** Official 2007-2008 San Jose Sharks Thread **

I'll be dancing for joy when they get a new coach. Pat burns anyone?
He would be a really good fit for that team I think. They need a kick in the arse especially come playoff time and someone maybe to fire up big Joe. What's wrong with Marleau this year?
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How we feeling about the upcoming 6-game homestand?Going to shake off the horror shows of earlier this season and roar past Dallas?5-4 last night wasn't great and it didn't seem like Calgary were awesome, they just got some lucky breaks.Nabby must have felt sorry for Nolan or something lol

How we feeling about the upcoming 6-game homestand?Going to shake off the horror shows of earlier this season and roar past Dallas?5-4 last night wasn't great and it didn't seem like Calgary were awesome, they just got some lucky breaks.Nabby must have felt sorry for Nolan or something lol
That Flames game was tough. I watched todays game against the Hawks, great ending! :club:
  • 3 weeks later...

Should Nabby have came back last night?Granted I never saw the game but after reading that he took a puck in the face and suffered a bad cut, I don't. Do we think he should have been sat out? I don't care who you are that kind of thing has to shake you. I've taken some bad ones to the face in my time and know that playing after it is tough. It's certainly going to be harder at NHL level when players are not going to show you sympathy.You can argue I wouldn't be making this point if we won but I don't think there was a reason to put him back out there.Discuss

NHL.com under game highlights has good highlights of the whole game (every game). That had to have rattled him but nothing crazy enough to throw him off. They have been playin some terrible hockey lately and im a little worried come playoff time especially if we move up and get home ice (doesnt look like it).

Should Nabby have came back last night?Granted I never saw the game but after reading that he took a puck in the face and suffered a bad cut, I don't. Do we think he should have been sat out? I don't care who you are that kind of thing has to shake you. I've taken some bad ones to the face in my time and know that playing after it is tough. It's certainly going to be harder at NHL level when players are not going to show you sympathy.You can argue I wouldn't be making this point if we won but I don't think there was a reason to put him back out there.Discuss
I watched most of the third period, and he just didn't look right. I have watched a fair amount of SJ games (my fantasy gtd) to know he wasn't himself on those goals, and even others he did barely manage to save. I can't say for sure it was the injury from the previous period, but I think it might have had an effect. I can't figure out why they are overplaying him so much. I guess Wilson trusts him, and Nabokov keeps telling his coach he is fine. I think this could really affect him/them soon, or worse, come playoff time.

I think its clear why he's playing so much. Patzold and Griess just aren't good enough (yet) to shoulder the responsibilty of playing a lot games. He has proven since h stopped splitting time with Toskala that he is capable of taking a big workload. He is easily one of the best goalies in the league and I'm happy to see him play as often as he and Wilson are comfortable. But I can't agree with him coming back when we had a good lead and he obviously wasn't 100%. I watched the highlights too and he wasn't too clever, we need him at 100% for the playoffs.Are there any cheap, vetern goalies around that we could get to back him up down the stretch?To seanmalone, home ice is starting to feel like the fevered dream of a madman! This East coast trip is going to cost us big style.

We had a good shot a getting Curtis Joseph which we should have jumped on but who knows. They must know what they are doing with the goalies, Toskala-Toronto, Kipprisoff(sp)-Calgary(just some recent big name goalies). I wish we never got rid of them but they are to good for backups. Shitty. Even Scott Sheilds was good

Nabokov has stated that he wants to play every game this season.
Do you know many goalies that ask to sit? It should be up to him and the coach together, and I fail to see why SJ needs to have Nabokov start all 82. They won't miss the playoffs if they lose a game or two. As a fan of hockey, I think its great. But if I was a SJ fan, I'd wonder why not start the kids or get a veteran you have SOME confidence in and let him play 10 games here and there. I think its a real risk your taking and I dont know why a team that always has issues come playoff time, and sometimes with their gtd, is taking any risk at all.
Do you know many goalies that ask to sit? It should be up to him and the coach together, and I fail to see why SJ needs to have Nabokov start all 82. They won't miss the playoffs if they lose a game or two. As a fan of hockey, I think its great. But if I was a SJ fan, I'd wonder why not start the kids or get a veteran you have SOME confidence in and let him play 10 games here and there. I think its a real risk your taking and I dont know why a team that always has issues come playoff time, and sometimes with their gtd, is taking any risk at all.
There's a big difference between not asking to sit and asking to play every game.
There's a big difference between not asking to sit and asking to play every game.
ok, my bad, I worded it wrong.Brodeur, Luongo, Belfour. At one time or another, I have read about all 3 asking to play every game. None of them ever came close, coaches decision.Just like pitchers in baseball, you have to know the player and how to manage them. Could he play all 82? sure. should he? only they can answer that, and my point was, you don't do it just cause the goalie wants to.
ok, my bad, I worded it wrong.Brodeur, Luongo, Belfour. At one time or another, I have read about all 3 asking to play every game. None of them ever came close, coaches decision.Just like pitchers in baseball, you have to know the player and how to manage them. Could he play all 82? sure. should he? only they can answer that, and my point was, you don't do it just cause the goalie wants to.
I never said I thought that he should play all 82 games. I simply stated that he made a point of asking to play all the games this season.
I never said I thought that he should play all 82 games. I simply stated that he made a point of asking to play all the games this season.
I never said you did. Not sure where you got that I was talking about your opinion on him playing all 82. Wasn't meant to be implied either.I was merely quoting you because I was giving my opinion that other goalies have asked/stated such things, and not played all 82. My post was just my opinion, that, based on the opinions posed in the thread, and my previous post about him being put back in yesterday, maybe playing him all 82 games is not worth the risk for a team like SJ.
maybe playing him all 82 games is not worth the risk for a team like SJ.
I agree entirely with this.Going to be tough tonight because he will have to play against NJ if we are to take anything from this trip.

well I'm fine with him playing as many games as he wants. There's not much of a chance that Patzold or Greiss would be able to do much anyway since they haven't played much at all. If they can sign a free agent veteran then that's probably a smart idea. I don't like the idea of trading for a goalie though (unless it's cheap (get what you pay for though eh?)).

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this could do with a bump after last night going about as well as even the most optimistic of fans could hope for.A win coupled with losses for Dallas and Anaheim, and production from Marleau - happy days!

Very happy to see Marleau in the mix, we need his speed but with him putting up some points that always nice. Wilson must have beat there asses after the way they were playing B4 they hit 7 in a row. And i dont know about you but i feel a little more comfortable having Boucher backing up Nabby even though he only played 1 game and it was a shutout. Were not gonna need him though.

Very happy to see Marleau in the mix, we need his speed but with him putting up some points that always nice. Wilson must have beat there asses after the way they were playing B4 they hit 7 in a row. And i dont know about you but i feel a little more comfortable having Boucher backing up Nabby even though he only played 1 game and it was a shutout. Were not gonna need him though.
Yeh Wilson definitely lit a fire up under them to get them playing this way. Boucher will do a job, seasoned veteran not spectacular but should give the guys in front of him more confidence than a rookie.Pacific division title possible? Or the fevered dream of a madman?
Pacific division title possible? Or the fevered dream of a madman?
after these five games, nine of the last ten are against the pacific division.home and away against each team and one more away against LA.definitely possible especially since three games in hand and three points behind. But, it won't be easy and that stretch of games is very important. It might come down to the final game at dallas
after these five games, nine of the last ten are against the pacific division.home and away against each team and one more away against LA.definitely possible especially since three games in hand and three points behind. But, it won't be easy and that stretch of games is very important. It might come down to the final game at dallas
Final day at Dallas for the division, that gets me excited...Still a long road to get there I know but we've been so streaky this year I'd hope that those last 10 could be a winning streak!Do you make it to a lot of games runthemover? The home game awfullness ceased?

I had season tickets for a few years in the 90's. I saw quite a few losses. And, a few playoff games.I usually only go a couple times a year now and it's usually to see Eastern Conference teams. None this year yet though. Whenever I visit friend in LA, we try to go out and see a game. I prefer to sit down in the lower bowl and only see one or two games than to sit high up and see a lot (even though it's not bad from the upper bowl). I'm fine with watching games at home and this way I can watch other games on Centre Ice in between periods.I wish I could've gone to these last two games since they would've been on my 'go to see' list but I had class. If they play the ducks in the playoffs, I'm definitely going to try and go down to anaheim for a game.

Hi sean, welcome here !You watch the game yesterday ? I had to listen the the radio feed online, no TV here...sux...one Pacific road trip in 3 years and no Canadian network sends a crew down there...come on...I'm tilted...boo NHL...OK, well for the game it seems the Sens played solid through like 43 minutes and then had the play taken to them for most of the third. Well deserved loss I guess then.Thoughts ?
If they play the ducks in the playoffs, I'm definitely going to try and go down to anaheim for a game.
I hear that, im 20 min away from The Pond and i was gonna go last year but the Ducks and Sharks blew it. If the standings stay the same they might meet in the 1st round this year. I need to get Centre Ice!Silver, I only get to see the games when they play the ducks and kings or on Versus sometimes. The good thing is the video highlights on NHL.com, they show a good portion of the game and how plays set up for the goals instead of a picture of the puck in the back of the net. If i dont see the score on Sportscenter, I go to work and watch the 5 Min. highlights and its like a game, every minute im either cheering or cussing.