College Students

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Vike said. Your undergrad can be the best social and academic opportunity of your life. Unless your game is actually paying for your education, you're better off keeping it to a minimum--it's just too much of a time commitment to play seriously.
QFTI regret playing as much poker as I did the last 2 years. I wouldn't regret it if I actually made a considerable profit. LFT.

Great thread...since college started back up, haven't had much time at all to play poker. Honestly it's a great and much needed break for me. I was soo burnt out this summer that it's nice to just chill, drink all the time and not think about grinding too much. Once winter hits, I expect to be stuck in my room more and will prolly have more interest again to play. So until then, just trying to go to class and party it up.

lol I've played in class before. Fun times.I stopped when I started to worry what would happen when something ridiculous happens. I don't think I"d be able to control myself.Tiltttttttttttttt.But ya I've played maybe 10 MTTs since school started. All of them on weekends/WCOOP. My game has taken a huge dive since it started...but meh.

TB - Keep in mind when playing in class that your prof may not be unaware and you might suffer the consequences...Phoenix - I was playing live this weekend and that last hand came on in the poker room and there were a hundred people calling for a 10 and it still did not come. Yes, I plan on a deep run in '08!

lol I've played in class before. Fun times.I stopped when I started to worry what would happen when something ridiculous happens. I don't think I"d be able to control myself.Tiltttttttttttttt.But ya I've played maybe 10 MTTs since school started. All of them on weekends/WCOOP. My game has taken a huge dive since it started...but meh.
I've played in class as well, but would have been starring at the wall if not. You can balance school and poker but you really need to not play at all IMO when its test time or when you really need to study.

I was behind in 4 of my classes which is all of my classes... and was thinking poker nonstop, this subsequently led to me tilting and steaming when I wasn't making $$$ because I knew I should be studying and getting caught up. Now having going busto recently I can focus on school. I'll redeposit some money for winter break and play one MTT a day and some SitNGos if the going is right. -Basically I'll only play during winter break or summer break that's about 4 months of poker in a year. To me thats an efficient amount of poker and time to study the game without worrying about university screwing with my head.

The way I handled it last year was.1. Sign up for a full schedule of classes.2. Go to the first day of classes.3. Decide to not go anymore.4. Withdrawal from as many classes as I could on the withdrawal date.5. Study my ass off for the very last day before exams and try to cram the whole semester into one day.6. Fail the 2 classes that I was would still be signed up for.7. Get kicked out of university.8. Fail at life.

I agree with the general tenor of the comments thus far. Put this in perspective, you have a limited amount of time in college (usually four years, but I suspect that will not be enough for Erik) and the rest of your life for work, poker, etc. Make the most of your college experience, both in and out of the classroom. You have opportunities that will not come again, to expose yourself to new ideas and people (keep it clean here), take advantage of those opportunities and you will be better off later. No matter how good your game, you will find yourself in a better position in life if you take your education seriously.A few ideas for rules:Set limits for yourself, in terms of time studying, time socializing, time playing poker. If you find that you can't keep to your limits you may be playing too much. If you find you can't make it to class, you are definitely playing too much. Keep the MTTs to weekends, or at least days when you do not have class. Do not start a tournament (or even a cash game) knowing that you have to be somewhere soon as this leads to -EV play. NEVER play in class.
thanks for the post. i've been trying to balance poker, work, and social life as well, and it has been difficult at times. it's important to keep priorities in line.congrats on your run in the ME, i was pulling for a T as well when i saw the broadcast.
QFTI regret playing as much poker as I did the last 2 years. I wouldn't regret it if I actually made a considerable profit. LFT.
Remind me to hug you tomorrow.Anyways, I often try to make my classes all in the same time blocks so I don't have any huge gaps that will tempt me to play poker in-between breaks. And the breaks I leave myself are short enough to get some studying/hw done without distraction. Like my MW classes are from 10-10:50...then 3pm-4:15pm. And My Tu-Th classes I'm gone from 10am-4:30pm. I travel on the bus so I get my readings done/homework during these breaks (mainly the monday/wednesday).As for exams...-- Open Stars-- Sign in-- Request-- Responsible Gaming --> Exclude me From playing for 1 dayOf course this works for me since I play MTT's if I happen to have the time to play them. If I played more cash games...I'd be tempted to play at any given time.

it definitely helps to pay attention in class. i used to take the approach of "im smart enough to learn everything outside of class" while i was able to learn it all, it took a considerable amount of time. if you pay attention in class, getting your work done outside of class shouldn't take that long, barring you dont have a crappy teacher. at times i still feel myself not paying attention, and it makes things a lot harder

It's not usually hard to fit poker in, but sometimes I don't feel like doing the homework so I procrastinate.My classes are like this MWF 11-12, 1:15-2:20 and TTH: 8-9:40, 9:50-11:30so that leaves the majority of the day to do what I please.None of my classes require much work so I usually play/sleep/watch tv during the day and do hw at night... but most of the time the homework is some minor reading.
we must be long lost bros or something cuz are minds are sooo similar minus ur bad choice in teams. i stay up til like 4 am every night playing poker my days consist of thismwf: 2 classes 8-10 then breakfast nap til 1. 2 classes 130-330 then chill nap pending cuz i only get like 3 hrs at night. chill with friends do sports whatnot til they start hw at like 8 then like 10-3 pokertt: one class at 4-515 so i wake up at 3ish eat go to class comback chill till like 8 again then same hours for poker i just dont study much ill be the first to admit it all stuff dealing outside of majors are soooo useless aka first 2 years and im sophomore right now. weekends: pending whats going on since i dont drink if theres a party at a friends i will go ill sometime dd and then some ill just play poker. football all day sat and sunday but sometime play poker while watching.

My schedule varies a little bit but starting this week a typical day goes something like this:3am sleep11am wake up1145-125 classlunchwatch class online4pm work @ sorority house :club: or Finish Line~830pm get home w/ dinnerchill w/ my roommates/ do hw till ~11pmStars micro tournies @ 11, 12, and 1 - Cash Games till 3edit: I try to get in a night run if I don't have an indoor soccer game but it's tough

How many hours per week do you guys think you spend playing poker? What is a good amount of hours so poker doesnt consume social life/exercise/school work.

How many hours per week do you guys think you spend playing poker? What is a good amount of hours so poker doesnt consume social life/exercise/school work.
Depends on how much sleep you want and how well you want to do in school/how much slacking you can get away with. I try to play 2 hrs/day 5-tabling the fast ring tables on stars and so I'll see ~750 hands/day w/ some tournies and satellites thrown in.
I usually only have time for 10-15 hrs on an average week. If you usually stay in on Thursday nights you could probably play more, but seriously, go out on Thursday nights.
I usually only have time for 10-15 hrs on an average week. If you usually stay in on Thursday nights you could probably play more, but seriously, go out on Thursday nights.
what is this go out on thursday nights stuff zim? Last year we always had thirsty thursday in the dorm but i thought that was just my friends. This year we are focusing on wasted wednesdays and fuked up fridays

Thirsty Thursday is for the more dedicated college drinkers. Wednesdays around here, freshman year, was the club night. Now that I'm 21, I basically can drink any day where I don't have to get up early the next day. Sometimes I still do that... but not often.

what is this go out on thursday nights stuff zim? Last year we always had thirsty thursday in the dorm but i thought that was just my friends. This year we are focusing on wasted wednesdays and fuked up fridays
I don't know, Thursday is a big party night around here just because so much of the party culture in Ann Arbor revolves around football Saturdays, so people don't usually drink quite as much on Friday. I'm just guessing people might stay in on Thursdays and study/play poker and I would like to encourage everyone to get out as much as possible.
None of my classes require much work so I usually play/sleep/watch tv during the day and do hw at night... but most of the time the homework is some minor reading.
I suck at picking a major.

I played 18 hours in September.... I think I already played that much for October... Tonight I just registered for the 27.50 forgot all about Prison Break on Mondays which I usually watch with my gf this is a negative EV decision as the next time I see her she is going to whoop my ass... Other than that don't play Thursday Friday or Sat night... Honestly guys party hard you have four years before people start calling you an alchoholic. Sunday play as much as you can after getting school work done. As for Mon Tues Wed pick a time at night where you can't play poker until that time.... This means that you will study beforehand and be pumped to play when that time arrives.

how do you balance? you make one a priority.i suck at this though, and am behind my readings. Tomorrow I have no class though, so I'm going to read and catch up, instead of play...and hopefully once I catch up, I'll stay ahead of my work and then be able to play.It's hard though. I have to leave the house to study, or I'll just get bored and start browsing, or doing something else besides my work.- Jordan