When you and every other white person starts saying it about other white people, I'll believe it. Every time I have ever heard that phrase it was in regard to a black person.
Well, to be fair.. I've heard it used about white people by a white person.. but only after that white person got called on being racist, and said " oh, well, Larry the Cable guy isn't well spoken, I'm not racist!"
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to be fair.. I've heard it used about white people by a white person.. but only after that white person got called on being racist, and said " oh, well, Larry the Cable guy isn't well spoken, I'm not racist!"
That hurts my head.
Just so he doesn't think we're ganging up on him
Please, I'm an adult. I know I've said something that has inadvertently offended some people and I'm trying to explain that I really never meant to do that while apologizing to those that were offended.Secondly, I see your point, I just don't agree with it. I'll call anyone pink, purple or green well spoken. I majored in English in college and have an affinity for anyone with a decently large vocabulary. This is the reason I've gotten so defensive. It's the language I love, not the color of the person speaking it.While I really do apologize to those that were offended, and assure you that I meant no harm, this has gotten a bit ridiculous. I just think it's a bit unfortunate that certain phrases have to immediately be associated with certain races. However, in debating this, I do realize I've made a "Tilgman-esque" error, but I'd argue I'm in the same boat - there was no intent to harm, it's just one of those things where I didn't realize people were so anal about terms being used. However, look back at this argument and you'll see why Tiger doesn't touch race with a 100 foot pole - whatever you say and whatever intentions of good it may have, someone is always going to disagree with it and find fault in it somewhere, white, black, Hispanic, whatever...
Please, I'm an adult. I know I've said something that has inadvertently offended some people and I'm trying to explain that I really never meant to do that while apologizing to those that were offended.
I let you in on a secret. I don't really care if you think I'm ganging up on you or not, I just wanted to take a random pot shot at the big ten.
While I really do apologize to those that were offended, and assure you that I meant no harm, this has gotten a bit ridiculous. I just think it's a bit unfortunate that certain phrases have to immediately be associated with certain races.
I don't think any of us were directly offended.I just wanted to point out something you seemed to be harping back on several times in this thread, and while you are correct that it is unfortunate, that's just how our society is.
The point, that you missed, and the reason black people find that kind of thing insulting, is the phrase" That guy is well spoken" is never used for white people. If you interviewed Steve Young's Mom, and She was intelligent, literate, you'd never once take notice of that fact, or bring attention to it. It's something only used for black people, because white people are seemingly so surprised that a black person can speak in complete sentences.
What about the 7 minority families within 100 yards of me that would vehemently argue with you about this first statement? Does that make them racist to their own races? The first time the race issue was brought up at a subdivision bbq I honestly could not believe what I heard coming out of their mouths. BTW, this is GA...race and bbq go hand in hand. Oh wait, I can't say that. On the second bolded part, the only thing that would catch my attention about this is why the hell is she out of the kitchen and giving interviews anyway.Oh yeah..and how an intelligent, literate person could believe in magic underwear. One of those statements about Mrs. Young comes without a SW..I'll let you guess which one.BigD, I agree with you 100% that family, friends, and schools shape the vast majority of a youth's behavior. edit: Unfortunately, I see a lot kids whose real/imaginary worlds are so intertwined it's as if these athletes are their friends. Whether these athletes like it or not, they ARE role models and that is not going to change until they start collecting equivalent salaries to the rest of us. The longer everyone tries to deny it and just say they shouldn't be role models the more damage it potentially causes.I'll be the first to say you are very well spoken. Oh wait, I can't say that either.
I let you in on a secret. I don't really care if you think I'm ganging up on you or not, I just wanted to take a random pot shot at the big ten.
The Big Least is so much more deserving though...
What about the 7 minority families within 100 yards of me that would vehemently argue with you about this first statement? Does that make them racist to their own races?On the second bolded part, the only thing that would catch my attention about this is why the hell is she out of the kitchen and giving interviews anyway.Oh yeah..and how an intelligent, literate person could believe in magic underwear. One of those statements about Mrs. Young comes without a SW..I'll let you guess which one.BigD, I agree with you 100% that family, friends, and schools shape the vast majority of a youth's behavior. edit: Unfortunately, I see a lot kids whose real/imaginary worlds are so intertwined it's as if these athletes are their friends. Whether these athletes like it or not, they ARE role models and that is not going to change until they start collecting equivalent salaries to the rest of us. The longer everyone tries to deny it and just say they shouldn't be role models the more damage it potentially causes.I'll be the first to say you are very well spoken.
You go ahead and ask those families if they've ever heard a white person describe another white person as well spoken, and see what they say.And I guess, what I'm saying is " role model" is completely blown up and out of proportion. Who cares if athletes are " role models" or not? It won't have any noticeable impact on kids behavior, except maybe like a kid sticking out his tongue when he lays a ball up like Jordan or something..
And I guess, what I'm saying is " role model" is completely blown up and out of proportion. Who cares if athletes are " role models" or not? It won't have any noticeable impact on kids behavior, except maybe like a kid sticking out his tongue when he lays a ball up like Jordan or something..
There are a lot of kids who put all their eggs in this basket and completely ignore their education. I am not saying Kobe, Lebron, or any other athlete should take a majority of the blame, but when is the last time you have seen a "stay in school" commercial or ad. Wait, they can't make them any more because the athletes these days would be incredibly hypocritical to make them. It is such an incredibly difficult situation and I don't even claim to know the start of it. All I can base my opinions on are what I see day in and day out at various schools. I would say it sounds like you have a much better handle on these topics than anyone else posting in this thread, but it doesn't mean I don't disagree with some of the stuff said.
You go ahead and ask those families if they've ever heard a white person describe another white person as well spoken, and see what they say.
I do this on a daily basis as well as compliment their writing skills. Just a few weeks ago I called out all of the boys in an 8th grade language arts class because they were absolutely horrific while reading "The Outsiders" out loud. Does that make me sexist?
The black people in my family would argue back.JS.
I'm not saying some people wouldn't. My experiences have been those that have broken the mold and succeeded don't have much sympathy for those that try to make excuses and pull the race card every chance they get. I am not saying my experiences are universal nor should it be blanketed to an entire race. I was merely asking a question.
pretty good golf playerhey lebowski you still got a Hawaii flag hanging from your porch???
HAHA.....that was wishful thinking wasn't it? God I would loved to have seen a UGA/USC national championship. NCAA playoff FTW pleeeeeeeze!!!