*** Official Portland Trailblazer's Team Thread ***

I had fun this morning reading Simmons article about what was going to happen in game 3 of the Bulls/Celtics series and having him be pretty much wrong on every possible level.
Yeah.. he hit the ATL-BOS comparison from last year right on the head.. but yeah.. everyone who was prematurely tossing dirt on the Celtic's grave was awful premature. The most interesting subplot of that series/this postseason is how it could completely make or break Big Baby Davis as an NBA player. What an incredible opportunity for Davis to have. And now with Powe down, he's unquestionably their only real option at the 4.
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, Houston's shooting 55% and we're still within a touchdown and a field goal.. We'll see... WTF with Carl Landry dominating inside? What is this, 2008?

If they steal this game, I don't know if Houston recovers in the series.
Ugh, yeah. Hard fought series.. There just really isn't much more to say. I really think it probably goes 7 one way or another. Houston certainly isn't swaggering right about now. Sick to think how close it was to swinging 2-1 the other way.If Portland could ever figure out a way to start even moderately well coming out of the gate....But alas... We shall see what Game 4 holds.Really weird game... Outside of Rudy, Landry, and Scola, you'd be hard pressed to say anyone else on either team had a really good "half".. much less a full game.Well, Battier was impressive at both ends., too.Both these teams got loads of room for improvement. Tonight was a really ugly game.
Ugh, yeah. Hard fought series.. There just really isn't much more to say. I really think it probably goes 7 one way or another. Houston certainly isn't swaggering right about now. Sick to think how close it was to swinging 2-1 the other way.If Portland could ever figure out a way to start even moderately well coming out of the gate....But alas... We shall see what Game 4 holds.Really weird game... Outside of Rudy, Landry, and Scola, you'd be hard pressed to say anyone else on either team had a really good "half".. much less a full game.Well, Battier was impressive at both ends., too.Both these teams got loads of room for improvement. Tonight was a really ugly game.
I'm really rooting for Portland in this series, and it's frustrating as hell to watch them shoot jumper after jumper after jumper. I can't imagine what it's like for Blazer fans.
I'm really rooting for Portland in this series, and it's frustrating as hell to watch them shoot jumper after jumper after jumper. I can't imagine what it's like for Blazer fans.
It was tougher in 2000 ;)The players will always react to the way the game is called, if you aren't getting many calls in your favor, you are more prone to pulling up and taking the jumper.. It's especially bad for younger players, since shooting jump shots gives a decent % chance of a positive outcome and there's like a 0% chance you'll turn the "officially" turn the ball over. Never mind that 18 ft jumper gave the other team a great fast break chance w/ numbers..It's exponentially worse because the Rockets don't run, so it's even more incentive to jack it up from outside. And it's another reason Oden could SOOOO be the savior.. Greg is the first big man in a Blazer uni since Buck Williams/Kersey era that can put big guys in foul trouble and doesn't face up and jump shoot. When he gets in foul trouble, it's doubly rough cuz he's the only guy besides Roy that can put the opposing front line in foul troubleI have more faith then I let on.. Oden is going to be a ton better next year. I doubt he'll ever be historically remembered in the same light as Durant, but the Blazers really needed a physical inside presence, and he very well could provide it. Will he be a Dwight Howard? LOL no, but he might be able to put up some Al Thorton/Okafor type numbers down the road. We'll see. He is technically a 20 yr old rookie, after all.
Nice pass Joel...
heh... adrenaline is a bitch sometimes, and Joel had about 0.00542350235ths of a second to get the ball the f*ck out of his own hands (Joel not too keen on the free throws...). So I don't overly blame him.Two games in Houston decided by a total of 4 points. So close and yet so far.All I know is if we win game 5, Houston is not going to be giddy about a Game 6.[x] still believes this is going 7.[x] believes that if you were stuck with the Rockets (sans McGrady) on NBA Live '09 you'd get blown out by 30 every game.A real testament to how solid they really are. They are starting to remind me of vintage Spurs: about 10x better than they have any right to be. And yet.. I mean, we're a couple shooter's bounces away from this series going back to Portland w/ the Blazers up 3-1. I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm glad we got a great chance to send this back to Houston for an epic game 6. It's really hard to count Portland out at this point: we're in every game and now completely have nothing to lose.We're gonna be so much better next year.
Those losses in Houston were just brutal.
There's a huge movement right now to blame the officiating (which i can charitably call inconsistent, and honestly say has been awfully weighted in Houston's favor), but I think that's a cop out.A *big* cop out. Cuz this Blazer team is good enough to blow the doors off Houston if it was Donaghy, Palmer, and Leslie Neilson from Naked Gun out there...The hidden whispering tells the real story: a young team (like portland) is going to be affected by shoddy reffing a lot more than an experienced team will. It eats away at the younger guys, especially those who aren't adept at jawing with the refs. And obviously Nate can't jump up and down every play and effectively get in any zebra's ear..But meh... I think this has been a learning experience in that regard. I will definitely go out and buy some laker purple and gold and root for LA to beat the Nugget's 58 point ceiling in the next series. I wanna see Shane Battier weep and gnash his teeth on national television.Double meh: we were supposed to blow the doors off of the Spurs and lose to the Lakers in 6 gdi. And why didn't we? Oh yeah, ****ING REFS! lol. So I guess I am mad at the refs.. in that effing Sacramento game.As long as Roy laces up the sneakers tonight and isn't wearing a depends and throwing up his kidneys, I think Portland will take it to a 6th game.. Roy has been the absolute MAN in this series. He's grown.. Couldn't f*cking tell you if anyone else has.. but Roy has for sure lol.If it gets back to Houston for game 6, exactly how confident are you as a Rocket Fan? Yeah, I thought so. :club: Those Game 1 yips really robbed everyone involved of a really good series. meh.
The hidden whispering tells the real story: a young team (like portland) is going to be affected by shoddy reffing a lot more than an experienced team will. It eats away at the younger guys, especially those who aren't adept at jawing with the refs. And obviously Nate can't jump up and down every play and effectively get in any zebra's ear..
What are your impressions of McMillan?
What are your impressions of McMillan?
Saintly. He's taken a young team and gotten them to win consistently at home and on the road. it's unheard of in this day and age.If I can find a complaint, it's the fact that they run a horrible half court unimaginative offense that takes 0 advantage of their roster's talents. The only player on that entire team who isn't 100% conducive to running is Joel, and even he's fairly mobile for a big man. The team needs a 3rd scorer and an identy.. 1/2 of it can potentially be blamed on nate... but i dunno. it's not like there was a bevy of coaches lined around the block to interview for Portland.Everything i've mentioned can happen and change for the better with Nate at the helm, though. We'll see.
I'm disappointed I didn't get to see this game and instead was forced to watch the Spurs crumble.
I'm bummed the world hasn't seen the LOL reffing in much of this series (both ways). It's got a distinct WWE-feel to it. You almost expect Scola to come in out of the rafters and down Roy with a steel chair.JR: "LOOK OUT KING! He's got a chair! OH MY GOD! Roy is down, Roy is down! With Crawford's back turned, he's busy calling Oden for 3 in the key! Oh the madness, King!"Lawler: "Yes, JR, it looks bad for the Blazers right now.. But wait! Sergio has Palmer distracted..."JR: "RUDY GOT THE BELT! Ming never saw it coming. OH THE HORROR! WHAT A DESPICABLE ACT!"Ok, I'm being over dramatic.. But these games are so off-the-charts mis-officiated it's complete chaos out there. For both teams.It's getting to the point you're ashamed to admit you're an NBA fan.. You're like that 10 year old kid "NO I SWEAR ITS REAL!".On a side note: I'm sure Houston isn't entirely thrilled to be playing a game 6.. And if Crawford is manning the court, I give the Blazers about an 89% chance to win, roughly.

Lets go Rockets. I would much rather have the Lakers face them than the Blazers. it seems we haven't won at the rose garden in over 23890 years.

I'm bummed the world hasn't seen the LOL reffing in much of this series (both ways). It's got a distinct WWE-feel to it. You almost expect Scola to come in out of the rafters and down Roy with a steel chair.
I think it's been that way in every series.
Lets go Rockets. I would much rather have the Lakers face them than the Blazers. it seems we haven't won at the rose garden in over 23890 years.
Well, yeah, of course. We all know the Lakers would murder the rockets.. at least with the Blazers there's the drama of "will porltand implode or explode?".
I think it's been that way in every series.
It's been really ugly to watch. Not sure if there is a solution.And there's the tip! Let the circus begin. GO BLAZERS.

GG Blazers.No hi-jinks, no shady officiating. Houston was the better team tonight and it showed.Roy and Aldridge were the only two Blazers to show up in this series, end of story.Bittersweet to be done in by the one guy i've been clamoring for Portland to get the last *2* seasons: Ron Artest.It was certainly a learning experience for the Blazers. We gave Houston a heckuva series, and we'll be back next year to make some more noise a bit longer in the tooth, and hungrier for postseason success.Expect a full season wrap-up post or two from me in the next day or two.. I'll be drinking heavily in the meantime. Sigh.

Double post.Heh, truly nothing has gone right tonight.

heh... adrenaline is a bitch sometimes, and Joel had about 0.00542350235ths of a second to get the ball the f*ck out of his own hands (Joel not too keen on the free throws...). So I don't overly blame him.Two games in Houston decided by a total of 4 points. So close and yet so far.All I know is if we win game 5, Houston is not going to be giddy about a Game 6.[x] still believes this is going 7.[x] believes that if you were stuck with the Rockets (sans McGrady) on NBA Live '09 you'd get blown out by 30 every game.A real testament to how solid they really are. They are starting to remind me of vintage Spurs: about 10x better than they have any right to be. And yet.. I mean, we're a couple shooter's bounces away from this series going back to Portland w/ the Blazers up 3-1. I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm glad we got a great chance to send this back to Houston for an epic game 6. It's really hard to count Portland out at this point: we're in every game and now completely have nothing to lose.We're gonna be so much better next year.
In 2k9 I can win through Yao alone. Can't stop me on offense and you have to shoot over 50% from the 3pt line to beat me...you ain't scoring in the paint with Yao in the middle. Only downfall is I gotta call a lot of timeouts...that dude gets tired too fast.
  • 5 months later...

Where's Cappy? I miss his basketball posts.It's kind of weird to sign Andre Miller for all that money and then bring him off the bench. Especially since he is much better than Blake. But if they're going to do that, this team's bench has to be as good as anyone's, right? Andre Miller, Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, and Joel Pryzbilla.

• 1 month later...
WOW!I consider the Lakers to be the luckiest franchise in the history of basketball. The Blazers have got to be right there for unluckiest, right?
We need Cappy in here to talk about how they're not unlucky, they're just dumb for drafting Oden instead of Durant.
We need Cappy in here to talk about how they're not unlucky, they're just dumb for drafting Oden instead of Durant.
hindsight is 20/20. Breaking your patellar is pretty random. At least, Portland is still really good without Oden.