You're Not Going To Believe This

My dad just flew to Alaska and he is a retired cop, and he had his gun and ammo in seperate locked boxes. They did not check(open) them and told him he could take them on the plane with him. For a little bit of a back story, just 7 years ago he had to have multiple documents to carry on the plane while he was emplyed by the state. This is just a vacation and they are just letting him take the gun on the plane because he has a retired police officers badge.Gotta love our new hard core security that won't let you bring fingernail clippers but my dad can take on a P226 sig sauer and a case of ammon and put it in the over head compartment.Sig%20L.JPG

That's comforting...thanks! :club:

That's a damn nice gun.What was he going to do if they said no?
He was trying to check it in the belly of the plane. You and I could do that if we wanted to, hunters traveling to alaska take guns all the time.The security lady actually "offered" for him to take the gun on the plane.EDIT: I got him that gun for Xmas about 8 years ago, he gave me his old Smith and Wesson 9, its OK but that Sig is sweet.

Ive flown many times on the airlines with guns...I always checked them, thoughOne of my favorite incidents was at McCarran when the fat witch at checkin called security because I had a fullauto M16 and ACC silencer in the case.They make you pull them out in front of everyone and prove that theyre unloaded, which means that you have to cycle the action. Of course, once she saw the "evil" looking gun with a can on the end, I was surrounded by cops within a few minutes.After showing the NFA paperwork, explaining that civilian ownership of stuff like that is legal, and a call to the ATF, they finally let me check them. Thankfully a cop strolled up that knew something about it or Id probably been there a lot longer.It all depends on the airline, though. Southwest and AA are pretty cool with them, but TED and a few others can be jerks.

Didn't know you could check ammo.I do love that P226. Is that the one with the single stack clip/grip? Something about the sight pattern makes it a great gun for me to shoot.
Yes, it has a 12 round clip, before they changed the regs. The smith and wesson I have has two 15 round clips, which is nice.
Ive flown many times on the airlines with guns...I always checked them, thoughOne of my favorite incidents was at McCarran when the fat witch at checkin called security because I had a fullauto M16 and ACC silencer in the case.They make you pull them out in front of everyone and prove that theyre unloaded, which means that you have to cycle the action. Of course, once she saw the "evil" looking gun with a can on the end, I was surrounded by cops within a few minutes.After showing the NFA paperwork, explaining that civilian ownership of stuff like that is legal, and a call to the ATF, they finally let me check them. Thankfully a cop strolled up that knew something about it or Id probably been there a lot longer.It all depends on the airline, though. Southwest and AA are pretty cool with them, but TED and a few others can be jerks.
PICS please

Those have to be the best pics ever Mk on a vintage sit down video console and a 12 year old holding a fully automatic of our militaries finest.I have some buddies with decked out AR15's before the ban, I wanted to get one but could not justify the 2200 it would take to get something that I would personally only shoot a couple times a year.Oh yeah, WTF is your kid hunting with an M16. Do you have charlie in your backyard.

Back when I was allowed to own guns, I bought a couple police trade-in Sigs from CDNN- a 220 and a 229 357/40.They were in GREAT shape. One was damn near new. I tried to love them, god how I tried. I just couldn't get over those triggers (and I'm a former Glock guy!)(On that suppressed Ruger, see if it will stabilize Aguila SSS rounds. Trust me. It's worth it. Subsonic @ 60 gr. Digs deep, deep, deep. I shot a 250# feral hog in the head with Aguilas out of a 22/45 with a Gemtech can, turned out the lights in an instant and completely penetrated to its spine)

Back when I was allowed to own guns, I bought a couple police trade-in Sigs from CDNN- a 220 and a 229 357/40.They were in GREAT shape. One was damn near new. I tried to love them, god how I tried. I just couldn't get over those triggers (and I'm a former Glock guy!)
Gloc, they look neat but one of the most overrated guns IMO
Those have to be the best pics ever Mk on a vintage sit down video console and a 12 year old holding a fully automatic of our militaries finest.I have some buddies with decked out AR15's before the ban, I wanted to get one but could not justify the 2200 it would take to get something that I would personally only shoot a couple times a year.Oh yeah, WTF is your kid hunting with an M16. Do you have charlie in your backyard.
Its a stand up machine.... I hate the bar modelsI bought the 16 back when they were "just" 5K or so.... now they command 12-15K since no more can be legally made for civie use. Only ones registered before May86 can be bought and soldWhen the selector is up, its just like any other semi. I didnt let him rip off thirty at the buck, but he does at targets quite a bit. The Corona was mine, of course.... this was staged for a joke.
Gloc, they look neat but one of the most overrated guns IMO
If you used your guns like I used to (in the woods, in the dirt, in the sand) your opinion would be different. I didn't own a single gun that didn't eventually get rusted, scratched and worn. The fact that they had a pop-culture run of popularity with posers for a while doesn't change the fact that they're grossly reliable under harsh conditions.(Edit- FWIW, I completely support the idea of allowing LE and retired LE to travel with their duty sidearms. I absolutely hate most cops, but I do support that. If my plane was getting hijacked, i'd be praying your dad was on board)
Its a stand up machine.... I hate the bar modelsI bought the 16 back when they were "just" 5K or so.... now they command 12-15K since no more can be legally made for civie use. Only ones registered before May86 can be bought and soldWhen the selector is up, its just like any other semi. I didnt let him rip off thirty at the buck, but he does at targets quite a bit. The Corona was mine, of course.... this was staged for a joke.
What state are you in. Here in CA you cannot even think about those guns or they throw you in Jail.
If you used your guns like I used to (in the woods, in the dirt, in the sand) your opinion would be different. I didn't own a single gun that didn't eventually get rusted, scratched and worn. The fact that they had a pop-culture run for a while doesn't change the fact that they're grossly reliable under harsh conditions.
True they fire in water, mud, sand, deer semen everyhting you will run into in the wilderness.
Hunting with f/a is illegal in my state :club:
Mine allows full autos and silencersF/A is a joke trying to hunt with, but the suppressors are well worth havingI think the regulations are stupid myself... But the 10yrs and 25K fine for not following them is pretty severe.It would be the same thing if they made you submit fingerprints, sheriff signatures, mugshots, and background checks, and $200 for a tax stamp to buy a car muffler.

Yeah, the irony is insane.In Great Britain, where it's entirely illegal to own a simple handgun, you can buy a firearms sound "moderator" without paperwork of any kind. Same for New Zealand and other places. When the NFA was being written, the inclusion of "silencers" had nothing to do with any prospective anti personnel usage. It had everything to do with it being the Depression and people using them to poach game. Throw in a few Hollywood movies where the villain screws on a 2" tube to the barrel end of a revolver (zololz) and fires completely silent shots into the poor victim, our collective perception is skewed and the hive believes that "SILENCERS ARE ILLEGAL!" because they're evil devices meant to kill children, puppies and nuns.

What state are you in. Here in CA you cannot even think about those guns or they throw you in Jail.
All but thirteen states allows some sort of NFA weapons.Machineguns, silencers, destructive devices (grenade launchers, streetsweepers, etc), short barreled rifles, sawed off shotguns, pen guns, etc. are restricted under the National Firearms Act.To buy one, first your state has to allow them...Then, you send fingerprints, mugshots, signature of the local sheriff, citizenship forms, and a check for $200 to the ATF for approvalIf you can legally own a regular firearm, you will be approved in six to eight weeks...Youll get back the paperwork with a stamp on it just like a postage stamp. This is your proof of registration with the NFA and a copy of it need to be with you and the weapon at all times.The gun is registered to you, and you only. As long as youre within close distance of it, anyone thats not a felon can play with it, but they cannot be left alone.My wife cannot even have the safe combination where its stored.Corporations and trusts can also buy them, and anyone listed as shareholders or trustees on the documents can have possession of the NFA item.

You know I kind of like that idea.Retired police officers / military / FBI / DEA fly a couple of round trips a year as armed air marshalls and in exchange they get two free first class round trip tickets to use themselves for vacations. It doesn't really cost the airlines anything and it gets more armed air marshalls on more flights.The only thing I was a little concerned with was the ammo. My father was a transit cop in the NYC subway system. They had to carry .38 revolvers and lower velocity ammo because there was concern that if they had to fire in the crowded subway the bullet would go through the target and hit someone else. I would think a plane would have the same issues.