*** Official Portland Trailblazer's Team Thread ***

Cappy tells it how it is. NO without Chris Paul is in a lot of trouble. They may have been servicable with Pargo still on the team, but they no longer have any point they can use properly and players like Tyson Chandler and Peja become next to useless on offense. David West can create his own shot from what I've seen, but not at an "all-star" level so to speak, or create for others. They might have to bring back the James Posey point-forward Memphis golden era.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cappy tells it how it is. NO without Chris Paul is in a lot of trouble. They may have been servicable with Pargo still on the team, but they no longer have any point they can use properly and players like Tyson Chandler and Peja become next to useless on offense. David West can create his own shot from what I've seen, but not at an "all-star" level so to speak, or create for others. They might have to bring back the James Posey point-forward Memphis golden era.
Well, it's not gonna be West's fault. It's too easy to double West if Peja isn't throwing up darts. It's like in poker when you've been caught bluffing a few times at the table and all you have left is to showdown a few hands. Paul let's them play LAG and manufacture offense. Without Paul, they need to play longball.. And yeah, deense is gonna be rough. Paul is such a tremendous defensive presence both on-ball and in the passing lanes... Daniels isn't going to be able to fill those shoes, much less run th offense. Looks like Paul is gonna be day-to-day though, so our prayers are with you Hornets fans.

Well, that decisively closes the book on the whole silly Oden v. Durant argument. It's not so much that Durant outplayed Oden (he did), but that Nick freaking Collison pwned Oden *and* got him in foul trouble.Be thankful you f*ckers don't actually live up here like I do.. I got to spend the last 48 hours listening to the sports talk media viciously defend the Oden pick over Durant.. Some of the ass-clowns were even ascertaining they would still take Oden if they had it to do all over again. I get the fact that they are both 21. Really, I do. But BS is BS...I actually heard an argument that Durant has played 86 more games than Oden, so Oden is at a disadvantage when we judge their growth + performane. Damn right it's a disadvantage, he's damaged f*cking goods and thats why you'd pick Durant in the first place. Jordanesque swingman vs. injured big man. Freakin' "sigh".....Really, the worst part isn't eating the $#!t sandwich.. I've grown to accept that. It's being told that you are being served a 5 star Reuben. We just got run out of the gym by an 11-38 team, because our Kevin Durant-like player couln't get any freaking help. I'm seriously pissed right now. One of the reasons I like honest/gruff media guys like Colin Cowherd so much is he'll call out utter bs like this.

No...
ok, overstatement..But Durant *was* the best player in college basketball that year.
ok, overstatement..But Durant *was* the best player in college basketball that year.
Debatable...And for the pro game, he still has to slender of a frame. Besides the Blazers already had a swingman who can drop 30 a night if needed.
Debatable...And for the pro game, he still has to slender of a frame. Besides the Blazers already had a swingman who can drop 30 a night if needed.
No, the Blazers have a combo guard who can drop 30 a night. :club: We could use a swingman who can actually put up 30 points in 48 minutes with other people actually in the gym. B-Roy, Aldridge and Durant could easily have been side to side.. Ugh.. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it.
No, the Blazers have a combo guard who can drop 30 a night. :club: We could use a swingman who can actually put up 30 points in 48 minutes with other people actually in the gym. B-Roy, Aldridge and Durant could easily have been side to side.. Ugh.. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it.
How many teams are really successful with 2 30 a night guys though?
How many teams are really successful with 2 30 a night guys though?
It's not a matter of dropping 30 a night, it's a matter of being *able* to. Shaq and Kobe come to mind. Hakeem and Clyde... Duncan and Parker/Ginobli... Jordan and Pippen... et al.. It's not an automatic formula.. Having 2 guys who can score 30 doesnt guarantee a championship, but you aren't likely to win a championship without at least 2 guys capable of bringing 30 at least twice in a series.But you're right, the real point is to have two that shine and a 3rd who can also step up and be that 3rd option. Lakers had Rice/Fox/Horry/etc... Spurs have the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli trifecta.. Jordan and Pip had Kukoc/Paxson/Grant.. Hakeem and Clyde had a KSmith/Cassell combo at PG and Vernon Maxwell/Thorpe at the forward slots.Last year's Celtics had the Big Three plus Rondo.You need more than two, no question. My point is Roy/Aldridge/Durant would be one hell of a nucleas. Imagine what Durant could be without being the constant focus of the defense. NBA Centers are like NFL running backs, they have short shelf live.... and usually bad knees by their 5th season. You could fill a shuttle bus with the names of all-star calibur NBA centers who lost a good chunk of their projected career to knees (or worse). Durant is gonna be plugging away for 15 years no matter what. Oden could be out of the NBA by 28. Ask LA fans how they feel about Bynum is 5 years right now. See what I mean?
It's not a matter of dropping 30 a night, it's a matter of being *able* to. Shaq and Kobe come to mind. Hakeem and Clyde... Duncan and Parker/Ginobli... Jordan and Pippen... et al.. It's not an automatic formula.. Having 2 guys who can score 30 doesnt guarantee a championship, but you aren't likely to win a championship without at least 2 guys capable of bringing 30 at least twice in a series.But you're right, the real point is to have two that shine and a 3rd who can also step up and be that 3rd option. Lakers had Rice/Fox/Horry/etc... Spurs have the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli trifecta.. Jordan and Pip had Kukoc/Paxson/Grant.. Hakeem and Clyde had a KSmith/Cassell combo at PG and Vernon Maxwell/Thorpe at the forward slots.Last year's Celtics had the Big Three plus Rondo.You need more than two, no question. My point is Roy/Aldridge/Durant would be one hell of a nucleas. Imagine what Durant could be without being the constant focus of the defense. NBA Centers are like NFL running backs, they have short shelf live.... and usually bad knees by their 5th season. You could fill a shuttle bus with the names of all-star calibur NBA centers who lost a good chunk of their projected career to knees (or worse). Durant is gonna be plugging away for 15 years no matter what. Oden could be out of the NBA by 28. Ask LA fans how they feel about Bynum is 5 years right now. See what I mean?
the Blazers have a good future. Fernandez and Outlaw have so much potential.
the Blazers have a good future. Fernandez and Outlaw have so much potential.
Fernandez/Outlaw/Frye could score them Amare, though.Of course, we have no use for Amare as it stands, because Oden is tearing up the NBA. ;)If you want to know where I'm coming from: this franchise has spent the last 30 years amassing a squad 8-10 deep of B+ players.It can get you a hefty regular season winning percentage, but it won't exactly bring home the bacon in the playoffs.Granted without Jordan's run the Blazers may have had a championship or two in the 90s, but that's neither here nor there. Jordan happened, we got nothing. And Kobe/Shaq kept us out during the late 90's/2000 era. With the decline of Shaq, teams no longer have to focus on having the overhyped-overpaid "true" NBA center.. It's a golden opportunity for a lot of teams. If it was 1998, draftng Oden is a no-brainer..You *needed* any possible chance to slow down Shaq. In 2008, well, it's simply not the case.
You need more than two, no question. My point is Roy/Aldridge/Durant would be one hell of a nucleas. Imagine what Durant could be without being the constant focus of the defense. NBA Centers are like NFL running backs, they have short shelf live.... and usually bad knees by their 5th season.
You have to go back to Jordan's last championship to find an NBA champion that didn't have a dominant big man to rebound, block shots, and generally clog up the middle. I realize that 8 of those 10 years are either Shaq or Duncan, but the Pistons had Ben Wallace (and Oden can be like Ben Wallace on defense with the ability to score double figures) and the Celtics had Garnett.The difference between NBA centers and NFL running backs are that there are a ton of running backs, but it's very, very hard to find quality NBA centers. The Blazers have the potential for a solid third scoring option in Bayless, Fernandez, or Outlaw (or even Martell?); where would they find a center? And don't give me Pryzbilla; he's been great this year, but he's not lifting this team to title contender.
Hmm, Oden had a pretty solid 17/11 with 6 blocks today in just 28 minutes (of course he also had 5 fouls). Signs of being able to turn it around once he learns not to foul? Or a false dawn?
When he learns to play without fouling, he is going to be a force.And Cappy will be singing a different tune. The guy is a rookie this year, cut him some slack.
Hmm, Oden had a pretty solid 17/11 with 6 blocks today in just 28 minutes (of course he also had 5 fouls). Signs of being able to turn it around once he learns not to foul? Or a false dawn?
And he did it against a first-rate NBA front court!!! oh, wait... Nick Collison put 5 quick fouls on him the other night. Forgive me if I pass on the communal kool aid.
When he learns to play without fouling, he is going to be a force.And Cappy will be singing a different tune. The guy is a rookie this year, cut him some slack.
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like it's 40 years old.. It's not going to put me at ease.And he's not picking up all these fouls clearing the lane and altering shots, he's swatting point guards on the butt as they go by and prancing around giving out "and 1"s. It's frigging embarrassing. It's almost like he's scared to death and figures picking up fouls is the only way to get off the court. Was he forced to play basketball in college? I'm honestly starting to wonder.
And he's not picking up all these fouls clearing the lane and altering shots, he's swatting point guards on the butt as they go by and prancing around giving out "and 1"s. It's frigging embarrassing. It's almost like he's scared to death and figures picking up fouls is the only way to get off the court. Was he forced to play basketball in college? I'm honestly starting to wonder.
He played in games where he was the most physical force on the court at all times, now he is up against people that are similar and its an adjustment he hasn't made.
And he's not picking up all these fouls clearing the lane and altering shots, he's swatting point guards on the butt as they go by and prancing around giving out "and 1"s. It's frigging embarrassing. It's almost like he's scared to death and figures picking up fouls is the only way to get off the court. Was he forced to play basketball in college? I'm honestly starting to wonder.
He gets a lot of touch fouls on point guards; that's just something he'll adjust to. It would also be helpful if the Blazers' point guards stopped letting their guy get by them.Your second point is just bizarre. I think you watch the games looking for any little thing to put Oden in a bad light because you love Durant so much.
He played in games where he was the most physical force on the court at all times, now he is up against people that are similar and its an adjustment he hasn't made.
yeah, this.
He gets a lot of touch fouls on point guards; that's just something he'll adjust to. It would also be helpful if the Blazers' point guards stopped letting their guy get by them.
^^And this, too.. It's sad that I hear the words "best defender at the 1" before Bayless's name simply because he tries. hehe.
Your second point is just bizarre. I think you watch the games looking for any little thing to put Oden in a bad light because you love Durant so much.
I watch the games to watch the games. I cheer him on. I want him to do well. Really, I do.But it goes to Jada's point above: he's getting dominated even against the teams with subpar front courts more often then not. It's really, really frustrating. And it's becoming more and more obvious others teams are both a. ) not scared of him in the least and b. ) barely having to go though the motions to foul him out anyways.Here's what i really fear: the rest of the NBA can give up on Oden as soon as next year. The Blazers won't be able to give up on Oden until he physically retires from the league. That's whats at stake, and we're married to the guy.

Two rumor's from Stein's column on ESPN concerning the Blazers..First, the old rumor w/ Milwaukee of Richard Jefferson + Luke Ridinour for Outlaw, Sergio, and Raef's contract..The second is some potential deal to brink Vince Carter to Portland.As for the former deal, I think we'd be giving up a lot and getting back both a stiff contract (Jefferson's) and another point guard we won't need/will have trouble trading. Outlaw is Roy's BFF, so i worry (albeit a tad) about how Travis leaving would affect Roy in the long run (sigh I know, I'm damned w/ Travis, and damned without him, too). I get how the Miles's fiasco makes it so Portland *needs* to trigger something to make use of Raef's contract, as we'll never be able to sign any free agents now with no future cap space.... But hmmm...Exactly how good is Richard Jefferson? He was awesome with Jason Kidd feeding him the ball.. Similar to how dyn-o-mite Marion was with Steve Nash getting him the rock. Anyone got opinions on Jefferson? I only see him when he's playing the blazers, and I swear he shoots 75% from the field and trey-land and averages 40 PPG against us, so I might be biased. His overall stats for the season look pretty anemic with Bogut and Redd both in and out of the lineup.My real envy is Caron Butler, but I'm not sure we'd be able to pry him from the Wizards. The Wiz are more likely to want to move Jamison for cap space, and if Portland doesn't really want Amare, we *really* don't need Jamison lol.Vince Carter.. Hmm.. Hmmmm.. He's owed a ton of money.. But hmmmmmm... It's been ages since he's really had a sniff of a Conference-Finals Calibur team. That might actually motivate him.. When Vince is Vince, he's Top 10 in the NBA, no questions asked.I punched some Vince Carter trades into the machine for funPortland Trades Nicholas Batum, Sergio Rodriguez, and Raef Lafrentz to NJ for Vince Carter -- AcceptedPortland Trades: Sergio, Travis Outlaw, and Raef to NJ for Vince and $1.5 mil contract dude (S. Williams,etc)-- AcceptedAnd the "wouldn't this be awesome if NJ was drunk at the time of the phone call" trade:Portland Trades: Travis Outlaw, Raef, Steve Blake, Jerrad Bayless, and Channing Frye to NJ for Vince Carter, Devin Harris, and Eduard (feel the wrath of my 4 year deal!) Najera..Since Devin's a Base Year Compensation player, I had to do some mighty fine juggling.

I think chances are Stoudemire is staying put, so under that assumption...If you get Caron Butler, I'd expect the Lakers to play the Blazers in the Conf Finals. I wouldn't want RJ unless you don't give up much, I just dont see him making a big enough impact to change their fate. I wouldn't want Vince Carter either, for a deep and balanced team I want guys that have more of an overall game.

I think chances are Stoudemire is staying put, so under that assumption...If you get Caron Butler, I'd expect the Lakers to play the Blazers in the Conf Finals. I wouldn't want RJ unless you don't give up much, I just dont see him making a big enough impact to change their fate. I wouldn't want Vince Carter either, for a deep and balanced team I want guys that have more of an overall game.
That's the funny part: we have a deep and balanced team. We just need someone who can actually score. I wouldn't be at all against Vinsanity coming to Portland.Although it'd look a bit more like:1. ) Butler2. ) Jefferson3. ) Carterin my order of preference, I'd rather have any of those 3 than an expiring Sergio contract and Travis Outlaw. It looks like cap-wise you have to give up the above combo, unless we can swap out Outlaw with Nicholas Batum in a couple packages. I dunno. Few teams have as many movable assets as Portland, but there isn't a lot out there that fit the Blazer's specific needs..It would be a horrendous waste to see Lafrentz's contract expire and get nothing for it, so it's obvious something is going to happen. I just don't happen to know what.. Chad Ford is now convinced the Blazers need Gerald Wallace.. Hnnn.. I dunno. Can he shoot? or just drive and go to the line?I also was futzing with the trade machine to find *any* Blazer/Sun trade workable, and the best I could come up with was: Steve Blake/Sergio/Raef for Steve Nash/Dragic/Amundson... PHX is a funny team for salaries, becuase Shaq/Amare/Nash made a boatload of money, and the only other player on the team with more than $2 mil per on the books is Barbosa.So it's really hard to maneuver a trade. Turn Amundson into Tucker, and you can add Batum to the trade.That said, obv, I don't envision PHX shipping out Nash for any reason whatsoever.Of course, I never through a team would be stupid enough to fire it's head coach smack dab in the middle of hosting the all star weekend in their city, but hey, there you have it. /shrug.
That's the funny part: we have a deep and balanced team. We just need someone who can actually score. I wouldn't be at all against Vinsanity coming to Portland.Although it'd look a bit more like:1. ) Butler2. ) Jefferson3. ) Carterin my order of preference, I'd rather have any of those 3 than an expiring Sergio contract and Travis Outlaw. It looks like cap-wise you have to give up the above combo, unless we can swap out Outlaw with Nicholas Batum in a couple packages. I dunno. Few teams have as many movable assets as Portland, but there isn't a lot out there that fit the Blazer's specific needs..It would be a horrendous waste to see Lafrentz's contract expire and get nothing for it, so it's obvious something is going to happen. I just don't happen to know what.. Chad Ford is now convinced the Blazers need Gerald Wallace.. Hnnn.. I dunno. Can he shoot? or just drive and go to the line?I also was futzing with the trade machine to find *any* Blazer/Sun trade workable, and the best I could come up with was: Steve Blake/Sergio/Raef for Steve Nash/Dragic/Amundson... PHX is a funny team for salaries, becuase Shaq/Amare/Nash made a boatload of money, and the only other player on the team with more than $2 mil per on the books is Barbosa.So it's really hard to maneuver a trade. Turn Amundson into Tucker, and you can add Batum to the trade.That said, obv, I don't envision PHX shipping out Nash for any reason whatsoever.Of course, I never through a team would be stupid enough to fire it's head coach smack dab in the middle of hosting the all star weekend in their city, but hey, there you have it. /shrug.
I agree, if all they have to give up is Outlaw, Sergio, Raef's contract to get RJ or Carter then I say do it.Gerald Wallace would be great. I think that's the next best option after Butler, but Charlotte wants a lot for him, the Lakers have been trying to get him for a couple years. However, the Bobcats are apparently in deep financial trouble now so who knows, even though they're well under the cap. Wallace's contract goes through 2013 though.If Phoenix trades Nash, they might as well relocateThe next couple days should be real interesting.
Gerald Wallace would be great.
What does Gerald Wallace do that is significantly better than Travis Outlaw?Outlaw is a much better shooter, so you want to bring in an extra 3 rebounds, a steal, and an assist for over double the cost? Of course, Wallace plays about 10 minutes more than Outlaw, so it's not even that much of an upgrade.
What does Gerald Wallace do that is significantly better than Travis Outlaw?Outlaw is a much better shooter, so you want to bring in an extra 3 rebounds, a steal, and an assist for over double the cost? Of course, Wallace plays about 10 minutes more than Outlaw, so it's not even that much of an upgrade.
Another statistic-er. I see people cite stats this way and it doesn't have any relevance. You don't add up the pts rebs assts of players and say, ok, this is how many of these we get as a team.Gerald Wallace is a huge upgrade over Travis Outlaw. You like stats but say Outlaw is a better shooter. Well Wallace has a better FG% and FT%, Outlaw has a better 3FG% but he doesn't shoot two a game. Now ignoring all stats I would agree that Outlaw is a better pure shooter than Gerald Wallace, but Wallace is a scorer not a shooter. As Cappy knows, the Blazers need a scorer, Gerald Wallace is that.