Who Died Today?

Lets all pray that Boner is found alive.
I'm thinking not very likely. You send your Dad a sad letter and then disappear...pretty bad odds for turning up happy and healthy.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

He's colder than that, now.

God damn it, Fritz, you could have gone with "happy trails, bubby" there, and you ****ed it up.

Posted Images

Nope.I thought Kirk Cameron was kind of a douche in the way he handled this. The poor kid had a lot of friends, Kirk apparently wasn't one of them, but of course he has to get media time to get his little Jesus plug in and say, "I'm praying for him." Thanks, Kirk -- that's pretty much literally the least you could do. Other people got out and searched. Now he'll probably make the rounds of the 700 Club and shows of that ilk to assert that Jesus could have saved Boner. Classy thing would have been to pray while you searched, and if you weren't willing to get out and do that much for him, just shut the hell up.In other death-related news, Brittany Murphy died of pneumonia, anemia, a combination of multiple prescription drugs, and, according to CNN, "was in a weakened state due to the onset of her menstrual cycle." First thought: how does a woman in her 20s get killed by a cold and her period? Second thought: I guess that tacky old joke is wrong and guys can trust her, for what that's worth.
Nope.I thought Kirk Cameron was kind of a douche in the way he handled this. The poor kid had a lot of friends, Kirk apparently wasn't one of them, but of course he has to get media time to get his little Jesus plug in and say, "I'm praying for him." Thanks, Kirk -- that's pretty much literally the least you could do. Other people got out and searched. Now he'll probably make the rounds of the 700 Club and shows of that ilk to assert that Jesus could have saved Boner. Classy thing would have been to pray while you searched, and if you weren't willing to get out and do that much for him, just shut the hell up.In other death-related news, Brittany Murphy died of pneumonia, anemia, a combination of multiple prescription drugs, and, according to CNN, "was in a weakened state due to the onset of her menstrual cycle." First thought: how does a woman in her 20s get killed by a cold and her period? Second thought: I guess that tacky old joke is wrong and guys can trust her, for what that's worth.
How is it Kirk's responsibility to look for some dude he knew 25 years ago? Why does he have to be friends with everyone he ever met or worked with? Why is praying for someone bad? When reporters come to him and ask him a question, would you prefer that he kick the reporter in the nuts? Why do you hate Christians so badly?
How is it Kirk's responsibility to look for some dude he knew 25 years ago? Why does he have to be friends with everyone he ever met or worked with? Why is praying for someone bad? When reporters come to him and ask him a question, would you prefer that he kick the reporter in the nuts? Why do you hate Christians so badly?
It's not his responsibility to look for someone. But if he didn't stay in touch and has nothing substantive to add, he could have had a little dignity and kept out of it.Yes, he totally should kick the reporter in the nuts. It would be awesome.Praying for someone is, I suppose, swell, but it's not exactly the same kind of practical help that a lot of other people gave. My point was that if he really cared, he should have done more; and if he really didn't care, he should have stayed out of it. Either path is fine. Instead, he took the douchiest path of "caring," but doing nothing useful.You understand -- it's the same criticism right-wingers level against Michael Moore for "caring" about unemployed auto workers while doing nothing practical for them.
In other death-related news, Brittany Murphy died of pneumonia, anemia, a combination of multiple prescription drugs, and, according to CNN, "was in a weakened state due to the onset of her menstrual cycle." First thought: how does a woman in her 20s get killed by a cold and her period? Second thought: I guess that tacky old joke is wrong and guys can trust her, for what that's worth.
you continue to impress
Whatever.Some people like to pray. Get over it.
I thought Kirk Cameron was kind of a douche in the way he handled this.
Overreaction. I'm thinking someone asked Kirk about Andrew and he replied that he'll pray for him. I doubt he scheduled a news conference to tell everyone.
Dead.http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/25/g...dex.html?hpt=T2
Actor Andrew Koenig, who had been missing since February 14, committed suicide, his father told reporters after his son's body was found Thursday in a park in Vancouver, British Columbia.
He was Chekov's kid.
Yeah, this was my reaction too.
You understand -- it's the same criticism right-wingers level against Michael Moore for "caring" about unemployed auto workers while doing nothing practical for them.
I hate to say it this way because it sounds so dumb, but it's an honest reaction, so... lol, no.
If this wasn't a constantly reoccurring theme with you in particular, I would let it go, but I'll be damned if you don't do this at least once a week. The last 9 or 10 posts are already talking about Boner being dead. Is it really that hard to read the thread? In fact, you had already responded to a post mentioning his death. I don't understand.EDIT: This post is probably coming off a lot meaner that I want it to, but whatever. I seriously don't understand the point of telling everyone that boner died when we've already been talking about it. I'm sure the answer is that I'm a douche.
If this wasn't a constantly reoccurring theme with you in particular, I would let it go, but I'll be damned if you don't do this at least once a week. The last 9 or 10 posts are already talking about Boner being dead. Is it really that hard to read the thread? In fact, you had already responded to a post mentioned his death. I don't understand.EDIT: This post is probably coming off a lot meaner that I want it to, but whatever. I seriously don't understand the point of telling everyone that boner died when we've already been talking about it. I'm sure the answer is that I'm a douche.
I am going to pray for you.
If this wasn't a constantly reoccurring theme with you in particular, I would let it go, but I'll be damned if you don't do this at least once a week. The last 9 or 10 posts are already talking about Boner being dead. Is it really that hard to read the thread? In fact, you had already responded to a post mentioned his death. I don't understand.EDIT: This post is probably coming off a lot meaner that I want it to, but whatever. I seriously don't understand the point of telling everyone that boner died when we've already been talking about it. I'm sure the answer is that I'm a douche.
Dude. Yes, you're a douche.Up to now I hadn't seen that his death had been confirmed. I thought I'd post a quick link to a current story indicating his body had been found and verified.WTF are you talking about with the "once a week" thing?
I didn't see any posts confirming his death. Lots of talk about him being missing and people praying.
I didn't see any posts confirming his death. Lots of talk about him being missing and people praying.
Well, I replied to "let's pray Boner is found alive" with "nope." Maybe I buried the lede there a little, maybe it was too subtle, I dunno.For brv, I like left-wing Christians fine -- Martin Luther King, Thomas Merton, Reinhold Neibuhr, liberation theologians, process theologians, Simone Weil, Theresa of Avila, fringe pacifist groups like the Bruderhof, etc.. I'm good with all them.
Well, I replied to "let's pray Boner is found alive" with "nope." Maybe I buried the lede there a little, maybe it was too subtle, I dunno.For brv, I like left-wing Christians fine -- Martin Luther King, Thomas Merton, Reinhold Neibuhr, liberation theologians, process theologians, Simone Weil, Theresa of Avila, fringe pacifist groups like the Bruderhof, etc.. I'm good with all them.
Yeah. I realize that now, but at the time I thought that "Nope" was just your intro into your rant about Cameron praying for the guy since g_mony was also "asking" for prayers.
I thought the "nope" was a comment about Valeri Bure's brother in law and his praying.
Because Jesus wouldn't waste free publicity, Kirk Cameron issued People the following statement regarding the suicide of his Growing Pains co-star Andrew Koenig:"It is with great sorrow to hear about the final outcome of the search for my old friend Andrew. I hope everyone will be sensitive to the Koenigs and give the family some private time to reflect and to grieve the loss of their beloved son. At a time like this, we all are reminded of the briefness of life and the importance of being ready for our eternal destination. My prayers will continue to be with Andrew's family."Listen, what happened to Andrew Koenig was, no question, tragic for his family. I couldn't even imagine. But let's be honest, nobody cared about Boner from Growing Pains until this week and now he's become an excuse for a bunch of people to pretend they're hyper-sensitive human beings with their "Oh, I'm hollow inside."; "My heart skipped a beat" and other fake sympathies. Even worse, you've got Kirk Cameron capitalizing on the death of "an old friend" he apparently never talked to just to push the oldest swindle known to man: Claiming to know what happens when you die.
- thesuperficial.com
- thesuperficial.com
That was a large part of my point. The other, probably much more subtle part, is that I'm impatient with anybody, left or right, who professes to "care" about an issue while not actually doing anything about it. They want the credit without the work -- and no, the truth is that they don't care. Not enough to be inconvenienced about it. Cameron is only one tiny example of a large phenomenon, and I happened to be in a grumpy enough mood to use him to expound on it.It comes from the fact, at least partly, that I've spent nearly my whole career working for non-profits (not just theatre, but at-risk kids, homelessness, violence against women, etc.). There is little more infuriating than hearing, "Oh, I'm so worried about issue X," and when you say "okay, then, volunteer for us or make a donation," then they hmm and haw and trail off and wander away. Yeah, you're worried, all right. I'd far rather be told honestly, "I don't care about that issue." That's fine -- everybody's got different things to care about. But own your not caring -- don't pretend to care while doing nothing.Anyway, this all belongs in the politics or religion forums. As far as who died today, probably a whole shitload of Chileans, and hopefully not another shitload in Hawaii or California due to a tsunami. 8.8 is a huge earthquake -- the death toll will probably be along the lines of Haiti or the 2004 tsunami when all are accounted for.P.S. "It is with great sorrow to hear about?" The douche can't even use his own native tongue correctly in a prepared statement -- although to his credit, the statement is classier and more subdued than I would have expected.
That was a large part of my point. The other, probably much more subtle part, is that I'm impatient with anybody, left or right, who professes to "care" about an issue while not actually doing anything about it. They want the credit without the work -- and no, the truth is that they don't care. Not enough to be inconvenienced about it. Cameron is only one tiny example of a large phenomenon, and I happened to be in a grumpy enough mood to use him to expound on it.
Well, a lot of people think that praying is doing something about it. Feel free to remark on how stupid that may be, but it's a bit rough to claim that anybody who says they're praying about something is just lazy and/or lying.