Profit From Online Tournament Poker

I don't think playing big field tourneys is a great way to make profit unless your very patient and playing mainly for recreation. Sit N Gos on the other hand give you a better opportunity to get in lots of experience, experience lots of bad beats and analyze mistakes and improve, while not taking up several hours of your time. If you're playing big field tournaments mainly for profit, i would advise first building ur bankroll through sit n gos or more preferably, especially in online poker with all the bonuses and vip programs, through the cash game. This is of course when your working with not much and trying to build up. If you have a solid bankroll then playing a bigger field tourneys is more fun and less stressful, and you can patiently wait for that big lump sum payoff that they give you.

On April 30th 2007, my friend sent $5 to my account. Since then, I'm up over $16,000. I only just turned 20 years old, and I've been able to quit my job, move out of my parents house, get a pretty nice apartment, and play full time.I mostly play SNGs and MTTs. My biggest win being when I took down the nightly 25K guarantee on stars at the end of june for 6200.It's all practice, dedication, and bankroll management. Bit of a brag post :club:

I think I'm up about 3K over last year or so...That includes cash games mobnies though.I got lucky and won a 5CD tourney pretty early when I was donking about so didn't take me that long to show a profit.The real question is when did you become a winning player?I'm probably still not one.... :club:

My early days consisted of showing a small but steady profit in $5.50 9 mans for like a month and then going broke in 1 bad day. This repeated several times, just counld't hold me emotions together on a bad run. After maybe 4 or 5 repeats, I started to hld myself together and slowly became a wining player, taking breaks when you are losing has helped a lot. During the early months of 2007 I dind't play very much, although I did win a 232 player $11 HORSE tournament in January. I took almost all of Febuary off. In March I won a 120 player $11 Razz tournament. Looks like at the begining of April I finished 2nd in a 180 man NL Holdem tournament. Then I went on a bad run and took all of May off. June was a huge month for me, I had back to back 1st place finishes in a 216 player $11 HORSE and a 56 player $5.50 Razz, 2 days later i won another 40 player $11 Razz, 4 days later i won $1600 by chopping 1st and 2nd in 2299 player NL Holdem tournament (unforuntately I sold the majority of my action before it started), this was followed 5 days later by taking another $821 for finishing 2nd in a 612 player $11 NL Holdem tournament. And then another 1st place finish 2 days later in a 60 player $11 Razz tournament, the first half of July started fine, finished 2nd in a 360 player $5.50 NL Holdem tournament (In all of these 2nds in NL Holdem, I had my opponents all-in drawing to 3 outs on the river and every one of them I lost!!!!) Since this however, I have been on a huge losing streak, losing just about everythign I play. I turned 18 in August and got a new account but that hasn't helped. Overall I've made about 4 grand and really feel like things are gonna turn around soon, so watch out

Well I'm happy to say that I'm now profitable after 4 months. I've turned $175 into $195...Things got off to a good start grinding away at $1.20 STTs and then I decided to move up to $5.50, partly to clear my bonus. Got off to a decent start there too but then hit a skid of 8 or 9 consecutive bustouts. That took a chunk out of my roll and a bigger chunk out of my confidence. So I dropped back down to the $1.20's, stagnated for a bit before I plugged a leak and improved my play, and August turned out to be a great month (relatively speaking). I've now made back all that I lost at $5.50 playing solely $1.20 STTs, 18's, and 45's. If it weren't for that darn foray into the $5.50's I'd be a lot more profitable than I am now.

Bloody hell, NE, you turned $5 into $16,000 in a span of 4 months?
Yeah pretty sick right? I've been lucky enough to win a couple big tourneys on stars, coupled with several 180 wins and other deep finishes.

Color me impressed/jealous of NEtwo.It took me a long, long, long time before I was profitable at tournament play. To be honest, it was soon after I joined this forum. :club: I'd say maybe 2 to 2 1/2 years from initial deposit to consistently profitable tourney play. A lot of my habits changed this year, however. I started using the 100 buy-in rule for MTT's. I posted hands and analyzed others' hands. I increased my SnG volume, and then my MTT volume. I changed my style of play significantly from my old ultra-tight, FTC style to an aggressive, play to win style. I still have tons and tons to learn, of course, but I feel like I've finally turned the corner in the past couple of months.

I was a losing player online until I started studying the game instead of just playing my two cards. Now I've cashed in tournaments (since april this year) for more than $33,000, but my profit is really closer to $30,500-$31,000.

I was a losing player online until I started studying the game instead of just playing my two cards. Now I've cashed in tournaments (since april this year) for more than $33,000, but my profit is really closer to $30,500-$31,000.
Your sig lies....'New Blog!'....BS suh!
On April 30th 2007, my friend sent $5 to my account. Since then, I'm up over $16,000. I only just turned 20 years old, and I've been able to quit my job, move out of my parents house, get a pretty nice apartment, and play full time.I mostly play SNGs and MTTs. My biggest win being when I took down the nightly 25K guarantee on stars at the end of june for 6200.It's all practice, dedication, and bankroll management. Bit of a brag post :D
wow i though i was doing good $20 into 220 :club:

I gave up keeping track but over the 4 or 5 yrs I would say I am up tourney wise about $4k. Most of that is in my car though and not in my bankroll and I no longer run goot the way I did on my first 2 yrs. People got better, I didn't I guess.

I was down about a grand before I ever cashed out... 50 dollar deposits def add up.. I think I even overdrafted my bank accounts to feed my degeneracy.
I did this. I lost 2k before I ever started learning or winning.I did this playing online blackjack once too.
On April 30th 2007, my friend sent $5 to my account. Since then, I'm up over $16,000. I only just turned 20 years old, and I've been able to quit my job, move out of my parents house, get a pretty nice apartment, and play full time.I mostly play SNGs and MTTs. My biggest win being when I took down the nightly 25K guarantee on stars at the end of june for 6200.It's all practice, dedication, and bankroll management. Bit of a brag post :club:
Mine's not quite as good as yours, but I had withdrawn everything at the end of last year after being a slightly-winning player for a year or so, and somebody shot me $20 on stars in January of this year. Since then I'm up almost $20k, but didn't really start playing/profiting at all until March.

Wish i had a decent story for you guys .. Ive won 6-7 free rolls (2k-4k people) and placed 10th 6th 1st 1st 8th respectivly. Then what i do wrong is i go and play the micro limit tables untill i get about 20$ Then jump up a higher level and bust out.. This has been my habit.. Wich i plan on changing lolThat is .. Soon as i can place in the money again and start over.. Bahh.I am nether up nor down atm.. Never have deposited and financially i am unable.Life/ bills etcIll make it.. Sooner or later.. just need to keep trying.