• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I've been gone from online poker for 10 months. Anybody want to give me a quick rundown on changes if any? Deposit methods change? Best sites to play?I'm giving some serious thought as to attempting to play poker for a living, since it will be difficult for me to get a job AND not catch flack at the office due to my computer felony. So any help/advice from the pros who wander though here is appreciated. I spent most of my lockup studying Sklansky and Harrington.

What do you need to make a month? Prob would benefit you to get a coach of some sort in exchange for staking. You'll sacrifice in the short run by probably earning less than you would on your own, but after like 3 months it'll way more than pay itself off and accelerate your learning curve a ton.FWIW I'm not pimping myself out as a coach, I doubt I'd be very beneficial but the coaches I've had have been great. Otherwise poker sucks and if you are gonna try and grind it on your own, make sure you have rakeback and go through absolute because of the awesome rakeback and the ridic frequent reload bonuses, so you can always whore money. Make sure you have some kind of tracking software too obv, if for no other reason that to post your brag graphs.

I'm not setting my goals ridiculously high. I'd need to pull about 30k a year... so 2.5k a month average.I'll take the poker coaching thing under advisement, but I doubt any sensible coach would stake someone on such strict parole, because the odds of me getting locked up on dumbshit are high (though I'm doing my damdest to keep it otherwise), which makes staking me tremendously -EVI've never played on absolute before... and also never had any decent bonuses or rakeback... so I will definitely switch over as soon as my new VISA gets in.Also this:DEaFeYe: Child PredatorYeah I'm back to song spamming

The players on AP are miserable and so much easier to crush than other sites, IMO. However beware the company's business practices. With its reputation, AP is always in danger, I think, of disappearing off the map or freezing accounts. I don't really trust it. I've also had sporadic difficulty withdrawing. Nevertheless you can't find softer competition.In general, the games are tougher now, which means that more regulars have become positionally aware, have adopted a TAG style, and play more aggressively preflop. Of course these traits can all be exploited (even the first one), but opportunities to do so are less common than those to exploit weak-tight or loose passive players (where every hand, basically, is an exercise in profit).

LOL. I hope you were asking $50nl or $100nl.Been playing HU the past few months, I play all $200nl right now and probably for the long foreseeable future. I need to make enough to get off my stake, then I'll be at $200nl probably for awhile cuz I'm fairly sure I'm quitting my teaching job in a few weeks and if I don't I almost certainly will come next June. So I won't be able to just pad the roll cuz I'll be taking a substantial amount out each month.I only lost $1200 but it tilted me. Ima hafta learn to deal with those swings 6BI isn't a huge deal in the big picture. Anyways got 5 of em back today :club:

Yea I was...I know you coach and shit but I don't exactly place you in the poker stratosphere just yet.HU seems to be what everyone plays today, and they kill it for ridiculous winrates over huge samples. I guess I could try it.

Here's two hands from today against the same villain....No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (2 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (Button) ($529.10)SB ($203.50)Preflop: Hero is Button with Kspade.gif, Aspade.gifHero bets $5, SB raises $14, Hero raises $42, SB calls $32Flop: ($96) 4heart.gif, 3heart.gif, 5diamond.gif(2 players)SB checks, Hero bets $56, SB raises $155.50 (All-In), Hero calls $99.50Turn: ($407) Qdiamond.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)River: ($407) 6heart.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: $407Results:Hero had Kspade.gif, Aspade.gif (high card, Ace).SB had Kdiamond.gif, Qspade.gif (one pair, Queens).Outcome: SB won $406.50

No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (2 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (SB) ($325.60)Button ($406.50)Preflop: Hero is SB with Qclub.gif, Qspade.gifButton bets $5, Hero raises $20, Button calls $16Flop: ($44) 3spade.gif, 6heart.gif, 4club.gif(2 players)Hero bets $24, Button calls $24Turn: ($92) Kclub.gif(2 players)Hero bets $46, Button calls $46River: ($184) 4diamond.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $108, Hero calls $108Total pot: $400Results:Button had 2heart.gif, 4heart.gif (three of a kind, fours).Hero had Qclub.gif, Qspade.gif (two pair, Queens and fours).Outcome: Button won $399.50

In HU land isn't hand 1 standard w/the two overs and GSD? I know from reading 2+2 that everyone's kind of crazy and spewtastic, and it seems like a solid fundamentally sound approach could do really well.Nh h2

Now that shit looks ridic and horrible and obv it is, but those are hands from today, the day in which I won! Just kinda shows how bad people are, this was the same villain both times and luckily for me he stayed and played and I took $400 from him, but HU takes awhile to get used to.It's much more personal than 6max and your emotions can make you go crazy. The biggest adjustment for me (besides having someone coach me) was being confident that what I was doing was profitable. Cuz like when you're getting god-moded you feel like you suck and need to just 5bet shove all in or some shit. But once I had confidence in my style I got less fearful of being the worst and whatnot.FTR I don't coach anymore, I think I took it on too early and need to learn a few more things plus make more mobnies on my own. Hopefully by Sept or something I'll feel better about things and look for students, but it's tougher than I thought it would be.

You're a teacher man it should come natural to you. One on one interaction >>>>>>>>>>> 25 dopey unmotivated freshmenI think my problem w/ HU is that I like to observe how my opponents play against each other. This helps me to gain confidence in my reads; for example I can judge whether villain is a spewmonkey in general or if he, for some reason, is trying to play back at me. I also like to take some hands off when I feel the tilt coming...so I can avoid a marginal situation if I've just lost a big pot. HU you can't escape. Plus I hate the idea of being hit and run by some donk and then steaming. But then I see players like Acid Knight and Jordan, who are obviously good at poker in general, rip and destroy NLHE HU for a ton, ton of money.

Wish I had unmotivated freshman, I got unmotivated 7th and 8th graders!All the stuff you said about HU is true and sucks. Getting hit n run is lame and I note that shit and don't play them again. It's just part of the territory. Emotional control is huge too, all the good HU players I know get pissed about stuff when you are chatting to them and so do I, they just don't let it affect their actual play.My whole HU game is avoiding marginal spots though, like I don't get in a lot of pf wars and stuff like that, we play flops when I'm in position and I react to the stats and tendencies they have and try to find their holes. HU is such unchartered territories though and there are so many bad players that it's really difficult to know what strat is best. I know for a fact that me and another kid getting coached by two different respected posters are learning almost opposite things! I play very very stat oriented which is different than I ever had before, I look at my stats wayyyyyyy more than I ever did for 6max and I note my balls off. I think just venturing out and trying to play HU without someone teaching you is probably really difficult. I know I couldn't do it, but in general I'm a very slow learner in poker. Basically every thing I do I learned from someone and haven't figured out anything on my own. I'm sure there are other people with more natural talent that don't need help, but I am not one of em. It's so much easier if someone sits and tells me what and why to do things, trying to figure that shit out on my own was frustrating and had me running in circles. For me there was only so long I could say "I want to learn this on my own and say I brought myself from $25nl to $X" I got stuck at $50nl and $100nl for a long time and I had so many leaks that tons of decent regs had and I didn't know it at all until I got coached.

My cousin teaches 8th grade and the similarities between his students and mine in college are remarkable. Neither group understands English, neither respects education, and neither understands that "Global warming is a debated thing" is a terrible, terrible sentence.I'm the same way about poker lol and I just told antistuff that as he had helped me out w/some NL08. My poker strength is in control, perspective, and repeatibility. It's definitely not in creativity or development. I'm pretty bad, in general, at creating a winning strategy. The closest I've come to it was at 50nl recently where I realized that most of the "tough regs" were actually spewy timebombs. So I actually planned to make less moves than I normally would and it worked out just fine.I don't play there, though, as I'm trying to phase poker out of my life. I love theory and strategy, but playing has just become such a brutal grind that I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I feel way more satisfaction coaching a friend of mine who, having learned the rules of poker just 2 months ago, now beats 10nl for a respectable winrate.

Blech. You prob just need to find the right person to guide you a bit and make you a decently strong winner in games that mean something to you. Every one builds from the bottom. For me once I could consistently make 2k/month it was enough money not to sneeze at. As for tendencies of tough regs, one of my biggest leaks when I was playing on my own was trying to figure out how to beat the regs at my limit. It's a common mistake and makes sense. You play regs all the time, you should try and devise a plan to beat them! But it's pretty flawed, regs are regs because they play to win. Once I stopped trying to win money from regs and focused on winning money from the bad players my winrate sky rocketed. That was a small adjustment that brought huge results. Reg 3bets me? So the eff what, let him have it, I'm making my money from fish, not getting in reg wars.

Yeah I'm the same way, not getting into the ego / leveling wars that everyone else seems to. I read 2+2 strat a lot and it's constant spew by aggroTAGs who don't really understand that you shouldn't run major bluffs until you know something about your opponent.When I moved, I got a new IP and a new SN w/RB on AP, and I started to build a bankroll seriously. I maintained a solid winrate, cashing out periodically, but when grinding I began to appreciate the amount of hands and hours required to overcome variance, and the thought of another 20k hands bores me to tears. I did have one lapse of self-destruction when I took a shot at 200nl and ran like trash. I guess the thing for me to do is to just deposit like $4k and play for serious money, so I don't mind grinding, but that's not happening until 1) I get better income and 2) poker sites gain some credibility. The latest account freezes make me hesitate to deposit anything. Losing money that's been freerolled is one thing...How much volume do you log to make 2k per month?

When I was playing 6max on stars I was playing like 30-50k hands at $100nl cuz I could play 12-15 tables. HU I play only two tables at a time because I hafta think a lot and I don't feel like doing stupid shit at 3x the rate that I should. My goal was 20k hands this month, my result is going to be like 12k. If I only make 2k this month I'll cry. My goal for month profit was an unrealistic 12k, but a more reasonable 6k was the low end expectation. I'm way below both :club: If I don't have a 6k month in July I might be suicidal.

I know it's very common, but managing 10+ tables baffles me. I have trouble w/6...maybe I'm just poker retarded, but I cannot keep track of all the different situations. It does make playing good, solid poker easier, though, knowing that I can just find a game 46 pixels to the right.What's your HU winrate if you don't mind me asking ? I see some ridiculous numbers in PTR over pretty large samples. In 6max I have a good idea of what's sustainable and what isn't (and those figures in BBV are not!).

It's around 12BB/100 at $100max and right around 9-11BB/100 at $200nl. I haven't played enough hands at either to have a really good idea though. I think people are starting to care less and less about BB/100 and more about either monthly profit or hourly winrate. I think both of those are more important.Like if you play 12-15 tables and your bb/100 drops but your hourly goes up $10/hr it's a no brainer what to do.

I know it's very common, but managing 10+ tables baffles me. I have trouble w/6...maybe I'm just poker retarded, but I cannot keep track of all the different situations. It does make playing good, solid poker easier, though, knowing that I can just find a game 46 pixels to the right.What's your HU winrate if you don't mind me asking ? I see some ridiculous numbers in PTR over pretty large samples. In 6max I have a good idea of what's sustainable and what isn't (and those figures in BBV are not!).
Believe it or not, what helped me learn how to do this was playing chess. In chess you have to think at least 4 to 5 moves ahead to be anywhere near decent. Since this is the case, you learn to look at a board and figure out where it's going just by visualization.When multitabling, I don't actually *watch* all 10+ tables at the same time. I let the windows just pop up as I need to act on them, and I can look at pot size, my hand, and stacks and fairly quickly figure out how I most likely got in that situation, since I'm able to visualize by looking at the board.Just me though... they are 2 completely different games... chess is a game of complete information, poker is a game of missing information.

I think you guys missed the fact that this is a low content thread. =)Nice to see it coming back to life though.

I was a BAW member and a NL Cash regular up until 10 months ago when I was locked up... I was on bail so the oldheads know the story somewhat
wow it's been a while since I've visited the NL forum. Good to hear you're out. What a shitty situation.