Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

It'd sure be nice to have what the Isles and the Panthers have from their years of having the SAME LEVEL OF SUCCESS AS THE MAPLE LEAFS, though. At least they have something to show for their one playoff appearance each.

They traded future assets and now have one of the top offensive players in the game during his prime.

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

That's fair, and I agree that they have some good pieces. Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri ... Bernier...

The Islanders have a better offensive player in his prime, Tavares, as well as a deep prospect pool getting ready to contribute.

The Panthers don't have that one player, yet, but they have a chance to have on in Barkov or Huberdeau, maybe. They also have a half dozen other forwards that project as top 6 forwards.

That's fair, and I agree that they have some good pieces. Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri ... Bernier...

The Islanders have a better offensive player in his prime, Tavares, as well as a deep prospect pool getting ready to contribute.

The Panthers don't have that one player, yet, but they have a chance to have on in Barkov or Huberdeau, maybe. They also have a half dozen other forwards that project as top 6 forwards.

Prospects mean nothing if you cant add to the core...The Oilers have been last for 456 years and counting, they have draftd first 678 times in the last 10 years and still suck.

The core means nothing if you can't add prospects to it.

What do you think puts a team like Chicago head and shoulders above a team like Pittsburgh?

It's young guys coming up and having an impact on their ELC deals.

If it wasn't for prospects the Wings would not have made the playoffs the last two years.

correct and also if they didnt have Zetterberg and Datysuk, they be lost in space..

You need both to win..

We didn't have hank and z for most if the season. Or 9 other starters. Good thing we had a top ten prospect roster to keep the dream alive. Can your prospects cover the loss of Kessel, Kadri and 7 other of your starters? Nope.

The point is, of course, that if the Wings had Z and Pavs all season long, AND were able to shore up their bottom six with guys like Tatar, Sheahan, maybe even Jurco, etc, plus graduating Nyqvist into that top 6, maybe they're challenging Pittsburgh for the division, rather than sneaking in and getting bounced in 5.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Howard Berger is reporting according to him a very credible rumour of a blockbuster:

To panthers:

Dion Phaneuf

Nazem Kadri

8th overall pick

To leafs

Ed jovanoski

1st overall

Leafs would then take Aaron Ekblad as a stud dman to snchor the D for many years.

It's still a rumour. Take it fwiw.

Leafs would shed salary , jovanoski might retire.

I don't like the trade with Kadri involved.

i mean, i think it's pretty obvious FLA doesn't move it unless they win. It's really easy game theory....

True. I am actually not a fan of Ekblad. I don't see what the hype is about this kid. I would prefer Sam Bennett instead.

Howard Berger is reporting according to him a very credible rumour of a blockbuster:

To panthers:

Dion Phaneuf

Nazem Kadri

8th overall pick

To leafs

Ed jovanoski

1st overall

Leafs would then take Aaron Ekblad as a stud dman to snchor the D for many years.

It's still a rumour. Take it fwiw.

Leafs would shed salary , jovanoski might retire.

I don't like the trade with Kadri involved.

Way too much to move up there unless you think you're getting an absolute #1 stud, and that you can't get something like that at #8. Too many good years left for Phaneuf and Kadri. Having said that, you'd only really need to change/add one piece for me to get on board with it.

i mean, i think it's pretty obvious FLA doesn't move it unless they win. It's really easy game theory....

I don't understand what you mean here.

Hate the trade as it is structured. Take out our #8 pick and it gets closer, but I still don't like it.

I guess the assumption with this trade is that Dion has negative value, and I'm not sure I agree with that.

Hate the trade as it is structured. Take out our #8 pick and it gets closer, but I still don't like it.

I guess the assumption with this trade is that Dion has negative value, and I'm not sure I agree with that.

Not sure about that, but if you believe he is replaceable for huge salary savings, you could make the argument that he doesn't have much value. I think proponents of the trade would be more likely to differ with you on the value of Kadri, as some seem to still see him as a potential star, and some see him as very replaceable. My personal opinion is that even if he isn't a star, 2nd-3rd line players with several years of team control are still very valuable, especially if you don't have a deep farm (or a coach who considers being able to use Frazer McLaren to replace Colton Orr as 'depth').

We're definitely a 'piece' away - I'd really consider the deal if any of the following:

- instead of #8, we were giving up a pick in the 20s

- we got a future first in the deal

- we gave up any D-man other than Phaneuf

- we gave up a prospect instead of Kadri

- we got a useful forward in return

The deal also works better from a fantasy angle than in real life. In real life, those cap savings from Phaneuf are hard to deploy when you don't have any star players coming up needing long-term deals and unrestricted free agents are always overpaid.

• 2 weeks later...

Leafs considering Gardiner to move up to forward?

Really...Is this a good idea??

pretty much every rumour I've heard about the Leafs recently is a head scratcher. I'm just going to assume they are all false until I have hard evidence to the contrary.

pretty much every rumour I've heard about the Leafs recently is a head scratcher. I'm just going to assume they are all false until I have hard evidence to the contrary.

agree...Here is another weird one...This one from Kypreos:

Leafs have inquired on Berglund for Kadri..

He is an RFA..Older than Kadri..Kadri I think has way more upside

Score update just received on my phone:

Leafs have received trade offers for Cody Franson, prefer to resign him