*** Official Portland Trailblazer's Team Thread ***

Wow.. Beating the Celtics with Brandon Roy in street clothes.. That's a pretty huge win.We rebounded extremely well, and I thoroughly enjoyed Lamarcus Aldridge gritting through a rough night and standing up huge at the end. Outlaw and Blake really rose to the occasion, and Oden/LA/Pryzbilla really won the rebounding war for us. Considering how sketchy our shooting was tonight and the zillion free throws the Celtics got to shoot: anything short of complete domination of the boards would have been a double-digit loss for Portland.It's way to early to talk about "statement games", but this was definitely a game that we would not have won last year, with Brandon OR without. Now let's hope Brandon's hammy benfitted from the rest. A nice side bonus: pulls Portland into a tie with the Nuggets for first place in the NW division.Side bonus #2: Blazers are 20-12 and still have *4* games on the schedule against Oklahoma City. Weeeeeeeeee.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Cappy I hate to say it but I admire your team more and more after that 6 on 5 play. That was priceless. That's why I put the Blazers up there as biggest threats to the Lakers. Good win for you guys tonight.

We're simultaneously one of the biggest threats to the Lakers, and the team that could potentially miss the playoffs entirely of the "Elite 9". Be thankful you can watch our games and not care. Imagine living and dying based on Travis Outlaw's hot hand, and whether Oden can make it to halftime with less than 3 fouls. I'm getting gray hair prematurely, dammit. :)On a bright note, I tease Aldridge all the time about being the guy who puts up all-star numbers in the first quarter and then goes 'milk carton' for the other 36 minutes. Welp, last couple weeks he's been putting together complete games and looked really good in doing so. It's great to see, and Ric Buecher even did a puff piece on him:Here's the LinkOn a side note, I bet a talk radio show or two in Boston today posed a question to it's listeners about Eddie House's last second shot last night. Is that really the shot Doc Rivers drew up in the huddle? I'll admit I was skeptical when Nate put Sergio out there to shoot free throws in crunch time after gathering dust on the pine in the second house, but wow @ the celtics.As for the famous 6-on-5 play, it's actually quite genius: if the defense is playing man-to-man, they won't pick up on it right away.. If the defense is playing zone, they won't pick up on it at *all*. Blazers could whip that out for an entire quarter on Golden State or Dallas and no one would ever know. lol.

I read that article about LA and was thinking, if this guy ever decides to just really destroy the league, there's not many people who can actually stand in his way. Really liked how he went back at KG during that game too. Now if they would please start Pryzbilla, my fantasy team would be greatly appreciated.

I read that article about LA and was thinking, if this guy ever decides to just really destroy the league, there's not many people who can actually stand in his way. Really liked how he went back at KG during that game too.
Yeah, I have soooo much more faith in him than Oden it's not even funny. Against KG was the first time I've seen LA with real fire in his eyes, though.He really reminds me of Rasheed Wallace in a lot of ways (not the attitude and T's obviously). But unquestionably: he's freakishly gifted with his size and shooting touch. He's got a ton of untapped potential, on both ends of the court.
Now if they would please start Pryzbilla, my fantasy team would be greatly appreciated.
lol your fantasy team lives and dies over Greg Oden's touch fouls then. Even starting, Joel probably doesn't play many (if any) more minutes than he already does. Nate does that with Joel and Outlaw: plays them starter minutes, but they "start" with the second unit
lol your fantasy team lives and dies over Greg Oden's touch fouls then. Even starting, Joel probably doesn't play many (if any) more minutes than he already does. Nate does that with Joel and Outlaw: plays them starter minutes, but they "start" with the second unit
lol, there were so many times when i would be watching a game and then checking the box score of a portland game to see that Oden has picked up 2 fouls in 2 minutes.
lol, there were so many times when i would be watching a game and then checking the box score of a portland game to see that Oden has picked up 2 fouls in 2 minutes.
haha yep. And he's racked up 3 in 5 minues, and it's not even halftime yet.Get well soon, Brandon. Yikes.
THE FREE AGENT BARGAIN OF 2009!Seriously, folks.. If you are a Western Conference Team and want to do the only thing possible to throw a wrench in Portland's future, sign Darius Miles to a contract, and get him on the court in garbage time 10 times before the season is over.It will cost you the league minimum, and Miles's Blazer Contract will kick in, Costing the Blazers in the neighboorhood of 9 million dollars this year, effectively blocking the Blazers free agency options, since so many vital young Blazers have options/extensions due this offseason.Utah... Denver.. If not for this year, sign Miles to weaken your divisional rival for next year!In all seriousness, I can't believe no one out West has found Miles a home simply to put the screws to Portland.

Back in the win column! Slaughtered Detroit 84-83. Bayless got some significant minutes. Looked okay out there.I'd like to personally thank Greg Oden for his 1 rebound and managing to get in 13 minutes before his 4th foul. Baby steps, Greg. Baby Steps.Team was 6-8 from 3 point range, and needed all of it cuz they crushed us on the boards. Kwame Brown is currently Detroits starting center..And they crushed us on the boards.. bleh. Looks like Roy can potentially be back for the next game, if he responds well during practice. Puhhhlease let it be true.

I'd like to personally thank Greg Oden for his 1 rebound and managing to get in 13 minutes before his 4th foul. Baby steps, Greg. Baby Steps.
On behalf of Joel Pryzbilla, I also thank Greg Oden.
On behalf of Joel Pryzbilla, I also thank Greg Oden.
Sad for you that Joel regressed in his charity stripe work that night.. He'd been closing in on 60%, and working hard on his own time to be more accurate.. that 2-7 effort left a lot of points on the table.On another note.. could you imagine owning Oden on your fantasy team? yowza.
THE FREE AGENT BARGAIN OF 2009!Seriously, folks.. If you are a Western Conference Team and want to do the only thing possible to throw a wrench in Portland's future, sign Darius Miles to a contract, and get him on the court in garbage time 10 times before the season is over.It will cost you the league minimum, and Miles's Blazer Contract will kick in, Costing the Blazers in the neighboorhood of 9 million dollars this year, effectively blocking the Blazers free agency options, since so many vital young Blazers have options/extensions due this offseason.Utah... Denver.. If not for this year, sign Miles to weaken your divisional rival for next year!In all seriousness, I can't believe no one out West has found Miles a home simply to put the screws to Portland.
Further proof I should probably work for the Blazers.After I was first preaching about this....Blazers threatening legal action against any NBA team who signs Darius Miles simply to burden the Blazers with Tax implications via Miles' contract vs. the Blazer's cap.

I don't have a link but I remember there were stories about Joel Pryzbilla's grandma sending letters to the league about Tyson Chandler and that scuffle they got into. I dunno, but how can you not like a team with a grandma that passionate?

I wonder if Portland can Trade Channing Frye to Memphis in return for Memphis agreeing to not play Darius Miles the rest of the season.I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Ugh.. What a horrible break for Portland, no matter how assinine the team looked over the whole Mass-Email debacle.

I wonder if Portland can Trade Channing Frye to Memphis in return for Memphis agreeing to not play Darius Miles the rest of the season.I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Ugh.. What a horrible break for Portland, no matter how assinine the team looked over the whole Mass-Email debacle.
Well the reality is that Miles can still play basketball so they shouldn't get the benefit of the cap relief since the injury isn't career ending.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...o&type=lgnsA quote from a rival executive.
“The point that everybody is missing is that this isn’t about Portland’s salary cap. It’s about whether this guy [Miles] is healthy enough to play or not,” said an Eastern Conference executive. “He obviously is healthy enough to play. It doesn’t matter how good he plays. He can still play, and they said he couldn’t.“Portland received benefits when [Miles’] injury was ruled career-ending. If he can play, they don’t deserve to have those benefits.”
Well the reality is that Miles can still play basketball so they shouldn't get the benefit of the cap relief since the injury isn't career ending.
It's a valid point.Another valid point is: If Miles could ACTUALLY legitimately contribute, he'd still be in Celtic green, not playing garbage minutes for the Memphis Grizzlies. He's *not* contributing in Memphis. He's taking up space, the 12th man, and going to accumulate barely enough PT to ruin the Blazer's cap.It's another instance of a player getting tens of millions of dollars to quit on a team, get injured.. not put any effort into rehab, and then luck out that someone needs a 12th man and is willing to pay the 500k that nets him a gross of 18 million.I can't even think of a good example to illustrate this.. Imagine some combination of Vince Carter's final couple years in Toronto, then having Vince go down with injury after having mailed it about 100 games... Then a couple years later he gets picked up and hobbles his way onto the court for the OKC Thunder. His "resurgeance" kills Toronto's cap space going into the most lucrative 2 years of free agent market in recent history.The Portland memo, however retarded it looked, intended to let Western Conference Rivals know that we'd react as strongly as legally possible if they drafted him *with the sole purpose* of just screwing over Portland to eliminate a free-agent market rival next year/year after.As it stands, we obviously ain't suing the Grizzlies: they had no malicious intent. It just sucks for us that Memphis didn't pick up someone who would actually help their team in both the short and long term. lol.I'm still serious. I'd bet dollars to donuts Portland would trade Channing Frye to Memphis for a conditional 2037 2nd round draft pick and the rights to Darius Miles.Just to sit him. Portland has over a half dozen ending contracts belonging to legit contributors and stars alike, this whole series of events is positively crippling to our orginization. Pritchard and Nate believe we will be competitive with only our current roster/young nucleas. Now we don't have the option, we *have* to be competitive with only our current roster.

I hope you arent defending the Blazers for there actions against Miles. Becuase they had absolutely no right to send out an e-mail claiming future legal action if any team signed him. Absolutely ridiculous thing to do. The League should levy a hefty fine and provide legal counsel for Miles' suit against the Blazers. Just mind numbingly stupid by the Blazers.

I hope you arent defending the Blazers for there actions against Miles. Becuase they had absolutely no right to send out an e-mail claiming future legal action if any team signed him. Absolutely ridiculous thing to do. The League should levy a hefty fine and provide legal counsel for Miles' suit against the Blazers. Just mind numbingly stupid by the Blazers.
The Team's actions was *not* against Miles. It was simply saying if someone like Denver or Utah or Phoenix (etc.) signed Miles simply to screw the Blazer's cap space, they'd retaliate any way they could. Intentionally and maliciously circumventing the salary cap works both ways: Playing Miles for 10 games worth of garbage minutes essentially to screw Portland IS CHEATING. It is CIRVUMVENTING THE SALARY CAP. etc. etc. etc. etc.As of now, it's a moot point. Memphis gains little to nothing by crippling the Blazer's cap in the coming two seasons. However, if Denver signed him and played him a couple more games (for Miles' contract to kick in) and then either sat him or relased him, then Portland would have a strong case. See the difference?Did the Blazers need to mail all 29 teams? No. Should they have made it clear they were ok with someone signing Miles for legitimate need? Absolutely. Better question? Have any of you seen Darius play this year? He... can't.... jump. I saw highlights of him the other day (local media) where during a Grizzlies game he got the ball down low off a rebound, took two steps toward essentially an open basket.... froze... and turned the ball over.. Clear path and all..I cannot stress enough how far below NBA-level Miles is right now. An independant doctor was assigned to appease both sides, and declared Miles NBA career over. Nothing has happened to change that. He ain't helping Memphis do anything--- at all, and that's the frustrating part.Better example: Remember the Jeff Bagwell debacle at the end of his career? It'd be like someone, say Kansas City, signing Bagwell *this year* and adding 36 million dollars (remember the cap penalty!) to Houston's payroll. Miles is *that* far removed from being a meaningful contributor to the NBA. Remember, Portland could sure use someone to play minutes alongside Outlaw at the 3. They are on the hook for Miles's contract anyways. He ain't wearing a Blazer uniform. Doesn't that send off some alarm bells?

On a side note, nice game in Chicago. Once again: Travis Outlaw's trade value has never been higher.And yes, TO had a couiple *sick* rejections where he posterized someone.Nice to see Oden just take over the second quarter. Granted it was against Drew Gooden and Aaron Gray, but hey.. Flashes of what might one day be... :club:

The Team's actions was *not* against Miles.
How can you even say that? Of course it was against him. By threatening teams from signing him, they hurt him. Doesnt matter whether they, or you think he can play, this is America, baby, and if Memphis wants to sign him, that is their right. I hope they get fined and sued. They deserve too. And if the Lakers did this I'd be saying the same thing.

The Blazers tried to claim Miles off waivers when Memphis waived him but the league denied their claim since they were never going to play him and it was strictly a salary cap move.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...o&type=lgnsMiles played against Cleveland tonight and scored 13 points is 13 minutes of playing time.GG Blazers but you aren't getting that cap relief.

How can you even say that? Of course it was against him. By threatening teams from signing him, they hurt him. Doesnt matter whether they, or you think he can play, this is America, baby, and if Memphis wants to sign him, that is their right. I hope they get fined and sued. They deserve too. And if the Lakers did this I'd be saying the same thing.
Wow. Just Wow. You're actually shooting yourself in the foot with your own argument.That Blazer memo *GOT MILES SIGNED* when it was anything but a certainty he'd play in the NBA again, anyways. You know the old saying "Negative publicity is still good publicity?". The Blazers (inadvertantly) *helped* Miles by bringing him into the limelight. You don't think there wasn't a half-dozen west coast gms calling Memphis saying "We'll send you a box of cigars if you sign Miles and get him on the court for some primo garbage time?" Really?You want my actual opinion? The Blazers should have done nothing and taken their lumps. Free world and all. They could have easily jumped down Stern's throat if someone like Denver or Dallas or New Orleans actually signed him maliciously. And would have had a strong case. Instead they decided to go heavy-handed, dropped the ball entirely, and Memphis now has a guy on their roster they plan on a playing. A guy they loved so much they just WAIVED him prior to the controversy.So yeah. But no matter what, I cannot scream loud enough that Portland *DID NOTHING WRONG*. Where they arrogant? Yes. Aggressive? Yes? Irrational? Hell Yes! Unethical? No.Portland did not *cheat* in any way shape or form. If Portland wanted to prevent Darius from playing, they'd have made seceret handshakes and cash drops around the league and gotten it done the dirty way. All Portland *did* was say if anyone else DID cheat and signed Darius only to f*ck the Blazer's cap, Portland would "Get Crunk" or whatever.Didn't happen. And I can't believe the flack I'm getting on this. Scan back all the way through this thread (and the rest on this forum). I'm about as impartial a source of information and opinion on either the Blazers or any other team in the NBA.
The Blazers tried to claim Miles off waivers when Memphis waived him but the league denied their claim since they were never going to play him and it was strictly a salary cap move.GG Blazers but you aren't getting that cap relief.
Yeah, I saw when that was leaked this morning! On the contrary, Portland fired the emails to make sure someone else didn't sign Miles "strictly for a salary cap move", either. ;)It was pretty apparent from the start we weren't going to get the cap relief. We just didn't wanna see Darius get a 10 day contract to get 2 more games as a Laker or Sun or something and then get his pink slip. That's what all this was about.I, for one, hope Darius can make it back. Microfracture recovery is no joke, and if he's able to play down the road, more power to him. Considering both Team and Independant doctors ruled his career completely over, can we consider this a mircale? :club:
But no matter what, I cannot scream loud enough that Portland *DID NOTHING WRONG*. Unethical? No.
Obviously we disagree. And even if they inadvertantly helped Miles, their intent was obviously malicious and designed to hurt him.

I'm with Cappy on this one. Portland was trying to protect their own interests, not trying to hurt Miles. If the league ruled that they would get cap relief even if Miles signed with someone else, do you really think they'd still try to keep teams from signing him? This was obviously all about Portland's cap space.As far as why Portland screwed this up so badly, word is that this all came down from the very top, i.e. Paul Allen. And Paul Allen doesn't know how to run anything. I think I read somewhere that he's owned about 64 businesses and 58 of them have failed.