congrats to smash.......

Most of you know about Kurt's hand at the WPT. Smash was the first one (I think) who came out and said that he disagreed with the play. While I've said all along, I see the logic in both scenarios. I chose one and Smash chose the other. Daniel CLEARLY agreed with Smash. So, my hat is off to Smash for being the first one to analyze the play like a world champion poker player. It still doesn't mean that I have to agree with it though, lol. :club::D:D

And a boo to Mr. Boston for calling an all-in with A9! Doesn't he know that the amateur is supposed to suck out on the river??Anyway, Smash 12, everyone else 0. I think you have to write that serialized poker novel now to really inspire the hate.

Within the difference between Smash/DN and the all-in advocates here, I think we can all learn a lot about the difference between cash NL and tourney NL. Maybe I shouldn't speak for others; I'LL learn a lot from it... Something I'm also taking away from Smash's analysis was the idea of the GOAL the all in had: (I haven't read the whole thing, so sorry if this has been covered) did he want the guy to fold or to call? I know that I make this move far too often without knowing the answer to this, and I think that's a HUGE mistake. Maybe I'll even fix it one day...

Within the difference between Smash/DN and the all-in advocates here, I think we can all learn a lot about the difference between cash NL and tourney NL. Maybe I shouldn't speak for others; I'LL learn a lot from it... Something I'm also taking away from Smash's analysis was the idea of the GOAL the all in had: (I haven't read the whole thing, so sorry if this has been covered) did he want the guy to fold or to call? I know that I make this move far too often without knowing the answer to this, and I think that's a HUGE mistake. Maybe I'll even fix it one day...
I didn't really know either way. I figured I was ahead ,so a call was ok by me, but I wanted to give him a real good chance to think about folding. I didn't want to give him a free card on the river to suck out, but a raise would have committed me anyway. So I pushed, either the fold or call I figured would work. I just got beat, and he made a bad call... which is the whole idea of poker, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

there were several of us that disagreed with the play and a lot of us had the same reasoning. The majority of course agreed with his play and are probably not going to say much anymore after Daniel said what he thought. It's too early in the tournament to take this risk, the reward of doubling up does not outweight the risk of being knocked out. You need to keep in mind your still in the early stages where doubling up or tripling up is not such a big deal when the blinds are not all that high yet.I think the reasoning behind Boston's call is that either Kurt had a weaker Ace, K or Q, was bluffing, had a straight. My thought process here would have been like this, I would not have put Kurt on a boat here, because I don't think he would have moved all-in with a boat, because it's a big overbet. By moving all-in, a lot of the time your saying I have a hand that I think is the best, but dont want to be called really as all my chips are on the line. The hand I would be afraid of here is the flopped straight, but I really wouldn't put him on this hand either, because that ace could not have looked good for his straight to move in with. I would have likely put him on a weaker ace or hes making a play and in the worst case, if he has a straight, I've got some outs to draw out on him still.

Most of you know about Kurt's hand at the WPT. Smash was the first one (I think) who came out and said that he disagreed with the play. While I've said all along, I see the logic in both scenarios. I chose one and Smash chose the other. Daniel CLEARLY agreed with Smash. So, my hat is off to Smash for being the first one to analyze the play like a world champion poker player. It still doesn't mean that I have to agree with it though, lol. :club::D:D
Where did Daniel answer ? Can someone send me the link of the thread ?

the whole point is that it doesnt matter. daniel specifically said that he didnt make a mistake at all. basically, there is a conservative way to play the hand and an agressive way to play the hand. kurt chose to risk elimination, feeling that having all the money in with the best hand was worth it. other people feel like survival is the best, and are willing to potentially lose money if boston folds on the river to a blank. survival is important in tournaments, but that doesnt mean that any play that goes against survival is automatically incorrect.the other thing is that Kurt is not a good enough player to accumulate chips with his wit; in other words, he should be looking for situations to get the money in with a big edge, even if it means risking elimination. the difference between Kurt and Daniel is that if DN has a short stack, its okay because he can outplay the table and earn chips. if kurt has a short stack....he needs to get lucky, fast. in fact, I would make the argument that for this reason, the turn all-in is correct, because Kurt simply is not a good enough player to not look for situations where he is way ahead. even if daniel disagrees with the play, it is the right play for those who are less experienced.I think in quiz number 6, where you raise with QQ and someone reraises you, he recommends a call, but also advises less experienced players to reraise, because they might not be as confident with their post-flop play. i think that this is a very similar situation.

All plays were technically right. You just got unlucky. Im guessing, you(suited) assumed that he wasnt going to call an all in with jus trip aces. Too bad Alan Boston sucks, but he still had like 10 outs to the river.

All plays were technically right. You just got unlucky. Im guessing, you(suited) assumed that he wasnt going to call an all in with jus trip aces. Too bad Alan Boston sucks, but he still had like 10 outs to the river.
no he assumed that he was going to call... thats why he went all in. why would he go all in assuming the guy would fold when he was a huge favorite
Hey comon.. I took just as many flames for posting my thoughts on just calling the turn. you people even made fun of my avatar
your avatar sucks! :club:
Well I can only assume your avatar reflects yourself, a over weight, red faced alcoholic, who spends too much time at home to even consider the remote possibility of talking to a woman, let alone one as hot as my avatar.
unnecessary ego boost.plenty of people suggested calling.should they all get congraulatory posts?
no but they wouldnt have gotten "i told you so" posts either, he would've. thats what the OP is saying.
Faisal...for **** sakes...you suck! Give it up and quit following me around!! :wink:
Guest Anonymous
IDIOTS HE WAS A FAVORITE HE GOT IN WITH THE BEST HAND. he WAS RIGHT AND I THOUGHT HE PLAYED IT PERFECTLY ---LET ME TELL YOU DANIEL IS NOT THAT GREAT OF A PLAYER SLIGHTLY OVERATED --HE SAYS HIS PLAY WAS WRONG BUT SAYS THAT HIS PLAY WITH 45 WAS RIGHT---GIVEME A BREAK MAN ---THEY BOTH WENT OVER THE TOP--ONE WENT OVER THE TOP WITH THE BEST HAND THE OHTER WITH A SHT HAND ---NO DISRESPECT THE MAN MAKES A LIVING PLAYING BUT WNE HE CLAIMS THATS HIS BEST --GIV EME A BREAK
unnecessary ego boost.plenty of people suggested calling.should they all get congraulatory posts?
I pretty much get along with everyone on this forum. I'm suprised by that comment. Smash would probably be the first one to tell you that I play higher stakes poker than he does. In addition I would venture to say that I play more live tournaments than he does as well.I'm not in the habit of giving anyone an unnessary ego boost. But, in this instance, his analysis seemed to be more in line with one of, if not THE most successful tournament players in the last several years. I thought I made it pretty clear that I was under the impression that Smash was the FIRST to recognize the altarnate play. I'm generally a very mellow guy, but your response rubbed me the wrong way.
Guest Anonymous
the idiot makes his triumphant return :wall:
STATE MY OPINION THE WAY I SEE IT I DO VERY WELL IN REAL LIFE ADND ONLINE. Kurt played it perfectly i would have done the same . But Daniel plays 45 abd says he should wait for a safer hand when he goes allin with 5 high. How much of a hypoicrite can you be? As an educator of children i hate that. Tell a man one thing but do the other. Look no disrepect i like reading on here not for anyones sake but my own. If Phil Ivey or CHip Reese had a good chat room i would go there. This is funny to read and actually sometimes moronic but to each is own.