*** Official Portland Trailblazer's Team Thread ***

This is going to sound nuts and make me look like a fool, but with Przybilla playing so well, what if you mortgage your future with him as your center. Then you have a ridiculous package of Oden, Bayless/Sergio, Webster/Outlaw/Batum/Frye to get somebody nuts. You bring in somebody crazy with the guys they have now and they'll as good as anybody. Keep in mind I haven't thought about this any further than what I just typed, so I don't know what kind of players would be available, if any.Dirk just popped into my head.
Could they do something for like for Josh Smith + Al Horford? Or is that a bit much?
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could they do something for like for Josh Smith + Al Horford? Or is that a bit much?
To trade all that I would have to get a marquee player that can be the guy in crunch time for a championship team.I don't think Atl would do that, but I wouldn't want Josh Smith if I was Portland.If Miami is confident that Wade will not re-sign and they're not doing anything special, Blazers can get him with that package. But do you risk that for 2 runs at a championship, not knowing if you'll keep Wade.This is all extremely hypothetical of course.
To trade all that I would have to get a marquee player that can be the guy in crunch time for a championship team.I don't think Atl would do that, but I wouldn't want Josh Smith if I was Portland.If Miami is confident that Wade will not re-sign and they're not doing anything special, Blazers can get him with that package. But do you risk that for 2 runs at a championship, not knowing if you'll keep Wade.This is all extremely hypothetical of course.
The problem is that there are very few people I think are really capable of being "the man" when it matters and most of them are untradable/not going anywhere (Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, etc.). Brandon Roy is already that guy for them in my opinion, he's been clutch the last few seasons.Hypothetically, a Tmac that wasn't plagued with injuries? How about Hedo Turkoglu, he's been crazy clutch playing point-forward for the Magic...Tayshaun Prince? That Detroit team is going to implode soon.
The problem is that there are very few people I think are really capable of being "the man" when it matters and most of them are untradable/not going anywhere (Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, etc.).
Ya, I know. The only one I can think of is Dirk. Not sure if he would fit well with LA and Przybilla. McGrady too, but the trade wouldn't work, and I wouldn't gamble my future on him. Maybe Wade in an everything works out perfectly situation.
This is going to sound nuts and make me look like a fool, but with Przybilla playing so well, what if you mortgage your future with him as your center. Then you have a ridiculous package of Oden, Bayless/Sergio, Webster/Outlaw/Batum/Frye to get somebody nuts. You bring in somebody crazy with the guys they have now and they'll as good as anybody. Keep in mind I haven't thought about this any further than what I just typed, so I don't know what kind of players would be available, if any.Dirk just popped into my head.
God yes (not Dirk specifically, but along that line of thinking).Sadly, there would be riots in the streets, so it would *never* happen. The idiot masses have been brainwashed into thinking our destiny is tied to Oden. It's a double edged sword, truthfully: I'd dump him in a heartbeat due to his propensity for injury, but his injury troubles would devalue him on the open market. I poo poo Dirk only because with Josh Howard committing career suicide over the last 18 months, Dirk is the be-all end-all for that franchise. Of course, if you put Oden/Sergio/Webster together, even Cuban would definitely blink. lol. And Cuban is as loyal and fierce as they come.I think Babylon hit the nail on the head: a Posey/Artest type Swing is exactly the kind of vet upgrade we would want. If you go outside that mold, you are looking at guys like Rashard Lewis, Mike Miller, Peja etc who just burn the net on the offensive end. Which is plenty. The plus: guys like that wouldnt require Oden in a package. The minus: Those guys makeaboatloadofeffingmoney. The hidden joy of the Blazers is all the talent plus the cap-flexibility. No bad contracts.
I don't think Atl would do that, but I wouldn't want Josh Smith if I was Portland.
^^^^yup.
If Miami is confident that Wade will not re-sign and they're not doing anything special, Blazers can get him with that package. But do you risk that for 2 runs at a championship, not knowing if you'll keep Wade.This is all extremely hypothetical of course.
I just came in my pants reading that. I don't think my mind can wrap around something that sexy, yet. I'll need time and leaked ESPN ruminations first.Hell, I'd do backflips if we could swap Raef Lafrentz's expiring contract with Outlaw and a pick for Marion's expiring contract, just for a few months of glory if nothing else.
The problem is that there are very few people I think are really capable of being "the man" when it matters and most of them are untradable/not going anywhere (Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, etc.). Brandon Roy is already that guy for them in my opinion, he's been clutch the last few seasons.
Yowza.. Roy's a team-first guy all the way.. He'd be perfectly happy sharing his workload with Wade.. That's 2 legit combo guard allstars that can play the 1 or the 2, btw.. Roy can also technically play a small 3 if need be.. Believe me, Roy would share the wealth to make that happen.
Hypothetically, a Tmac that wasn't plagued with injuries? How about Hedo Turkoglu, he's been crazy clutch playing point-forward for the Magic...Tayshaun Prince? That Detroit team is going to implode soon.
Tmac before the Penny Hardaway impression would be awesome, but I don't think the Rockets would budge. They already have a neat-o overhyped center of their own. Yao's actually good, though, and he's only overhyped in the sense that he's the 'man' of an entire continent.Hedo ain't getting traded anytime soon. They have some dude to play center anyways who I hear is fairly solid. ;)Dumars aint Isiah. Prince is the only true untouchable on that team. Prince is a perfect example of what the Blazers would want as a SF. lockdown D, occasional 3, lockdown D, boards, lockdown D, steals, and some good ol fashioned lockdown D.
I just came in my pants reading that. I don't think my mind can wrap around something that sexy, yet. I'll need time and leaked ESPN ruminations first.Hell, I'd do backflips if we could swap Raef Lafrentz's expiring contract with Outlaw and a pick for Marion's expiring contract, just for a few months of glory if nothing else.
If they somehow got Wade, it's a wrap. They should win 2 titles.Jesus I forgot about Lafrentz's contract, and I forgot about Marion. Now that I think about it they could get Wade w/o giving up Oden. First of all, if Wade becomes available, Miami will be somewhat desperate, so a package of Lafrentz contract, Sergio/Bayless, Outlaw/Webster/Frye, a pick will get Wade. There's about a 1% chance Miami reaches that point however.
^^^^yup.I just came in my pants reading that. I don't think my mind can wrap around something that sexy, yet. I'll need time and leaked ESPN ruminations first.Hell, I'd do backflips if we could swap Raef Lafrentz's expiring contract with Outlaw and a pick for Marion's expiring contract, just for a few months of glory if nothing else.
Me too. I just don't want to respond in case I jinx anything.
Yowza.. Roy's a team-first guy all the way.. He'd be perfectly happy sharing his workload with Wade.. That's 2 legit combo guard allstars that can play the 1 or the 2, btw.. Roy can also technically play a small 3 if need be.. Believe me, Roy would share the wealth to make that happen.Tmac before the Penny Hardaway impression would be awesome, but I don't think the Rockets would budge. They already have a neat-o overhyped center of their own. Yao's actually good, though, and he's only overhyped in the sense that he's the 'man' of an entire continent.Hedo ain't getting traded anytime soon. They have some dude to play center anyways who I hear is fairly solid. ;)Dumars aint Isiah. Prince is the only true untouchable on that team. Prince is a perfect example of what the Blazers would want as a SF. lockdown D, occasional 3, lockdown D, boards, lockdown D, steals, and some good ol fashioned lockdown D.
Oh, absolutely. Not saying he isn't a team guy or willing to defer or anything. I just mean he's a guy perfectly able to create his own shot at any point in the game and has the balls and skills to knock it down when the game is on the line (like that game against the rockets, that blew my mind). Yeah, none of those guys are really feasible due to their other Centre talents or intelligent GM's. But I think Prince could basically run a Portland offense too, not just knock down the trey, from what I've seen this year by using him as the point-forward. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with some other names that may be a bit more feasible.
If they somehow got Wade, it's a wrap. They should win 2 titles.Jesus I forgot about Lafrentz's contract, and I forgot about Marion. Now that I think about it they could get Wade w/o giving up Oden. First of all, if Wade becomes available, Miami will be somewhat desperate, so a package of Lafrentz contract, Sergio/Bayless, Outlaw/Webster/Frye, a pick will get Wade. There's about a 1% chance Miami reaches that point however.
I'm not sure about Marion. He's undeniably talented, but I just don't like the guy I think. I think the most realistically amazing part of this whole thing is that Kevin Pritchard has done such a great job that dreams like these are actually possible.
Now that I think about it they could get Wade w/o giving up Oden. First of all, if Wade becomes available, Miami will be somewhat desperate, so a package of Lafrentz contract, Sergio/Bayless, Outlaw/Webster/Frye, a pick will get Wade. There's about a 1% chance Miami reaches that point however.
I realize you said "if Wade becomes available," but I think you just made CaneBrain's head asplode.
Mine too, I like Wade being on the east coast so I get to see more of his games.
I was just thinking about the offer of, "how about you give us one of the top four players in the game and we give you poop? Deal?"
Just wanted to post and say that every time I watch Roy play I am more and more impressed with the guy. I didn't think he would be this solid coming out of college. Tough game against Utah last night.
Yeah... Last night's game was pretty ugly.. Alridge proved once again without a shadow of a doubt that if NBA games lasted 12 minutes, he'd be the next Michael Jordan. Sadly, LA's first quarter was the only other real contribution from Roy's 11 buddies. Still, we got a zillion outside looks, so it's easy to see just how unbelievable and impossible to defend Portland truly is if their inside-out game is working. Rudy and Blake were ice cold. I also firmly believe that playing as horribly as we did, if the Blazers hadn't settled for jacking up 3s in the 4th quarter, we could have definitely even won that game.
I was just thinking about the offer of, "how about you give us one of the top four players in the game and we give you poop? Deal?"
Hah! I understand your sentiment, but you are wrong about the "poop". I've lived through generations of NBA fan boards, and I've seen just how ridiculous the trade scenarios Knick, Laker, and Bull fans usually come up with. Some markets genuinely overvalue their supporting talent, and that's not the case here.Lafrentz's contract is massive and off the books at the end of the season.Sergio/Outlaw/Webster/Blake/Bayless/Frye/Batum. All are very young, marginally-to-seriously talented, and have very favorable contracts. They are genuine trade pieces. The Blazers can put together a much more solid package than 95% of the league. This is especially true if a team is looking to rebuild or needs a couple solid B talents at multiple positions and/or cap space.That said, Wade is a very far-fetched scenario, and trading him out of Miami would destroy their fanbase and ticket/merch sales. It would not make any sense from a Miami standpoint whatsoever. Marion, yes.. esp if you dont lose your cap flexibility and get an Outlaw or Sergio for free in the swap. That was my original "fantasy offer". Someone else suggested Wade. I firmly believe we could put together a more attractive package than most, but Miami would have to believe Wade was incredibily unhappy AND ready to jet for greener pastures. As we all know, that isn't the case.

P.S.- I'm not entirely sold that Marion's presence in that locker room would be a positive in the long run. Either way, audtioning him for a few months wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, especially if we were going to just go get a SF in free agency at the end of the year anyways. 'Much as I love the things Webster and Batum bring to the table, the Blazers need someone who can shoot *and* be a sparkplug on the defensive/hustle side of the ball. Neither are going to be in the Blazer's long term plans, unless you consider Webster being the shooter-off-the-bench as a major long term bonus for this team (yeah, I don't either).P.P.S. - as for the shoot/hustle requirements, this would be a fun time to point out that Outlaw truly brings neither solidily to the table and is the worst choice of the 3, even though technically he solidly mediocre in both aspects (where webster plays zero D and doesnt drive to the hoop when he's not shooting well, and Batum at press time has a raw, undeveloped, essentially-nonexistant offensive game).P.P.P.S - If we nab a Marion/Lewis/Posey type player, that guy is going to need 32+ minutes a night, and with Rudy coming off the bench as the swing, to get Rudy/Roy/MysteryPlayer their minutes Roy is going to need to steal some time at the point.. Which also means that in order to get a 3 in place, we need to move 2 swings and at least one point guard. Hence our ability to put together a "wild" package: we *need* to ship out 3 bodies in order to get back 1 effective starter and keep the minutes in place for the rest of the rotation.

Cap when I'm a GM one day, I'm hiring you as my asst GM.
I'll have my people talk to your people.On a side note, Blazers just lost to the Clippers AT HOME. And they played essentially their worst game of the season on national TV against the Jazz the other night. Those viewing the Blazers for the first time this year went to bed that night thinking the Blazers were Cavaliers (from previous few years) West, with Roy and 11 stiffs.We start the season 15-7 and I'm stuck without internet for most of it.. Now we are getting killed by lower tier teams, and my gloating window is completely fux0red..Bah Humduck.Outlaw even missed the last couple with a sore ass. How could we have lost??!?!?!

Well, we smoked the Kings at least. Random daydream: trading up in the next draft and reuniting Rudy Fernandez with Ricky Rubio.'Random hilarious "trade rumor" from ESPN.com:Sources say Charlotte remains highly confident that it can follow up the Richardson deal by finding a taker for versatile swingman Gerald Wallace, despite the prospect of three seasons at $9.5 million each left on Wallace's contract beyond this season. It's believed that teams interested in trying to pry Raymond Felton away from the Bobcats instead of Wallace -- Portland has been mentioned -- have to be willing to take back mothballed center Nazr Mohammed (owed a combined $13.4 million in 2009-10 and 2010-11) thanks to Felton's improvement since being moved to shooting guard alongside rookie point guard D.J. Augustin. One source close to the situation said new Bobcats coach Larry Brown already had been grinding on vets such as Richardson and Wallace, which has apparently exacerbated Brown's famed penchant for wanting to make changesChildren, let's go ahead and giggle and point out the silliness of the above statement. We need to believe that:1. ) Gerald Wallace, a high-flying, basket-driving, scoring machine of a small forward is not the Blazer's target.2. ) Portland instead desires a young PG who shoots less than 40% from the floor (both this year and for his career)3. ) Portland doesn't already have 3 PGs they are *trying* to play.4. ) Portland doesnt have 3 SFs they are *trying* to replace.5. ) Portland wants Felton so badly they are going to destroy their salary cap situation.6. ) Portland would be willing to ship out RaefLafrentzsexpiringcontract to make all this happen, a potent trade weapon.7. ) Portland covets someone on the Bobcats.8. ) Kevin Pritchard has completely lost his mind.9. ) Even beliving that Felton can truly play a bit of SG with his "size issues", Don't we already have Roy and Fernandez?I mean, just wow.. I'd be willing to believe that Portland was talking with Charlotte about Gerard Wallace's availability to feel out Charlotte's position.. But this Felton thing is so unbelievably out of left field it should have never been printed anywhere, even on a web page.P.S. I'd be REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYY nice to finally beat the $#!@#@ Phoenix Suns. It's been years.P.P.S. - Portland retired Terry Porter's jersey... One game before Terry Porter-led Phoenix is coming to town. Why? Was it Porter's choice, to not be distracted (either pre-game or halftime) with the ceremony? Thats the only way my mind can rationalize it.. I mean, are we going to point out his hanging rafter and give him a standing O during warmups/starting lineups? Is this common practice? I'd love to see him honored fully(he was always one of my favorites).

Hey what's the story behind that scar on Porter's arm? I always wondered.
Wow.. I spent 20 minutes using all my dirty NBA tricks and could come up with no discernable information on that scar or it's origin..I did find out two random Terry Porter facts:#1 - one of the sound guys on "The Lion King" was named Terry Porter#2 - Porter along with Steve Nash is part of an investment team that is hoping to bring Major League Soccer to Vancouver, B.C.So I hope that helps. :club:
The game tonight interests me more than the Tim Duncan-Dwight Howard duel. Here's hoping Aldridge torches Amare and teaches him how to play some defense.
Defense is the real key..Nash.. JRich... Hill.. Amare... Shaq... Who in gods name plays D on that team now that Bell and Diaw were punted?I fully expect Lamarcus to put up double digits in the first quarter and mail in the last 36 minutes.. Like every night.. But he's especially apt to do it on national TV.I really *WANT* this win. I want the general public to have a better idea of whats going on in Ptown besides what they saw in that Utah debacle.Oh, and someone to step up and be a legit #2 option behind Roy night in-night out would be swell, as well.