Who Died Today?

Last thing, I felt incredibly dirty after watching scram's link above. I hate tmz and their disgusting camera men so much. They are so slimy, trying to buddy up. What an awful profession. I won't watch that show and am mad I gave them a view on that video.

They are the scum of the earth.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

He's colder than that, now.

God damn it, Fritz, you could have gone with "happy trails, bubby" there, and you ****ed it up.

Posted Images

He wrote the sappy soft rock ballad "Tears in Heaven" about it, although he'd stopped making anything worthwhile at least 15 years before then. The fact that he used to be a badass rocker made it all the more depressing when he slowly transformed himself into rock's version of Kenny G.

My favorite album of all time is "Clapton: Unplugged:"

Just to be clear; I still buy CD's, my last purchase was the Art Tatum boxed set. I own the complete works of most major classical composers. Hipsters curl up in the fetal position, shit themselves and sob in an overwhelming sense of resigned inferiority in the presence of my music collection, mostly vinyl but including stuff like one-off reel to reel live bootlegs.

Here's the first ever recorded Jazz Album.

aDFDnxi.jpg

I can transcribe by ear.

Explain to me how Clapton: Unplugged is 'rocks version of Kenny G'?

• Like 1

Clapton

He wrote the sappy soft rock ballad "Tears in Heaven" about it...

He co-wrote it with Will Jennings, who also wrote "My Heart Will Go On." The thing about "Tears in Heaven" is I cannot picture a guitar god heroin addict in grief when I listen to it.

Scram: Art Tatum is the alpha and omega and everyone else doesn't matter.

Normally I don't bother playing other peoples shit. Joao Gilberto and Jobim, some classical stuff, some Joe Pass, a random song here or there.

'Unplugged' is the only album I've ever bothered to learn cover to cover. Every song.

Technically speaking it's all pretty simple- Signe is about as tricky as it gets and it's really not that hard- but the whole album is like a perfect cheese pizza. Watershed moment in music, that's for sure.

Explain to me how Clapton: Unplugged is 'rocks version of Kenny G'?

I dunno, I haven't heard his Unplugged album. Maybe he did do some decent stuff in the last 30 years, maybe even some great stuff, although I'm not sure I'd like it much but that's just personal preference. Maybe I was too harsh. I just find his bad stuff to be so unbelievably bad, and all the more striking because he was so good at the start of his career with The Yardbirds and Cream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt2qBm4qS4w

You cannot convince me that song isn't trash. His cover of "I Shot the Sheriff" is an abomination (I'm not in love with the original or anything, but goddam is Clapton's terrible). His cover of Jimi's "Little Wing" just makes me wonder why the hell he bothered. Maybe his Unplugged album is great. He's done a lot of shit though.

One thing we can agree on is that Art Tatum is brilliant.

The 80's was a low point for every artist who emerged from one of the most legit musical decades ever- the 70's- and still had bad habits to feed.

Don't bullshit yourself. A large part of the 'legend' of Hendrix or Morrison is that they didn't live long enough cut cut a duet with Chaka Khan and a Keytar.

Was Claptons output in the 80's his best?

No. Money and Cigarettes was below average but 'Unplugged' is when he really brought it all together. It represented a total abandonment of commercial interest and a return to his own musical vision which resulted in a quasi-ironic masterpiece.

Thanks, though, for offering your keen opinion on Eric Clapton and his 'sappy soft rock ballad' and becoming Kenny G in the context of never having actually heard the album.

I'm not really a huge fan of Clapton's post-Cream solo career in general. Not to say he isn't talented, but it's just not my kettle of fish. I think Unplugged is better than anything he made in the 70's even, much less the 80's because it's simple and pure and utterly sad. He was finally able to play the blues, the real blues, after all that time. True, real pain comes out in it. He's dove straight into the blues since then, and I just am not interested in blues music. Like, I got my dad (who was a big clapton fan) me and Mr Johnson, and while I think it's cool that he's reppin'g RJ's stuff, I'd way rather just put on my Robert Johnson Cd's. The dude sounds like he's playing with 4 hands.

Thanks, though, for offering your keen opinion on Eric Clapton and his 'sappy soft rock ballad' and becoming Kenny G in the context of never having actually heard the album.

"Never having actually heard the album." Okay, well you're the one who decided to make the conversation about Clapton entirely about that one album. "Tears in Heaven" appears on Clapton Unplugged, I have learned, but that's not the original version. The version I've heard, the studio version, the single version, is not from that album. So I wasn't even talking about that version of the song. Maybe Clapton Unplugged is great. It's not the album I was talking about when I said he's Kenny G.

And I didn't even say that's his worst song or anything, just that it was a sappy soft rock ballad.

One of the big things is, Clapton does a lot of covers ( which is fine, btw), but I always like the originals way better than what Clapton does with the song. Like JJ Cale. Clapton covered him (and played with him) extensively, but I find Cale a way more compelling artist than Clapton, if not the pure Guitar God that clapton was.

For example, After midnight.

The Original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81Vx-0uM0k

a 1971 live version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ9feKpJkk

• Like 1

And ok, maybe it was a tiny bit unfair of me to give a mid-80s song as an example of terrible Clapton since so many major artists spent the 80s being terrible. Bob Dylan is one example. But most of the songs I mentioned aren't from that time period. Clapton covered Little Wing in 1970. Jimi covered a Clapton song too, and if anything, improved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLCmBppGAKY

Well, that was a cream song, not strictly a Clapton song, and the original is amazing. Jimi can't be ****ed with, though. I've been devouring those albums of unreleased stuff his family has been putting out. I can't think of another rock artist who's unreleased noodlings I would ever care about listening to.

I really like early Clapton. I think his involvement in the Yard Birds is overrated, but his Blues Breakers record is one of the greatest guitar sounds on record. I am really sick of cream anyway, but post-Cream is hit and miss for me, at absolute best. There are songs here and there...I think his is the quintessential "Knocking on Heaven's Door." But mostly, I can't stand it.

The Bob Dylan / Tom Petty "knocking" duet will never be topped for awesomeness.

False. Prince Cuckolding Tom Petty, Live on stage, playing "While my Guitar Gently weeps" is the greatest moment in music history..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

I'm not giving you any credit here for be correct, but I was, specifically, only speaking to versions and covers of "knocking on heavens door".

I'm not giving you any credit here for be correct, but I was, specifically, only speaking to versions and covers of "knocking on heavens door".

I thought you were talking about awesomeness in general. And go ahead and give me credit, you know I'm right. look at Petty turning into a puddle.