Jj, Low Flop, But Strong Betting

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)MP3 ($43.95)CO ($75.35)Hero ($90)SB ($46.50)BB ($10)UTG ($8.55)UTG+1 ($68.25)MP1 ($31)MP2 ($19.90)Preflop: Hero is Button with J :club: , J :D . 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $2.5, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.50, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $2.Flop: ($8.25) 3 :D , 7 :D , 8 :D(3 players)UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets $6, Hero calls $6, UTG+1 folds.Turn: ($20.25) 3 :)(2 players)MP3 bets $12.5, Hero ??Well first off, when I see a 5x+ PF raise without a bunch of limpers before it, my suspicion of a big pair or AK is heightened. On the flop I was prepared to raise a ~1/2 pot or smaller continuation bet, but I elected to just call due to the size of his bet. Then the turn, well...what do you think?Didn't have any info on this guy.

I fold the turn. Villain is showing a lot of strength here. The best you can hope for is that villain is firing a second barrel with AKs. I think either you are way behind an overpair to your jacks, or villain has AKs and has a lot of outs to beat you.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)MP3 ($43.95)CO ($75.35)Hero ($90)SB ($46.50)BB ($10)UTG ($8.55)UTG+1 ($68.25)MP1 ($31)MP2 ($19.90)Preflop: Hero is Button with J :club: , J :D . 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $2.5, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.50, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $2.Flop: ($8.25) 3 :D , 7 :D , 8 :D(3 players)UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets $6, Hero calls $6, UTG+1 folds.Turn: ($20.25) 3 :)(2 players)MP3 bets $12.5, Hero ??Well first off, when I see a 5x+ PF raise without a bunch of limpers before it, my suspicion of a big pair or AK is heightened. On the flop I was prepared to raise a ~1/2 pot or smaller continuation bet, but I elected to just call due to the size of his bet. Then the turn, well...what do you think?Didn't have any info on this guy.
Meh. This is a toss-up. Seriously. It's so easy to argue either way ...
What exactly is in his range that you're ahead of here? Possibly A-K or A-Q spades, but I don't think you see that often enough to justify playing any further. Even if you saw high cards to a flush half the time, and an overpair the other half, this is still a losing play. Also note that a call here will induce an all-in on the river, and that going over the top of him has almost no fold equity unless he has air.Your mistake was flat calling on the flop. A min-raise is a weak play, but given his stack size, it seems like the right play to get more info while threatening his whole stack. And since you're in position, you might be able to check it down if he just calls.

you put yourself in an awful position by playing so passively. Reraising pre flop gives you so much more info on this hand. So does raising the flop. And you could have done both those moves for a reasonable price.You've gotten to an expensive street and you're completely lost in the hand. Fold and and write "I will not be afraid to re raise" 100x on a sheet of paper.Also of course the raise is bigger pre flop, b/c there's limpers ahead. Normal raising pre is about 3x plus 1 for every limper. His raise is on par w/ normal, stop seeing monsters everywhere.

Always be thinking "what does he think I have"It looks like you have a flush draw. He can be betting again with AK, AQ, 99, TT, or any middle pair. Be more aggressive on earlier streets. Usually a bigger than normal preflop raise is from a middle pair or big cards. You have the biggest middle pair, so unless he flopped a set, you're probably ahead here.I call the turn and I call most rivers too.

i am reading 'Professional No Limit' at present and it specifically deals with the speed at which you play large pairs so you don't end up wondering into a hand and suddenly thinking - What Now?The structure of this whole hand has remained since you were dealt your hole cards. You have no more information. A possible solution would be to raise pre-flop but I am not convinced I would want to do that with JJ particularly as he has raised 5X from MP.As Acid Knight says there is the possibility that he thinks you're on a flush draw and this makes your hand a little stronger. You could call and 1 . Shove on a blank river card.2. Shove if the flush is made - he may fold QQ, KK if he thinks you have it.3. Shove regardless.Of course he may take your options away if he shoves on the river - i think i fold to this. You didn't have any info on this guy (which is a pity) - If I had been playing this myself I may have been considering the speed of his bets - particularly the one of the turn.