Colorado Avalanche

Not counting Lindros or Berard who both refused to report, has there ever been a 1st overall pick that was traded away from his original team this early in a career?I looked, and the closest parallel I can draw to the Johnson trade is when Ed Jovanovski was traded to Vancouver after his 4th pro season. Johnson is only in his 3rd year though...
Rob Ramage...Ironically traded from Colorado ROCKIES to St Louis.
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never a doubt.

Hell yes! It's a new year boys. Playoffs bound!

The Pens dominated that game beyond belief.   JS Giguere, and to a small extent the shot blockers, were the only reasons the Avs won.   Crosby and Malkin had more shots on goal than the entire A

I dont know too much about Eric Johnson's progress but I am assuming he hasnt lived up to his 1st overall status..Shattenkirk is supposed to be a stud and scorers like Stewart are hard to find.Not sure what they were thinking.
Erik Johnson has seriously not lived up to the hype (Pronger type). Don't forget he missed a year from that golf cart incident.You would think he played like a maniac yesterday (Johnson) so we should see if he can keep it up tonight.

I agree with Peter's comments. Well, except the part where he said the Avs were ready to compete for a Stanley Cup this year. This was a horrible trade that makes no sense. I especially agree with his comment about this trade having gutted the team. Shattenkirk and Stewart were in the top tier of talent on the team. I don't think this trade is defensible but I suppose I should look for some positives. Johnson's entry passes up ice has allowed us to get through the neutral zone several times which we were definitely missing. This should eventually translate into goals. Two games though. What else....u...mmmm.....uh......it shakes up the locker room and lights a fire under some asses?

Johnson is the best player in this trade, IMO. It's still debatable a lot though. I think the Avs probably saw Shattenkirk as a kid who never scored at any level having a value much higher than he should, and whatever problems they may have had with Stewart, and figured if they could parlay them into a legit #1 potential D-man, they should do it.

Johnson and Shattenkirk have taken extremely similar career tracks and put up extremely similar numbers, IMO. I'm not going to go as far as saying they're a wash, because they're not, but the similarity is certainly there. Johnson has considerable NHL size and obviously experience on Shattenkirk, that's the major difference.

Johnson and Shattenkirk have taken extremely similar career tracks and put up extremely similar numbers, IMO. I'm not going to go as far as saying they're a wash, because they're not, but the similarity is certainly there. Johnson has considerable NHL size and obviously experience on Shattenkirk, that's the major difference.
I don't watch St Louis games, but Johnson had a pretty sterling defensive reputation to start his career. Not sure how that's coming along, but that'd seem to be the major difference.The value of individual players has gotta be Johnson, Stewart than Shattenkirk. Half a season of offensive production doesn't make Shattenkirk a premium prospect, if he was only a 'very good' one before.Still, love this trade for the Blues.
I don't watch St Louis games, but Johnson had a pretty sterling defensive reputation to start his career. Not sure how that's coming along, but that'd seem to be the major difference.The value of individual players has gotta be Johnson, Stewart than Shattenkirk. Half a season of offensive production doesn't make Shattenkirk a premium prospect, if he was only a 'very good' one before.Still, love this trade for the Blues.
I've thought of Shattenkirk as being a premium prospect for a couple years now, personally. Maybe it's me but I don't rate Erik Johnson all that high in terms of superstar value, not that I necessarily rate Shattenkirk higher but I think it's easily conceivable that their NHL career numbers at the end of the day will be pretty close to one another. Johnson has the intangibles working for him in the NHL world though rather than the fantasy hockey world, he's a big mobile defenseman who plays first pairing minutes in all situations and also contributes points, total package guy. Shattenkirk is in his first season, plays a lot of minutes but doesn't kill penalties or possess the NHL size or strength yet to be a typical "all-around" NHL defenseman. Right now it's advantage Johnson > Shattenkirk. 3 years down the line, I'm not so sure it will still look that way.

Stewart would of looked great on the Penguins..I think he is a much better player than Neal but wonder if the Pens made a push.

• 9 months later...

Stefan Elliott makes his NHL debut. I have him in one of my pools and I am very high on him. Looks to be a very offensive defenseman with some very good numbers in OHL and AHL so far.Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Stefan Elliott makes his NHL debut. I have him in one of my pools and I am very high on him. Looks to be a very offensive defenseman with some very good numbers in OHL and AHL so far.Anyone else have any thoughts on him?
I mostly have your thoughts on him, since I'm an Elliott owner myself.
FFFFFFFFFFFFHave tickets tonights, but my firend cancelled and I'm struggling to find somebody else on short notice. Is it pathetic to go alone, lol?

I didnt see the game, but from the boxscore it looks like a hell of an NHL debut.19 plus minutes. Scores the winning goal and named the first star.

I'd go alone and hang out around the ticket window and give the extra ticket to another lone wolf. I went to the Flames game nov 12th and it was the most fun I can remember having at a sporting event. We lost but whatever. Totally different game live. I had a decent view. bezXH.jpgElliot was fun to watch last night. He didn't seem to get into trouble pinching in and he made some fantastic defensive plays. blocked a pass in a 2 on 1 that saved a huge scoring chance for the oilers. Getting a goal in your 1st NHL game has to be pretty special. Johnson was scratched for a groin (?) injury which I have to believe because there are several other defenseman I'd rather sit than him. It's so much more fun watching when we win.

Yeah I thought about trying to sell one/both but I bought them as part of the 14 game plan and they have "Redemption games" where if you miss any games in your package you can trade them in for a different date. And yeah... I guess that's an OK view. That red light is totally in the way though... ;)Edit- Agree with the EJ issue. He's been pretty bad this year, but he's not the fire one I would sit.

I'd go alone and hang out around the ticket window and give the extra ticket to another lone wolf. I went to the Flames game nov 12th and it was the most fun I can remember having at a sporting event. We lost but whatever. Totally different game live. I had a decent view.
Curious, how much do they charge for this ticket?

145 each plus fees and taxes. I'm not sure how Sacco still has his job. I think it was a mistake to keep him after last year but now it's really time to make a change. over/under on the number of games he coaches for the AVS is 5 and I'd take the under.