If that's true, then why is Starcraft still being sold like a decade and a half after its initial release? :ts
:club: And it's still played professionally in Korea and is still one of the most prestigious World Cyber Games events to win.
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wireless live connector is something like 75-100 dollar but I think that is likely to come down around or following the holidays. You can probably get one fairly inexpensive currently on Ebay.
I don't know how reliable xbox wireless is, but a decent alternative is a "homeplug" - allows you to plug your xbox connection into the mains power http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/XBOX_360.html I haven't used these for an xbox, but for pc networking it is far superior to wireless (more secure, faster).

A man walks into an office.Man: Good morning, I'd like to have an argument, please.Receptionist: Certainly, sir. Have you been here before?Man: No, this is my first time.Receptionist: I see, well we'll see who's free at themoment.Mr. Bakely's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory. No. TryMr. Barnhart, room 12.Man: Thank you.He enters room 12.Angry man: WHADDAYOU WANT?Man: Well, Well, I was told outside that...Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROTDROPPINGS!Man: What?A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES MEPUKE!YOU VACUOUS STUFFY-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!M: Oh! Oh I see!A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.M: Oh...Sorry...A: Not at all!A: (under his breath) stupid git.The man goes into room 12A. Another man is sitting behind adesk.Man: Is this the right room for an argument?Other Man:(pause) I've told you once.Man: No you haven't!Other Man: Yes I have.M: When?O: Just now.M: No you didn't!O: Yes I did!M: You didn't!O: I did!M: You didn't!O: I'm telling you, I did!M: You didn't!O: (breaking into the developing argument) Oh I'm sorry, is thisa five minute argument, or the full half hour?M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the fiveminutes.O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.Anyway, I did.M: You most certainly did not!O: Now let's get one thing perfectly clear: I most definitelytold you!M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did!M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did!M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did!M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did!M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did! (very fast)M: Oh no you didn't!O: Oh yes I did!M: No you DIDN'T!O: Oh yes I did!M: No you DIDN'T!O: Oh yes I did!M: No you DIDN'T!O: Oh yes I did!M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!(pause)O: Yes it is!M: No it isn't!(pause)M: It's just contradiction!O: No it isn't!M: It IS!O: It is NOT!M: You just contradicted me!O: No I didn't!M: You DID!O: No no no!M: You did just then!O: Nonsense!M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!(pause)O: No it isn't!M: Yes it is!(pause)I came here for a good argument!O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an *argument*!M: An argument isn't just contradiction.O: Well! it CAN be!M: No it can't!An argument is a connected series of statement intended toestablish a proposition.O: No it isn't!M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contraryposition!M: Yes but it isn't just saying "no it isn't".O: Yes it is!M: No it isn't!O: Yes it is!M: No it isn't!O: Yes it is!M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process.Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything theother person says.O: It is NOT!M: It is!O: Not at all!M: It is!>DING!< The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.O: Thank you, that's it.M: (stunned) What?O: That's it. Good morning.M: But I was just getting interested!O: I'm sorry, the five minutes is up.M: That was never five minutes!!O: I'm afraid it was.M: (leading on) No it wasn't.....(pause)O: (dirty look) I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue anymore.M: WHAT??O: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay foranother five minutes.M: But that was never five minutes just now!(pause... the Other Man raises his eyebrows)Oh Come on!Oh this is...This is ridiculous!O: I told you...I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you PAY!M: Oh all right. (takes out his wallet and pays again.)There you are.O: Thank you.M: (clears throat) Well...O: Well WHAT?M: That was never five minutes just now.O: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!M: Well I just paid!O: No you didn't!M: I DID!!!O: YOU didn't!M: I DID!!!O: YOU didn't!M: I DID!!!O: YOU didn't!M: I DID!!!O: YOU didn't!M: (unable to talk straight he's so mad) I don't want to argueabout it!O: Well I'm very sorry but you didn't pay!M: Ah HAH!! Well if I didn't pay, why are you arguing???Ah HAAAAAAHHH! Gotcha!O: (pause) No you haven't!M: Yes I have!If you're arguing, I must have paid.O: Not necessarily.I *could* be arguing in my spare time.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

Just figured I'd add another two cents.**FABLE II POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING**For Fable II, I did pretty much all of the sidequests aside from the demon doors and the gargoyles. As for the multiple endings, I found out on my first playthrough that you can just save right before the ending and choose between the three "different" ones. It pissed me off that there wasn't really a tough boss to beat, and the ending is pretty much the fantasy land random crap. I also bought pretty much every piece of real estate on my first playthrough, and so I pretty much had millions of money at any point. Everything was easy to get after like, the first real estate purchase. You didn't really have to "earn" new gear, etc.. So that was a let down.Even for the sidequests.. theyre all pretty much the same. Go and explore a dungeon/vanquish enemies, find an item, bring it back. Meh.Fallout 3 WILL be game of the year, there's really no question. I played oblivion and the expansions for hours and hours, and its awesome. This game just blows oblivion away IMO. VATS never really gets boring and the graphics in the game are stunning. Plus, the amount of ways which you can build your character are essentially limitless, and each build requires different strategies in-game. That's what makes the replay value so high. Plus, the sidequests in this game aren't just a little two minute sidetrack from the main story. They often take over an hour themselves, and there are many different ways you can complete those as well. It blows Fable II out of the water in terms of replay value. Fable II also gave the quasi-illusion of choice in your character development... But after you get enough exp, your character pretty much has the same qualities as any other "build".Fallout 3 >>>> Fable II, AINEC.As for FF10, I enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed the sports game (with the ball in the water, forget the name), as well as capturing monsters and fighting the super-ones that you unlock. Kinda like FF7 w/ ruby and diamond weapons.. Really made the game much better. FF12 blew my mind. After I figured out the gambits system much better on my second playthrough, it made the game much cooler. The hunts are also the "sidequests" that really make the game challenging and fun as well.Diablo II.. don't get me started. I started that game like 5-6 years ago and always return to it for one reason or another. I made a sick summoning necro, a hammerdin, and a smiteadin that solo'd d-clone at level 82 in a game that I made with my necromancer. I can't wait for D3 to come out.I also played CS for a long time (before D2), and actually made it quite "high" in the competitive world. I played for a bunch of LAN teams in colorado, as well as online teams that got as high up as CAL-M (for those of you who know what that was). My fav. LAN team was Forbidden, who made the switch to source right when it came out. I ended up getting "hired" by a guy named Jason Powers for a team called PowersGaming for season one of source. We lost to forbidden in the semifinals of the first league season, lol. PowersGaming went on to win the first CPL (giant LAN for top players) for source though, so that was cool.High school was fun w/ CS. I got a bunch of equipment from being on LAN teams w/ sponsors (Razor sponsored forbidden, bought me a PC as well as some cool mouses/equip), and Jason powers actually payed me $125/match that I played for the team./end super long post*EDITI actually still have my copy of FF7, FF8, and FF9. However, my PS2 memory card won't let me save files from PS1 games on it. I also have a PS1 memory card, but the PS2 doesnt recognize that either. I tried turning the console on w/ no game to format the cards or something, but that doesnt work. Any ideas? What memory card will work for PS2 that allows me to save PS1 game files?

Just figured I'd add another two cents.**FABLE II POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING**For Fable II, I did pretty much all of the sidequests aside from the demon doors and the gargoyles. As for the multiple endings, I found out on my first playthrough that you can just save right before the ending and choose between the three "different" ones. It pissed me off that there wasn't really a tough boss to beat, and the ending is pretty much the fantasy land random crap. I also bought pretty much every piece of real estate on my first playthrough, and so I pretty much had millions of money at any point. Everything was easy to get after like, the first real estate purchase. You didn't really have to "earn" new gear, etc.. So that was a let down.Even for the sidequests.. theyre all pretty much the same. Go and explore a dungeon/vanquish enemies, find an item, bring it back. Meh.
*More Spoliers for Fable 2*The best thing about the game is that at the end if you don't kill Lucien yourself, Reaver, the Hero of Skill, will shoot him for you. Actually, wait, that's the worst thing. Where the **** are the bosses in that game? That kind of annoyed me. Farrrrrr too easy to beat.
Fallout 3 WILL be game of the year, there's really no question. I played oblivion and the expansions for hours and hours, and its awesome. This game just blows oblivion away IMO. VATS never really gets boring and the graphics in the game are stunning. Plus, the amount of ways which you can build your character are essentially limitless, and each build requires different strategies in-game. That's what makes the replay value so high. Plus, the sidequests in this game aren't just a little two minute sidetrack from the main story. They often take over an hour themselves, and there are many different ways you can complete those as well. It blows Fable II out of the water in terms of replay value. Fable II also gave the quasi-illusion of choice in your character development... But after you get enough exp, your character pretty much has the same qualities as any other "build".Fallout 3 >>>> Fable II, AINEC.
Indeed. Fallout borrowed a lot from Oblivion, but the thing they actually improved on is the scope. Oblivion (both in gameplay, storyline and actual size) was MASSIVE, but Fallout could possibly be even bigger...I really can't imagine another game even coming close to taking GOTY from Fallout.
As for FF10, I enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed the sports game (with the ball in the water, forget the name), as well as capturing monsters and fighting the super-ones that you unlock. Kinda like FF7 w/ ruby and diamond weapons.. Really made the game much better. FF12 blew my mind. After I figured out the gambits system much better on my second playthrough, it made the game much cooler. The hunts are also the "sidequests" that really make the game challenging and fun as well.
Ah yes, Blitzball. I think that was one of the things that really kept me playing FF10. Actually, at the same time, it may be the reason I never completed it. I spent so much time recruiting awesome players and kicking everyones ass that the story line bored me to tears whenever I went back to it and just turned around and started playing Blitzball more.Also, despite never finishing the game, I think Auron may have been the second most badass character in Final Fantasy history next to Sephiroth.
Diablo II.. don't get me started. I started that game like 5-6 years ago and always return to it for one reason or another. I made a sick summoning necro, a hammerdin, and a smiteadin that solo'd d-clone at level 82 in a game that I made with my necromancer. I can't wait for D3 to come out.I also played CS for a long time (before D2), and actually made it quite "high" in the competitive world. I played for a bunch of LAN teams in colorado, as well as online teams that got as high up as CAL-M (for those of you who know what that was). My fav. LAN team was Forbidden, who made the switch to source right when it came out. I ended up getting "hired" by a guy named Jason Powers for a team called PowersGaming for season one of source. We lost to forbidden in the semifinals of the first league season, lol. PowersGaming went on to win the first CPL (giant LAN for top players) for source though, so that was cool.High school was fun w/ CS. I got a bunch of equipment from being on LAN teams w/ sponsors (Razor sponsored forbidden, bought me a PC as well as some cool mouses/equip), and Jason powers actually payed me $125/match that I played for the team./end super long post
Sick.
I actually still have my copy of FF7, FF8, and FF9. However, my PS2 memory card won't let me save files from PS1 games on it. I also have a PS1 memory card, but the PS2 doesnt recognize that either. I tried turning the console on w/ no game to format the cards or something, but that doesnt work. Any ideas? What memory card will work for PS2 that allows me to save PS1 game files?
You have to use a PS1 Memory card for Ps1 games and a PS2 memory card for PS2 games. You can't cross them. If your PS1 memory card isn't being recognized, I suggest trying it in a friends console, and if that doesn't work, it's likely broken. You can buy a new one on ebay I'm sure.

Yeah, the game was easy. Especially since after you figure out how to make money, you can pretty much just buy infinite XP potions.. I maxed out every skill/ability/magic in my character with relative ease. After that, combat was kinda boring/easy.And yes, blitzball! I initially got into it cause I wanted Wakka's ultimate weapon. The game is ridic hard when you first start and your team sucks.. but after you get like, one good player, yeah.. Game is really addicting, and I finally got the weapon, which rocks. I really want to go back and play FF7 and 8 again, since I really have nothing better to do. I've got an old PS1 that's sitting in one of my drawers back at my parents house, so maybe I'll see if that still works to test my memory card.

If that's true, then why is Starcraft still being sold like a decade and a half after its initial release? :club:
As of a year or so ago (when I last checked), people were still developing for Total Annihilation, which came out before Starcraft, and it never had the sales/high profile of Starcraft.Everyone always raved about three races on Starcraft, but the units were so ridiculously limited. You had no water units and a tiny number of air units, which didn't even fly very high. Also, the physics/terrain/"3D" sucked. Total Annihilation had maps that would take 4 minutes to fly across with the fastest of jets. It only had two sides, but each side had like 80 different units that handled differently on the really wide variety of actual 3D terrain. If you sought out community developed expansions, you could up that different unit number to like 200 per side.
I'm pretty good at Galaga and Ms. Pac Man.
Galaga was a lot of fun on NES. Never got into the Pac series.
As of a year or so ago (when I last checked), people were still developing for Total Annihilation, which came out before Starcraft, and it never had the sales/high profile of Starcraft.Everyone always raved about three races on Starcraft, but the units were so ridiculously limited. You had no water units and a tiny number of air units, which didn't even fly very high. Also, the physics/terrain/"3D" sucked. Total Annihilation had maps that would take 4 minutes to fly across with the fastest of jets. It only had two sides, but each side had like 80 different units that handled differently on the really wide variety of actual 3D terrain. If you sought out community developed expansions, you could up that different unit number to like 200 per side.
Starcraft was so raved about because of the incredible precision it takes to make a 3 race game so balanced. Think about the incredible variety of units in Starcraft. While not having 80 different units, each unit for each race was completely different, but each unit served a distinct purpose and still kept the game completely balanced. With two races, it's much easier to keep the game balanced because you only face one opposition in every map. In Starcraft, the game was so much harder to keep balanced vs. this races unit while still keeping it in line with the other races unit and this strategy in line with this strategy, etc.There is a reason it is played professionally, even still today. Water units, btw, would have been pointless. Not only do a lot of maps not have water, but what use do you have for sea going units when you have both infini-levitating air units and air transports in a space aged game. There is a reason the Navy has been diminished in modern warfare. Air superiority > Water superiority.How exactly did the Physics/terrain/'3D' suck? If you had control of a high ground, you could see down cliffs that enemies could not see up without a flying unit, you faced a better chance of hitting units from high ground while units below ground lost chances to hit you, and you could block choke points with units on high ground to prevent enemy incursions. I've never played TA, but I've seen video and screens of it, and I really don't think you can bash Starcraft's graphics or 3D mapping in comparison.And I don't really know about 200 units per race. What would the point be? A lot of older and even some newer games add a bunch of pointless units that both make the games imbalanced as well as do nothing but add to the tech tree to give you a unit that is basically the same but is just a little faster, or a little stronger than another. I prefer a game where you have a small number of overall units that actually make a difference and have a usable purpose. I dislike games where they are just like, 'here is a plethora of units you can make but youll never use 90% of them because this unit does what it does only better or its just completely useless.'
I never played Total Annihilation but starcraft is my fav game of all time... going to check out the diablo 3 vids right now.
I used to LOVE total annihilation. I wonder if I still have the game somewhere. Hmm...

Poker "makes me so damn mad I don't know what to do" - tuff_fishLong whining post to follow...All this talk of gaming has made me want to buy a new computer, but the appropriate gaming experience will require 1) a decent chunk of change and 2) lots of time. So, it's either Fallout 3, and six thousand games of the past decade, or it's online poker. I decided to take a big shot ($25 nl player normally, $850 in my FTP account) at $1/$2 NL 6-max in a make or break move. I've never played that high online, so I figured it'd be a challenge, and the most I could lose was ~$450 if I limited myself to two buy-ins. I've NEVER been a gambler, or shot-taker, because I'm always terrified of running bad at the wrong time. I'm literally the biggest bankroll nit you'll ever meet; it took me forever to move from $10 to $25 (and I still play $10 occasionally when I'm feeling unfocused/etc). Well, Full Tilt undoubtedly detected something to be wrong; a $25 nl player jumping to $200 nl cannot be serious, can he? Does he truly expect to move through the ranks that quickly? Does he not understand the amount of rake he must generate while grinding out his marginal profit? What cockiness, what arrogance, to think he can earn more than $20 a week at this game. Side-note: It's cool to see people with like $600 in front of them, and you're competing for it. After the first orbit, I'm dealt QQ in the CO and I raise. Get 3-bet by the button, and I 4-bet. He instashoves and I have that dreaded feeling of poker sickness, telling myself that you cannot be drawing dead preflop...and I call. He flips over two red aces and I'm immediately down one-buyin. Wasn't even an exciting flop; no backdoor draws, just the dry ass 2T5r. Sweet, welcome to medium stakes.I notice that the game's "tough." Lots of folding, raising, three-betting. I consider practicing better table-selection, while folding KQo to yet another 3-bet, but my pride, stupidity, or whatever, won't let me. It's not even that easy to find other games, because at Full Tilt tons of $200 NL tables are empty or 5 max since they're reserved for some yahoo. To be honest it's not much worse than many $25 nl games filled with multi-tabling TAGs running 22/21/4. About 15 minutes in an interesting hand comes up...Kh7h in the BB, couple of limps, 4 see a Ac Th Qd board...turn is the Jh and 3-way we get it all in, and I think I'm freerolling until I see the $120 shortstack flip over Ah2h...yelling DON'T YOU DARE at the computer, ala tuff_fish, but I dodge the bullet and chop it with the small blind. I'm about ready to call it quits, like 25 minutes in, when I raise preflop with JJ UTG+1. The CO 3-bets me and we take a KsKcTc board. This situation certainly sucks, but he's kind of a bluff monster. In fact he's been 3-betting me quite a bit, and potting every street, all of the time, so I decide that I'm going to felt this hand. It's not the best spot in the world, but when someone 3-bets as much as this guy, he's not always holding a big pair or AK. I lead into him weakly, ~1/2 the pot, he predictably shoves, and I INSTACALL to see T8. NICE! Oh, is that a ten on the river? NOT SO NICE.In sum - run queens into aces, make the best play/call of my life and lose as a ~9-1 favorite.So now I'm GRINDING - as I SHOULD DO, RIGHT? - out a few tables of $25nl, with a stomach ache, having consumed tons of appetizers in Providence earlier tonight, awaiting my weekly rakeback so I can cash out of this mess. I'll see you all in another couple of months, whenever I begin craving online poker again, and if we're even able to deposit at that time. I'll probably leave like $50 online to play low-level mixed games, so I should lose that before tomorrow evening.

Sorry tryst.. Been there all too many times!So I bought Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution yesterday.. it's pure win. One of those games you can sit down for hours with and not get bored.

asdf
Sorry man. Hope you get the poker craving back soon!I learned the shot taking lesson the first few times I played online and decided that since I can beat live 200nl for a good winrate I could shot 50 and 100 with 200 and insta-build a roll. NOPE. It NEVER works. Like you, when I was playing 25nl comfortably ($700), I always was playing at least one 10nl table because I was so incredibly comfortable at those stakes and so new to 25nl. And now even that drove me into online retirement for a few months again because ISAP obv.
44cb4b91287cfcd8111d471867502a3cac861ab0.jpg
I used to LOVE total annihilation.
Glad to find out that we have more in common. =)I still have the discs for the main game and the expansion packs. One of the neat things about the game was that you could put the game disc in a CD player and it'd play the soundtrack.Anyway, they actually released a 3D version a couple of years ago online (for free)...where they took the game and allowed you to zoom way in and view the field from any angle.

I find that I cannot do well at both cash games and tournaments in the same day. Bricked 8 $60 Turbos this evening (18-man and 45-man). Get it in as 80% favorite, lose. Get it in as 60% favorite, lose. Get in as 20% dog, lose. Over and over and over. I feel like I get it in with straights against top two on the turn a lot and manage to lose.That said, I did win a good chunk in cash games, so I suppose I can't complain too much.