Facing Mini-raise On The Turn

The villian just joined the table, no notes.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero ($47.50)CO ($51.30)Button ($21.75)SB ($148.15)BB ($67.70)UTG ($8.65)Preflop: Hero is MP with Qclub.gif, Kspade.gif. 1 fold, Hero raises to $3, CO calls $3, 3 folds.Flop: ($7.50) 3heart.gif, 8diamond.gif, Qdiamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets $5.5, CO calls $5.50.Turn: ($18.50) 8club.gif(2 players)Hero bets $14, CO raises to $28, Hero ???I believe I have $25 behind, half my stack.

I think this is read dependent. When I know nothing about a player I assume they are tight. If this is a tight player I would shove, I have a really hard time putting a tight player on an 8 (call preflop, call with middle pair?) Sometime this will be a set of 3s, but I don't think often enough to make shoving a bad move.. If it's an aggro player I'd be more likely to give them credit for 7-8 or 8-9 and fold.

Since there are no notes, this seems like a fold. His min-raise seems to extract money from you without scaring you away by shoving you in. Suited connectors in position could easily have played like this, not believing you on the flop and getting lucky on the turn.

I think this is read dependent. When I know nothing about a player I assume they are tight. If this is a tight player I would shove, I have a really hard time putting a tight player on an 8 (call preflop, call with middle pair?) Sometime this will be a set of 3s, but I don't think often enough to make shoving a bad move.. If it's an aggro player I'd be more likely to give them credit for 7-8 or 8-9 and fold.
i agree with everything except the bolded part...assuming a random online player is tight is like assuming that a random person in a ski mask in the parking lot of your local convenient store won't try to rob it...it's not reasonable imo, i basically assume the player to have a standard hand range and have a standard amount of aggression in his game...not tight or loose, just what i know is standard from playing that limit, whatever the limit actually isi fold the hand, i think you would be hard-pressed to find an instance where we aren't up against a set of 8s

Every post I see of yours you are short stacked. Actually this whole table except one guy is short stacked. I would use better table selection and keep the max amount on the table. Unlike other responses, based on stack sizes and getting better than 3:1 on my remaining chips I have to call here. You can't really do too much with this stack and not putting ur chips in is a mathematical mistake IMO.

If we're the villain with Q :club: J :D, what's our line?

If we're the villain with Q :club: J :D, what's our line?
He brings up a good point. Villain is in position and so can make this play with a wider range of hands on the turn. This is not always an 8..
Every post I see of yours you are short stacked. Actually this whole table except one guy is short stacked. I would use better table selection and keep the max amount on the table. Unlike other responses, based on stack sizes and getting better than 3:1 on my remaining chips I have to call here. You can't really do too much with this stack and not putting ur chips in is a mathematical mistake IMO.
The reason I'm buying in short is that I cashed out a significant portion of my bankroll to pay some unexpected bills. Because of that, I'm not properly rolled to put $100 on each table.As for the second part of your post, you'd really call in this spot? Seems to me like a push or fold situation. If I call I'm left with $11. If we're ahead on the turn then we want to get our money in. If we think we're behind then we'd save the $14 and fold.
I believe I have $25 behind, half my stack.
If you're going to play short stacked like this, you can't really fold top pair, especially at .5/1.Mark
If you're going to play short stacked like this, you can't really fold top pair, especially at .5/1.Mark
I agree here. But I do have a few issues with how the hand is played both preflop and on the flop. First off, your raising with KQo from UTG+1 into an unknown player in position. If your going to do that, i suggest checking the flop, if your not going to play top pair.Secondly, on the flop betting 5.5 into a pot of 7.5 is a bit too little, id bet out 7 here, and if he calls, check/call the turn almost regardless of what comes. The reasons for this.. if he is calling with a flushdraw or an 8X or somesuch, your increasing his mistake. Secondly, he'll be less inclined to call with a middle or underpair. Thirdly, checking the turn (if its harmless) allows you to induce a bet from QJ or a semibluff from a flushdraw. If he does check after you, you have the added advantage of keeping the pot small on the river, so when you check to him on a blank river, you may induce a bet from TT JJ or even QJ which is then callable./Martin
The reason I'm buying in short is that I cashed out a significant portion of my bankroll to pay some unexpected bills. Because of that, I'm not properly rolled to put $100 on each table.As for the second part of your post, you'd really call in this spot? Seems to me like a push or fold situation. If I call I'm left with $11. If we're ahead on the turn then we want to get our money in. If we think we're behind then we'd save the $14 and fold.
Been there done that with cashing out. I would suggest stepping down to where you are properly rolled. I have learned this the hard way. I realize its tough coming down in stakes. It's a recipe for disaster and the only thing that caused me to go broke in the last 3 years. Seriously if you have questions PM me, I've been at and around there stakes for quite a while as I am a chronic cash out man.No I would shove. I read the post after I wrote it and edited it but must not have hit complete. Yes push.
The villian just joined the table, no notes.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero ($47.50)CO ($51.30)Button ($21.75)SB ($148.15)BB ($67.70)UTG ($8.65)Preflop: Hero is MP with Qclub.gif, Kspade.gif. 1 fold, Hero raises to $3, CO calls $3, 3 folds.Flop: ($7.50) 3heart.gif, 8diamond.gif, Qdiamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets $5.5, CO calls $5.50.Turn: ($18.50) 8club.gif(2 players)Hero bets $14, CO raises to $28, Hero ???I believe I have $25 behind, half my stack.
Villain has AQ. Fold.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured this for a obvious push or fold decision. I thought the mini-raise could easily be a bluffaroony from an unknown idiot. Didn't really think he'd call that board with second pair with a possible flush draw out there. Turns out he did call with middle pair. He had J8os. Duh.Turns out the villian was an idiot calling raised pots with everything and went on a heater to run his stack up to about $175 before giving it all back. :club: And yes, I have notes on him now.