I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm quitting TV and movies (theatres and rentals excluded). Sports don't count either. It's already really hard, Seinfeld's on and I have nothing to do for a couple hours. We'll see how long it lasts. Anyone tried this before?

This will change your life. You will find out one of two things:1. You wasted so much time watching TV. Now you're more productive than you ever imagined. Look out Nobel Prize.2. Your life is totally empty without TV. You are the biggest loser on Earth.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm quitting TV and movies (theatres and rentals excluded). Sports don't count either. It's already really hard, Seinfeld's on and I have nothing to do for a couple hours. We'll see how long it lasts. Anyone tried this before?
When I lived alone I didn't have a TV plugged in. It wasn't a test or an experiment; I just didn't watch TV. I have to admit that I have a dependence on the Internet now, though.
This will change your life. You will find out one of two things:1. You wasted so much time watching TV. Now you're more productive than you ever imagined. Look out Nobel Prize.2. Your life is totally empty without TV. You are the biggest loser on Earth.
That's exactly right, maybe except for the Nobe Prize part. 1 day down, so far so good, and I have to admit I got a lot done today.
Um...why?
Basically I felt like I was wasting far too much time watching TV, and could have been doing better (more productive) things. I decided I will allow myself to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it starts, it's way too good not to.

But...how will you know what number to call to buy that pancake puff pan and how will you know what to say to the operator to get the upgrade which includes 50 flipping sticks???Ha! Riddle me THAT, Batman!

Basically I felt like I was wasting far too much time watching TV, and could have been doing better (more productive) things. I decided I will allow myself to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it starts, it's way too good not to.
Good choice with Curb. So what productive things have you been doing?
Good choice with Curb. So what productive things have you been doing?
I worked it out for the first time since I moved. Built a piece of furniture. Talked to a friend I've been meaning to talk to for awhile. Bought an early Christmas present for someone. Made plans for Thursday night of which probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't make the phone call.I'm kind of struggling right now though, because I'm waiting for the USA game to start and have nothing to do for 4 hours, and can't really think of anything to do.

While I've never actually gotten rid of the TV completely, I did get rid of cable. I dont think I'll ever go back to it. After a while, I realized how disturbing alot of programs actually are. That really applies to the 24 news stations. I think I'm better informed about things by just watching the national/local network news. At least in the down time, I actually have time to think about what I just saw.I've actually considered getting rid of the TV, the internet connection, and cell phone just to see what would happen. Going completely off the grid. I keep chickening out. Problem is they all have good practical uses but can be massive time wasters.

I worked it out for the first time since I moved. Built a piece of furniture. Talked to a friend I've been meaning to talk to for awhile. Bought an early Christmas present for someone. Made plans for Thursday night of which probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't make the phone call.I'm kind of struggling right now though, because I'm waiting for the USA game to start and have nothing to do for 4 hours, and can't really think of anything to do.
Are you going to be able to remember where this Christmas present is when it finally is Christmas?
While I've never actually gotten rid of the TV completely, I did get rid of cable. I dont think I'll ever go back to it. After a while, I realized how disturbing alot of programs actually are. That really applies to the 24 news stations. I think I'm better informed about things by just watching the national/local network news. At least in the down time, I actually have time to think about what I just saw.I've actually considered getting rid of the TV, the internet connection, and cell phone just to see what would happen. Going completely off the grid. I keep chickening out. Problem is they all have good practical uses but can be massive time wasters.
Same boat. I've always wanted to get rid of everything, but just never have. Maybe the tv is the first step.
It's called a DVR or Tivo buddy :club: .... Ever since I got my DVR, I basically only watch shows that I have recorded. Plus you can watch on your own schedule. Fast forward through all the commercials and save 20 minutes for every hour of TV watching.
Plus you can watch on your own schedule.
That's the whole point, I don't need to be watching TV on my schedule.Also, DVR can add hours to your viewing. Record more shows because you can, and you end up watching more than you would have. It's like going into a store to buy a shirt, and finding out there's a buy 2 get one free special, so now you buy another shirt and get a third for free. Yes, you got more shirts, and yes, you got better value for your money, but you also spent more money.

I currently don't have cable or internet at my new place (been living there about a month) and haven't missed them as much as I thought. The one major thing I've noticed is I get to sleep a lot earlier. I used to get home at 10-11 from somewhere and sit on AIM and FCP, next thing I knew, it was 1-2am. Or lay down and turn on something that I get into and stay up until 1-2 watching it for no reason. Now, I get home at 10-11, go to bed, and sleeping in <1/2 hour.btw, I do go to my buddy's places to watch Weeds, Californication, and Entourage.

I currently don't have cable or internet at my new place (been living there about a month) and haven't missed them as much as I thought. The one major thing I've noticed is I get to sleep a lot earlier. I used to get home at 10-11 from somewhere and sit on AIM and FCP, next thing I knew, it was 1-2am. Or lay down and turn on something that I get into and stay up until 1-2 watching it for no reason. Now, I get home at 10-11, go to bed, and sleeping in <1/2 hour.btw, I do go to my buddy's places to watch Weeds, Californication, and Entourage.
You're absolutely right. I've been much more well-rested since I started.
  • 4 years later...