I Want Everyone To Be Aware Of This..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEC is 9-4, Big Ten is 8-7.
OMG the argument is over, we take the cake!!!!!!!no, seriously........there is no way to determine the best, we all have our own opinions but it is fun to argue about..............would be fun to see a SEC-Big10 challenge in football........everyones first game of the year would be against whoever finished in the same slots the previous year.......impossible to do that with college football scheduling though
OMG the argument is over, we take the cake!!!!!!!
LOL..that record does kinda help the argument about 2 Big Ten teams making the BCS, though..
no, seriously........there is no way to determine the best, we all have our own opinions but it is fun to argue about..............would be fun to see a SEC-Big10 challenge in football........everyones first game of the year would be against whoever finished in the same slots the previous year.......impossible to do that with college football scheduling though
I would LOVE a Big Ten/SEC Challenge in Football. They should really make this happen.
I'm saying overall, for the past decade or so, the ACC is it. Florida State's obv struggling and Miami had a rough two year stretch, but, they're two, of just a very few places where a new coach(gaspbobbybowdengasp) can come in and win a national championship right away. So many of the teams have gotten *that* much better, and the teams that've fallen off a bit(FSU, Va. Tech, Miami), can still be top 5 right away.FSU went like, what, 10 years without beign ranked outside the Top Ten? Probably the most impressive run, ever.
yeah FSU was good but Miami finished first or second in 83, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, 92. More impressive I think, especially since FSU lost to Miami in a lot of those 10 straight years they were in the top ten. Just sayin.oh and the 2001 Hurricanes were the best college football team of all time. discuss. (1995 Nebraska = close second) (oh and by all time I mean since 1980. Comparing teams two generations apart is like apples and oranges.)
Anyway, one more argument from me. Notice how Florida was tested pretty much every week they played an in-conference game. On the other hand, Ohio State was tested by Michigan(obv) and Illinois(????, did they test anyone else?). Year in and year out it is a tougher road to get through the SEC. This is probably the reason we don't have as many BCS appearances but I bet we have more different teams that have made appearances in the BCS.
Florida being tested every week just means they were not dominate, maybe they just weren't capable of blowing teams out. They got so ridiculously lucky against TN and SC (yes I watched both games) it's insane but you need that kind of luck over a season to get to the national title game (a crybaby coach doesn't hurt either). OSU was tested by Penn St (two pick 6's sealed it in the last 4 minutes of the game, it was close before that) and Iowa played them much tougher than the score indicated. MSU just totally didn't show up for that game, I have no idea why.

Sidenote: Regardless of which conference is better, IMO, Tennessee, for years, has been the most overrated team in the country. ****Um, this is the same Tennessee that has 4 SEC east titles, 2 SEC titles, a national championship and a runner up national championship since 1997 right? I guess that is just an opinion, because you can't back that up. Don't even try. ***The bad teams in the SEC get a lot of credit simply because they're in the SEC, and a team like Vanderbilt occasionally gets a few breaks in scheduling, has a good QB and a decent defense, and goes ~9-2. ***You mean like Iowa when they avoided Ohio St in 2002? You play the teams you're scheduled, it has no bearing on my opinion of either conference or any results, because it cannot be controlled.*** MORE POSTS I WANT TO ADDRESS:I'm gonna take exception with the ones I bolded. MN is a more consistent winner than KY, it's not even close this isn't basketball were talking about. SC is just working its way back to being something respectable now that they have Spurrier, but they aren't exactly a school you fear when you step on the football field and Ill has had it's fair share of winning seasons. Alabama over MSU, thats kind of year to year... traditionally it would be Alabama and it wouldn't' even be close but in the last 15 years Alabama has had only one really good year, they are not what they once were where MSU has been preforming fairly consistently and is always capable of beating top tier teams on any given day.. I suppose they are about the equivalent of each other now though maybe with the new coach Alabama will get better.***I'm not talking about the history of the programs. I was talking about if they played, now or the last few years, who would win. Again, just opinions.***Arkansas - 47 point loss at home to USC (Man that Mark May guy was wrong about the Pac-10)TN - Just beat by 14 by Cal, and has choked in most important games in recent memory. (More Pac-10 sucking - Mark May is probably crying at home now)GA - got beat by the WORST team in the Big-12 at home last year, anyone wanna explain that?That excludes them from being put with the other top SEC teams, sorry. This is the problem with SEC fans, they give no respect to the teams that hand them their asses on a platter and assume that their 12th team is better than everyone else's teams. Even though there is evidence to show that the SEC is not the top conference in college football, but merely just one of the better ones that benefit heavily from high profile time slots and east coast bias--Arkansas did get spanked by USC...twice. USC is the class of that conference. No question about their greatness. The rest of the conference SUCKS outside of Cal, which I'll address next.--You mention the Cal/TN game that just happened, but fail to mention the $hitkicking Cal got from TN the year before. Cal, not Tennessee, is the most overrated program in college football. Although they look great this year, crying about a BCS spot then losing to Texas Tech is proof of their suckocity. They have done nothing that warrants them national attention outside of beating USC in triple overtime 3-4 years ago and beating TN this weekend. Name something else. Anything. Seriously.--OK so who else is in the Pac 10? Stanford sucks, Arizona sucks, Wash. sucks, Wash St, Ore, Ore St, Ari St, and UCLA all mediocre AT BEST. Can't compare those teams to Tenn, GA, Ark, Alabama, Auburn.--I'm not sure which team you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure GA has never been beaten by Iowa St or Baylor at home. Maybe I'm wrong here.I like debating football. Lets keep it going.

--I'm not sure which team you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure GA has never been beaten by Iowa St or Baylor at home. Maybe I'm wrong here.I like debating football. Lets keep it going.
I was referring to Colorado. But I went back and checked and they came back to win that 14-13, I remember watching the game thinking how pathetic GA looked the entire game and thought it was funny they were supposed to be a top SEC team and losing to the worst team in the big-12 last year.If you want to get into specifics about the Pac-10, I'm not the guy to do so... find SilentSnow and bring him in here. However if the SEC is so good, how can one of their division winners lose by 40+ to anyone at home? Were talking the second to 4th best team in the conference depending on where you think LSU and Auburn where at last year, and they got totally annihilated.

From Stewart Mandel's mailbag today...I am so tired of hearing SEC fans say that "the second-best Pac-10 team beat the fourth-best SEC team" when Cal beat Tennessee. Is that all they got?--Joe, SacramentoJoe, Joe, Joe. So blissfully naïve. If there's two things I've learned during my time on this beat, it's that the SEC is positively, indisputably the greatest conference in the history of mankind, and little things like logic, facts and common sense have no bearing whatsoever on this distinction.Tennessee beats Cal last year? Yet another feather in the SEC's cap. Cal beats Tennessee this year? Completely irrelevant. USC beats Auburn 23-0 in 2003? That wasn't one of Auburn's better teams. Auburn goes 12-0 the next year and gets left out of the BCS title game? A crime against humanity, seeing as the Tigers obviously would have beaten the Trojans. Big East champion Louisville comes within an offsides call of edging SEC champ Florida out of last year's BCS title game? Exhibit A why the whole system needs to be blown up. The fact that Big East champion West Virginia beat SEC champion Georgia in the Sugar Bowl just a year earlier? Eh -- the Dawgs weren't up for that game. Les Miles calls out USC's "soft" Pac-10 schedule? Well ... duh. But wouldn't that make SEC divisional champion Arkansas -- whom the Trojans beat 50-14 just a year earlier -- even softer? No, because Darren McFadden wasn't healthy, and he's obviously capable of producing 36 points on his own. Florida beating Ohio State like a rented mule in last year's title game? Indisputable confirmation that the Big Ten can't hold a candle to the SEC. The fact SEC teams lost their other two bowl games against Big Ten foes? Never happened.So basically, Joe, I wouldn't waste your time with one of those futile debates. Just accept the SEC's eternal superiority for what it is and we can all go back to watching The Pick-Up Artist in peace.Also from his mailbag on 7/11/07....Any chance of an upset in the Appalachian State-Michigan game Sept. 1 at the Big House? The Mountaineers have an explosive offense and are just plain fun to watch.--Kevin Weis, Tryon, N.C.I never say never to anything in college football -- but this one comes pretty close. Yes, it's a rare and somewhat intriguing scenario for a big-name, top-10 team to be opening its season against the defending I-AA (yes, I still use that designation) national champion. And yes, we've seen no shortage of I-AA over I-A upsets in recent years. But it's one thing for an upper-echelon I-AA team to knock off a bad I-A team (like New Hampshire over Northwestern or Montana State over Colorado), but when you're talking about a team like Michigan, the disparity in size and depth is just way too much. The most realistic scenario is that the Mountaineers could hang with the Wolverines for about a half, but eventually all that Mike Hart pounding would wear them down.

The bad teams in the SEC get a lot of credit simply because they're in the SEC, and a team like Vanderbilt occasionally gets a few breaks in scheduling, has a good QB and a decent defense, and goes ~9-2. ***You mean like Iowa when they avoided Ohio St in 2002? You play the teams you're scheduled, it has no bearing on my opinion of either conference or any results, because it cannot be controlled.
Oh, my.. Iowa did beat Michigan at the Big House that year, 34-9..Michigan's worst home loss in 25 years, beat a very good Penn State team in Happy Valley, had the John Mackey Award winner(Nation's Best TE) in Dallas Clark, two time Lou Groza winner (Nation's best K) in Nate Kaeding, Maxwell Award Winner(Nation's Best QB) and Heisman runner up in Brad Banks.. This wasn't a team that just got lucky to go 8-0 in the Big Ten, and beat 4 bowl teams that year(including the thumping of Michigan, who turned around and beat Florida in the Outback Bowl, that year). They did get drilled by USC, but, Ferentz has said multiple times that it was his fault, as he let his players enjoy the feel of being at a BCS game, didn't keep them focused, and didn't have them prepared. I know I said Vanderbilt in my original post, and that might've been a bit confusing..as Vanderbilt hasn't had a winning season in a couple years--25 years, to be exact--but, it might've made more sense if I had said, Arkansas, instead.
Florida being tested every week just means they were not dominate, maybe they just weren't capable of blowing teams out. They got so ridiculously lucky against TN and SC (yes I watched both games) it's insane but you need that kind of luck over a season to get to the national title game (a crybaby coach doesn't hurt either). OSU was tested by Penn St (two pick 6's sealed it in the last 4 minutes of the game, it was close before that) and Iowa played them much tougher than the score indicated. MSU just totally didn't show up for that game, I have no idea why.
dude you totally missed my point WOW...............you're not the best candidate to argue for the Big10...........here's what my argument was saying in a nutshell........Ohio State gets tested by almost NOONE in the Big10 and STILL got KILLED by Florida..........................Florida gets tested ALL YEAR LONG in the SEC AND THEY DEMOLISH OHIO STATE!!!!!!! do you not understand what I'm saying???? BTW, were you the same guy that said the ACC was the best confernce???LOL..........was Florida LUCKY to beat the BIG10 champions last year?????? I think not sir............peace
dude you totally missed my point WOW...............you're not the best candidate to argue for the Big10...........here's what my argument was saying in a nutshell........Ohio State gets tested by almost NOONE in the Big10 and STILL got KILLED by Florida..........................
And I was pointing out the games they were tested in. You obviously didn't watch OSU play at all, your just looking at scores and assuming you know how easy or hard the game was. My favorite team may be in the Big-10, that doesn't mean I don't watch teams in the other conferences too.
Florida gets tested ALL YEAR LONG in the SEC AND THEY DEMOLISH OHIO STATE!!!!!!! do you not understand what I'm saying????
And having a month and half off (better for speed teams like the SEC/Pac-10), playing in a climate SEC teams are more acclimated too and OSU's best player getting hurt on the first play had nothing to do with it. If that game gets played within a week or two of the season actually ending, totally different result. Taking a month and half off between games is stupid. Teams can go flat like OSU did last year, it's not the first occurrence of a dominating team going flat after a huge layoff. You can call it the coaches fault I suppose, but generally if you haven't played a game for that long your likely to come out a biut slow and teams with more natural speed have an initial advantage, especially when your fastest and most skilled offensive player goes out early.
BTW, were you the same guy that said the ACC was the best confernce???
Sorry, wasn't me... get your people straight before saying I'm not the best person to debate with.
LOL..........was Florida LUCKY to beat the BIG10 champions last year?????? I think not sir............peace
When did I say they were lucky to beat OSU? If your going to debate, try responding to my actual point and not glossing over it and not understanding anything that was said. I said they were lucky to beat TN (1 point win where TN had lots of opportunity to win) and SC (two blocked FG's). And yea before you ask I think that for the most part blocked FG's are lucky, very rarely does a team do it consistently enough to count on it happening in a clutch situation.
Oh, my.. Iowa did beat Michigan at the Big House that year, 34-9..Michigan's worst home loss in 25 years, beat a very good Penn State team in Happy Valley, had the John Mackey Award winner(Nation's Best TE) in Dallas Clark, two time Lou Groza winner (Nation's best K) in Nate Kaeding, Maxwell Award Winner(Nation's Best QB) and Heisman runner up in Brad Banks.. This wasn't a team that just got lucky to go 8-0 in the Big Ten, and beat 4 bowl teams that year(including the thumping of Michigan, who turned around and beat Florida in the Outback Bowl, that year). They did get drilled by USC, but, Ferentz has said multiple times that it was his fault, as he let his players enjoy the feel of being at a BCS game, didn't keep them focused, and didn't have them prepared. I know I said Vanderbilt in my original post, and that might've been a bit confusing..as Vanderbilt hasn't had a winning season in a couple years--25 years, to be exact--but, it might've made more sense if I had said, Arkansas, instead.
You're missing my point I think. I love Iowa, big Iowa fan here. I'm just saying that you play your schedule, sometimes it comes down a little better than other times, and that leads to a BCS spot. You can't control who you play, you just play them. Happens in SEC, Big 10, and Big 12
And I'm saying, "How often does it happen?"How is that hard to understand?
Well, Since you asked, it's happened twice...in 1998, Wisconson was named Big Ten Champion and Ohio State was an at large BCS Team, and they did not play that season2002 Ohio state is Big Ten Champion, Iowa gets an atlarge bid, they did not play...If those teams had to play that year, that would probably be two less Big Ten BCS schools, not to mention how an additional loss in a BCS championship game could have hurt the at large bids in other years that there were two big 10 teams. Having to not play a championship game is a huge record advantage the big ten has in garnering at large bids.
:club: round of applause for Michigan :D lol, they beat the mighty fighting irish..........lol
My love of Michigan is only equaled by hatred of ND. I don't care if ND is having a down year, it's always worth beating them. I bet they voters are glad they kept ND out of the preseason polls this year like they should have last year.
Don't forget TN lost it's second game (though to another SEC team) and it wasn't even competitive.
LOL at the Big 10 guys still going..............LOL.......using this game as a way of trying to argue against the SEC made me laugh.......citadel put up how many points on Wisconsin?????Minnesota got beat by who last week?????