*** Official Portland Trailblazer's Team Thread ***

Another statistic-er. I see people cite stats this way and it doesn't have any relevance. You don't add up the pts rebs assts of players and say, ok, this is how many of these we get as a team.Gerald Wallace is a huge upgrade over Travis Outlaw. You like stats but say Outlaw is a better shooter. Well Wallace has a better FG% and FT%, Outlaw has a better 3FG% but he doesn't shoot two a game. Now ignoring all stats I would agree that Outlaw is a better pure shooter than Gerald Wallace, but Wallace is a scorer not a shooter. As Cappy knows, the Blazers need a scorer, Gerald Wallace is that.
Is Wallace a better scorer? I guess I shouldn't use stats with you, but Wallace only scores 4 more ppg, but plays 10 more minutes per game than Outlaw. Is Wallace going to get more shots with the Blazers than he does with the Bobcats? Or is it more likely that he gets less shots? I just don't see how Wallace is that much of an upgrade, much less a "huge upgrade."Obviously I haven't seen many Bobcats games, so maybe there's more to Wallace than what I've read. But, as Cappy has mentioned, you do have to consider the chemistry issues of the team by trading away Roy's bff.
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Wallace a better scorer? I guess I shouldn't use stats with you, but Wallace only scores 4 more ppg, but plays 10 more minutes per game than Outlaw. Is Wallace going to get more shots with the Blazers than he does with the Bobcats? Or is it more likely that he gets less shots? I just don't see how Wallace is that much of an upgrade, much less a "huge upgrade."Obviously I haven't seen many Bobcats games, so maybe there's more to Wallace than what I've read. But, as Cappy has mentioned, you do have to consider the chemistry issues of the team by trading away Roy's bff.
This is how meaningless stats are. Zach Randolph is avg 22/10.7, Tim Duncan is avg 20.5/10.5How long do you think it would take Portland to call MJ back if he left a message asking if they'd do Wallace for Outlaw? I would worry about chemistry issues bringing in Wallace, he seems like a guy playing for a living instead of the game itself. Although, he's only played for Sacramento and Charlotte so he hasn't really had much of a choice.
This is how meaningless stats are. Zach Randolph is avg 22/10.7, Tim Duncan is avg 20.5/10.5How long do you think it would take Portland to call MJ back if he left a message asking if they'd do Wallace for Outlaw? I would worry about chemistry issues bringing in Wallace, he seems like a guy playing for a living instead of the game itself. Although, he's only played for Sacramento and Charlotte so he hasn't really had much of a choice.
Your first and last parts support my position, I think. I don't know about the middle part.You should always be worried about the guy on the bad team who is just getting his. Wallace is more Zach Randolph then Tim Duncan. (Obviously neither guy is Tim Duncan in this case.) But if you can tell me that you've watched a lot of games of both Outlaw and Wallace and can tell that Wallace is a much better player, then I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't seen Wallace much.
Your first and last parts support my position, I think. I don't know about the middle part.You should always be worried about the guy on the bad team who is just getting his. Wallace is more Zach Randolph then Tim Duncan. (Obviously neither guy is Tim Duncan in this case.) But if you can tell me that you've watched a lot of games of both Outlaw and Wallace and can tell that Wallace is a much better player, then I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't seen Wallace much.
That was funny.The last part I was agreeing that it would be a chemistry risk bringing in Wallace.The first part, I don't know, I'm kind of lost in my argument now, I forgot where I was going.I've seen a lot of the Blazers this year, and a fair amount last year, and strangely I have seen some Bobcat games this year, they're kind of intriguing to me. Lots of potentially good players who could really help out a lot of teams. And I'm pretty familiar with Wallace's game, and I think would be a tremendous 3rd scorer on a contending team who can even take over a game for a stretch. I'm pretty certain I couldn't find a team in the league that would take Outlaw over Wallace.Btw, I'm reading Wang's relationship breakdown in the sick thread as I'm trying to discuss this topic and everything I say feels foolish and stupid compared to how he analyzes everything. I don't like the way Wang makes me feel.
Btw, I'm reading Wang's relationship breakdown in the sick thread as I'm trying to discuss this topic and everything I say feels foolish and stupid compared to how he analyzes everything. I don't like the way Wang makes me feel.
Yeah, but we've just expended over 500 words on the virtues of Travis Outlaw and Gerald Wallace. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.I just read some trade stuff over on ESPN the Website and saw that Chad Ford was offering Batum, Sergio, and Rafe's contract for Gerald Wallace and Sean May. I was under the impression that Outlaw would be leaving by bringing in Wallace. I would do this trade if I were the Blazers.Oh, and the Bobcats just traded for Tyson Chandler. Can't remember who they gave up...Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith? Is Joe Smith even on the Bobcats?

I want Bayless, Fernandez, and LaFrentz. You get Parker and Mason. I'm happy and salaries work, now make it happen! It's just me dreaming but it would make the Spurs so much younger and give Pop two experiments at PG that are long and rookies. After we do that trade, I'm also trading Kurt Thomas and Finley for Camby.Camby/BonnerDuncanGinobili/BowenFernandez/UdokaBayless/Hill/VaughnGod I'd love that team.

Oh, and the Bobcats just traded for Tyson Chandler. Can't remember who they gave up...Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith? Is Joe Smith even on the Bobcats?
silly woman, you mean the THUNDERcats traded for Ty Chan. in a total salary dump by New Orleans. way to throw in the towel there.
I want Bayless, Fernandez, and LaFrentz. You get Parker and Mason. I'm happy and salaries work, now make it happen! It's just me dreaming but it would make the Spurs so much younger and give Pop two experiments at PG that are long and rookies. After we do that trade, I'm also trading Kurt Thomas and Finley for Camby.Camby/BonnerDuncanGinobili/BowenFernandez/UdokaBayless/Hill/VaughnGod I'd love that team.
you've lost your fucking mind.
Yeah, but we've just expended over 500 words on the virtues of Travis Outlaw and Gerald Wallace. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.I just read some trade stuff over on ESPN the Website and saw that Chad Ford was offering Batum, Sergio, and Rafe's contract for Gerald Wallace and Sean May. I was under the impression that Outlaw would be leaving by bringing in Wallace. I would do this trade if I were the Blazers.Oh, and the Bobcats just traded for Tyson Chandler. Can't remember who they gave up...Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith? Is Joe Smith even on the Bobcats?
That's a steal for Portland if they can pull that off.Joe Smith was on the Thunder. Word is that NO is going to buy him out, then he's going to Boston, which is why Boston traded Cassell to free up a roster spot. They don't even get that 2nd rd pick for Cassell if he's bought out.
Keep dreaming.
silly woman, you mean the THUNDERcats traded for Ty Chan. in a total salary dump by New Orleans. way to throw in the towel there.
Hornets are in financial trouble and might be moving to Seattle. Word on the street.
I'll call Pritchard right now if anyone can give me the number.. Keep Mason though, I'm worried Nate would want to play him. We'll take Udoka instead.. I always loved that guy. We'll even toss in Sergio to back up Bayless if you want.
Hornets are in financial trouble and might be moving to Seattle. Word on the street.
1/2 the league is in financial crisis.. This is nothing new. But Seattle? Wow.. I haven't heard *anything* about that. I can't imagine anyone jumping out of New Orleans, it's a solid sports city. Although NO is pretty notorious for not having the highest per-capita income.. That's more of a social class/poverty thing, though. I honestly hope it doesn't happen. The last thing I need is Chris Paul and David West magically in my f*cking division.

3 random points of interest:1. ) congrats to Durant for scoring 47 tonight. If no one else is going to start an OKC thread, I may have to, gdi.2. ) F*CK YOU to New Orleans for dumping Chandler to OKC when the Blazers still have 3 gimme games against OKC left on the schedule.. That seriously messes with our Mojo.. We were 0-1 in that gimme "foursome" as it was.. sigh..3. ) Tmac shuts it down for the year!!! That knocks the rockets out of the Vince Carter sweepstakes, and likely out of the playoff hunt as well.. It's a sweet time to be a Maverick/Hornet/Jazz/Sun fan right now. Looks like the ol' reliable Houston injury bug saved *4* prospective playoff sweats. Usually Denver is fighting Houston for the right, but they traded Camby and somehow are the 2nd best record in the West. gdi.Anyways, Houston out of the Vince Carter sweepstakes puts Portland clearly in the lead at the moment. Should be interesting to see if it's a Outlaw/Sergio/Raef offer or a Batum/Sergio/Raef offer that comes into play. Would not be surprised to see the latter along with Frye's expiring deal worked in and taking some luggage back in return.One final little tangent: RON ARTEST RIPE FOR PICKIN'...I know it makes 0 sense with our good guy image, but damn if Artest isnt *everything* else i want in a freakin' SF.. If we could work out a contract extension ahead of time, we could send Outlaw and Frye and Sergio for Artest and keep the friggin contract... Hell, we could then take the Raef contract and Bayless and and Batum and steal Nash from Phx (I'm really reaching at this point..Nash - BlakeRoy Artest - FernandezAldridge - DioguOden - Pryzbilla And whatever riff raff trickles in to even out the roster.. Pretty silly, I know, but I love me some NBA trade machine.My prediction: We'll give away too much as the only serious bidder on Vince Carter. But that's ok, because we have much excess to give. Artest has always been my soft spot, though.My wildcard: We give up the world for Caron Butler. And I'm ok with that, too..My worry: we give up the world for RJ or Wallace.My real worry: Pritchard actually overvalues Outlaw and we stand pat.God I love this time of year!!!!!!!

Oh, and the Bobcats just traded for Tyson Chandler. Can't remember who they gave up...Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith? Is Joe Smith even on the Bobcats?
I promise you the headline said Chandler to Bobcats when it was first announced. See my confusion above when I said, "Is Joe Smith even on the Bobcats?" Obviously it seemed wrong to me, but it wasn't important enough for me to investigate further.Portland needs to do something. I read that most GM's consider Raef's contract the most valuable asset available. More valuable than Amare.
Portland needs to do something. I read that most GM's consider Raef's contract the most valuable asset available. More valuable than Amare.
i dont think they should give up the world for vinsanity. or rj. now caron butler, he's a different story. gerald wallace is okay i guess. but to me, caron butler is a huge get for them. but he probably isnt going anywhere, so yeah.

A trade that makes a lot more sense for the Wizards would be to send Jamison to Cleveland for Wally Sczerbeecontract.That said, at this point I just wanna see something happen, and if anyone can pry Butler free from Washington, it's likely Pritchard.Oh, and I will be a really happy camper tonight, as I:1. ) Recap Durant going for 47 last night 2. ) Revel in Greg Oden's DNP-INJ tonight vs. Memphis w/ bone chips in knee3. ) Get to see Darius Miles play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh, just kill me now.. seriously..

The Chicago Bulls and Sacramento Kings have reached tentative agreement on a trade sending Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons to the Kings for Brad Miller and John Salmons, ESPN.com.One source said the Bulls players were pulled off the team bus Wednesday afternoon and were told they had been traded. Michael Ruffin of the Bulls also was told be was being traded to Portland in a separate deal, the source added.Another source said the trade was expected to be finalized by Wednesday evening. Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3916703Could Deng be a Blazer?

Michael Ruffin of the Bulls also was told be was being traded to Portland in a separate deal, the source added.Could Deng be a Blazer?
No, Deng isn't a Blazer. The key part of that trade was the Blazers, by adding Ike Diogu into the mix, gained a $3.13 mil trade exception, which is an absolute *steal* for Diogu. Seriously, if the Blazers do nothing before the deadline besides trade Diogu for a $3mil+ exception, that's still a good trade deadline for Portland.The Nets want Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, AND the Lafrentz contract for Vince Carter.Rod Thorn is a delusional motherf*cker. Portland can have Jefferson for much cheaper, or Gerald Wallace / Caron Butler (much better fits/younger/more managable salaries) for that price.I'd like to award the gameball tonight in the Blazers blowout 94-90 home win against Memphis to Greg Oden, who discovered a way to keep out of foul trouble: street clothes.Considering I listened to the whole first half on the radio on the way home from the dentist (yay!), I'm shocked Aldridge ended 6-17 from the field, since I physically heard him get 4 dunks and a finger roll layup before halftime. He must have really stunk up the joint in the second half. C'mon LA, I don't wanna see you form old habits: finish the games out!Tonight's game really illustrated that besides Roy and occasionally Aldridge.. This team *needs* someone else to step up and keep defenses honest and off Roy's back. We need to pull the trigger on something. I just hope it's somthing a little more palpable than giving up the whole kitchen sink for Carter, which would probably be a big mistake in the long run.Seriously, giving up Fernandez and Outlaw and the contract is way excessive, and still leaves us with three B- point guards. NJ is a bummer of a trade partners, since they already have Harris and a solid backup at the point: they have 0 need for Sergio Blake or Bayless =/
Seriously, giving up Fernandez and Outlaw and the contract is way excessive, and still leaves us with three B- point guards. NJ is a bummer of a trade partners, since they already have Harris and a solid backup at the point: they have 0 need for Sergio Blake or Bayless =/
Well all of Lakerland is very very thankful that Rod Thorn wants the world for his players. I wouldn't pull the trigger on that either when apparently you can get Jefferson for free basically.
Well all of Lakerland is very very thankful that Rod Thorn wants the world for his players. I wouldn't pull the trigger on that either when apparently you can get Jefferson for free basically.
Someone needs to remind Thorn that Carter is 32, and there's *at least* 4 other small forwards out there for the taking, devaluing Carter futher.. The McGrady injury really hurt NJ in the bargaining process, since the Blazers aren't even really bidding against anyone anymore.Hell, you wave the Raef contract, Sergio, and Batum at the Suns, and they'll likely give up Jason Richardson in the process. His BYC status isn't even a problem, because of the Blazer's newly received trade exception. :club:
Hell, you wave the Raef contract, Sergio, and Batum at the Suns, and they'll likely give up Jason Richardson in the process. His BYC status isn't even a problem, because of the Blazer's newly received trade exception. :club:
If you call Sarver with that deal instead of Kerr, it's done.
If you call Sarver with that deal instead of Kerr, it's done.
Apparently Pritchard forgot to. I still consider Portland a big winner for the trade deadline: they turned their 12th man into a $3.13 mil trade exception, they didn't panic and give up the farm (and cap space) for anyone who didn't fit.Honestly the only way Portland could have botched things was to send out too much (Fernandez and Outlaw) for Gerald Wallace or Vince Carter. Portland is going to have enough cap space to make a run at somone this offseason. Will the amount they have to offer (+ the incredibly favorable talented roster situation in Portland) be enough to lure a legit PG/SF into Portland? That's the gamble the Blazers will have to make.I'm only worried that Sergio is going to walk after the season and we will have gotten nothing for him. Although gauging from league reaction, there wasn't much interest in him to begin with. Yeah, I would have liked to see some fireworks, but it was never about "win a championship this season". My sole worry is this deadline was essentially our only real chance to lure someone Grade A calibur into Portland, because we've always had trouble luring top notch talent into the Rose city via free agency. Time will tell.

Oden's missing the next couple of games with injury.I sincerely hope that time is spent in the film room, watching Kevin Durant footage, while Nate McMillan smacks him with a rolled up newspaper.

Oden's missing the next couple of games with injury.I sincerely hope that time is spent in the film room, watching Kevin Durant footage, while Nate McMillan smacks him with a rolled up newspaper.
I don't know how many people have told you that you were very right about this, but you were. I don't frequent this forum that much anymore, but I was very much a believer in Oden and while I haven't given up on him, Durant is a surefire beast. It's so bad that the first time I typed his name I wrote Odom, and was like, I don't think that's right :club:
I don't know how many people have told you that you were very right about this, but you were. I don't frequent this forum that much anymore, but I was very much a believer in Oden and while I haven't given up on him, Durant is a surefire beast. It's so bad that the first time I typed his name I wrote Odom, and was like, I don't think that's right :club:
I haven't given up on Oden entirely, the idea that the Blazers needed a servicable big far more than another wing player is an idea I understand completely. The danger is I'm not sure between health and sheer heart, Oden is going to be able to live up to the "servicable" big for half as many years as Durant will be pwning this league.On a brighter note, nice win tonight against Atlanta in the garden. Blake is shaking off the injury bug nicely, Aldridge rebounded from a horrendous 2nd half the other night to put up a solid showing.I'm still in a bit of the trade deadline haze, but I'm ready to step up and admit we did the right thing by largely standing pat and i hope we got a fair shake in the playoffs. There's not a lot of teams out there that want to play us for seven games, and I'd love the chance to play the Hornets at home and then scare the living bejesus out of the Lakers in the second round. :ts
There's not a lot of teams out there that want to play us for seven games, and I'd love the chance to play the Hornets at home and then scare the living bejesus out of the Lakers in the second round. :club:
I'd love to play a Denver/Portland winner in the 2nd rd. It's the first round that scares me the most, Phx/Utah/Hou.
I'd love to play a Denver/Portland winner in the 2nd rd. It's the first round that scares me the most, Phx/Utah/Hou.
Wouldn't work that way.. since we are same division, either Den or Portland is guaranteed a top 3 seed..And I would assume you'd rather play New Orleans than Portland, if you cared in the first place (doubt it matters).It's weird.. every year Houston gets out to a great start.. has some horrendous season ending injuries... and they still make the playoffs in a strong conference with a skeleton crew. Looks like it's gonna happen again.I seriously have no clue who the odd team out is going to be anymore.. At the start of the year it was obviously Dallas.. Then it was apparent it was gonna be the Suns. Then the Hornets looked dead in the water. And the whole way Utah was probably the overall favorite. And now it's the Rockets missing vital pieces in Tmac and their *incredibly zomgwtfbbq valuable* point guard Rafer Alston...In the meantime, there's teams in the East with 31+ losses that have meritable chances of making the playoffs.. le sigh.I think I'm just going to give Rafer the nickname "Scud" from now on, since it seems to take me 3 tries to correctly type his name out for some reason.'