This is a 1/2 NL game and the stacks are pretty deep. I have about $800 and i raise it to $20 preflop with As Ac. I get two callers.The flop comes down 5s Ad 5hBoth callers check to me. How do I extract maximum value from this pot without scaring anybody off?

This is a 1/2 NL game and the stacks are pretty deep. I have about $800 and i raise it to $20 preflop with As Ac. I get two callers.The flop comes down 5s Ad 5hBoth callers check to me. How do I extract maximum value from this pot without scaring anybody off?
It basically comes down to the tendencies of the two callers. Any decent player will immediately smell a huge rat if you check the flop then wake up on the turn or river. This is probably one of those situations where you have flopped an absolute monster and noone else has a piece. I know that if I am playing a TAG and they raise pf and then fail to continuation bet an A or K high flop I am suspicious of a set and I often find this to be the case.With respect to this hand as I said it pretty much depends on the two opponents and how they play. I might try a weak lead of like $30ish trying to represent a scared JJ/QQ/KK? I dunno, its often pretty tough to get value here.
It basically comes down to the tendencies of the two callers. Any decent player will immediately smell a huge rat if you check the flop then wake up on the turn or river. This is probably one of those situations where you have flopped an absolute monster and noone else has a piece. I know that if I am playing a TAG and they raise pf and then fail to continuation bet an A or K high flop I am suspicious of a set and I often find this to be the case.With respect to this hand as I said it pretty much depends on the two opponents and how they play. I might try a weak lead of like $30ish trying to represent a scared JJ/QQ/KK? I dunno, its often pretty tough to get value here.
This is so wrong..... You have Aces full and you want to bet $30 on the flop when it's obvious nobody has anything? Do you hate money?
This is so wrong..... You have Aces full and you want to bet $30 on the flop when it's obvious nobody has anything? Do you hate money?
What are we getting anyway if nobody has an A or a 5? If someone has a 5 the hand will play out easily anyway. If someone is an A we are most likely to get action by betting the flop. By checking here what are we hoping to achieve? I guess someone could hit a 2-outer for a smaller boat, but that would be about it.
Also, why couldn't one of the callers have called our pf raise with a decent A and be planning on check-raising us on the flop? Just because they both checked to us here doesn't mean it is obvious that nobody has anything.

One of the callers is pretty solid. he would have led out if he had any piece of the flop. His check meant that he had nothing. The second caller is pretty LAG. he'll basically play any two cards hoping to catch a piece of the flop. He could well have a 5 and check it to me hoping that I had an A. However, it didn't seem as though they caught a piece, so I checked the flopped behind. $20 preflop is really not that big of a raise with these stack sizes and I could have been raising in position with KQ or something like that.So I checked the flop behind them and the turn brought a 7h putting a flush draw on the board. The first guy checks, the second puts in a $30 bet. What's my next move? Do I raise or smooth call.

One of the callers is pretty solid. he would have led out if he had any piece of the flop. His check meant that he had nothing. The second caller is pretty LAG. he'll basically play any two cards hoping to catch a piece of the flop. He could well have a 5 and check it to me hoping that I had an A. However, it didn't seem as though they caught a piece, so I checked the flopped behind. $20 preflop is really not that big of a raise with these stack sizes and I could have been raising in position with KQ or something like that.So I checked the flop behind them and the turn brought a 7h putting a flush draw on the board. The first guy checks, the second puts in a $30 bet. What's my next move? Do I raise or smooth call.
I think this is a very hard hand to play. I like to bet when I hit even if its trips. I think though with this board and your gut, a check on the flop is the right play, though I wouldn't pay you off with anything but a set on the turn or river. Then on the turn...my gut says min raise but thats probably not a good move because if he does call he'll just check the river to you anyway. I'd call and hope he hits a miracle on the river (though I wouldn't want a five!). If you did raise, I'd raise to 90. But with a hand like this, I tend to want to make my session on this hand. I've been known to go all in here and hope that if he has a 5 he'll call. I know its an extreme overbet, but it looks like a scared bet as well.

If you'd have missed, you'd have bet. That's what your opponents are thinking. If you go checking behind (unless you have a really passive image) people are going to smell a rat.In brief, you're looking at 6 outs at very best for your opponents to hit one of their hole cards - that's 25% by the river, which could allow just one round of betting. If, however, people think you're betting on air, which is very possible with such a narrow board, they're more likely to call in defiance.Hope that makes sense.

If you'd have missed, you'd have bet. That's what your opponents are thinking. If you go checking behind (unless you have a really passive image) people are going to smell a rat.In brief, you're looking at 6 outs at very best for your opponents to hit one of their hole cards - that's 25% by the river, which could allow just one round of betting. If, however, people think you're betting on air, which is very possible with such a narrow board, they're more likely to call in defiance.Hope that makes sense.
Call in defiance? So there are 3 cards left in the deck that either one of these villains need to have for a bet on the flop to keep someone around. Betting this flop will scare everyone away 90% of the time and you win nothing. Does that make sense?

This is one of those cases where you have the deck completely crushed and I really think you need to check this flop and let someone catch ANY type of hope on the turn. The only time I would bet this flop is if I've been getting into it with someone at the table and I think they're ready to play back at me. The two players you're up against seem like they're going to give up this hand if you bet, so you need to check and hope someone does something stupid.When he bets the turn, I'd just flat call trying to look like you're scared of the A on the board while holding a big pair... maybe if his flush doesn't hit, he'll try to represent the ace on the river or something dumb like that... You've got them so crushed they're probably not making a 2nd best hand, so you need them to make a bonehead play like bluffing.

If you have been continuation betting then you should have bet this flop something weak... a third of the pot sounds right. People don't need an A or a 5 here. If they think you have neither they may be inclined to play a pp... or possibly but rarely 2 high cards. If you have checked and given up control after raising preflop before, it may not be so bad to do so here.The bet on the turn is one of two things, air, or a flush draw. You have to raise here. If it's air, in most cases you're not getting 2 barrels in your face so calling is worthless. If it's a flush draw you have to make them pay now, instead of when the flush hits. Also you can't raise smallish to price him in directly for a flush draw, you have to make it look like you're trying to bet out the flush... that way if the flush hits you get paid off more.

If you have been continuation betting then you should have bet this flop something weak... a third of the pot sounds right. People don't need an A or a 5 here. If they think you have neither they may be inclined to play a pp... or possibly but rarely 2 high cards. If you have checked and given up control after raising preflop before, it may not be so bad to do so here.The bet on the turn is one of two things, air, or a flush draw. You have to raise here. If it's air, in most cases you're not getting 2 barrels in your face so calling is worthless. If it's a flush draw you have to make them pay now, instead of when the flush hits. Also you can't raise smallish to price him in directly for a flush draw, you have to make it look like you're trying to bet out the flush... that way if the flush hits you get paid off more.
This boils down to your image. If we c-bet consistently enough, we can c-bet this flop and get a call. If not, then we're waiting for a villain to catch.
This is obviously a split topic. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, you're either getting money or not, and the flop is the time to find out which it will be.
Very eloquently put, short and to the point. I either bet 1/2 - 2/3 the pot to look like a continuation bet, or I over bet to make it look like a scared hand (weak ace maybe). That's just me - not big on the slow play. I play crap fast and I play the nuts fast.
This is obviously a split topic. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, you're either getting money or not, and the flop is the time to find out which it will be.
This is absolutely true. You need to decide on the flop what kind of hands you want to pay you off. Ideally you want the LAG to have a 5 so you can get his stack (if he's the type that would pay you off like that). Give him a chance to get the money in with a 5. If you check the flop and then raise the small turn bet you give him a chance to realize that you're slowplaying a big hand and he might go into check call mode with his three 5s (unless he's an idiot, in which case it probably doesn't matter what you do, the money's going in). How would you play the hand if you just had ak? That's the hand he wants you to have if he has three 5s and that's what you should represent while you think of how you're going to spend his money. If he doesn't have three 5's you're probably not getting that much money anyways. When I play nlhe and I flop a big hand I'm not looking to squeeze a little bit out of the weak hands that I'm against, I'm looking to stack the big, 2nd best hands that could be out there. You will take down more pots unopposed, but I believe that you will win more in the long term if you have that mindset.
This is absolutely true. You need to decide on the flop what kind of hands you want to pay you off. Ideally you want the LAG to have a 5 so you can get his stack (if he's the type that would pay you off like that). Give him a chance to get the money in with a 5. If you check the flop and then raise the small turn bet you give him a chance to realize that you're slowplaying a big hand and he might go into check call mode with his three 5s (unless he's an idiot, in which case it probably doesn't matter what you do, the money's going in). How would you play the hand if you just had ak? That's the hand he wants you to have if he has three 5s and that's what you should represent while you think of how you're going to spend his money. If he doesn't have three 5's you're probably not getting that much money anyways. When I play nlhe and I flop a big hand I'm not looking to squeeze a little bit out of the weak hands that I'm against, I'm looking to stack the big, 2nd best hands that could be out there. You will take down more pots unopposed, but I believe that you will win more in the long term if you have that mindset.
My thinking, too. If you don't have the image to get a call here from an A or a pp, or all the chips from a random 5, then you might as well shut down the hand and wait to hit the nuts again.
This boils down to your image. If we c-bet consistently enough, we can c-bet this flop and get a call. If not, then we're waiting for a villain to catch.
+1. If I was first to act, I would check. If I've got position, I'm gonna bet, like I do every time. They're either gonna have something and you're gonna get paid a lot, or they won't, and you won't. I guess you can just sit around waiting for one of them to take a little stab, but that's weak poker.
If the people in the hand aren't going to bluff at the pot I think you need to bet it.
I agree with this. It depends on your read.Also 1/2 NL is a complete donkathon live, which I assume this is since you made it 10x and got two callers :club:. Two people called your 10x opening raise preflop - someone will call a bet, or raise a small bet on the flop, or you can check and someone will blow up if they pair the turn. I think I'd bet this 100% of the time though. The prospect of some moron having AJ and blowing up on you thinking they're making an all star call on you is too juicy to pass up. 1/2 live almost completely drains all strategy from the game. Just always bet whenever you have anything and watch morons pay you off with nonsense.