Dogs Vs Cats

Which is more intelligent: Dogs or Cats?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more intelligent, in general...

• Dog
    • Cat
    • The Orly Owl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If humans weren't around, cats would pretty much rule the world (the land part anyway). They're the essence of smart/fast/strong/agile.One more thing...cats put their crap away; dogs eat manure/vomit. How is this even an argument?

One more thing...cats put their crap away; dogs eat manure/vomit. How is this even an argument?
QFT - My dog used to eat other animal's shit. It's disgusting. And my other dog would never listen, and was nearly impossible to train. She did some stupid things, despite being a relatively (supposedly) smart breed of dog. My cats, on the other hand, are genius. They make me laugh and have great personalities. They get into all kinds of crazy mischief because they figure out things they shouldn't be able to. My dogs were just dumb, had horrid breath, and walked around licking themselves (and trying to steal the cat food).

Dogs, though it doesn't seem so due to their ever increasing dependence on humans. If we're talking wild dogs or wolves, then it's dogs by a long shot. The fact that a chiwawa craps around the house is a result of inbreeding and human intervention, and not the inherent intelligence of canines.

Dogs, though it doesn't seem so due to their ever increasing dependence on humans. If we're talking wild dogs or wolves, then it's dogs by a long shot. The fact that a chiwawa craps around the house is a result of inbreeding and human intervention, and not the inherent intelligence of canines.
You wanna go up the cat family tree, I'm pretty sure a Lion would own a wolf AINEC.
You wanna go up the cat family tree, I'm pretty sure a Lion would own a wolf AINEC.
It's really hard to say, but it certainly would be close. Wild dogs are much closer to dogs than a lion is to a house cat (which is what we're comparing) so considering the intelligence of a wild dog is a lot more appropriate than bringing a lion in to the discussion. I guess using a wolf was the lion equivalent, so we can ignore the wolf altogether if you'd like.However, I would argue that a wolf and even a wild dog is "smarter" than, let's say, a lion. The only thing that I am going by is the complexity of hunting patterns (since each animal's entire life is based on hunting, then their ability to hunt is the best way to measure intelligence, just as I would measure the intelligence of a mathematician by how well he does math or an author by how good his literary work is). The hunting patterns of wild dogs, wolves, coyotes, etc. are certainly more complicated and intricate than those of a pack of lions (or whatever I'm supposed to call groups of what animal; I'm so sick of each animal getting it's own group name. And how stupid is the term "murder" for crows. God!), who instead focus on strength and speed rather than strategy.
who instead focus on strength and speed rather than strategy.
Wouldn't it be dumb to ignore your strengths?Pack of lions kills a pack of wolfs, you can even go down the chain to tigers, cheetahs, and get the same result I'd expect.If you want to talk about who adapts to the wild better, I'm willing to bet your ordinary house cat would outlive a dog in the wild.
Wouldn't it be dumb to ignore your strengths?Pack of lions kills a pack of wolfs, you can even go down the chain to tigers, cheetahs, and get the same result I'd expect.If you want to talk about who adapts to the wild better, I'm willing to bet your ordinary house cat would outlive a dog in the wild.
I think cheetahs are actually alot more like dogs then cats, something about retractable claws. I did a project in Grade 4. I agree that the cat would survive longer. Dogs are like children they are very dependant.

I've owned many dogs and cats. I think cats in general are smarter and less needy. But, I did have a border collie that was pretty darn smart.

Pack of lions kills a pack of wolfs, you can even go down the chain to tigers, cheetahs, and get the same result I'd expect.
Exactly. The pinnacle of the dog is the wolf. However, wolves would get owned by a bunch of the big cats.Lions have quite a bit of strategy to their hunting. Also, a lot of cats aren't as fast as their prey...so they use stealth/intelligence to hunt. Wolves can run, but they very often just win with their stamina.
I think cheetahs are actually alot more like dogs then cats, something about retractable claws. I did a project in Grade 4. I agree that the cat would survive longer. Dogs are like children they are very dependant.
The Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) is a vulnerable member of the cat family (Felidae), a poor climber that hunts by speed and stealth. As such, it is placed in its own genus, Acinonyx. It is the fastest of all land animals and can reach speeds of up to 105 kilometres per hour (65 mph) in short bursts up to 460 metres (500 yards), and has the ability to accelerate from 0 to 110 kilometres per hour (70 mph) in three seconds, faster than most supercars.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah
Exactly. The pinnacle of the dog is the wolf. However, wolves would get owned by a bunch of the big cats.Lions have quite a bit of strategy to their hunting. Also, a lot of cats aren't as fast as their prey...so they use stealth/intelligence to hunt. Wolves can run, but they very often just win with their stamina.
Aren't feral dogs a tremendous problem in California? I've heard that they form packs and are quite a problem. Ithink it takes a lot of intelligence to reach across breeds, etc and form a pack and function...
Ummmmm.....HELLO????How many cats can play basketball, volleyball, baseball, soccer AND football???
How many dog's can Disney make a mockery of in a year? Cat's aren't' dumb enough to get clowned in their films, you just strengthened the cat argument.
How many dog's can Disney make a mockery of in a year? Cat's aren't' dumb enough to get clowned in their films, you just strengthened the cat argument.
Are black dudes always this cynical and humourless? :D I guess my deeply embeded sarcasm of using Air Bud to make the dog point wasn't obvious enough.However, golden retrievers >>>>>>>> cats any old day. So there. :club::D:D
A group of Russian scientists using a simple phonetic alphabet based on different dog barks, measured a Welsh border collie as having an I.Q human equivalent of 45.
somehow i dout thatlinks?
I'm going with cats for one reason alone.let's say you're leaving town for three days. If you leave out three days worth of food for a cat, there will most likely still be a little left when you return at the end of the trip. If you were to do the same for a dog but you come home after only two days the dog dish would be empty. Furthermore, the dog will have left you plenty of doggy landmines all over the house due to the increased food intake, whereas the cat will still use the cat box and all you have to do is pitch the sand.
That's because dogs are scavengers and cats are hunters.
Cheetahs are the only big cat that does not have retractable claws, to which one might attribute some of their speed ability.