Starting My Poker Career, In A Year

Hey, so right now I'm 17 and have one more year in high school. I plan on playing poker as a source of income throughout my college years (hopefully around the rate of a steady 10 dollars per hour job), but that wont be till I'm 18, in college, and with a credit card. So as for now, I'm focusing on my high school work, just hanging out, and living life as a high school teen, but I also want to continue getting better at poker without playing. Which books would be the best for me read to enhance my play? Obviously the HOH series, but any hidden diamond-in-the-rough books? And has anybody else done this when they were my age? I started playing online when I was 15 and made only 300 dollars, (I had no control over my br, or still dont as a matter of fact). How did you start off when you hit 18? How many hours did you play, winning profit, etc? Did you find balancing your time with a job, social life, college difficult?Any tips when I start my career as in which sites to choose, which rakeback system works the best. I learned that full tilt has the worse support, ever so i probably wont play there. Any amateur problems I'll likely experience that anyone else has gone through and can help me out? Also, how big was your br when you started? I'm thinkin of depositing around 1k. Another question, how crucial is it for me to learn/buy pokertracker?

Hey, so right now I'm 17 and have one more year in high school. I plan on playing poker as a source of income throughout my college years (hopefully around the rate of a steady 10 dollars per hour job), but that wont be till I'm 18, in college, and with a credit card. So as for now, I'm focusing on my high school work, just hanging out, and living life as a high school teen, but I also want to continue getting better at poker without playing. Which books would be the best for me read to enhance my play? Obviously the HOH series, but any hidden diamond-in-the-rough books? And has anybody else done this when they were my age? I started playing online when I was 15 and made only 300 dollars, (I had no control over my br, or still dont as a matter of fact).
yup, i started playing at 16 and a half (2 and a half years ago) and was playing semi pro since i was 18....www.cardrunners.com is the little "diamond in the rough" tool to make you get a lil over $10/hour...lol...why would you want to play poker pro if you can make as much as that in any other job....GL dude. oh, and some advice, if you're like me and you play ppl in the cafe during lunch, don't play them unelss they have the money with them cuz i'm still owed over 1k dollars in cafe poker from over a year ago.......Gabe.

Glad to hear from someone who did that same as I did. I find it hard to hold off online poker till I'm 18, but w.eCardrunners.. expensive fee.. ugh, I need to find a minimum wage job btw..

Hey, so right now I'm 17 and have one more year in high school. I plan on playing poker as a source of income throughout my college years (hopefully around the rate of a steady 10 dollars per hour job), but that wont be till I'm 18, in college, and with a credit card. So as for now, I'm focusing on my high school work, just hanging out, and living life as a high school teen, but I also want to continue getting better at poker without playing. Which books would be the best for me read to enhance my play? Obviously the HOH series, but any hidden diamond-in-the-rough books? And has anybody else done this when they were my age? I started playing online when I was 15 and made only 300 dollars, (I had no control over my br, or still dont as a matter of fact).
I am 16, I will be 17 in September, I'm in about the same boat you are except that I have 2 years of high school left and I plan on doing the same thing that you are doing.
Do you have money saved up for expenses, etc?
Rich father that promised me a free car and tuition if I get into a decent college? I just need a standard job for living expenses, and poker as a side job.

Well, if you've got everything to fall back on, then just dive in head first.Just don't let it get in the way of your education, like I did.And if you ever do it "professionally", don't do it without 6 months of living expenses set aside. Like they say, leave yourself outs.

Get a job, play poker on the side. To actually make decent money you're going to need to play either .5/1 or 1-2 NL. I find anything lower than that to be a total grind.

i dont see how you can 'plan' on playing as a source of income.you have no idea how you'll fare at this point.it's like a kid showing up for their high school football team tryouts and having plans to go pro after they graduate before they even make the team.everyone thinks that they're good enough to win, but the vast majority wont succeed.take it one step at a time.

i dont see how you can 'plan' on playing as a source of income.you have no idea how you'll fare at this point.it's like a kid showing up for their high school football team tryouts and having plans to go pro after they graduate before they even make the team.everyone thinks that they're good enough to win, but the vast majority wont succeed.take it one step at a time.
This is the voice of reason.Even the biggest donks out there want to turn pro. Play strictly for entertainment and learning for at least a year to see if you have the stuff to do it. There is no way you can count on poker to make you money from the get go.
solid advice...i kinda miss the days when i played for entertainment because that's when i actually had a thrill when i was playing. I was having so much fun every time i played it was crazy.Now that i play for income, it's more stressful...and i'm not as motivated to play for many hours.is it just me?

My thoughts.I'm a little older than 17 - and have been playing about a year, really trying to improve and making steady progress - could no way make a living.Really would have stood no chance at that age, the highs and lows would have got to me (poker is sometimes really unfair).You said that you still haven't managed to learn BR management. PLEASE READ THE NEXT SENTENCE 50 TIMES. You will need to - downswings can take on horrendous proportions.With regard to HOH books. They are good - I rate them. But my feelings on them are this. He explains his points very well. You understand what he is trying to say. However, what he says is to me a little one-dimensional. Not that they are bad books, but read in isolation would leave you with a very narrow view of the game. He is not called 'Action Dan' for nothing.You want recommendations for other books. Well - as I antidote to Harrington (a little balance) 'How to bluff and win at poker' Matt Lessinger.Kenny

I started playing poker when I was 15, online for play $ when i was 16, and then online for real $ when i was 17. it really is bizarre thinking back on those days when 10 cent 25 cent NL was a rush and making 20$ was an incredible feeling :club: . just get a friend to transfer you $, not that hard. thats what i did.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay hustler go big time but here is a must book to make it and really it is " Getting The Best of It" this princple you must adhere to then you will Make it! all this other hokispokis iss with in that, now as for trouble you will have that because poker games mostly arenot a 9to 5 thing as in no telling when or how you will get into it or get out ----passing out is my current choice. As for the other little problems the bank is one and one meaning you don't quit if you are playing the odds no matter how much money you seem to need if you are getting 100-1 on an even money bet but it is 2 grand well good by bank roll or maybe graduate from college in case the Fed wants to bust you. Bye, never never be a "pro with a bank roll" because they is all meat in the grinder the working man on the streets of Las Vegas paying for Daniels and Reeses shoes ado

.. I also want to continue getting better at poker without playing.
It's been said already, but this is very difficult. You need to play LOTS; remember, the vast majority of online players are losing - no offense, but without having played a lot, how do you know you'll be different? I'm 18, started playing about a year ago. I spent 6 months playing all the time, depositing/cashing out/switching limits like crazy, and at best breaking even but learning a hell of a lot. For the last 6 months, I've been grinding out 40$/hr which is great, but without playing so much, i'd still be the crazy breakeven player I was at the start. There's no book that's a replacement for experience.
It's been said already, but this is very difficult. You need to play LOTS; remember, the vast majority of online players are losing - no offense, but without having played a lot, how do you know you'll be different? I'm 18, started playing about a year ago. I spent 6 months playing all the time, depositing/cashing out/switching limits like crazy, and at best breaking even but learning a hell of a lot. For the last 6 months, I've been grinding out 40$/hr which is great, but without playing so much, i'd still be the crazy breakeven player I was at the start. There's no book that's a replacement for experience.
I agree with you that expierience is the #1 thing in poker, but this guy obviously has played before, its not like he hasnt played 1 hand in his life. You can still improve your game drastically by reading/posting on forums, reading books, reading strategy articles, etc.

Get Pokertracker.Use it. After every session go back and look at your hands. Look at the big pots and ask yourself, "why'd I lose this hand?", or "why'd I win this one?".Find out who the winningest players in your game are. Look at their hands. Why are they winning?Get Pokerstove. Find a big pot you were involved in. Enter your hand and then try to think of a range of hands that villain could have. Use Pokerstove to help you figure out what the best play is given how your hand stacks up against villain's range.Post your hands in the appropiate strategy section.Post replies in strat. Don't worry that the stakes the op plays in are higher than you're use to or you feel that you are probably wrong. Discussing hands and giving input will help you in your game.Those are some ways you can improved your poker game when you aren't playing poker.

Okay hustler go big time but here is a must book to make it and really it is " Getting The Best of It" this princple you must adhere to then you will Make it! all this other hokispokis iss with in that, now as for trouble you will have that because poker games mostly arenot a 9to 5 thing as in no telling when or how you will get into it or get out ----passing out is my current choice. As for the other little problems the bank is one and one meaning you don't quit if you are playing the odds no matter how much money you seem to need if you are getting 100-1 on an even money bet but it is 2 grand well good by bank roll or maybe graduate from college in case the Fed wants to bust you. Bye, never never be a "pro with a bank roll" because they is all meat in the grinder the working man on the streets of Las Vegas paying for Daniels and Reeses shoes ado
Dude, wait.... what?You might have some good points in there, but nobody is ever going to be able to tell.