Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Carlye needs to go. Old school retarded coaches that pay no attention to analytics should be a dying breed and we should start with him. He is benching Jake ****ing Gardiner. If you take a deeper look into Leafs D stats, Gardiner is the CLEAR best defenseman on the team and it's not close. Good news is the Leafs now have seven serviceable defenseman and injuries happen so that bodes well.

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Carlye needs to go. Old school retarded coaches that pay no attention to analytics should be a dying breed and we should start with him. He is benching Jake ****ing Gardiner. If you take a deeper look into Leafs D stats, Gardiner is the CLEAR best defenseman on the team and it's not close. Good news is the Leafs now have seven serviceable defenseman and injuries happen so that bodes well.

I dont typically disagree but Gardiner hadnt played well the first two games, and Percy had..Plus you arent gonna scratch Franson, who is great on the PP and I think better than Gardiner..And look what happened , they won..Easily.

I think you play your best 6 guys and bench the ones that arent performing..Even if those guys are named Gardiner, Phaneuf or whomever..

I dont typically disagree but Gardiner hadnt played well the first two games, and Percy had..Plus you arent gonna scratch Franson, who is great on the PP and I think better than Gardiner..And look what happened , they won..Easily.

I think you play your best 6 guys and bench the ones that arent performing..Even if those guys are named Gardiner, Phaneuf or whomever..

Polak or Robidas make more sense to be sitting don't they ?

I think the way Carlyle sees it is Gardiner, Reilly, Franson and even Percy are offensive minded and he chooses to play Polak and Robidas over those TYPE of dman..

Phaneuf isnt sitting regardless, plus Dion has played ok the first 3 games..

Its a good problem/luxury to have and its almost a certainty that one or two of those guys will have injuries...Plus I think he is understanding that players, especially dman that arent named Suter, tend to break down near the end of the year...Its good to rotate these guys in and out of the lineup..You will see that with Polak and Robidas as well.

Of course they do. Serge, Gardiner may not have "played well" (your opinion), but he still gives the team the best chance to win on any given night. regardless of what happened in the 1 game sample size that he was out.

Like Daniel said, Gardiner is probably our best defenseman. Having him in the press box is just ludicrous. He's a far superior defenseman to Polak, Robidas, Percy, and Franson (in that order)

Serge, stop trying to justify Carlyle's inane decision making process with rational thought.

He's a dumbass, and a dinosaur. Gardiner is an easy target because he is young, and since he has the puck ALL THE f"ING TIME, he makes mistakes occasionally that people notice (kinda like a certain polarizing D man on the montreal canadiens. I shudder to think of how many times P.K. would have been healthy scratched in the last 3 years if Carlyle was his coach). He doesn't have the balls to bench a vet like Polak or Robidas. It's got nothing to do with rational thought.

Of course they do. Serge, Gardiner may not have "played well" (your opinion), but he still gives the team the best chance to win on any given night. regardless of what happened in the 1 game sample size that he was out.

Like Daniel said, Gardiner is probably our best defenseman. Having him in the press box is just ludicrous. He's a far superior defenseman to Polak, Robidas, Percy, and Franson (in that order)

My opinion doesnt matter, but Carlyle was quoted this morning as to say Gardiner has to be better...Its the same reason Reimer is in net tonight..

Again I m not particularly disagreeing, but telling you the thought process...

You guys seem to be like whatever the result is , you will disagree with Carlyle..If after 20 games the Leafs are first place in the division, you will still ask for Carlyle to be fired..

But Mike Babcock can lose 33 games in a row and he is the greatest coach since Scotty Bowman man child.

Serge, stop trying to justify Carlyle's inane decision making process with rational thought.

He's a dumbass, and a dinosaur. Gardiner is an easy target because he is young, and since he has the puck ALL THE f"ING TIME, he makes mistakes occasionally that people notice (kinda like a certain polarizing D man on the montreal canadiens. I shudder to think of how many times P.K. would have been healthy scratched in the last 3 years if Carlyle was his coach). He doesn't have the balls to bench a vet like Polak or Robidas. It's got nothing to do with rational thought.

We are on the same team my friend..I understand and your view and I am not defending him per se...But trying to explain his rationale..Even though most dont agree with it.

Carlyle is still a coach that wields ice time like a weapon. Just look at the amount of ice time hie 'fave' players on the 3rd and 4 th line get. I think thats okay except when you do it based on anything other than what gives you the best chance to win, sit gardiner for one game to get him to smarten up? Ok. Anything more than that is idiocy.

And, fwiw Morgan reilly is the best defenseman on the leafs, imo

He's not retarded, he is just an old-school coach. Probably a bad coach, by our standards. I think "retarded" is an unnecessary and unwelcome word choice. I know you take pride in not being "PC" for some reason, but you could try harder to not insult huge groups of people carelessly.

I wonder what AHL team Gardiner is on. Lol

Shots were 40-24. That's standard. But for us!!!!!

Cmon Dubey Clarkson is looking good.

Still no 4 th line though.

Gardiner, statistically has been the Leafs best defenseman for a while in terms of analytics. They don't mean everything, but it's enough of a clue to let Carlyle, if he would care, know that Gardiner isn't the guy that needs to be on the bench right now. I haven't heard a single hockey mind think this makes sense. Feels like it is either personal, or Carlyle is just really that off base. "less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age." "very foolish or stupid." Or, you could replace that with the one word... RETARDED!!!!!! Yes I looked up the definition of the word and it is perfectly applicable to my description of the Carlyle decision. Retarded, retarded, re freaking tarded!!!

If you find the word offensive, so be it, but I will use it when I feel it's appropriate.

Especially because that word happens to affect so many people on this board personally, and it has been discussed here before.

thanks Danny, thanks Zach. Agree with both of you wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

Gardiner, statistically has been the Leafs best defenseman for a while in terms of analytics. They don't mean everything, but it's enough of a clue to let Carlyle, if he would care, know that Gardiner isn't the guy that needs to be on the bench right now. I haven't heard a single hockey mind think this makes sense. Feels like it is either personal, or Carlyle is just really that off base. "less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age." "very foolish or stupid." Or, you could replace that with the one word... RETARDED!!!!!! Yes I looked up the definition of the word and it is perfectly applicable to my description of the Carlyle decision. Retarded, retarded, re freaking tarded!!!

If you find the word offensive, so be it, but I will use it when I feel it's appropriate.

I know you wont care, but I find the word offensive too. Quite hurtful to some of us actually, I truly hope for your sake you will never understand why.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/a-word-gone-wrong.html?_r=0

Especially because that word happens to affect so many people on this board personally, and it has been discussed here before.

I agree. First hand experience with the word has taught me how much damage the perceived meaning can wield.

I was snow tubing with my cousin, who has Down Syndrome. He was pushed aside on one of the lines to go down the mountain and the word was used. We lost him a couple of years ago to ammonia. He was the happiest guy on earth. He tried so hard and grew so much despite his limitations

• Like 3

I agree. First hand experience with the word has taught me how much damage the perceived meaning can wield.

I was snow tubing with my cousin, who has Down Syndrome. He was pushed aside on one of the lines to go down the mountain and the word was used. We lost him a couple of years ago to ammonia. He was the happiest guy on earth. He tried so hard and grew so much despite his limitations

That's awful. I hate hearing stuff like this.

Society is getting better, but man, we have a long way to go still.

And, fwiw Morgan reilly is the best defenseman on the leafs, imo

Future captain maybe? I don't know how vocal he is, but I'd say he's their best. He seems to always make the smart decisions.

I know you wont care, but I find the word offensive too. Quite hurtful to some of us actually, I truly hope for your sake you will never understand why.

http://www.nytimes.c...wrong.html?_r=0

Nothing anyone calls you, no word choice, no phrase, no judgement can cause any hurt or pain. Only you, the receiver can give those words that power. There isn't anything anyone can say to me, or you, that will cause that pain, it's only how you perceive it. Replacing a word like retard to dimwit, idiot, dummy, etc. is semantics in the sense that the perceived insult is in the eye of the beholder.

No one in the world has the power to cause you emotional pain with words. No one. Only you give it that power based on your perception of what that means. For example, if I called you a blue elephant, would that pierce at all? Likely not. However, if I said something closer to home, something that maybe you believe to be partly true, you may experience pain, but it's not the words that caused it, it's your perception that they may be true.