• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Been a while:

Couple of things....

1. Espn is a douche bag network with their stupid lists...A team that is bankrupt and has no fan base that is owned by the NHL is ranked ahead of one of the most loyally followed, biggest fanbase, rich in tradition team like the Leafs. Ya ok morons. So we have had a few losing years in a row big ****ing deal...At least we support our team, make more money than most other teams and we have a proud Leafs nation. Go **** yourselves list makers.

2. Mr Francois Allaire...Go back where you came from..Piece of shit moron...You and your condescending, snobby attituded...You are the reason the Leafs goalies didnt progress...Ray Ferraro was on the radio today saying all the Leaf goalies in the organization were being told to play a style that they arent comfortable with..Go back home dumb man.

The summer has been a time for golf and travelling to different parts around here...All the naysayers say what a shitty situation the Leafs are in, bla bla bla.

They dont realize the Leafs actually had a pretty good year last year, if you forget about the last 25-30 games. They had a few major injuries, ran into issues that plague young inexperienced teams(youngest team in the NHL) .

Ok..So there..Rant over..

miss me?

• 3 months later...

Takes something this big to bring me to post I guess.

WOW..This makes no sense what so ever. It cant be based on performance, but an internal issue. Maybe on the Luongo rumours, but it makes no sense. I dont see how Nonis can stay as he was Burke's guy.

I am utterly shocked at this news..

I really liked Burke and I think he made some great moves to help the team. Forget the kessel trade but some of the moves like getting Gardiner, Lupul and dumping immovable contracts, even his most hated critics agree it was great.

yes I supported him as I always do, however what was getting old for me, was his imposed rules that he followed. Like his rules about contracts(which inevitably might be the reason he has been fired) or his self imposed trade deadline, ahead of the real one. Self imposed no trade time during xmas. Lot of these were handcuffs. When UFA hit the free agent market , we were never in the discussion as we had our GM with his own rules ..

Having said that Nonis was Burke's right hand man. Some say Nonis ran the team and made all the moves. So thats the troubling part. If you dont agree with the mans moves fire everyone

I still think this is all about Luongo. Burke dug in and said he wouldn't give up the assets Gillis wants, MLSE canned him in favor of someone who would.

Giant mistake.

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

New Leafs owners said to dislike Burke from get-go

"Executives of BCE and Rogers Communications, who together control 75 per cent of the sports franchise, found Mr. Burke defensive and brusque – difficult to work with, the source said.

It was in that meeting that the early seeds of a personality clash were sown, sources close to Rogers and Bell said. Soon after, BCE chief executive officer George Cope, unsure that Mr. Burke was the right man to lead the team forward, began discussing a search for a new GM with his colleagues at Rogers. The decision would culminate in Wednesday’s sudden firing of Mr. Burke, who will be replaced by his long-time protegé, Dave Nonis."

“New ownership didn’t like him,” the source said. “Fundamentally, they wanted a GM who would listen – for better or worse. They said they want a corporate guy and fired a Harvard lawyer.”

@blogesalming: Oh good! Rogers and Bell are looking long term for a GM who's "corporate". I know that's the 1st thing I'd look for in a GM

@mirtle: Was told that even under Burke, Leafs and Canucks had gotten close on Luongo deal. He had thought asking price was too high and was waiting.

@mirtle: More interesting: Heard Corey Perry would have seriously considered joining his former GM when he becomes a UFA. Two have good relationship.

@DarrenDregger: Luongo rumor to Toronto won't fade. Burke wanted him bad and Nonis will push as well, but Canucks insist other teams are in play.

Sounds like the ink on the CBA isn't even dry yet and the Leafs are in mid-season form :icon_eek: . Whatever you think of Burke's legacy this firing certainly has wtf timing.

The Leafs are doomed to another 5 years of failure.

I can't but feel that Toronto is somewhat handicapping themselves like Montreal (francophone vs corporate yes-man). And strangely, as full of hot air Burke was, his truculence is a boon for tv; (ie: Rogers and Bell).

I think Jiri Tlusty agrees with Serge.....

http://www.canescountry.com/2013/1/11/3868124/jiri-tlusty-andreas-nodl-latest-to-join-teammates-in-raleigh

RE: Burke

"I don’t really follow Toronto anymore. I got over that," Tlusty said. "I was asked in an interview if I wanted to be back in Toronto now that Burke isn’t there anymore, and I was like, ‘You know what, actually I don’t want to be there anymore.’ I really like it over here."

Tlusty was quick to stamp out the concept that every NHLer wants to be in Toronto.

"[Those] who haven’t been there want to play there," Tlusty said. "Whoever goes there, then after that it’s the opposite.

"The fans are amazing there. If you’re doing well, they support you, they are on your side and are always there. But the media there, they just get under your skin and it’s not sometimes fun. Most of the time it should be fun, and you usually don’t have much fun over there if you’re not winning as many games as you should."

When did Tim Connolly become bad enough to waive on an awful team?

Does anything Toronto is doing lately make any sense at all?

I mean, he's not great and his health is always suspect, but 36 points in 70 games is more than I thought he'd put up in either category (points or games played) when they signed him to that ridic deal. Waiving him now and then trading Lombardi in the same breath...I don't get it.

I like my side of my $100 bet with Serge that Toronto doesn't win a playoff series this year, that's all I know.

I like my side of my $100 bet with Serge that Toronto doesn't win a playoff series this year, that's all I know.

Did you give him odds? B/c it's doubtful they will even make the playoffs (barring a Luongo trade I guess)

Did you give him odds? B/c it's doubtful they will even make the playoffs (barring a Luongo trade I guess)

The bet was made three years ago, terms were that the Leafs wouldn't win a playoff series in any of the next three seasons. This is the third.

From my props thread:

Carryover (long-term) Action With Serge:

The Ottawa Senators will make the Eastern Conference Finals *or* win the Northeast Division before the Toronto Maple Leafs will do either one ($100)

The Toronto Maple Leafs will not win a playoff series in 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 ($100)

I think they waived Connolly for a number of reasons. I was just about to list them when I realized I don't care enough to make the effort.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/the-curious-case-of-tim-connolly-and-the-leafs/article7439934/

The curious case of Tim Connolly and the Leafs

"Here was his answer when asked (maybe for the second or third time) about needing to “rebound” this season.

“Even strength, I think I had my second highest career points last year,” Connolly said. “I’d like to improve my play on the power play and maybe play a bigger role. Penalty killing, I think, my individual percentage was 89 per cent I read somewhere. I was able to lead the forwards in blocked shots.”"

Given that this last year of his deal it seems like a weird move... there's no cap relief sending him to the minors, they won't be buying him out (otherwise there would be a cap hit next year), depth in a short season would be good, etc...

Lupul re-signed.

5 years.

$5.25M AAV.

What do you guys think? Kicks in next season, so goes through 2017/18, in which he'll be 34 years old. He's 29 now, so he basically should have peaked by now (generally earlier, for most guys). 67 points last year was a career high, and his career high for goals is 28, from 05/06, his second year in the league.

I want to say it feels a little high, and the term is interesting for a guy who was had some major injury problems. I feel like with that term, they should have been able to get him a tad lower, basically. Maybe 4.5 or something.

James Neal makes less money.