Flush Draws With A Straight On The Board

1/3 NL buy in from $60-$300. I bought in for $100 and am sitting at about $140. I look down to find Ah8h in MP1. I looked over for a brief second and noticed that MP2 (he bought in for $200) was showing his cards which were 7c8c so I decide to call the 3. MP2 raises to 10 and there are 2 callers so I decide to call. Flop came 4h5h6s. So now I know that MP2 has flopped his straight but I have the nut flush draw. BB checks, I check, and MP2 bets $10. I am thinking okay I have the perfect odds to call, then the CO (is playing $100) who is this young kid who I figured to be "making a play" raises to $25. What's my play?

based on the price, you are getting the right odds, but your problem here is that MP2 is going to re-raise a very high percentage of the time...i think you have to fold unless MP2 is someone who might smooth-call here with a straight, for whatever reason

1/3 NL buy in from $60-$300. I bought in for $100 and am sitting at about $140. I look down to find Ah8h in MP1. I looked over for a brief second and noticed that MP2 (he bought in for $200) was showing his cards which were 7c8c so I decide to call the 3. MP2 raises to 10 and there are 2 callers so I decide to call. Flop came 4h5h6s. So now I know that MP2 has flopped his straight but I have the nut flush draw. BB checks, I check, and MP2 bets $10. I am thinking okay I have the perfect odds to call, then the CO (is playing $100) who is this young kid who I figured to be "making a play" raises to $25. What's my play?
IF i AM READING THIS RIGHT THE GUY WHO FLOPPED THE STR8 IS ACTING AHEAD OF YOU SO IF HE JUST CALLS THE RERAISE YOU CAN PLAY IF NOT AND HE RERAISES THEN YOU PROBABLY NEED TO FOLD. YOU KNOW YOU ARE DRAWING TO THE NUT FLUSH AND 2 7'S CHOP IT FOR YOU, BUT THE GUY MAKING TE FIRST RAISE COULD HAVE 2PR OR TRIPS. IF I READ IT WRONG AND YOU ARE IN BETWEEN THE TWO PLAYERS YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE WAY CUZ THE MADE STR8 IS GOING TO COME OVER THE TOP. IF YOU PUSH AND THE STR8 IS THE ONLY CALLER YOU WIN 335 FOR YOUR 130 BET. NOT BAD ODDS EITHER CUZ YOU STILL HAVE 2 CHOP CARDS AS WELL.
Thinking "out loud" - So the pot is 75, 25 more to you. If you call that puts the pot at 100, and you have 105 left. If MP2 shoves it will put the pot at 220 with 105 to call. You're 2 - 1 against making your hand, so you're getting the right price to chase.This of course assumes that the CO folds. If he calls the all in you're likely against a set or two pair, which puts you at about a 3 - 1 dog in the hand. But the pot will be 325 (your pot that is) and 105 to call, so again, you're getting the right price. So I would say that you should call, hope the MP2 is an idiot and slowplays his hand so you can draw cheaply. Likely though you're getting it all in here.
So you saw that you had the original raiser crushed and didn't re-jam the **** outta this preflop because...?
There were two other callers...The young kid I wasn't too scared of but the BB was a tight player and I figured him for something playable so I saw a flop to see where the hand would be.
Thinking "out loud" - So the pot is 75, 25 more to you. If you call that puts the pot at 100, and you have 105 left. If MP2 shoves it will put the pot at 220 with 105 to call. You're 2 - 1 against making your hand, so you're getting the right price to chase.This of course assumes that the CO folds. If he calls the all in you're likely against a set or two pair, which puts you at about a 3 - 1 dog in the hand. But the pot will be 325 (your pot that is) and 105 to call, so again, you're getting the right price. So I would say that you should call, hope the MP2 is an idiot and slowplays his hand so you can draw cheaply. Likely though you're getting it all in here.
I think this is where my math failed me. I thought that I was 4-1 against a made straight so i figured the 10 bet was the perfect amount to see the next card. So it is 2-1 against a straight that you will hit your flush?

Would anyone else have told the player that you saw his cards? I don't know, I know it's MP2's fault and all, I just don't like playing poker like that. My .02..

Would anyone else have told the player that you saw his cards? I don't know, I know it's MP2's fault and all, I just don't like playing poker like that. My .02..
It was actually the only time that he made that mistake. I just happened to look over to see how my friend was doing in a tournament and noticed that he had his cards in the open. The point of the story is do you call your flush draw if you know there is a straight already on the board and the CO has raised.
Thinking "out loud" - So the pot is 75, 25 more to you. If you call that puts the pot at 100, and you have 105 left. If MP2 shoves it will put the pot at 220 with 105 to call. You're 2 - 1 against making your hand, so you're getting the right price to chase.
not unless there's a significant chance that MP2 won't shove, and why wouldn't he? so when you call the 25 you know you're really risking 130 to win 205 (assuming the CO is mucking)
not unless there's a significant chance that MP2 won't shove, and why wouldn't he? so when you call the 25 you know you're really risking 130 to win 205 (assuming the CO is mucking)
NO, YOU ARE RISKING 130 TO WIN 335CUZ HE HAS TO CALL 130. iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
There were two other callers...
Exactly, if they had anything that could stand a significant reraise, they would have done it themselves. Jam and pick it up without seeing a flop.
Exactly, if they had anything that could stand a significant reraise, they would have done it themselves. Jam and pick it up without seeing a flop.
Okay so cool, then I win $40 woo hoo, I would rather play out the hand. You know see the flop see what develops maybe win more money...but that's just me. Apparently we have different styles so you pick up all the pots you want pre-flop with A8s and I'll keep to my style and not overvalue a hand such as A8s.
I'm not overvaluing A8, it's not a good hand, but...YOU KNOW WHAT HIS CARDS ARE......sorry for the outburst.
Yes but I don't know the other two hands. Ax where x>8 is a definite possibility as well as small pairs coming in cheap and they may decide to take a coinflip. Either way it's not a good push PF IMO. Plus why push out the guy who's cards i know. What if an 8 happens to be the top card on the flop, then I can go ahead and take all his money most times. Either way I like to play flops and see what they have.
You bought in short, which leads me to believe you are playing with scared money. Go ahead and fold.
You posted a dumb response which leads me to believe you are an idiot. Go ahead and STFU

I'm still completely baffled by the whole"I saw his cards and I know I have him totally dominated and that he can't call a reraise preflop, so isntead of reraising and taking the risk-free dead money, I decide to slowplay him and take a flop where he flops the nuts on me and now I'm asking if it's correct to try and outdraw him" thing.This play is really awful. The few times where I have caught a glimpse of someone's cards it's always correct to reraise them if they will just fold. It's free money.

Was this post put into Strat or moved by a mod? There's no strategy content, just do the math.
Okay since allegedly all you have to do is the math then let's see i have 9 outs with 31 cards in the deck so roughly a 1:3 chance to win. there is $40 in the pot with $10 bet it makes the pot $50 now it is raised to $25 which makes the pot $75, the BB folds and now I need to decide. Well $25 x 3 = $75 so i have the right odds to call. Now i call and the guy with the straight raises to $75. now the pot is $175, now the CO folds and I have $50 to win $175. Now I have to go all in cause if i'm gonna chase i know he is going to bet the turn. Is that the correct math?I was only trying to figure out if it was +EV it to call that $25 bet with a person acting behind me who I know has a straight...but if that's too uncomplex for you then i'll just drop it.And Yes I posted this in Stat it was not moved
Okay since allegedly all you have to do is the math then let's see i have 9 outs with 31 cards in the deck so roughly a 1:3 chance to win. there is $40 in the pot with $10 bet it makes the pot $50 now it is raised to $25 which makes the pot $75, the BB folds and now I need to decide. Well $25 x 3 = $75 so i have the right odds to call. Now i call and the guy with the straight raises to $75. now the pot is $175, now the CO folds and I have $50 to win $175. Now I have to go all in cause if i'm gonna chase i know he is going to bet the turn. Is that the correct math?I was only trying to figure out if it was +EV it to call that $25 bet with a person acting behind me who I know has a straight...but if that's too uncomplex for you then i'll just drop it.And Yes I posted this in Stat it was not moved
You're awfully hostile.You can't know what the math is. All you know is that there's a bet and a raise to you and the guy behind you is holding the nuts AND YOU KNOW IT. He's gonna raise. He may shove all in cause there are a lot of draws out there. He may think he's getting tricky and just flat call. You don't know. If you do call though, he's almost always raising and then you're gonna have to stick in all of your chips with a naked flush draw. If you knew the guy behind you was gonna play too, then you'd have an easy decision.The fact is that you messed up by not reraising preflop and ending the hand right there.
I'm still completely baffled by the whole"I saw his cards and I know I have him totally dominated and that he can't call a reraise preflop, so isntead of reraising and taking the risk-free dead money, I decide to slowplay him and take a flop where he flops the nuts on me and now I'm asking if it's correct to try and outdraw him" thing.This play is really awful. The few times where I have caught a glimpse of someone's cards it's always correct to reraise them if they will just fold. It's free money.
I find this funny because in another thread here is what you said
Thinking about poker in terms of NEVER and ALWAYS will cost you TONS of money.