too many people in the hand.

I've noticed that I play really well when the table is narrowed down to 2 players or so. When like 7 people stay in for the flop I tend to lose some really big hands. IE, I stay in with Q7 or whatever because it's cheap and a Q98 will show up and I'll lose to a 98 or a straight. Where as when it's down to two people I typically win hands like that pretty easily or fold pretty easily. I read people better with fewer in, and the more people the worse I am at reading (because the minimum bets don't tell me anything about their cards). Typically in early rounds nearly everyone at the table will stay in for the minimum bet and if I'm on the blinds or dealer, etc I'll stay in too. But typically I won't reraise to narrow the field with Q7 either. I don't have a specific question, but any thoughts on this? Ways to improve?

Q7? why are you playing this? i mean, even from the BB if you hit your Q its probly outkicked.i think the issue is hand selection. i know its tempting to play alotta different stuff in a multiway pot but its not profitable (barring good multiway hands like small pocket pairs)

Well, the Q7 was an example. Not a particular hand. The actual hand in question I had J10 suited and the flop came up JJ9. I checked because a 10 kicker isn't that great and everyone also checked. The turn came up 8 so now I had 3 J's with an open ended straight draw and since everyone else checked I didn't figure they had a J. I bet a decent amount. I was raised by a guy, he went all in and I figured he maybe had a straight draw or a flush draw or something so I called him and he had QJ but was slow playing it. Normally I just fold JTs but when it's cheap it's a nice hand to play. And if I do play it in a pot with two people I might be able to put a guy on AJ or QJ because he stayed in, but with everyone staying in with the minimum I figured even if he had a J he'd only have J2 or something... Or maybe he had something worse, etc.

I've noticed that I play really well when the table is narrowed down to 2 players or so. When like 7 people stay in for the flop I tend to lose some really big hands.
More people = more variance. You lose more hands, but the hands you win have much bigger pots; the key is to ensure that your wins more than pay for your losses. It's all about hand selection, and ensuring you don't call down to the river with the second best hand; if you can master the skills, loose games are ridiculously profitable. Playing percentages and pushing small edges can be very profitable; hands like 22 or JTs, which are going to lose a lot more than they win, can still be very profitable at a loose table if you maximize your winnings when they do hit a favourable flop. Stone cold bluffs and any kind of slowplay are usually a bad idea, because people will put their money in the pot no matter what you do so you can't generally take them with a weaker hand and slowplaying a strong hand merely loses bets. OTOH betting and raising with a strong draw (such as an open-ended straight draw or four-flush) is usually very profitable.And bankroll management is utterly critical - because these games are high variance, sometimes you're just going to get killed even when you play correctly. Even when you lose your entire stack because eight or nine times in a row people hit 3-outers to beat your monster, you have to have the ability and the discipline to dust yourself off, pick up another rack of chips, and try again.

Okay, a followup question then. What types of hand do you consider "good" hands after the flop when like 6-8 people are playing. Top pair? Flush draw? Two pair?I definatley think that if 8 people stay in mid-pair sucks, but with 2 people it's better. Any sort of guideline for that situation?They players weren't loose, but everyone had mediocre hands that were worth the minimum bet since it was the first round of a tourney. 50 chips when everyone has 5000? That's nothing and it's worth it to see a flop I think. Plus it's a friendly game and people want to see some cards. Once the blinds increase the table typically tightens up quite a bit. But the first hour has lots of family pots.

ok first of early on and it is cheap well let them play that way stay good and tight and when they get tight you get a little more aggressive. I personally hate limping into a pot if i am going to play i know there is a time and a place for it but i would much rather through a few more chips in pre flop and knock out some people and have no idea what kind of cards they are playing i mean i have seen people limp with any hand AA though 2 7, and it give my hands greater deception and a great chance of picking up the pot on the flop. and just cause it is friendly doesn't mean you have to play friendly just be friendly as you take there money.