Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

We are very excited about this trade..I am jumping up and down literally..We got a top dman for essentially a first rounder and couple of prospects..

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Mckenzie reporting Matthews deal is close and likely $11.5 times 5 year deal.

Not sure how I feel about not locking him up max term. I know it brings the AAV lower to go less years but we are in danger of losing him in 5 years when he is in the prime of his career.

This may set the new bar for RFAs

Matthews will be gone in 5 years plus the Leafs window is 5 years

Not sure we can predict that..Why do we feel its only 5 years..After 5 Tavares should be declining yes, I like to think its longer..But you maybe right.

Not sure we can predict that..Why do we feel its only 5 years..After 5 Tavares should be declining yes, I like to think its longer..But you maybe right.

Hockey business world we live in now

I'm unclear on how much they would have had to pay him for the 8 year deal.

Hes at 11.5

McDavid is at 12.5

What was he asking for for those 3 years? 14?!?!!

Yes in that range..I think they are basing it on the percentage of cap..if equated to Mcdavid would be around $14 with the new cap..I read something to that effect

I'm unclear on how much they would have had to pay him for the 8 year deal.

Hes at 11.5

McDavid is at 12.5

What was he asking for for those 3 years? 14?!?!!

He’s at 14% of next seasons cap. McDavid signed for 17% of cap in the first year of his deal, which would work out to about $14 million per year. I assume it would have taken at least 13 million to get it done for 8 years.

They sure are paying a lot of money to players for their RFA years, for players who have never won anything.

Still a great collection of assets+talent, but wow, no bargains at all.

There seems to be a lot of comparison to the Blackhawks today, but I would note most of those big deals came after Cup wins, and took up some of the UFA years.

At this point, I dont get why this is called a win, since Matthews was always going to be a Leaf until he turned 26 anyway. Its nice they got it done without issue, but I dont get the celebration?

I might also be bitter because:

According to a tax treaty between Canada and the United States, as a U.S. resident Matthews’ massive signing bonuses ($54.5M) would be taxed at 15 per cent in Canada. His salary ($3.65M) would be taxed at 53.53 per cent.

I might also be bitter because:

According to a tax treaty between Canada and the United States, as a U.S. resident Matthews’ massive signing bonuses ($54.5M) would be taxed at 15 per cent in Canada. His salary ($3.65M) would be taxed at 53.53 per cent.

Hmmmn. That’s correct. Just like the time I had to wire $150k to Clinton for an appearance he made in Toronto. I had to request his social insurance number since I was withholding 15%

I did some checking. Tavares' contract is similar, next to no base salary, heavy bonuses.

Marleau is more of a 75-25 split

Muzzin is 100% salary...0% bonus

Zaitsev gets no bonus in 20-21, all salary. lockout=no money?

Have the Canadian teams been doing this for US atheletes for years, and I never knew? Did you guys know this kind of tax circumvention was going on?

edit...tax avoidance.

They sure are paying a lot of money to players for their RFA years, for players who have never won anything.

Still a great collection of assets+talent, but wow, no bargains at all.

There seems to be a lot of comparison to the Blackhawks today, but I would note most of those big deals came after Cup wins, and took up some of the UFA years.

At this point, I dont get why this is called a win, since Matthews was always going to be a Leaf until he turned 26 anyway. Its nice they got it done without issue, but I dont get the celebration?

times have changed. There is a lot of talk that offer sheets will be real. The days of star players not getting paid for their RFA years are over.