*** Ottawa Senators Thread ***

It's a huge advantage to have home game feel on the road. Same thing with Leafs games here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sens-Sabres   Bring a pillow.

Danny,   My private school wife disagrees. Sadly so do I. I was pretty adamant that we weren't going to pay for private school but now that he's here and it's getting close deciding on schools, I'm

Oh crap I missed the obvious one Lidstrom. Debate over.

Posted Images

Crazy night.. a friend grabbed some 300 center ice tickets off of stub-hub tickets for $50 at ~4pm. Of course two of them get rejected when we tried to go in. So we have to "chill out" at the Stub Hub booth for a while... think we are going to get some 200 row Bs but they got snapped before we got them. More waiting around we ended up getting 100s row G. And because we missed all of the first period (less ~3 minutes) they ended up comping the tickets. Not a biggie since it was a snoozer.

TBH the Sens were pretty asstastic the first 50 minutes of the game... out-hustled, couldn't make a pass, Karlsson average, Cowen crap, etc. A lucky redirect, friendly icing call or two later, and a Price injury and boom a win.

First game of the playoffs. It was blue and white day at our school. Pretty sure some kids wore non leaf stuff. So dumb.

why dumb?

not every kid roots for the Leafs or even cares about hockey.

Crazy night.. a friend grabbed some 300 center ice tickets off of stub-hub tickets for $50 at ~4pm. Of course two of them get rejected when we tried to go in. So we have to "chill out" at the Stub Hub booth for a while... think we are going to get some 200 row Bs but they got snapped before we got them. More waiting around we ended up getting 100s row G. And because we missed all of the first period (less ~3 minutes) they ended up comping the tickets. Not a biggie since it was a snoozer.

TBH the Sens were pretty asstastic the first 50 minutes of the game... out-hustled, couldn't make a pass, Karlsson average, Cowen crap, etc. A lucky redirect, friendly icing call or two later, and a Price injury and boom a win.

pretty cool you had tickets, by the looks of the highlights would be a fun place to be for a Sens fan no matter how bad the first 50 were.

20130507220733.jpg

First time in the 100s; fortunately in the 2nd and 3rd all of the goals were in our end as you really couldn't see jack at the other end. From there it was amazing to be that up close to the action.

why dumb?

not every kid roots for the Leafs or even cares about hockey.

That's what I meant. This story is dumb. Not letting kid wear Sens jersey

More and more (and more...and more) I keep finding public school related stories that make me reasonably glad I don't have children who will have to go through it. The education system is a genuine travesty. I'd sell a kidney to finance private school if I had kids.

BTW: this article doesn't state it but it was a 'jersey day' at a school that normally wears uniforms -- so I have a feeling it was a private school. I get that when the school drafted it up; hey kids wear your Habs jersey to school day is a nice idea and that a Sens jersey would be against that but anyone with a clue should have slapped their forehead about the mistake and let it go.

One feel good story: you might have heard about the Montreal girl that was sent home for wearing a Sens jersey (her school has a uniform policy but for Game1 you could wear a Habs jersey) for her own good. Much broohaha later and the family is going to be guests (with limo ride from Lachine) of Melnyk tonight.

http://www.1310news....abs-jersey-day/

That is pretty damn awful. Not like she wore gang colours.

More and more (and more...and more) I keep finding public school related stories that make me reasonably glad I don't have children who will have to go through it. The education system is a genuine travesty. I'd sell a kidney to finance private school if I had kids.

Private schools aren't really any better, they just don't have to answer to anyone about their stupidity.

I don't disagree about your intent though.

I.... I just can't feel that good about some poor little girl having to spend an entire evening with that nut job. Couldn't they have just given her tickets to the game?

Heh.

Danny,

My private school wife disagrees. Sadly so do I. I was pretty adamant that we weren't going to pay for private school but now that he's here and it's getting close deciding on schools, I'm actually leaning toward private. It really depends on the district you live in though. At the moment we live in the 15th ranked district in Michigan. The school

District I was in ranked in the 400's and that sounds about right. If we can stay here, which is looking impossible as the housing market has gone back to precrash prices, then we'll send him to public school. But if we have to move and the district goes lower than #50 in rank we have to think about private.

I will say that between my wife and her family and friends and some of my friends who went to

cranbrook and my classmates, there is a distinct difference in success and general intelligence and such. Sure those cranbrook kids act a bit elitist but I really have no issue with that. Jin is better than everyone else...lol

• Like 1

I just checked...my high school is currently ranked 301st out of 947 schools statewide...my middle school is 521 of 1135.

No kind of idea what the rankings were when I went there, but I can't imagine my test scores were doing them any favors.

How's Jin's English coming along Steve? Also, I'm confused why you would have to move out of a house you own because the market is rebounding...am I reading that wrong?

Food for thought on private schools. In stats you have correlated variables or predicting variables. So is going to a private school really a predictor for better results or correlated because of other factors? (ie: in Freakonomics the authors "determined" that the real predictors for academic success was reading to children and sending children to education orientated summer school instead of letting them regress in front of the tv for 8 hrs a day).

Not that there aren't intangibles and factors unique to your situation (creating an academic atmosphere, social network that you want built, etc, etc, etc...).

We don't own. We've been renting because we planned on moving out east but then we had to wait for Jin. The plan was get Jin then look at DC. But Jin took longer and Liz landed an awesome job she enjoys so now we stay.

We could just continue renting the house we're in but we hate it. Great for us but not do much for him. Rental prices have doubled in the area so we stayed for another 6 months. Now we are looking to buy. But staying in area will be rough. The house next door sold for $169k 2.5 yrs ago, now it sells for $450k. It's ridic. Got a house around the corner selling for 1.9M.

Regarding His English. He's behind in talking a bit but he understands us fully. I can tell him to put the cap back on his packet and take it in the kitchen and throw it away and he'll do it but he can't say any of those words. Pediatrician isn't worried. Guess its normal for his situation. They develop language slower but one day he'll just start talking. I'm scared of that lol. we do keep track and he can say close to 200 words. Maybe 100 clearly.

I work with him a lot and he has this thing where Every color he says blue, every letter is either A T S or O, and every number is two.

This weekend I was trying to get him to say one. He would watch me say it and then when I asked him to try it he would say "woooooooo-twooooooo." when I try three he says trrrr-twoooo. And laughs each time. We believe he knows what he is doing.

Food for thought on private schools. In stats you have correlated variables or predicting variables. So is going to a private school really a predictor for better results or correlated because of other factors? (ie: in Freakonomics the authors "determined" that the real predictors for academic success was reading to children and sending children to education orientated summer school instead of letting them regress in front of the tv for 8 hrs a day).

I'm sure there is. But if I have to place him in a public school that ranks super poorly, the private school will be better. Except for my wallet. If I can keep him here then public school it is. But yes patenting has a lot to do with success as well if not more in some cases than the school.

Not that there aren't intangibles and factors unique to your situation (creating an academic atmosphere, social network that you want built, etc, etc, etc...).

We don't own. We've been renting because we planned on moving out east but then we had to wait for Jin. The plan was get Jin then look at DC. But Jin took longer and Liz landed an awesome job she enjoys so now we stay.

We could just continue renting the house we're in but we hate it. Great for us but not do much for him. Rental prices have doubled in the area so we stayed for another 6 months. Now we are looking to buy. But staying in area will be rough. The house next door sold for $169k 2.5 yrs ago, now it sells for $450k. It's ridic. Got a house around the corner selling for 1.9M.

Regarding His English. He's behind in talking a bit but he understands us fully. I can tell him to put the cap back on his packet and take it in the kitchen and throw it away and he'll do it but he can't say any of those words. Pediatrician isn't worried. Guess its normal for his situation. They develop language slower but one day he'll just start talking. I'm scared of that lol. we do keep track and he can say close to 200 words. Maybe 100 clearly.

I work with him a lot and he has this thing where Every color he says blue, every letter is either A T S or O, and every number is two.

This weekend I was trying to get him to say one. He would watch me say it and then when I asked him to try it he would say "woooooooo-twooooooo." when I try three he says trrrr-twoooo. And laughs each time. We believe he knows what he is doing.

Oh, gotcha...that makes sense. I'd love to see the housing market in Rochester take giant leaps like that, but I don't expect to see that as we didn't get hit all that hard to begin with. I basically stole my house from it's previous owners, so I'd expect to be able to get a great price for it in 10 years or so when I go looking to upgrade.

Good stuff about the boy, glad to hear he's doing well. Has he learned that pants are a necessary evil yet? I'm looking forward to the day when he looks into the camera and announces the FCHL draft order after picking the paper out of the hat.

Now that the weather is nice he is putting pants on without too much of a fight. Lol

How old is Jin now?

I think him and my younger boy will be the same draft year?

I will say that between my wife and her family and friends and some of my friends who went to

cranbrook and my classmates, there is a distinct difference in success and general intelligence and such. Sure those cranbrook kids act a bit elitist but I really have no issue with that. Jin is better than everyone else...lol

Jin's going to Cranbrook?!?! Yo, thats a private school!

Dude, thats where Papa Doc went, aka Clarence.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the day when he looks into the camera and announces the FCHL draft order after picking the paper out of the hat.

me too!

Nice to hear he, and his parents, are doing well Steve.

I'm sure there is. But if I have to place him in a public school that ranks super poorly, the private school will be better. Except for my wallet. If I can keep him here then public school it is. But yes patenting has a lot to do with success as well if not more in some cases than the school.

I'd probably do the same thing -- not like having children is "rational" anyways ;)

Serge, few days past 2.5. Oct 27 2010.

Arp, my wife is a Cranbrook grad. That movie was funny, a lot of people there were pissed. She thought it was hilarious.

I DL the Facebook APPbto post a vid of Jin trolling me, it's up now.

Danny,

My private school wife disagrees. Sadly so do I. I was pretty adamant that we weren't going to pay for private school but now that he's here and it's getting close deciding on schools, I'm actually leaning toward private. It really depends on the district you live in though. At the moment we live in the 15th ranked district in Michigan. The school

District I was in ranked in the 400's and that sounds about right. If we can stay here, which is looking impossible as the housing market has gone back to precrash prices, then we'll send him to public school. But if we have to move and the district goes lower than #50 in rank we have to think about private.

You're right that there are real benefits from private school, and while the decision is a bit different in the U.S., that is mostly because the quality of a public and private school education is so dependent on factors outside of the school, as Duane suggests.

I really can't say which is better or worse in general, just saying there is plenty of ridiculous decisions at both. We just don't see them making news as much in private schools because neither parents nor the community have much recourse at a private school, whereas you can raise all sorts of crap with congressman and lawsuits at public schools!

Thankfully, I live in an area with a fantastic grade school that is a 15-minute walk, and no private schools within a 20-minute drive, so the decision is easy.