Accepting Loss At The Poker Table.

but really the 1010 hand is swing, also most hands must be replayed many times So, how many times has this 1010 beat come up? that kind of stuff is the loss It is swing if you can change in the next ten 20 repetitions of said luck phenom, My adive is always look at every play as one of many many times this same thing happens of course you wouldn't be fool again and again. To put it on calling a beat or making an excuse is not gambling but church it is up there with not having your prayers answered. Poker has alot of those runins so again it is swing even the tilt problem is a vary suppressing tilt is no solution and banning excuses is more a loser then excuses, I have gone down many times more then the traditional bank and not lost; those ideas are mores not realities . How about that. It's very hard to lose at poker that is why losers as in 95% are estimates only there are quitters and I don't cares but not losers losers lose at every thing not just not caring about the right polity
huh?
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to accept a loss if you don't lose. Obviously, everyone evolves as a player. Whether they improve or not depends on that evolution. Poker is a LOOOOONG game for some of us.

Would it be true to say that 9 out of 10 high stakes players are losing players then?
That definitely isnt true online.The dynamics of high stakes games are a lot different from small stakes games.That isnt to say that there are more people winning at high stakes than losing. Because there are more people who have lost money than there are who have won. But at any given table, there will be more 'winners' (and likely professionals) than there are donaters.Usually the donaters will be losing enough to feed all of the good players, or at worst, a few of the lesser good players will be roughly breakeven.But day in, day out - the good players are basically thes ame group of people while new lousy ones pop up to replace the old ones that are fed up with losing. Which means over the course of the year, a LOT more people will be net losers than winners.
I own grammar, I type the way I do for a reason. bigger :club:
And what would be your reason for flouting traditional punctuation rules with regard to soft stops versus hard stops?
...you just played bad is ludacris.
sadhfhklasdg;khksadhgashdgkalsd;lasd
but really the 1010 hand is swing, also most hands must be replayed many times So, how many times has this 1010 beat come up? that kind of stuff is the loss It is swing if you can change in the next ten 20 repetitions of said luck phenom, My adive is always look at every play as one of many many times this same thing happens of course you wouldn't be fool again and again. To put it on calling a beat or making an excuse is not gambling but church it is up there with not having your prayers answered. Poker has alot of those runins so again it is swing even the tilt problem is a vary suppressing tilt is no solution and banning excuses is more a loser then excuses, I have gone down many times more then the traditional bank and not lost; those ideas are mores not realities . How about that. It's very hard to lose at poker that is why losers as in 95% are estimates only there are quitters and I don't cares but not losers losers lose at every thing not just not caring about the right polity
Is English your native language?-Substitute Grammar Police
Tournaments. Of course there is a ton of variance in tournaments. The discussion that I was talking about was directly related to cash games. However, David the Dragon Pham is now pretty pumped up, so we are playing in mix games together quite often. He said the other day that he believes that if someone really is a good player and understand tourneys, they should be able to win 1 out of 40.
lolwe're talking tournies with at least 200 entrants, right?Played against humans, some of which also undestand tournies
lolwe're talking tournies with at least 200 entrants, right?Played against humans, some of which also undestand tournies
I don't want to get into whether or not I believe it is reasoble to expect to win 1 out of 40 tourneys that you play. But I will say that "The Dragon" has a lot of confidence in his game. It is because of that and other reasons that he is so successful.
But I will say that "The Dragon" has a lot of confidence in his game. It is because of that and other reasons that he is so successful.
of course. I agree, and I don't even know him.But I guess I misunderstood the point of including his 1/40 point.
The ONLY thing I use to determine table choice is the hands per hour rate.I hate sitting at a table that everyone takes 10 seconds each time to fold a hand because they are 10 tableing idiots.
I hate to do it but.........+1001Just drives me crazy!
of course. I agree, and I don't even know him.But I guess I misunderstood the point of including his 1/40 point.
Ask me that question in the general strat thread (q&a w/steve7stud). It is a good topic to discuss which is unrelated to this one.
And what would be your reason for flouting traditional punctuation rules with regard to soft stops versus hard stops?
To more closely portray my conversational cadence.That and I was a fan of Pound as a kid.Anyway, good discussion in this thread, now that people were apparently incensed enough to flesh out some concepts.Still shouldn't be taken so seriously as to exclude Cobalt taking a moment to address grammar though.

Good threadOne of the most difficult things for me to come to terms with in poker is the fact that no matter how well I played a hand/tourney, I still lost. There are plenty of reasons. One is the Luck factor. There have been myriad times I've got my chips in with the best hand only to get outdrawn/bad beaten or whatever you want to call it. Now I just accept it...most of the time.What I am able to do ALL of the time, however, is to look back at how I played and, as Steve said, take responsibility for the situation as best I can. I rarely "blame" people for bad beating me and I've become pretty good at stopping my itching hands from castigating a player for calling me down with a worse hand and watch them spike thei two outer on the river. After all, isn't that what I wanted them to do?So, even though it feels like you're losing far too many hands you think you should be winning, the fact is that you are not in complete control of the situation and must rely on the turn of the cards to fulfil your destiny and it will not work out for you every time you think it should, regardless of how perfectly you played the hand/tourney.Accept this fact and you will be closer to having a winning attitude.

The problem comes to life when people start a downswing, which most would classify as "losing." They begin to suspect that they may "fail," and rather than become susceptible to the shame that comes with "failure," they decide to quit.They stop playing because they fear things that aren't even real. The people who come to realize that these negative labels aren't real, either concretely or intuitively, are the same people who do not give up, no matter how bad things seem to be running. Eventually, they become the "professionals" in whatever walk of life they choose.^One of the most helpful things i've ever read.

Related article that I found pretty refreshing:http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/14976
Obviously gigabet is a simplistic thinker, and such an article is below anyone with a brain. It's just the cult of gigabet that gets something like this published.(is s/w necessary here?)
Related article that I found pretty refreshing:http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/14976
Great find PM. My play is very much player dependent (i.e. "feel", what ever folks take that to mean). Never been much of an analytical/technical player, one weakness of mine for sure.Also, so many good points brought up in this thread. I agree that is is always a HUGE mistake to take for granted or forget even the most basic of poker concepts. None of us are above them.

Great thread .... once it got back on track, or off track, if you prefer. :club: No matter what your profession, if you are are not constantly trying to improve you will be passed by. This applies to everything in life, not just poker. Anyone ever heard of the expression: "Simple game to learn, impossible to master"? (or close variation)The fundamentals, when revisited, can be very enlightening. Many top PGA Players find that if they just go back to the basics (grip, set up, alignment) they "fix" whatever was ailing them.Many times, it's the simplest things that are the most difficult to fully comprehend. The reason, imo, is ignorance. Just because you think you understand, doesn't mean you actually do and the sooner you recognize this the more successfull you'll be. Great post Steve and others who are/have contributed good discussion and insights .... it's threads like these that are the reason I am a Member of this forum.

Yes, I know, you're playing higher than most people and your posts mean more in that sense.That's what I was pointing out.Doesn't change the fact that the lessons contained therein are rudimentary.Therein lies the losing arguments made in this thread.Good stuff though, "don't tilt", "examing your play win or lose", "variance is statistical", ect.
The original advice may be rudimentary, but valuable none the less and something that most people need to be reminded of.I like to equate this to “thinking outside of the box.” I believe that in most cases (in both poker and life) people “get outside of the box” not because it is needed, but because they are ignoring the basics and not blocking and tackling. What I got from Steve personally is make sure you are taking care of the basics. If you have a weak hand and get raised you should fold most of the time instead of trying to get fancy. By doing this you can control your losses. In most losing sessions I can point to a mistake, or series of mistakes that caused the loss. The losing sessions in my case are more often related to my own mistakes than they are to losing a big pot with a big hand. The good news for me is that I realize this and have been working hard to correct it over the last couple of months. Not coincidentally, the mistakes are costing me less than they used to. Funny how that happens!Steve,Thanks for starting this thread. The timing could not have been better for me personally.