Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

That was exactly the way I felt about the Sabres towards the end of the Golisano/Quinn era...I flat-out refused to do anything that would put another dime in their pockets while they laid back and wouldn't do anything to improve the team as a whole. Wouldn't buy tickets, wouldn't buy jerseys, wouldn't pay for parking, wouldn't so much as buy a drink in the arena if I got the tickets for free. It gets better. The change has to come from the top down and TBH, I don't think being owned by a corporation is the best thing for any sports franchise. It will always be about making money and never about love and heart when it's corporate ownership in command of the ship.

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

That was exactly the way I felt about the Sabres towards the end of the Golisano/Quinn era...I flat-out refused to do anything that would put another dime in their pockets while they laid back and wouldn't do anything to improve the team as a whole. Wouldn't buy tickets, wouldn't buy jerseys, wouldn't pay for parking, wouldn't so much as buy a drink in the arena if I got the tickets for free. It gets better. The change has to come from the top down and TBH, I don't think being owned by a corporation is the best thing for any sports franchise. It will always be about making money and never about love and heart when it's corporate ownership in command of the ship.
Your right.Just to be clear though, I meant to make more of a statement about the 1game, and crappy player effort of said game, then about the Leafs organization. Im through trying to figure out why the organization is the joke that they are.Last year, when I also went to the Carolina game, it was the Hurricanes who didnt show up. Im sick and tired of the term "we just didnt have it tonight" as an excuse for not trying hard. And when your a laughingstock as much as the Leafs are these days, you would think the players would have more pride then that.The hardest workers last night? Jay Rosehill, and Dave Steckel. At one point in the 3rd, all I did was watch Phil Kessel. He has already mailed it in, he was barely moving his feet.I also had a good chuckle when I saw at one point Grabovski had been put on a line with Rosehill and Brown.

In my 20+ years of being a leaf Fan, there has never been a time when I have cared less about watching Leafs games. February might have been the most demoralizing month of hockey I have ever experienced. I'm actually actively rooting for the Leafs to lose, so they'll get a lottery pick, which is pathetic in it's own right. I used to make fun of people like me. It's just really hard to be excited about the on-ice product right now. I just want this year to be over so we can start fresh next season.

Dear Maple Leafs: I don't envy your fanbase and their pain, but please continue sucking through the weekend because we need the four points. Love, Adam

Unreal that he was supposely on the same level as Peyton Manning. Also how he blew his money to get to this level.
Ya, but imagine how much fun he had doing it. What a waste.
sigh
Can I try to cheer you up?Leafs sneak into the lottery.Next Tuesday, you watch them win the lottery.Next year, you have first pick in the AHL draft, and your Leafs have first overall in the NHL draft. Hello Mr.Yakupov.See, all worth it now, right?This would actually make me very happy, as Id love to see such a talent come to Toronto. (since Carolina blew their shot)
Can I try to cheer you up?Leafs sneak into the lottery.Next Tuesday, you watch them win the lottery.Next year, you have first pick in the AHL draft, and your Leafs have first overall in the NHL draft. Hello Mr.Yakupov.See, all worth it now, right?This would actually make me very happy, as Id love to see such a talent come to Toronto. (since Carolina blew their shot)
Wishful thinking..but would be nice.I believe after all the crap we have been through starting in 1993 its time Bettman cheated for us..

I thought I write my post season comments on the season that has passed: While most casual hockey fans and Leaf haters will point to the fact that this was another year the Leafs failed to make the playoffs it was far from it. In recent years the Leafs would start out really bad digging themselves into a hole , and then make a huge push just to fall short of the Playoffs. This year was way different. 2011-2012 started out wonderfully for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It finally looked liked Brian Burke's team was coming together. The young guys were all playing great, we were getting decent goaltending, we had one of the most powerful duos in hockey. For 53 games the Leafs looked liked they were ready to take the next step. At one point they were even challenging to finish in the top half of the playoff seeds. This didnt seem like a fluke, it wasnt a few games. It was a great chunk of the season. People were finally praising Burke and some people (albeit a few) were even giving praise to the coach Ron Wilson. Then something happened. Something that we havent seen in these parts in recent years. A late season dumping. Not just a slump , but sort of like when the faucet is turned off in your bathroom. The team just stopped. Literally, they just stopped playing like NHLers. The season got away with a disastrous ending.No scoring, no defence and brutal goaltending. It was the biggest example of a 360 that we have seen in the NHL possibly ever.Were the first 53 games a fluke and the last 29 games is the true Leafs? Its a difficult question to answer. The easy answer is the team doesnt have the experience nor the talent to compete yet in the NHL when the pressure and the playoffs are around the corner. Its like one morning they woke up and said, WOW we are going to make the playoffs, this is really scary, we arent ready for this.Do I think the Leafs are a very good team ready to compete in the playoffs, not yet. Do I think they are back at square one when Brian Burke took over, like some people will have you believe? Hell no.There is something lacking , veteran presence, killer instinct that the good teams have. Sure we dont have the talent of the Pittsburghs,Phillys,Rangers of the East..But these teams does not need to be blown up. The high draft pick will help , maybe getting a guy like Galchenyuk who seems to be a very good talent will be what we need. I think where Burke failed was that he didnt add 2 or 3 veterans. Veterans that can play. Its good to go young but you need a guy like a Selanne,Iginla on your team to compliment the young guns.I know a lot of people get joy out of another season of Leafs failure, but this one hurt way more than others. Especially after the promise and the great first half that we had.Good luck to those who have teams playing for the Cup..We will see you next year, hopefully with a better product on the ice.GO LEAFS GO

"Pittsburgh model my ass..." lol. Brian Burke is awesome... keep him 4ever!
I like Burke, but that was a piss poor argument. That team isnt just good because of the 1player, they drafted well with very high picks for years.But ya, I like his attitude, for the most part.