I Want Everyone To Be Aware Of This..

I see you ducked the two important points, the no championship game one, and the retarded schedule one.. Those are by far the two biggest reasons why the big 10 has more bcs teams.
It's not like the teams in the SEC play every single team in the league every year. I fail to see your point.
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa... They won one of the SEC divisions last year and still got spanked by USC 50-3 I think it was at their own stadium. Show them proper respect.And LOL at Wisconsin and Iowa not having huge home field advantages.Also, I think that the SEC/Pac-10 teams get a huge advantage by having the month and 1/2 off and having the bowl games closer to home than the Big-10 gets. When you haven't been playing for nearly two months it takes a while to get adjusted to game speed again. Please bring USC/Cal/LSU/Florida up north in Jan to play and watch how quick shit changes.
I didn't say that Iowa and Wisconson aren't tough places to play, but they just aren't as tough as Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, they just aren't. And also, LOL at you blowing off Arkansas.
It's not like the teams in the SEC play every single team in the league every year. I fail to see your point.
Because if the two best will play each other, every year. Either the two best teams are in the same division, and they play, or they are in opposite divisions, and they play in the confrence championship game. Their is never a situation where the two best teams duck each other in the SEC
Explain to me how the Big Ten would work their schedule and add a Championship game with 11 teams, sir. Anyone half way familiar with the Big Ten knows why this is a moot point.. And no one seems to give Ohio State a pass when they get Northwestern and Indiana removed from the schedule, but, you pull Iowa and Wisconsin and it's a big deal.
I'm not saying they have an alternate choice.. the ncaa won't let a confrence that has 11 teams have a championship game. I'm just saying when a confrence's two best teams don't play each other, that's an extra loss that one of them avoids, making it easier for both of them to make the BCS, How is that hard to understand?
I didn't say that Iowa and Wisconson aren't tough places to play, but they just aren't as tough as Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, they just aren't. And also, LOL at you blowing off Arkansas.
Your not good at paying attention are you?Did DDIDM just not explain to you that other teams/coaches in the Big-10 think Iowa is the hardest place in the league to play? So that would make it more intimidating than playing at OSU or Michigan.... so that makes it just as impressive as any of the places you just listed. I hate Iowa with a passion, but at least I am aware of how big of a home field advantage their crowd gives them, it's a near soccer type atmosphere in that stadium.
I'm not saying they have an alternate choice.. the ncaa won't let a confrence that has 11 teams have a championship game. I'm just saying when a confrence's two best teams don't play each other, that's an extra loss that one of them avoids, making it easier for both of them to make the BCS, How is that hard to understand?
And I'm saying, "How often does it happen?"How is that hard to understand?
Because if the two best will play each other, every year. Either the two best teams are in the same division, and they play, or they are in opposite divisions, and they play in the confrence championship game. Their is never a situation where the two best teams duck each other in the SEC
Not exactly. You can be the best team int he SEC, take a fluke loss to another team in your division and miss out on the championship game (and duck the best team in the other division) and still get into the BCS games.It's just as likely as the top Big-10 teams not playing each other.
Not exactly. You can be the best team int he SEC, take a fluke loss to another team in your division and miss out on the championship game (and duck the best team in the other division) and still get into the BCS games.It's just as likely as the top Big-10 teams not playing each other.
Iowa/Ohio State circa '02 happens about as often as Auburn/Florida last year.

DDim:The ACC should be the best league top to bottom as many of its members have really improved in the last 5-10 years. Problem is Miami has not lived up to the hype.....Va Tech has been about what they expected and FSU has fallen off the map.If Miami and FSU got their acts together then its a super conference as they envisioned. Miami is a lot closer....just need some decent QB play. Last night convinced me FSU is still a ways off.

DDim:The ACC should be the best league top to bottom as many of its members have really improved in the last 5-10 years. Problem is Miami has not lived up to the hype.....Va Tech has been about what they expected and FSU has fallen off the map.If Miami and FSU got their acts together then its a super conference as they envisioned. Miami is a lot closer....just need some decent QB play. Last night convinced me FSU is still a ways off.
I'm saying overall, for the past decade or so, the ACC is it. Florida State's obv struggling and Miami had a rough two year stretch, but, they're two, of just a very few places where a new coach(gaspbobbybowdengasp) can come in and win a national championship right away. So many of the teams have gotten *that* much better, and the teams that've fallen off a bit(FSU, Va. Tech, Miami), can still be top 5 right away.FSU went like, what, 10 years without beign ranked outside the Top Ten? Probably the most impressive run, ever.
I agree with pretty much all of this. This is true, and it is a valid example, but, it's atypical. Most of the time, the 2 or 3 teams in the Big Ten who compete for the BCS (Michigan/Ohio State/Wisconsin and Iowa to a lesser degree) will almost always play each other, and even though one might beat the other, they still get in on the virtues of their entire season. I think that's the problem with a title game, really, and it's the reason I dislike having one. WTF is the point of playing 8 games in conference if the 9th game(championship) is the one that's gonna define your season? It's also a flaw, inherently in the polling. I have never understood, why a #4 team losing to a #1, #2, or #3 ranked team by a reasonable (35-31, 24-21 type score), should fall in the rankings. Ummm..we're saying they're slightly better than you, they prove they're slightly better than you, but, we're gonna drop you 5 spots? I've never understood it, and I pretty much hate it. Now put a good/average SEC team in the Big Ten, and they'll have the same problems inversed. Put Tenn. in the Big Ten and they'll go 6-2 or 5-3--about the same they'll end up this year. The physical beatings that Big Ten teams put on each other week after week really do add up. Speed kills, but, consistently getting your face caved in doesn't really feel good either. There's plenty of gimmies in the SEC if you're a top tier team. Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and most years Arkansas. IMO, most years the ACC is probably the toughest top to bottom, Big Ten #2 and SEC #3. If anyone says the Pac 10, their balls are showing.
First off, I agree, Pac 10 sucks donkey dik. Most overrated conference in the US. I want to cave Mark May's face in with a hammer every time I hear him talk.Next, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Arkansas are not walks. VBilt and Kentucky are solid teams, you just have to remember they play Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, SC EVERY YEAR, and 3 of the west, which includes Ark (which has I think 3 west titles in the past 8 years, by the way, so I fail to see how they are a walk), LSU, Auburn and Alabama. I admit that 8 times or more out of 10 a Big 10 teams schedule will include Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa. But honestly you are telling me you'd prefer to play FL, TN, GA, SC, Auburn, and LSU AND possibly a title game to those 3 teams? Just for argument, drop Miss St. Now put those other 11 in the same conference like the Big 10. Yikes. I'll take Ole Miss over NWestern, Kentucky over Minn, VBilt over Indiana, SCarolina over Illinois, Alabama over Mich St. Then you've got TN, FL, GA, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU left to face Mich, Ohio St, Wis, Penn St., Purdue, and Iowa. I don't think it would be pretty in an SEC/Big 10 matchup from top to bottom, but I respect your *misguided* opinion.
Yikes. I'll take Ole Miss over NWestern, Kentucky over Minn, VBilt over Indiana, SCarolina over Illinois, Alabama over Mich St. Then you've got TN, FL, GA, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU left to face Mich, Ohio St, Wis, Penn St., Purdue, and Iowa. I don't think it would be pretty in an SEC/Big 10 matchup from top to bottom, but I respect your *misguided* opinion.
I'm gonna take exception with the ones I bolded. MN is a more consistent winner than KY, it's not even close this isn't basketball were talking about. SC is just working its way back to being something respectable now that they have Spurrier, but they aren't exactly a school you fear when you step on the football field and Ill has had it's fair share of winning seasons. Alabama over MSU, thats kind of year to year... traditionally it would be Alabama and it wouldn't' even be close but in the last 15 years Alabama has had only one really good year, they are not what they once were where MSU has been preforming fairly consistently and is always capable of beating top tier teams on any given day.. I suppose they are about the equivalent of each other now though maybe with the new coach Alabama will get better. The top of the SEC is Florida, LSU and Auburn, the rest the teams are behind them so stop adding them.Arkansas - 47 point loss at home to USC (Man that Mark May guy was wrong about the Pac-10)TN - Just beat by 14 by Cal, and has choked in most important games in recent memory. (More Pac-10 sucking - Mark May is probably crying at home now)GA - got beat by the WORST team in the Big-12 at home last year, anyone wanna explain that?That excludes them from being put with the other top SEC teams, sorry. This is the problem with SEC fans, they give no respect to the teams that hand them their asses on a platter and assume that their 12th team is better than everyone else's teams. Even though there is evidence to show that the SEC is not the top conference in college football, but merely just one of the better ones that benefit heavily from high profile time slots and east coast bias.
First off, I agree, Pac 10 sucks donkey dik. Most overrated conference in the US. I want to cave Mark May's face in with a hammer every time I hear him talk.Next, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Arkansas are not walks. VBilt and Kentucky are solid teams, you just have to remember they play Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, SC EVERY YEAR, and 3 of the west, which includes Ark (which has I think 3 west titles in the past 8 years, by the way, so I fail to see how they are a walk), LSU, Auburn and Alabama. I admit that 8 times or more out of 10 a Big 10 teams schedule will include Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa. But honestly you are telling me you'd prefer to play FL, TN, GA, SC, Auburn, and LSU AND possibly a title game to those 3 teams? Just for argument, drop Miss St. Now put those other 11 in the same conference like the Big 10. Yikes. I'll take Ole Miss over NWestern, Kentucky over Minn, VBilt over Indiana, SCarolina over Illinois, Alabama over Mich St. Then you've got TN, FL, GA, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU left to face Mich, Ohio St, Wis, Penn St., Purdue, and Iowa. I don't think it would be pretty in an SEC/Big 10 matchup from top to bottom, but I respect your *misguided* opinion.
In an SEC/Big Ten Matchup, like..maybe..the conferences bowl teams facing off..? Happened 14 times in the last 5 years and the Big Ten is 8-6(should be 9-5, the Iowa/Florida matchup that Florida won was a joke. The Sun Belt Conference apologized for the officiating and labeled 13 calls questionable or flatout wrong, including two Iowa touchdowns that were called back). Vanderbilt has been a terrible team for a long time, Kentucky had a few decent years under Hal Mumme and they've been sub-par otherwise, Ole Miss was decent with Eli(though I do like Orgeron, their new coach), Arkansas had two very good seasons in a row, but, otherwise, they've been the SEC equivalent of Michigan State..If you're a top 25 team, you should be beating these teams, every year. Sidenote: Regardless of which conference is better, IMO, Tennessee, for years, has been the most overrated team in the country. The bad teams in the SEC get a lot of credit simply because they're in the SEC, and a team like Vanderbilt occasionally gets a few breaks in scheduling, has a good QB and a decent defense, and goes ~9-2. It's very hard to compare program to program. It's all relative to how long ago you're talking about. Are we strictly talking about last year? Are we talking about the last 5 years? Just the BCS era? Last 10 years? All time? It makes a big difference. If we're talking about the here and now, Florida's topping the list, and Alabama--who's up there with Michigan among all time great programs--is probably number 5. You could make a list based on a general level of respectability amongst the programs right now, but, it wasn't *that* long ago that Northwestern was playing in the Rose Bowl. And it probably wouldn't be indicative of the fact that Ron Zook is recruiting at Illinois now and that Indiana's finally got some very good talent now, which they haven't had for the last 40 years or so. It's all relative, I guess. I think the fact that teams like Northwestern and Purdue made the Rose Bowl pre-BCS says a lot. How long has it been since Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, South Carolina or Mississippi State made it to one of the top bowl games? And is Northwestern/Purdue making the Rose Bowl indicative of a weak Big Ten, or does it speak to the quality and the parody of the Big Ten..kinda hard to say, really.Edit: BTW, your comparisons are flawed for the simple fact that you matched up South Carolina and Illinois.. (Maybe the second)Worst team in the Big Ten versus a SEC middle of the pack Bowl Team. Not exactly a fair matchup.
GA - got beat by the WORST team in the Big-12 at home last year, anyone wanna explain that?
actually Georgia won that game......if you seriously think the ACC is the top football conference then I am totally wasting my time reading this thread...........WAKE FOREST WON THE ACC LAST YEAR.......WAKE FRUCKING FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................dude, the Big 10 is prolly better than the ACCso last year all season long the media in the WHOLE COUNTRY (no bias) swore to god that Ohio State and Michigan were the top 2 teams in the country ...........and they both get destroyed in their bowl games.........OHIO STATE WAS OUTCLASSED ALL OVER THE FIELD BY A PRETTY STANDARD FLORIDA TEAM yeah, so what, some big10 team might beat some middle road SEC team in some bowl no one even cares about including the players...........but when its time to dance for the national championship game the SECs BEST TEAM WILL NOT LOSE TO THE BIG 10s TOP TEAM................oh yeah..........APP State just beat the Big10s top ranked team in the BIG HOUSE.......maybe its not big enough
Sidenote: Regardless of which conference is better, IMO, Tennessee, for years, has been the most overrated team in the country.
i don't totally disagree with this statement at all...........
actually Georgia won that game......if you seriously think the ACC is the top football conference then I am totally wasting my time reading this thread...........WAKE FOREST WON THE ACC LAST YEAR.......WAKE FRUCKING FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................dude, the Big 10 is prolly better than the ACCso last year all season long the media in the WHOLE COUNTRY (no bias) swore to god that Ohio State and Michigan were the top 2 teams in the country ...........and they both get destroyed in their bowl games.........OHIO STATE WAS OUTCLASSED ALL OVER THE FIELD BY A PRETTY STANDARD FLORIDA TEAM yeah, so what, some big10 team might beat some middle road SEC team in some bowl no one even cares about including the players...........but when its time to dance for the national championship game the SECs BEST TEAM WILL NOT LOSE TO THE BIG 10s TOP TEAM................oh yeah..........APP State just beat the Big10s top ranked team in the BIG HOUSE.......maybe its not big enough
I'm not saying that the best team in the SEC is never better than the best team in the Big Ten. We're talking about the conferences as a whole. Florida crushed Ohio State, there is no doubting that. I don't think that means in of itself, the SEC, as a whole, is better than the Big Ten.. /shrug

Florida 2006 scheduleSeptember 2 Southern Miss W 34-7 1-0 (0-0) September 9 UCF W 42-0 2-0 (0-0) September 16 at No. 13 Tennessee W 21-20 3-0 (1-0) CBS September 23 Kentucky W 26-7 4-0 (2-0) September 30 Alabama W 28-13 5-0 (3-0) CBS October 7 No. 9 LSU W 23-10 6-0 (4-0) CBS October 14 at No. 11 Auburn L 27-17 6-1 (4-1) October 28 at Georgia W 21-14 7-1 (5-1) CBS November 4 at Vanderbilt W 25-19 8-1 (6-1) November 11 South Carolina W 17-16 9-1 (7-1) CBS November 18 Western Carolina W 62-0 10-1 (7-1) November 25 at Florida State W 21-14 11-1 (7-1) December 2 No. 8 Arkansas W 38-28 12-1 (7-1) CBS January 8 No. 2 Ohio State W 41-14 13-1 (7-1) Fox Ohio State 2006 scheduleSeptember 2 Northern Illinois W 35-12 1-0 (0-0) September 9 at No. 2 Texas W 24-7 2-0 (0-0) September 16 Cincinnati W 37-7 3-0 (0-0) September 23 No. 24 Penn State W 28-6 4-0 (1-0) September 30 at No. 13 Iowa W 38-17 5-0 (2-0) October 7 Bowling Green W 35-7 6-0 (2-0) October 14 at Michigan State W 38-7 7-0 (3-0) October 21 Indiana W 44-3 8-0 (4-0) October 28 Minnesota W 44-0 9-0 (5-0) November 4 at Illinois W 17-10 10-0 (6-0) November 11 at Northwestern W 54-10 11-0 (7-0) November 18 No. 2 Michigan W 42-39 12-0 (8-0) January 8 No. 1 Florida L 41-14 12-1 (8-0) Fox I don't know how to space the above out to make it easier to read, sorry.Anyway, one more argument from me. Notice how Florida was tested pretty much every week they played an in-conference game. On the other hand, Ohio State was tested by Michigan(obv) and Illinois(????, did they test anyone else?). Year in and year out it is a tougher road to get through the SEC. This is probably the reason we don't have as many BCS appearances but I bet we have more different teams that have made appearances in the BCS.

This is probably the reason we don't have as many BCS appearances but I bet we have more different teams that have made appearances in the BCS.
Purdue, Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin(7 teams).Florida, Tenn., Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn(6 teams).

ok i may be wrong there, so one team difference huh, i def didn't have that stat in my head for sure..............but you can't argue with the schedule comparison and the higher level of competition an SEC team goes through in a year opposed to that of a Big10 team

Purdue, Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin(7 teams).Florida, Tenn., Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn(6 teams).
while you're at it, look up the results in those BCS games...........i'm curious to see.........actually maybe I will
while you're at it, look up the results in those BCS games...........i'm curious to see.........actually maybe I will
Big Ten is 8-7, SEC is 9-4. I don't think the number of teams from a conference making BCS is indicative of anything--just answering your not-really-a-question-question about the number of teams from each conference making it to the BCS. I didn't remember Illinois making the Sugar Bowl.

ok, you guys have won one more bcs game than the sec has.......EDIT: my quick count showed you guys winning one more game.........i didn't count the losses