Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

i'm home sweet home now. It was 5 minute drunk bike ride home. I felt like puking the whole way because I had a14 inch sub before leaving. I woke up at noon and started drinking at 2, happy C day!

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

While I have been away, its like a fantasy being played out. Its a script that I dont think I could of written myself.Brian Burke has overnight built one of the toughest defences in the NHL, through shrewd and timely signings and a trade.Meanwhile his counter part in Montreal, for lack of a better term is on monkey tilt. Habs fans are sounding like Leaf fans of the past. Spending the money that he did on overpaid midgets has made Bob Gainey the laughing stock of the NHL. They let Kovalev(no biggie), Komisarek and now Koivu walk for nothing. He didnt negotiate with anyone during the season and could of traded his assets. They made the playoffs yes, but didnt even win a game.It really is mind boggling how much better the Leafs are right now(with a lot of work to do yet) and how much worse the Habs will be for years to come..Gomez,Gionta and Cammalleri : The $20 million midget line...Then to top it all off the inept Ottawa Senators whose main problem is that they have too many high end , high salaried in most part OLD forwards decide to sign another one for $10 mill over 2 years..LOL...The smile on my face hasnt gone for teh last two weeks.

I like what the Leafs have done with their blueline, but we both know that they need puck movers. I'm assuming Kaberle is gone for a top 6 forward, which is a good move, IMO, but after that, everyone is defense-first. Some guys are ok, like Beauchemin and Van Ryn, but they're really missing the PP QB and first-pass kind of guy right now.I know Burke is trying to model this team after the Anaheim team that eventually won a Cup, but they don't win that Cup without Neidermeyer and Pronger on the back end.Great start, though.

I like what the Leafs have done with their blueline, but we both know that they need puck movers. I'm assuming Kaberle is gone for a top 6 forward, which is a good move, IMO, but after that, everyone is defense-first. Some guys are ok, like Beauchemin and Van Ryn, but they're really missing the PP QB and first-pass kind of guy right now.I know Burke is trying to model this team after the Anaheim team that eventually won a Cup, but they don't win that Cup without Neidermeyer and Pronger on the back end.Great start, though.
I have vowed not to spew stupidity anymore and try and make some valid arguments.I think Ian White can still be that guy. I also dont mind Kaberle staying unless we get that young top 6 forward(Kessel) or an older established star player(Marleau)I also believe that Schenn's offensive upside is huge. He still has a long way to develop that part of his game, but a lot dmen dont until a few years into their careers.I have a theory and direction that Burke might go, that NO one has talked about. I think the defense and goaltending are pretty solid right now. Its obvious we need that one superstar to complement the young guys with upside upfront ie Grabovski,Kulemin,Mitchell,Stajan(still only 25). Also our prospects like Tlusty,Kadri,Didomenico,Bozak,Hanson amongs others.Why not go after a high priced established star in his prime like a Thornton, Lecavalier a player of that ilk. I be willing to give up even a (wait for it) a first round draft pick. Its obvious that we arent going to be able to pick up a superstar like Crosby,Malkin,Ovechkin..Even a Tavares,Hall through the draft. We also shouldnt be overspending on overpriced free agents like Montreal has done. So a trade is the only route.I think the Leafs defense while not Stanley Cup calibre is very close, especially when Schenn develops even more. The goaltending will be better with the acqusition of the Monster to push Toskala. And lets face it with the upgrade in defense Toskala's job will be so much better.Also we have (IMO) pretty solid second and third line established players in Blake,Pony,Stajan,Hagman to complement the upside of the young guys.With the addition of one big guy up front the Leafs will contend with the top teams in the East.The most important point that most casual Leaf observers dont get is, the Leafs had no problem scoring goals last year. They were in the top 10 in Goals for in the NHL. The problem was the defense which was LAST in the league. Even the biggest cynic will agree that the Leafs have done a major upgrade on the defensive and goaltending end so far. We all know defense makes contenders and offense is easier to acquire.GO LEAFS GOI LOVE YOU GUYS
I'm in support of this plan, welcome back.
thanks buddy...Any truth to the Kaberle to Buffalo rumours involving Drew Stafford?
thanks buddy...Any truth to the Kaberle to Buffalo rumours involving Drew Stafford?
If it's just an unsigned Stafford for Kaberle straight up, that would be great, but word is that there would have to be a first round pick going to Toronto and I don't see that happening for a two-year rental. Plus we would almost have to roll Tallinder into the deal somehow and I doubt the Leafs have any interest in him. Kaberle by himself won't really help us that much, so trading for him would have to be the start of a few trades to make it worthwhile. He's a great player but he won't help us bridge the gap into the playoffs by his lonesome. That's the reason why I can't see Buffalo giving up a first to get him, because Kaberle alone still has us flirting with a top-ten pick.

I know its only July but there is a certain buzz in the air..There are more and more people in the city that are excited about hockey again. Less of the cynical fans and a lot of people coming back to the bandwagon.I think if we can convince Arp to come back we would of succeded...Sept 16 Coke Zero FREE game vs Boston Bruins.cant wait till September.

There's a Pittsburgh/Toronto preseason game at the ACC this year (as well as one in Pittsburgh).Get us some tickets, Sergeo.
ill do it if you guys come..Bring Dan with you..Maybe Ill get 4 and Arp can join us.

according to Howard Berger the Leafs will opent he season October 1 at home to the Habs..NICEEE

Just for fun I did some comparisonsJason Blake, Mikhail Grabovski, Alex Ponikarovsky combined for 68 goals last yearScott Gomez, Mike Camalleri and Brian gionta combined for 75 goals last yearThe cap hit for the Leafs trio this year $ 8 millionThe cap hit for the Habs trio this year $18.3 millionThats including a career year last year by Camalleri.Ironically take Crosby and Malkin's total cap hit and you get $17.4 million and 68 goals and a Stanley Cup.Sorry Mr Gainey...Playing with some numbers.

Your math is bad.39+20+16 = 75.
thank you sir...You are correct..however I think my point is accurate...
I know its only July but there is a certain buzz in the air..There are more and more people in the city that are excited about hockey again. Less of the cynical fans and a lot of people coming back to the bandwagon.I think if we can convince Arp to come back we would of succeded...Sept 16 Coke Zero FREE game vs Boston Bruins.cant wait till September.
Wait, there's still a buzz? Wilson and Burke didn't do their, 'listen, we want to win, but the team is going to suck, okay?' bit this off-season? That was perhaps the best thing ever last year. It was so good the Blue Jays copied it. And if the Hedo signing doesn't work, an outgoing Brian Colangelo might use it, too.

The following Maple Leaf captains won the Stanley cup but never as a leaf obviously. Doug Gilmour 1994-1997 (1989 - Calgary)Rob Ramage 1989-1991 (1989 - Calgary, 1993 - Montreal)Also Dave Keon became the captain after playing for 4 stanley cup winning leafs teams 1967 and earlier.