** Official 2007-2008 San Jose Sharks Thread **

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when see you see the two plays that they called the penalties, it makes you wonder why all sorts of other plays weren't calledahh wellsharks played well. stars played well. should be very good conf finals

I don't think you could say either played better than the othernabby might've had a couple more spectacular saves but turco faced more real threats overallalso, there's the obvious he stopped all but one shot whereas nabby let in two.it's funny how a top three penalty kill stats-wise regular season could be so awful in the playoffs.

Well it sucks that this season has to come to an end, but after last night's game I have nothing but pride in my heart. For some reason this second round loss isn't as bad as the past couple of years. To come back from being down 3-0 in the series to being 3-2 and in a 4th overtime of Game 6...all I can say is WOW! Great game boys...great game!! Good luck to the Stars in Round 3, you're gonna need it lol.

You got to give the Sharks credit for not giving up and fighting their way back. That overtime had some great highlight saves from both goalies. I think Detroit was hoping for a few more overtimes with San Jose winning and taking it to game 7...ah it doesn't matter. I think Detroit is going to handle Dallas pretty easy, even with Turco.

Great game - tough result. Once the officials called that first penalty on the Stars in OT, Remenda had it nailed that the refs would look for a situation to even it up. Campbell obviously tripped the guy so it was time for the "even it up" call and with the pitiful performance of the Sharks' penalty kill unit, it would have taken some good fortune to get out of this spot especially with how tired the players were.Not sure how much Michalek being knocked out hurt, but the Sharks looked more winded at the end of the OTs than the Stars did. I figured that if the Sharks didn't score in the first half of the OT period(s), they'd be in trouble.Both goalies were awesome and had to stop some point blank shots (e.g. Turco on Thornton, Nabby on Ribiero).I was watching on Comcast Sportsnet and they had some great shots of the sharks players in OT, just absolutely winded and gasping for air on the bench (Thornton esp). As for strategy, I would played Setoguchi over Rismissler despite Seto's screwup in Game 5. He brings energy and obviously brings more of an offensive game - Mitchell and Plihal were doing some good work in OT due to their fresh and young legs.Finally, I'm not sure why the Sharks continue to use the contain defense instead of the pressure defense that the Stars use. Remenda brought this up quite a bit and the bend but don't break strategy results in more chances for the Stars than the Sharks. You can tell the difference in the way the two power play units did as the Sharks were constantly harassed on the power play and had to work to even get a decent shot off while the Stars seemingly could get a Zubov shot from the point whenever they wanted to as a last option.I think that Ron Wilson is gone and that the sharks need to change their modus operandi as proven by a bunch of second round exits in a row. Not sure if Campbell will stick around but the D is where I can see the Sharks making the biggest push for improvement in the off season (some more offensive minded D guys.

It was a great series and the goalies stole the show for the most part.I was once again unimpressed with Joe Thornton.

I was once again unimpressed with Joe Thornton.
me too. And with Marleau as well. Neither looked particulary dangerous last night, when it mattered most.I'm a fan of both in the regular season, but their playoff performances leave a lot to be desired.
me too. And with Marleau as well. Neither looked particulary dangerous last night, when it mattered most.I'm a fan of both in the regular season, but their playoff performances leave a lot to be desired.
He was pretty much only the MVP of the series with Calgary, and he had 2 short handed goals against Dallas...yeah you're right, his performance left a lot to be desired.

marleau was probably the best defensive forward for the sharks in that game last night. you could argue mike grier I suppose.Coming into this playoff season, marleau was the top goal scorer for the past three playoff seasons. He definitely had a bad one last year, but for whatever reason people take that to mean he's not a playoff performer at all.I would agree he was inconsitent this playoffs though. I suppose if you want to go with just the past two seasons then you'd be right. And, I guess you can't fault people for doing that. Maybe I'm staking too much on his '04 and '06 performances.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh. I suppose as a detached fan I can never truly see if the coach is making monumental mistakes without the Bay Area media telling me he has. I liked him, his regular season record is second to no-one. Granted the playoffs is all that count. I'm officially pulling for Lindy Ruff as new coach now!
Not sure how I feel about it tbh. I suppose as a detached fan I can never truly see if the coach is making monumental mistakes without the Bay Area media telling me he has. I liked him, his regular season record is second to no-one. Granted the playoffs is all that count. I'm officially pulling for Lindy Ruff as new coach now!
During the season there were questions about his ever changing lines and singling out/embarrassing players in practice etc. There were also rumors that he wouldn't take calls from Patty Marleau during the off-season and basically gave him the silent treatment when talks of Marleau being traded were surfacing. You add this to his playoff record and well this was bound to happen. I was a fan/supporter of Wilson and didn't want to see him go...but as this years' playoffs played out I came to the realization that his coaching style just isn't cut out for the post-season. I'm not sure who Doug Wilson has in mind to replace Ron Wilson, but I'm sure he wouldn't have made this move if there wasn't already someone waiting in the wings. I would personally love to see Drew Remenda get a shot, but I doubt he would want it/the Sharks would even consider it. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting Rumor in the Sharks BlogMarleau and a player to be named to Columbus for Zherdev and their 1st round pick (6th overall). Basically, this would free up $ to sign Campbell who is a Thorton Buddy and allow the Sharks to name Joe the Captain as well.Not sure how I feel about this as Marleau was the best Shark during the playoffs but obviously something needs to be changed to get the Sharks to the next level.Sharks Blog

Interesting Rumor in the Sharks BlogMarleau and a player to be named to Columbus for Zherdev and their 1st round pick (6th overall). Basically, this would free up $ to sign Campbell who is a Thorton Buddy and allow the Sharks to name Joe the Captain as well.Not sure how I feel about this as Marleau was the best Shark during the playoffs but obviously something needs to be changed to get the Sharks to the next level.Sharks Blog
Strange that they would ditch both Wilson and Marleau.. but I guess it would be a good idea to have neither side "win".

It's all about the draft pick. If the SJ management believe they can get someone talented enough from number 6, and from what I've read/heard its possible as this should be a deep draft year, then I'm not entirely against it. I love Marleau but something's gotta give and freeing up cap space for Campbell seems more important now. Also, Zherdev could be pretty sweet alongside Joe and Cheech.Who knows, maybe the move would be good for Patty too. Natural leader in a young team with some very talented guys like Nash around him. Long ways to go though. Let's appoint a new coach first.

Who else is going to be sent? Will the guy we draft be able to play this year? Will Campbell be signed?I'm a Marleau fan and think he gets way more grief than he should. If anything, Joe should be getting more grief. He just doesn't dominate like he does in the regular season.I think another solid defenceman is more important at this point. I think Campbell being on the team for the whole season will help but can we count on Ehrhoff and Vlasic stepping up? Vlasic had a down year and Christian was mixed at best. McLaren was bad for the most part. Maybe injuries took their toll harder than they let us know. Rivet was way too intense (since no one else was intense at all) and is s l o w slow. Murray improved a lot this year. Their not easy to come by, but we just don't have that one guy. Hannan was a shut down guy. Too bad he left.One thing I don't like is that the blog says the Sharks will trade Marleau to free up room to sign Campbell. If I remember correctly, they have plenty of space to do that already and more if they want. I know this team loses money but I don't understand why. They sell out most games (with tickets probably higher than league average). Their payroll isn't at the top of the cap. I guess they don't sell enough merchandise. Their obviously not spending their money on making the ice great.

• 2 weeks later...