I'm Getting An English Bulldog Puppy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depressing to think that this dog is probably dead by now.

How about Davey Boy?British%20Bulldog%20Front.jpg
Pretty much the whole reason I started wanting a bulldog when I was a kid. They had two different ones I believe, Matilda and Winston. I was more of a fan of the duo (Dynamite Kid + Davey Boy) then just roided up Davey Boy, but I think tDK died or something. (and obv Davey Boy died too years later).

My college gf and I raised puppies for Guiding Eyes. So I have raised many puppies and many that are now working seeing eye dogs. The syllable thing is a good idea, but nicknames always work for shortening for training purposes, but something that I think is really important is the first sound in the name. It should really be a hard consonant. D's K's T's way better then N's S's M's etc. When that first sound comes out strong it makes the dog listen faster. "Kyle No!" is more effective then "Rufus No!" And when dealing with a dog that is prone to behavior problems this may be something you want to consider. Also avoid any name ending in -es or -o for their obvious likeness to the sounds of yes and no. Now that I've added my $0.02 I vote for Kazak, the hound of space, from The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.Or maybe Brian in homage to Family Guy.

My college gf and I raised puppies for Guiding Eyes. So I have raised many puppies and many that are now working seeing eye dogs. The syllable thing is a good idea, but nicknames always work for shortening for training purposes, but something that I think is really important is the first sound in the name. It should really be a hard consonant. D's K's T's way better then N's S's M's etc. When that first sound comes out strong it makes the dog listen faster. "Kyle No!" is more effective then "Rufus No!" And when dealing with a dog that is prone to behavior problems this may be something you want to consider. Also avoid any name ending in -es or -o for their obvious likeness to the sounds of yes and no. Now that I've added my $0.02 I vote for Kazak, the hound of space, from The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.Or maybe Brian in homage to Family Guy.
Yup, that's what I've heard regarding 'soft sounding' names etc. Anything with a soft 'a' (ah), etc. It's really important from what I gather when it comes to training them. Luckily, bulldogs pretty much just want to sit on their ass and be around their families after they grow out of the puppy stage, so I won't have to worry about it's behavior too much.

PM let me know where you got it and how much and whether you had a good experience or not.i ahve been looking for one of these for months and there are none here in No CAL. The ones out of state that I have found are up to $3500, and I cannot justify two mortgage payments for a dog.

Crunk Newcastle should be his whole name. Then you could call him Crunk, Crunky, or Newk (pronounced like nuke) for short. That's pretty stupid, though.I like JJJ's idea. You could also go with Cerberus, too, if you wanted, but I don't know if you're keen on the idea of having your dog named after a 3-headed hell-hound. I've always thought "Gryphon" was a cool name for a dog, too.Wang

You could call him Barf and pretend he is a Mog, half man half dog, and then when he gets lonely because you are playing poker late into the night, you can remind him that he is his own best friend.

PM let me know where you got it and how much and whether you had a good experience or not.i ahve been looking for one of these for months and there are none here in No CAL. The ones out of state that I have found are up to $3500, and I cannot justify two mortgage payments for a dog.
As soon as I get him, I'll be more then happy to give you a recommendation. Heh I'm such a skeptic though, I don't trust anything/anyone until the transaction is complete. Like I said in the original post, there are a _ton_ of scams online, so you have to be really careful. There are a lot of web sites that give you a ton of tips on dealing with the breeders, and give you a bunch of questions to ask. Still, a good scammer should be able to answer the questions right, so you never know.I pretty much won't deal with anyone that isn't willing to use escrow.com, or puppyescrow.com, so that way they can't just take my money and run.So if it all works out with Monty (temp) and his breeder, I'll pass you on to them. I believe they still supposedly (as long as its not a scam) have a few puppies from the litter. If they don't I could also give you some leads on my secondary canidates, but with two of those I'm not too sure about the breeder/seller...seem like scams maybe.As for price, I'm not paying 3500, but it's not a paltry sum. They say to beware of anything like 1k or less, or the people advertising free pups. Way too expensive of a dog for them to be too cheap. If you are not looking for a show class dog (which I'm not), then you should be able to find a pup for 1500-2000. I've seen older bulldogs (2 years or so) that are fully developed and 10k online. Those tend to be show dogs though.
Crunk Newcastle should be his whole name. Then you could call him Crunk, Crunky, or Newk (pronounced like nuke) for short. That's pretty stupid, though.I like JJJ's idea. You could also go with Cerberus, too, if you wanted, but I don't know if you're keen on the idea of having your dog named after a 3-headed hell-hound. I've always thought "Gryphon" was a cool name for a dog, too.Wang
I considered Cerberus for the obvious greek mythological reference, but the name is a bit awkward and long....too bad though because it's exactly the type of reference I think would be cool.

1. Winston (probably done all to hell, but w/e)2. Cappuccino (Capu for short)3. Jonesy 4. Mordechai5. Mr. Winkles, Destroyer of WorldsNice looking dog, btw. I have a cat that looks like a French Bulldog

Name it Cappucino if you want the dog to be a fag..
DDIDM is right, you know, but you have to remember...it's a British bulldog. Not only will it have bad teeth, but it's highly likely it's a fag dog regardless of the name, depending on whether it went to Oxford, Cambridge or Eton.
DDIDM is right, you know, but you have to remember...it's a British bulldog. Not only will it have bad teeth, but it's highly likely it's a fag dog regardless of the name, depending on whether it went to Oxford, Cambridge or Eton.
Exactly. Personally, I'd name him Hideo.. after the greatest Dodgers pitcher of the last 50 years.
As soon as I get him, I'll be more then happy to give you a recommendation. Heh I'm such a skeptic though, I don't trust anything/anyone until the transaction is complete. Like I said in the original post, there are a _ton_ of scams online, so you have to be really careful. There are a lot of web sites that give you a ton of tips on dealing with the breeders, and give you a bunch of questions to ask. Still, a good scammer should be able to answer the questions right, so you never know.I pretty much won't deal with anyone that isn't willing to use escrow.com, or puppyescrow.com, so that way they can't just take my money and run.So if it all works out with Monty (temp) and his breeder, I'll pass you on to them. I believe they still supposedly (as long as its not a scam) have a few puppies from the litter. If they don't I could also give you some leads on my secondary canidates, but with two of those I'm not too sure about the breeder/seller...seem like scams maybe.As for price, I'm not paying 3500, but it's not a paltry sum. They say to beware of anything like 1k or less, or the people advertising free pups. Way too expensive of a dog for them to be too cheap. If you are not looking for a show class dog (which I'm not), then you should be able to find a pup for 1500-2000. I've seen older bulldogs (2 years or so) that are fully developed and 10k online. Those tend to be show dogs though.
I also want one that is mostly white, which seem to be more expensive and rarer. But I have not done a ton o f research. I have also heard they are expesive to take care of, any thoughts on this?
Gary Radnich and Tony Bruno are noddingname the dog rick. it's a normal name so it's like he's just another one of the guys.
Oh, how I love when an obscure reference is noted and appreciated... :club:

I like the normal name thing because it makes the stories you tell about the crazy/stupid stuff he does that much better. People will be amazed at the stupidity/crazyness of this person and later find out it is just the dog. It's probably only funny to me though.

I also want one that is mostly white, which seem to be more expensive and rarer. But I have not done a ton o f research. I have also heard they are expesive to take care of, any thoughts on this?
They say as long as you are diligent, there really is no reason that it's care should be anything more then another dog. Most of the health problems associated with bulldogs come from bad breeding/conditions where they are breed...Puppy farms/factories. :(You have to be careful it doesn't get too fat, because then it will have hip problems later on in life, you have to be careful in the summer because it reacts bad to hot weather, can't let it over exert itself etc...The all white ones are more expensive and rare, because they are considered the top show dogs in the breed. A lot of the cute female puppies are all white, but i have my heart set on a boy. I'll keep an eye out for any all white boy puppies and PM you any I see.
So naming my dog "magnadoodle" was a bad idea?