I know you have probably said it before but where do you rank ARod in the all time hitters, shortstops, and if he continued his regular season dominance for 7-10 more years would you consider him the best?I'm bored so I decided to ask random Qs
he is the best hitting shortstop of all time, but if I were going for all around I would still stick with Honus Wagner or Cal Ripken Jr.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Over their careers (and remember, Pedro's is longer):Koufax: 2.76 - 24% better than the leagueMartinez: 2.80 - 38% better than the leagueJesus. I could go on and on....next time I should just ignore the troll and move on.Anyway, aadams and a few others are right. Get off ARod's nuts. The media loves crapping on him whether he deserves it or not.
I resent that. You've swayed me. Pedro doesn't really stack up to Koufax's final 5 year stretch, but Pedro was far more dominating over a longer period than Koufax. Considering time period's, it's not even close.I was wrong, you were right, I admit it.As for A-Rod, the closer he gets to making Bond's #2 all time in home runs, the more the public will embrace him. It's natural to hate the guy making the most money, but he wasn't trully villified in Texas, even by us Mariner fans. The second he put on pinstripes, any hope he had of public acceptance went out the window. A-Rod's a career .280 hitter in the post season. Post season pitching > regular season pitching. We do need to lay off.It'd sure be nice if he'd just buck up and knock a couple out of the park. I root as hard for A-rod to go 3 for 4 as I do for the Yankees to lose in spite of it. It makes watching Yankee games confusing for me at times. A-Rod is a sensitive pretty boy at times, but Bonds is genuinely a surly, unhuggable human being. Of course, Ty Cobb wasn't much loved either.
- Roger Clemens's ERA [second to Pedro] was more than twice Martinez's. That difference of 1.96 was the largest in history. Applying that difference to the rest of the qualifying pitchers, Clemens was actually closer to #38 [Rolando Arrojo, 5.63 ERA] than he was to #1.His career Won/Loss % is 2nd best all-time.
The fact that 5.63 was good enough for #38 is awesome.That W/L % should be even more impressive to you, Tim, because you can attest to the top-notch quality of the Red Sox bullpen over the years. <sw, obv>
he is the best hitting shortstop of all time, but if I were going for all around I would still stick with Honus Wagner or Cal Ripken Jr.
I might even argue that Wagner was a better offensive player than ARod. It's moot now that ARod's moved to third. Would be an interesting comparison at the end of ARod's career if he stayed a shortstop. Also, I'll apologize for calling you a troll Cappy. I saw just about every game Pedro pitched while he was with the Sox, so I've got to come to his aid when I can. He was absolutely awesome. During that 2000 season, his first loss came in a game where he gave up 1 run and struck out 17.
Also, I'll apologize for calling you a troll Cappy. I saw just about every game Pedro pitched while he was with the Sox, so I've got to come to his aid when I can. He was absolutely awesome. During that 2000 season, his first loss came in a game where he gave up 1 run and struck out 17.
I usually stick to the mariner thread, so you prolly haven't seen much of me in the baseball forum. It was pretty eye-opening to see Pedro on Baseball Reference in black and white. His WHIP and ERA are just every kind of nasty, especially in today's age. Kinda pulling for him to move into a 1-2 inning closer-type role to preserve the legacy, I think he'd have another 4-5 dominating years getting final 3-6 outs for a team in the hunt. It's so hard to field more than 3 quality starters these days, so some team will always want to try and get the 6 innings out of him, but it'd be interesting to see him pull a Smoltz and just unload with the heat for 30 pitches a night :club:
I usually stick to the mariner thread, so you prolly haven't seen much of me in the baseball forum. It was pretty eye-opening to see Pedro on Baseball Reference in black and white. His WHIP and ERA are just every kind of nasty, especially in today's age.
Yeah a lot of people don't realize just how incredibly dominating he was for awhile. It was so much fun to watch :club:.
During that 2000 season, his first loss came in a game where he gave up 1 run and struck out 17.
Here are the numbers on his six losses that year:0-6, 2.44 ERA -- 48 IP, 30 H, 13R, 8 BB, 60K:o
Yeah a lot of people don't realize just how incredibly dominating he was for awhile. It was so much fun to watch :D.Here are the numbers on his six losses that year:0-6, 2.44 ERA -- 48 IP, 30 H, 13R, 8 BB, 60K:o
Reminds me of Nolan Ryan with the 'Stros in (I think) '87.. 8-16 with a league-leading 2.76 e.r.a. Pretty safe to assume the Astros pen that year was on par with the Sox's in Pedro's year above.. :club:
  • 3 weeks later...
If he continues his shitty post season play he'll become the Dan Marino of baseball...Thing about Marino is though he had few chances at getting a ring.. A-rod has had multiple chances and has failed in all of them..
I defy you to prove Marino was a poor postseason performer. He was NEVER the reason they lost. Usually it was Thurman Thomas. I hate him. Oh, love him or hate him.....but steroids Bonds was the best baseball player ever no doubt, case closed. He actually changed the game and made his teammates better. in baseball.
I defy you to prove Marino was a poor postseason performer. He was NEVER the reason they lost. Usually it was Thurman Thomas. I hate him. Oh, love him or hate him.....but steroids Bonds was the best baseball player ever no doubt, case closed. He actually changed the game and made his teammates better. in baseball.
yeah there's no doubt that roided bonds was the greatest hitter of all time - which actually proves that he was roided
You misunderstood what I said...I'm not comparing their post-season plan.. Marino>A-Rod But in terms of the regular season.. both players could/can rack up numbers like there's no tommorow..but like Marino, A-rod will probably never win a championship.. You can't call someone the best player in baseball when they had an unfair and illegal advantage.. and if anyone believes that bonds didn't take some illegal substance than you are a fool...
You can't call someone the best player in baseball when they had an unfair and illegal advantage.. and if anyone believes that bonds didn't take some illegal substance than you are a fool...
This is totally untrue - I totally believe that Barry was on roids but he clearly was the greatest hitter of all time Whether you want to applaud him for that is another question, but there's no doubt that no one ever did what he did in those three seasonsWhether you're appalled by what happened or not those games counted and he achieved what he achieved - you can even keep him out of the Hall of Fame if you want but still as far as being a hitting machine - no one has ever been what he was those three yearsplus dude - he called him "steroids bonds" what else do you want from Cane?

Well rumor is the Yanks will be offering Arod an unheard of extension, which will mean he wont have to opt out and they keep the money Texas pays toward him for the next few yearsLets hope it works out

SI is reporting that A-rod is opting out of his contract.
I know...an hour after i wrote thatIts like someone is f*king with me this year, after giving me the 2 championships last year, now the gators are sucking, the yankees turmoil, and the red sox are gonna winugh
Any guesses on where A-Rod ends up? Think the Giants will pay him the $25-$27 million per season that he'll probably command?
They have open money, and spent big last year. I dont see why not. But I think that Arod wants to be a Cub. He wants to play for Pinella.
I'm curious as to whether Cashman's bullshitting about refusing to pursue ARod if he opts out.
Well, they just lost 21 million, but who knows. Yankees seem like they're falling apart though.
Well, they just lost 21 million, but who knows. Yankees seem like they're falling apart though.
The Yankees always seem like they're falling apart.
The Yankees always seem like they're falling apart.
Not this bad though. They may end up losing a lot of talent that they won't be able to replace. If ARod leaves and Rivera and Posada follow through with their threats to leave if Torre doesn't come back, that's a lot of ground that they've given up.
Not this bad though. They may end up losing a lot of talent that they won't be able to replace. If ARod leaves and Rivera and Posada follow through with their threats to leave if Torre doesn't come back, that's a lot of ground that they've given up.
Wouldn't it be weird if the Yankees had a semi-rebuilding year?
Please. Posada and Rivera will be back. ARod can leave and someone can ruin their team by signing him. Qualifier. I think ARod is a stat monster, but I also think that he and his enormous contract bring a cancer into clubhouses. I also think opting out was the best move for him, not just for monetary reasons. He couldn't win in NY. It would always be Jeter's city and ulitmately, if ARod didn't hit 5 run homers every time up, he was gonna take a beating, unfairly. The tabloid stuff was crap as well, so I don't blame him, but I do think he and his want to be the number one guy ego are very Barry Bondsesque. Apparently, he's getting more and more like Bonds every day. Erin Andrews interview with Simmons all but said that he was the only real dick in the clubhouse. I wish him well and I'll laugh when he gobbles up 25% of someone's payroll and cause havoc in the longrun. Best wishes kind ARod, it was fun while it lasted, and just remember, you never let me down in the postseason, because I never expected anything. As far as the Yanks falling apart, which was my initial response topic, we have plenty of young arms and I wouldn't mind a reloading season or two, get all those enormous garbage contracts off the books. Giambi, Moose, Damon, Abreu, and start over. My favorite Yankee teams were the ones built with role players and homegrown talent. I loved Charlie Hayes, Scott Brosious, all around Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, Soriano, etc. I'd like to get back to an underdog mentality, like we had in the early to mid 90's, but that is just me wishing. It'll never happen.

I can't see any good reason to pay 1 player $30 million per season. It seems totally ridiculous to me. Which means he'll probably get it. He would be good for the Cubs. He's not good in the postseason, they hardly ever get there :club:

I can't see any good reason to pay 1 player $30 million per season. It seems totally ridiculous to me. Which means he'll probably get it. He would be good for the Cubs. He's not good in the postseason, they hardly ever get there :club:
But the Yankees offered him the money, its not the money he left forIts because hes a freakin pussy and cant handle the NY media and the pressureHes a disgrace right now and I hope the Yankees dont pursue him, he times the announcement to make himself more important then the WS and hes just a selfish greedy bast@rdAlso his original 252 mil. contract was exactly double what Kevin Brown had made as the highest paid player and Arod did it on purpose