• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, I keep hearing the same excuse from BCS supporters that playoff would destroy the fact that it is a COLLEGE sport... you know, the whole student first athlete second deal. playoffs would take way too much extra time away from studies that are already happening bla bla blaI don't care. I actually like the BCS if they didn't commit such heinous acts. The system would work just fineI mean, about this year, I thought certain things were obvious. I mean... Kansas? West Virgina? what the HELL?! Didn't everyone know that they were done?! Hawaii also got screwed huge. Sure, we can go on and on about the Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Ohio State, etc battle for who should be in the top game, but I think my 3 previous questions are the worst.About the Big 10, I wouldn't dump any teams. Every year is different and things will turn around. Who knows? With my Hoosiers picking their heels back up and Purdue (I love them both... I know, weird) always being a solid team, the Big 10 could.......... maybe........ possibly....... get just a little better? Wisconsin - solid, Illinois - solid, OSU - solid, Michigan - solid...... I think the next 2 years could be really interesting for the Big 10.

Ah, I keep hearing the same excuse from BCS supporters that playoff would destroy the fact that it is a COLLEGE sport... you know, the whole student first athlete second deal. playoffs would take way too much extra time away from studies that are already happening bla bla blaI don't care. I actually like the BCS if they didn't commit such heinous acts. The system would work just fineI mean, about this year, I thought certain things were obvious. I mean... Kansas? West Virgina? what the HELL?! Didn't everyone know that they were done?! Hawaii also got screwed huge. Sure, we can go on and on about the Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Ohio State, etc battle for who should be in the top game, but I think my 3 previous questions are the worst.About the Big 10, I wouldn't dump any teams. Every year is different and things will turn around. Who knows? With my Hoosiers picking their heels back up and Purdue (I love them both... I know, weird) always being a solid team, the Big 10 could.......... maybe........ possibly....... get just a little better? Wisconsin - solid, Illinois - solid, OSU - solid, Michigan - solid...... I think the next 2 years could be really interesting for the Big 10.
I agree with the first part, I don't care about taking time away from student athletes, if they cared, no one is forcing them to play their sport. NCAA Basketball takes more time than football as it is, and if they added a playoff, it would still take less time. The BCS is retarded. What is the point of winning a Bowl game? That's like being told, "Hey you're ok, so here's an extra game, but you still aren't good enough to matter." If I was on a team with a Bowl-bid, I'd much rather play one of the top teams in the nation and try to upset them. Who cares about beating some other half assed team.People go wild for upsets. I remember watching Richmond beat Syracuse in '91, a 15 seed beating a 2 seed. I was 3, but that was still freakin' amazing. I just hate having some douche bag formula decide the champion.
Ah, I keep hearing the same excuse from BCS supporters that playoff would destroy the fact that it is a COLLEGE sport... you know, the whole student first athlete second deal. playoffs would take way too much extra time away from studies that are already happening bla bla blaAbout the Big 10, I wouldn't dump any teams. Every year is different and things will turn around. Who knows? With my Hoosiers picking their heels back up and Purdue (I love them both... I know, weird) always being a solid team, the Big 10 could.......... maybe........ possibly....... get just a little better? Wisconsin - solid, Illinois - solid, OSU - solid, Michigan - solid...... I think the next 2 years could be really interesting for the Big 10.
lol the players missing class is such a lame excuse. First the games are on Saturdays, so they would only miss Friday classes. Second every other division uses the playoff system, are App St or Mount Union's student athletes any different than Ohio State or LSU? Third, most of these games would take place over christmas break. Fourth, Basketball and Baseball players miss more class than football players because of midweek games. It's all about the money the 6 BCS conferences get under the current system, they are scared to change to a system that doesn't guarantee them at least as much as they get now.I hope you're right about the Big 10 getting stronger, they need it. Zook has always been a great recruiter and Dantonio is a very solid coach. It would be nice to get back to having 4-5 teams that are ranked in the top 25 every week. The problem is that OSU and Mich are the top 2 teams too often, so whoever loses the last week of the season drops with no chance of moving back up.
I almost made this it's own topic, because it's just so ****ing hilarious.Howard Lederer's New Strategy vs. Phil Hellmuth:http://youtube.com/watch?v=ghaRrG1sLkA&feature=relatedBegins at about 4:05.
HAHA!K8 vs 88c'mon phil, he's got the nuts... if you were the champion you claim to be, it's an easy lay down. you KNOW you're going to get sucked out on! 4.5 - 1 is no good.... 11-1 maybe
So was it a catch or did he bobble it?EDIT: I know it was clearly a catch, also Naismith good work on perdicting Ravens win by 200.
we need to play HU before I go on vacation in 2 weeks. PM me d00d!
So was it a catch or did he bobble it?EDIT: I know it was clearly a catch, also Naismith good work on perdicting Ravens win by 200.
Inspired performance by the Ravens yesterday. The Ravens really left it all on the field last night and deserve to be commended for it. As for my prediction, I guess I was thinking about this weekend when the Patriots drop 90 on the Steelers and hold Pitt to -110.
Inspired performance by the Ravens yesterday. The Ravens really left it all on the field last night and deserve to be commended for it. As for my prediction, I guess I was thinking about this weekend when the Patriots drop 90 on the Steelers and hold Pitt to -110.
The Steelers usually play NE tough in the regular season and blow it in the playoffs. The formula for beating the Pats has been established. The scheme exists and the Steelers have the defensive personnel to execute it. They need to run good on offense.
The Steelers usually play NE tough in the regular season and blow it in the playoffs. The formula for beating the Pats has been established. The scheme exists and the Steelers have the defensive personnel to execute it. They need to run good on offense.
one week at a time I get closer to winning my bet!!!!! February is going to be the sweetest month ever.
one week at a time I get closer to winning my bet!!!!! February is going to be the sweetest month ever.
All I can say is that I was counting my money last night. Anyway, oddly enough, I will be in Vegas for the Superbowl again this year. Think I'll be betting on the Steelers to beat the Packers in the big game.

Which means that I can put my money on the Steelers to cover the spread?

Pittsburgh at New England, Sunday, December 9 -- 4:15 PM ETBETUS.COM Open 52.0 O/U-13.0 n/aIt's looks like that game isn't set on most of the other websites just yet, but from that information it seems that we're getting 13 points NE favorite and 52 points on the total score.

can someone explain a point spread for me re: betting?I have no idea what it means and I'm tired of saying I just want both teams to have a good time :club:

Not sure if you guys saw this yet, but Chip Resse died last night. From pokernews.com: News FlashDavid 'Chip' Reese, 1951-2007Reports are quickly circulating about the sudden and untimely passing of poker legend David 'Chip' Reese overnight. Details are still emerging on Reese's shocking passing, and a complete obituary on one of poker's all-time greats will be published in the near future. Reese was a feared cash-game legend and a regular member of the 'Big Game' at the Bellagio, who focused less on tournaments than other players. Still, Reese demonstrated his poker mastery by winning the first-ever $50,000 H.O.R.S.E. event at the WSOP in 2006, his third career WSOP bracelet.

Pittsburgh at New England, Sunday, December 9 -- 4:15 PM ETBETUS.COM Open 52.0 O/U-13.0 n/aIt's looks like that game isn't set on most of the other websites just yet, but from that information it seems that we're getting 13 points NE favorite and 52 points on the total score.
Bet the under and Pittsburgh on the spread
Not sure if you guys saw this yet, but Chip Resse died last night. From pokernews.com: News FlashDavid 'Chip' Reese, 1951-2007Reports are quickly circulating about the sudden and untimely passing of poker legend David 'Chip' Reese overnight. Details are still emerging on Reese's shocking passing, and a complete obituary on one of poker's all-time greats will be published in the near future. Reese was a feared cash-game legend and a regular member of the 'Big Game' at the Bellagio, who focused less on tournaments than other players. Still, Reese demonstrated his poker mastery by winning the first-ever $50,000 H.O.R.S.E. event at the WSOP in 2006, his third career WSOP bracelet.
Wow, didn't hear that. I thought he was relatively young. That's sucky.
Wow that does suck. I don't think Chip is that old. And yet, Doyle keeps on truckin'
can someone explain a point spread for me re: betting?I have no idea what it means and I'm tired of saying I just want both teams to have a good time :club:
Um, well, I'm not a pro about this by any means... not even really an amateur.The point spread is set by the books... it goes up and down from start time to game time by the amount of money bet on each side.For example... we have the Steelers vs. PatriotsA book sets a spread today for Patriots winning by 13.You bet on the Patriots, they have to win by 14 or more to win even money (minus the vigor for the house).You bet on the Steelers, they can lose only up to 12 to win even money.If the Patriots win by exactly 13, it's a push.Now, say you feel like betting on the Steelers (underdog), you want to find the book that will give you the most points. If one gives you 15 and the other gives you 12, take the 15, obviously.Some people, I hear, try to make money by betting in-betweens. If book A is giving the Steelers 12 and Book B 15, then you would bet $50 on Book A for the Patriots to win by 12 or more and then bet $50 on Book B for the Steelers to lose by 15 or less. Either way if the score difference is outside of the 12-15, you have your bet covered and can't lose (except for the portion that the house takes out of winning bets). If the score happens to be between 12 and 15, then you win both bets.I wish I knew more about sports betting, where to do so, how to do this, etc to actually take advantage of things like that.
Team A vs Team B if team is a favored they get a "spread" Team A -13 vs Team B so Team A has to win by at least 13 points in order for you to win. Just a way to keep boring games interesting.