Official High Stakes Poker Thread

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed with whoever was saying that last few weeks haven't been the best episodes, but im with phoenix on looking forward to next week's 500k buyini also remember seeing Guy at a WPT final table playing really LAG so im expecting that same style

I think the argument of online vs live does'nt hold much water. Being a great online player requires a lot of skill in the game of poker and obviously that will help when playing live. Playing in a live game though has a few more skills thrown in that you cant learn online and those skills tend to be underrated by strictly online players probably because for whatever reason they lack a lot of them. Some really great live players may not be technically as sound as the internet stars but some of the other skills can compensate and overcome that and therefore they are making plays that may seem -EV but can be made profitable by reading abilities. The best online players should have an edge playing really good live players online, and vice versa the best Live players have an edge playing the best internet players live, but the whole internet vs. live debate is getting old IMO both sets of players are great in there arena. I think though it may be easier for a great Internet player to become a great live player than a great live player (who only plays live) becoming a great internet player.

Although he's a bit too arrogant which i guess is expected, i kind of agree with Galfond.I still think it's a good show, but i think the standard of play has been poor and i don't think reckless gambling and blatant bad plays are fun to watch anym,ore.

I think the argument of online vs live does'nt hold much water. Being a great online player requires a lot of skill in the game of poker and obviously that will help when playing live. Playing in a live game though has a few more skills thrown in that you cant learn online and those skills tend to be underrated by strictly online players probably because for whatever reason they lack a lot of them. Some really great live players may not be technically as sound as the internet stars but some of the other skills can compensate and overcome that and therefore they are making plays that may seem -EV but can be made profitable by reading abilities. The best online players should have an edge playing really good live players online, and vice versa the best Live players have an edge playing the best internet players live, but the whole internet vs. live debate is getting old IMO both sets of players are great in there arena. I think though it may be easier for a great Internet player to become a great live player than a great live player (who only plays live) becoming a great internet player.
i agree with most of this but it should be said that there are some really bad/-ev plays being made by some of the big "live" names on this show that aren't part of a greater scheme or anything
i agree with most of this but it should be said that there are some really bad/-ev plays being made by some of the big "live" names on this show that aren't part of a greater scheme or anything
Oh I agree with that, my post was more a general one of good online players vs. good live players. By no means am I trying to defend some of the plays being made on HSP by some of the live names as of late. I don't think Galfond was playing that bad, sure he made a bad fold with QQ and obviously with the T7 but playing a solid winning strategy vs. one that the producers of HSP would like you to play are completely different.
Oh I agree with that, my post was more a general one of good online players vs. good live players. By no means am I trying to defend some of the plays being made on HSP by some of the live names as of late. I don't think Galfond was playing that bad, sure he made a bad fold with QQ and obviously with the T7 but playing a solid winning strategy vs. one that the producers of HSP would like you to play are completely different.
Do you think we will still see some of the same style of play with the higher buy-in next week?
I think Phil G's main problem wasn't as much the way he was playing but the lack of any personality showing. Whether he is quiet by nature or didn't feel comfortable jumping in with all those strong personalities the result was somebody who looked uncomfortable in those surroundings and was boring.I'm not advocating forcing things and coming across like an idiot as many people have on televised tournaments, if he would have just got involved in some of the conversation at the table and tried to be part of the "show" it would have gone a long way.
I think Phil G's main problem wasn't as much the way he was playing but the lack of any personality showing. Whether he is quiet by nature or didn't feel comfortable jumping in with all those strong personalities the result was somebody who looked uncomfortable in those surroundings and was boring.I'm not advocating forcing things and coming across like an idiot as many people have on televised tournaments, if he would have just got involved in some of the conversation at the table and tried to be part of the "show" it would have gone a long way.
I agree, who wants to watch some nitty unknown (to the general public) who does'nt talk? I mean he really is'nt offering anything from the shows perspective at all. Although I can imagine it he may have been nervous and may have opened up if he had the chance to play another day, but from the perspective of the producers why shoud they gamble when they know they have star power waiting to jump in the game. Although last year I thought Townsend was great for the show, he played with no fear and stayed aggressive throughout the taping. In contrast to Galfond he did offer something as his level of play appeared to be very advanced and he showed that. He was'nt talking a ton but he was'nt a mute either I really would have liked to see him back.
Would you consider Brandon Adams in the same boat then?
I agree, who wants to watch some nitty unknown (to the general public) who does'nt talk? I mean he really is'nt offering anything from the shows perspective at all. Although I can imagine it he may have been nervous and may have opened up if he had the chance to play another day, but from the perspective of the producers why shoud they gamble when they know they have star power waiting to jump in the game. Although last year I thought Townsend was great for the show, he played with no fear and stayed aggressive throughout the taping. In contrast to Galfond he did offer something as his level of play appeared to be very advanced and he showed that. He was'nt talking a ton but he was'nt a mute either I really would have liked to see him back.
I agree, I was surprised that he wasn't invited back as I thought he showed enough ( from the entertainment side ) to deserve another invitation.
Do you think we will still see some of the same style of play with the higher buy-in next week?
If you see Farha in a game there most likely is going to be action, if you see Farha losing in a game strap on your seatbelt. Hard to tell though, because when you have 500k stacks the implied odds are huge on every hand and that goes both ways. If you get the right guys on tilt (Farha as always) I think you'll see the chips flying.
Would you consider Brandon Adams in the same boat then?
Yes, to a certain extent I would agree but Brandon Adams did play a bit more open than Galfond did and was involved a little more in the conversation. Also, Adams to my knowledge hasn't publically complained about anything to do with the show.
I'm glad someone good at poker has said this.High stakes poker should be the best players playing their best for a shitload of money.It's turned into stupidly rich people gambling and having a joke, i think it loses value because everyone is too rich and doesn't seem to care whteher they win or lose.
I'm glad someone good at poker has said this.High stakes poker should be the best players playing their best for a shitload of money.It's turned into stupidly rich people gambling and having a joke, i think it loses value because everyone is too rich and doesn't seem to care whteher they win or lose.
I agree with the point about there being a lot of bad poker being played.I disagree with your point that the show should be about trying to find who the best NL Holdem player is. The idea behind the show is to provide entertainment and to show what a live high stakes game looks like to the viewers. The players don't want to play in a game that doesn't have some "soft" spots in it. Nosebleed high stakes games don't get started without some soft spots in them usually. Also the game would be much less interesting to watch even for the sophisticated viewer if it were only the top players. I remember Daniel telling me that last year when one of the tables he was on had no soft spots that he had to tighten right up and play very few hands because of the table makeup at that time.

Wow is Jamie gold bad or what, Im thinking he's probably missed like 200k in value over the last couple of episodes only, checking the k7 hand, Aq river check in position vs Sammy and insta checking the straight..Also even though Galfond really adds no entertainment value his k9 hand was still by far the best played hand in this episode, it would have been nice to see him mix it up..Can't wait for next week.

I remember Daniel telling me that last year when one of the tables he was on had no soft spots that he had to tighten right up and play very few hands because of the table makeup at that time.
I know he said this, but the last few episodes of last season with the tough table were still far better Tv than any episodes this season so far.
I agree with the point about there being a lot of bad poker being played.I disagree with your point that the show should be about trying to find who the best NL Holdem player is. The idea behind the show is to provide entertainment and to show what a live high stakes game looks like to the viewers. The players don't want to play in a game that doesn't have some "soft" spots in it. Nosebleed high stakes games don't get started without some soft spots in them usually. Also the game would be much less interesting to watch even for the sophisticated viewer if it were only the top players. I remember Daniel telling me that last year when one of the tables he was on had no soft spots that he had to tighten right up and play very few hands because of the table makeup at that time.
I don't think it should be about finding the best player or that it shouldn't have some donkeys in.In a perfect world, HSP would be the big game televised IMO, i am aware that the producers have a show to sell, but on the flip side i think a tighter game would be more enjoyable to watch.Are Daniel's thoughts on this season documented anywhere? I would be interested to hear his and the other pros thoughts on the show.
Wow is Jamie gold bad or what, Im thinking he's probably missed like 200k in value over the last couple of episodes only, checking the k7 hand, Aq river check in position vs Sammy and insta checking the straight..Also even though Galfond really adds no entertainment value his k9 hand was still by far the best played hand in this episode, it would have been nice to see him mix it up..Can't wait for next week.
It could be potentially really bad for him unless he adjusts. With the style he has played so far he becomes very exploitable if he is showing that he is only value betting on the turn and river with monsters.

I think I represent the general public, because I love watching Sammy, Eli, Jamie Gold, and all of the other nutjob players. They make a lot of "creative" plays that literally make me laugh. They constantly needle each other and take crazy gambles with each other. And it's not all-in fests like tournaments, it's players floating OOP and c/r'ing with air. It's things like the 2-7 game getting players to make an 80k min-raise to earn the extra 500 from the other players and the extra respect. When I watch poker on TV, I'm not watching so I can learn, I'm watching so I can be entertained. I felt like the tough table that DN was talking about (the one from last season w/ all the young players) was one of the most boring tables they've ever had. Partly because there weren't any ridiculous gambles, and also partly because there wasn't as much history between the players. The "regulars" on HSP all have a lot of history and play together often, which makes for consistent characters and consistent storylines that the audience can follow. This is a HUGE factor in player selection, and for good reason.

It could be potentially really bad for him unless he adjusts. With the style he has played so far he becomes very exploitable if he is showing that he is only value betting on the turn and river with monsters.
He also makes those bets on the river with nothing. That's why he's tough to read and can get people to lay down hands. The way he plays, he always has a pretty wide range of hands, and that's difficult to play against. I think this season he showed he is definitely getting better, and he definitely has a unique style.
I think I represent the general public, because I love watching Sammy, Eli, Jamie Gold, and all of the other nutjob players. They make a lot of "creative" plays that literally make me laugh. They constantly needle each other and take crazy gambles with each other. And it's not all-in fests like tournaments, it's players floating OOP and c/r'ing with air. It's things like the 2-7 game getting players to make an 80k min-raise to earn the extra 500 from the other players and the extra respect. When I watch poker on TV, I'm not watching so I can learn, I'm watching so I can be entertained. I felt like the tough table that DN was talking about (the one from last season w/ all the young players) was one of the most boring tables they've ever had. Partly because there weren't any ridiculous gambles, and also partly because there wasn't as much history between the players. The "regulars" on HSP all have a lot of history and play together often, which makes for consistent characters and consistent storylines that the audience can follow. This is a HUGE factor in player selection, and for good reason.
I don't see what's interesting about players making intentional -EV moves because "They want to gamble".I don't turn on HSP with the intent of becoming a better player, i watch it to be entertained, and i'm entertained by watching poker where people have to make tough decisions in difficult situations in a realistic game enviroment.I don't think HSP is that anymore.
He appeared in a couple of episodes of "cash poker", a similar kinda thing, but smaller stakes. He acted exactly the same then, I think it's just his style.
He also makes those bets on the river with nothing. That's why he's tough to read and can get people to lay down hands. The way he plays, he always has a pretty wide range of hands, and that's difficult to play against. I think this season he showed he is definitely getting better, and he definitely has a unique style.
No, because he is showing down hands like top pair etc and not value betting with them on the end it will be easy to figure out hes betting on the end with monsters or bluffing and obviously there are way more opportunities to bet on the end with nada then with a monster so he will get called more often and will either have to start value betting a little thiner more often or start bluffing less or he will lose money in the long run if his opponents are perceptive.
I felt like the tough table that DN was talking about (the one from last season w/ all the young players) was one of the most boring tables they've ever had.
They would have to be some of my favourite episodes of HSP