• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Penalty shots are part of the game of Hockey. Going to a shootout is a natural way to determine a winner. Remember when games used to finish tie, it was so unsatisfying. Soccer also use a shootout but they use 5 shooters. I would rather see no points given to a team that looses in the 5 minute OT. getting scored on 4vs4 should be a loss; not a tie.

I would rather see no points given to a team that looses in the 5 minute OT. getting scored on 4vs4 should be a loss; not a tie.
The reason a point was given to a team for making it to OT was before it was changed, teams would just sit back and be sure not to lose to get that point for a tie. This made for some REAL boring OTs. The automatic point for making it to OT makes team play aggressive for the 2nd point for winning.
Penalty shots are part of the game of Hockey. Going to a shootout is a natural way to determine a winner. Remember when games used to finish tie, it was so unsatisfying. Soccer also use a shootout but they use 5 shooters. I would rather see no points given to a team that looses in the 5 minute OT. getting scored on 4vs4 should be a loss; not a tie.
I would much rather watch a tie than a shootout. What's wrong with a tie? No one wins or loses...big deal, that's life sometimes. An arbitrary winner? That is unsatisfying to me.
I would much rather watch a tie than a shootout. What's wrong with a tie? No one wins or loses...big deal, that's life sometimes. An arbitrary winner? That is unsatisfying to me.
I agree..I saw a figure that 30% of MLS games end in a tie...A tie is a good thing..You didnt lose, you tied..It just makes winning that much more important...Winning in a shootout is bs , its not real...Even the OT isnt that cool to get an extra point in..Just another Bettman stupidity

This song is growing on me..It brings me goose bumps everytime i listen to it..At the game they have the long version..It shows you why being a fan of the Leafs is amazing..The history, the pride is what brings us together..We are Canada's team

I like the shootout. Do I think it is the best way to decide a regular season game? Deabatable for sure, but I do find them entertaining to watch and this point that is all I really care about. If I played in the NHL or owned a team or coached, maybe I would look at it differently. But I am not, I just like watching hockey and watching a shootout is fun once in awhile. Especially when you team wins them once in awhile. :club:

I like the shootout. Do I think it is the best way to decide a regular season game? Deabatable for sure, but I do find them entertaining to watch and this point that is all I really care about. If I played in the NHL or owned a team or coached, maybe I would look at it differently. But I am not, I just like watching hockey and watching a shootout is fun once in awhile. Especially when you team wins them once in awhile. :club:
I like this reply.Every game my girlfriend goes to, she says "I hope we get to see a shootout!"My guess is it's helping bring in casual fans, and that's pretty important.
I like this reply.Every game my girlfriend goes to, she says "I hope we get to see a shootout!"My guess is it's helping bring in casual fans, and that's pretty important.
This is the problem i have...Who cares about the casual fan?? We have been trying to please the southern fans in Phoenix,Columbus,Florida etc..They are all losing money and they cant give tickets away...Why are we pleasing them and not the REAL fans in Toronto, Montreal , Boston..etc

I don't care about the casual fan, but people who run the teams and like money do.I care about me, and I like the shootout. The only reason you don't like it is because your team blows at it. I'm surprised you even like hockey still.

I don't care about the casual fan, but people who run the teams and like money do.I care about me, and I like the shootout. The only reason you don't like it is because your team blows at it. I'm surprised you even like hockey still.
Not true. Though my team does blow at the shootout, it has nothing to do with my like/dislike for it. Shootouts are fun, sure. I enjoy watching shootouts. But it is an unfair and inappropriate way to decide a hockey game. I'm still flabbergasted that this idea even came under discussion, never mind was put in place.What if the NFL started deciding tie games by having a one-on-one faceoff? Or the NBA did the same? It's a joke, and I think it puts NHL hockey below the level of the NBA, NFL and MLB of major sporting leagues, and more on par with the ABA and Arena Football and everyone else that resorts to silly crap just to draw in casual fans.
Not true. Though my team does blow at the shootout, it has nothing to do with my like/dislike for it. Shootouts are fun, sure. I enjoy watching shootouts. But it is an unfair and inappropriate way to decide a hockey game. I'm still flabbergasted that this idea even came under discussion, never mind was put in place.What if the NFL started deciding tie games by having a one-on-one faceoff? Or the NBA did the same? It's a joke, and I think it puts NHL hockey below the level of the NBA, NFL and MLB of major sporting leagues, and more on par with the ABA and Arena Football and everyone else that resorts to silly crap just to draw in casual fans.
Obviously I wasn't talking to you.How exactly is it unfair?All teams are on a level playing field here.
exactly ..I still cant believe they are arguing this point...The shootout is a gimmick period.
There's plenty of scoring for NFL and NBA games, so their version of OT usually produces a winner fairly soon. I won't speak for Canada, but I think most American sports fans hate the idea of a tie. All too often, both teams would play way too cautious in OT and try to preserve a point, leaving a lot of fans feeling unfulfilled after the game. People want to see a winner and a loser.This way, a winner is determined, both teams have a point in the bank so they can go all-out for a 2nd point, and a game is wrapped up soon enough to please the television execs worried about their scheduled programming.
NFL OT is ridiculous imo. It's literally a coinflip. That is retarded and serves no purpose to find a true winner. The only way to find a true winner (because most people want a winner and loser, you are in the minority if you relish ties) is to run games like the playoffs, play till there is a clear winner. While I would prefer that over ever single other option out there, because imo there is nothing better than the 3rd or 4th OT session, it's just not feasible to put players through that during a 82 game season.The NFL should follow the NCAA OT where there is a coinflip for who gets the ball first. They get it at the 25 and have 4 downs to score or get a first down. They either come away with 0, 3, 6 or 7 points. Then the other team gets a shot at it. It keeps going until there is a clear winner. In reality it is similar to a shootout. Both offenses get a shot against a defense to determine a clear winner, not a tie.
The NFL should follow the NCAA OT where there is a coinflip for who gets the ball first. They get it at the 25 and have 4 downs to score or get a first down. They either come away with 0, 3, 6 or 7 points. Then the other team gets a shot at it. It keeps going until there is a clear winner. In reality it is similar to a shootout. Both offenses get a shot against a defense to determine a clear winner, not a tie.
Couldn't agree more.
There's plenty of scoring for NFL and NBA games, so their version of OT usually produces a winner fairly soon. I won't speak for Canada, but I think most American sports fans hate the idea of a tie. All too often, both teams would play way too cautious in OT and try to preserve a point, leaving a lot of fans feeling unfulfilled after the game. People want to see a winner and a loser.
I prefer the NFL over the CFL except for two rules (1) fair catch vs 5-yard bubble on kick returns (2) overtime rules.In the CFL you take turns (starting pretty far up the field) trying to score. Catch is, if you just go for a field goal the other team could come back for a TD and win. It's more like a NHL shoot-out once you get past the first three shooters. And they only get 2 shots at it each.

can we get this discussion out of the Leafs thread please..We have important things to discuss..Like our walloping of Carolina..6-1

Ok, let's let teams trade powerplays until someone scores.
I like this idea. It could even be 4 on 3 PPs. Structure it like the CFl/NCAA where each team gets an equal # of chances
I like this idea. It could even be 4 on 3 PPs. Structure it like the CFl/NCAA where each team gets an equal # of chances
I thought the idea was to reconstruct game conditions. 4-3's only occur in OT for the most part (and as a side note, they are hugely successful.. I cant remember the percentage but it was something ridiculous like 90% +)