Who Died Today?

Playing anything Clapton has ever played isn't 'hard'.

He gets credit for being an innovator on the instrument.

Its easy to lose sight of the fact that the electric guitar 'as we know it' was invented in the 1930's but wasn't used prominently in popular music until the 50's. The guys in the 60's- of which he is one- were the first to push the boundaries but for your typical GenX/GenY middling type who was raised during the 1980's and uber-technique shred, nothing Clapton ever did will pose much of a challenge if you started out wanting to play like Jason Becker.

Where he gets credit- like Hendrix- is that in many ways, he was the first to do 'certain stuff', or approach the instrument in the way that is now totally standard and everyone takes for granted in light of the bullshit contemporary onus to judge guitar talent strictly in terms of technique and how fast you can sweep pick arpeggios... and I'll say this. 461 is his best record, everyone disagrees with that and they're all wrong.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's colder than that, now.

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

jesus would somebody fucking just die already so we can get a break in the music snobbery here?

Posted Images

461 is great stuff. If I had to pick a favorite, then for me, it's easily 24 Nights.

It's a live album, though, so I'm not sure where those fall in the discussion of "best album":

<<< can't sweep pick for shit

jesus would somebody fucking just die already so we can get a break in the music snobbery here?

I agree and disagree. I do wish someone famous would die to change the subject, but I also don't think "snobbery" applies to many conversations about musicians who are including in the murals displayed at Guitar Center.

If the word "tone" appears, this thread is getting David Robinsoned.

• Like 2

Two ATHLETES at the World Chess Championships died within hours of each other.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/15/deaths-world-chess-olympiad-norway

Sounds like Russia has developed some interesting new poisons they haven't thought to test for.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw her earlier this year with Jen Kirkman. Joan had played San Francisco, and then flew down to LA for the gig--I think she booked some tv spots down here as well.

She went on first, Miss Lady did not have time to wait for anyone's set--she had things to do. She pranced around the stage at age 81 in stillettos. She was maybe 90 seconds into her act when she started with the Auschwitz jokes. That was a tough, professional woman.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

She was probably a member of SAG since the 80's. Union wages have to be good enough to pay the bills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...