3 Tells You Have On Someone After 1 Hour

In my never-ending thirst for knowledge, I'm curious as to what some of you would classify as confident tells you generally have on amateur poker players after you've sat at a table with them for an hour or more. Now I'm not talking total donkeys...but more below-average to average players that you generally end up sitting next to and see making the same types of tells or mistakes that they probably aren't aware of that you capitalize on. Thanks in advance for your replies and insight.

1. ) looking back at hold cards on flush boards2. ) grabbing chips and then checking when weak3. ) staring at the flop for a long time when they don't hit itbonus:4. ) Staring you down when they are bluffing/weak after they have acted.

1. ) looking back at hold cards on flush boards2. ) grabbing chips and then checking when weak3. ) staring at the flop for a long time when they don't hit itbonus:4. ) Staring you down when they are bluffing/weak after they have acted.
I fall for that one every time.

I don't play a ton live. But I find that people are either actors, or not actors. And once you figure this out, everything else is easy. (for players that aren't advanced enough to put out fake tells).Last weekend, I'm playing with a guy who was an actor. On the river, he makes a big bet, and gives the old 'I guess its time for me to go home speech' It was seriously taken right out of a poker book. Oh woe is me, I'm probably beat, I guess its time for me to go home, I'm all in. He got called, and obv had the nuts.Some players who aren't actors, will make this same kind of speech when calling a bet on the turn when they have an ok made hand like tpgk. Oh man, do you have tptk? Well, I'll call just this once. And then you can ship it in and bluff them out on the river.Like I said, I don't get too advanced with this stuff, but I find the most important thing to do is figure out if they are actors or not, and then just put what they are doing/saying in context of that.Mark

I fall for that one every time.
Like seriousness I have to agree in Treasre Island MN its all the old guys do against me is play that guessing game.I had sat down and not too long I made the nuts on the river and he had chips in hand and I swear to you I thought if I checked he would bet BUT YOU KNOW WHAT IM ERIK RYLAND YO IM SO PRO I BET MAX YES I DID AND HE CALLED WITH PAIR O 10s crab kicker AND I STOOD UP AND POINTED AT HIM AND YELLED you would not of bet old mannnnnnnnnn YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM !??? IM ERIK RYLAND !!!

I primarily make my living playing live poker, and one of the things I noticed is the way a weaker/beginning player will tend to over-value certain hands like top pair on a draw heavy board and treat it like its the nuts through how they bet their hand. One of the important things to discern is how the average player at your table will value hand strength. I tend to see a lot of live players in my games never willing to fold bottom ends of straights, trips, etc. and making their decisions based upon their perception of the strength of their hands, completely discounting a range of hands that their opponent might be holding.I will adjust how I play a hand against one player at the table from others based on the hands they show down in position, oop, how aggressively they bet their hands, if they tend to play more of a trapping or passive game, how they control pot size, their willingness/incapability to lay a hand down. One tell that pretty consistent is betting patterns. Weaker players will usually (subsconsciously) fire off the same amount of money into the pot when they have a bluff (certain percentage of pot) and the typically another amount every time they have the nuts.I also like to see how players at my table will respond to raises and re-raises from me. I'll go through a betting round raising a certain player and seeing if it makes him uncomfortable, tilty, prone to make plays at me, etc for information purposes alone. I'll also just strike up conversations with people at the table to see what kind of mood they are in, what type of personality they have, etc. People will unknowingly give up pretty crucial information at the table.Edit: Most of this may not make any sense, but it did to me when I was writing.

shaky hands when they bet. omg pricelessnessments
Eric's right here. Shaky hands DO mean the nuts here. Fold to their bet.I'm betting Eric meant shaky hands was weak, which is sad

My favorite is the upset sigh bet. "siiiiigh I bet $1000" <sad face> It's never that hard or upsetting to bet out a hand or raise, yet newbs act like this all the time.I have done this myself with air as a reverse tell on experienced players who have never played with me before :club:

1. Crossing arms or touching face after bluff-betting...2. If they are bluffing ask them a question that they don't have to lie about like "where did you go to school" and watch them hesitate because they think everything they should be saying at the time should be a lie then their brain pauses for a second cause they realize they don't need to lie about this and then they just look confused. 3. Watching how the react when you count your chips out "contemplating a bet/call." A lot of times since the focus is on you they let down their guard on how they should be reacting at the moment.

Like seriousness I have to agree in Treasre Island MN its all the old guys do against me is play that guessing game.I had sat down and not too long I made the nuts on the river and he had chips in hand and I swear to you I thought if I checked he would bet BUT YOU KNOW WHAT IM ERIK RYLAND YO IM SO PRO I BET MAX YES I DID AND HE CALLED WITH PAIR O 10s crab kicker AND I STOOD UP AND POINTED AT HIM AND YELLED you would not of bet old mannnnnnnnnn YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM !??? IM ERIK RYLAND !!!
lol, nh!

I use the reverse tell of shaky hands when im bluffing... most players have read or watched dvds about this tell and its really easy to make ovious.

shaky hands does not always mean the nuts, not even close. Can also be a bluff or just mean the player is a little nervous about the action
Sorry dude but all tells only mean one thing. That's a scientific fact!
shaky hands does not always mean the nuts, not even close. Can also be a bluff or just mean the player is a little nervous about the action
It can also mean that they've been at the poker table for the last 36 hours and are hungry.
shaky hands when they bet. omg pricelessnessments
Thats how I got my nickname Shakey....My hands shake naturally whenever I'm in a hand.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee freetellaments