Indianapolis Colts

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I was rooting for the Colts to make it to the Super Bowl undefeated.Now I want them to lose their first playoff game.
QFT. I like the Colts, I like Manning, I like Wayne. I like the professionalism of their entire organization.And I LOVED the fans boooing the shit out of Caldwell for pulling his starters. When you have a chance for history, you man up and go for it. Further, when you are playing at home, you OWE the fans who pay huge money to come see you play your best effort. On the road in Buffalo next week, I can understand this at least a little bit. At home, it just plain sucks.The Colts fans who attended that game deserve refunds.And I do hope the Colts lose in the divisional round now. Just so teams in the future do not copy this bullcrap. We would be better off if the conventional wisdom changed to "you need to play hard the whole season to keep momentum" even if that is not really true.
Further, when you are playing at home, you OWE the fans who pay huge money to come see you play your best effort. On the road in Buffalo next week, I can understand this at least a little bit. At home, it just plain sucks.The Colts fans who attended that game deserve refunds.
IMO this is more important than any other concerns. or atleast should be. of course every fan wants their team to win the super bowl, but they dont support their teams and in turn help the players get huge contracts to watch them just sit on the bench because they might get hurt. you knew you might get hurt when you sign up to play the game. the owner pays the players to play because that brings in the fans which makes them money. i cant really fault Caldwell for wanting to do what's best for his team. he's the coach, that's his job. but it's the organization's job to do what's best for the fans, because when it comes down to it fans drive this league.

Caldwell? Come on, guys. We all know that was Polian's decisions. Resting starters when the team has its position locked up has been his M.O. since Buffalo.Honestly, I care much less about an undefeated season as I do about winning the Super Bowl, so if this strategy helps, then so be it. However, it did suck watching them give up the game. Oh well. Whatever. Now the players will have three weeks to focus on what's really important: the Playoffs.I would like to encourage everyone to antagonize the Colts as much as they can from now until February. Please send as much vitriol their way as possible. Tell them they suck. Rank the Chargers higher. Call them chokers. Laugh at their running game. Mock Peyton's pronounced forehead.All of that only raises the chances of them winning it all. And all of that will make winning it all that much sweeter.Go Colts! Super Bowl bound!

Caldwell? Come on, guys. We all know that was Polian's decisions.
I agree with this.I've also heard a lot of people saying it's disrespectful to the game and all that, but I've never heard that said when an undefeated season isn't on the line. Teams do this all the time when they have their seeding locked up.If I was a player, however, I would really, really want to go for it and I think Manning did too. As a fan, I wanted them to go for it because it makes everything more interesting. I also don't think resting a few of your players for a quarter and a half accomplishes anything.Oh, and I heard Ron Jaworski say, "Nobody remembers the Patriots went 16-0 because they don't have a ring." Really Jaws? Really? Nobody remembers that?

I think the biggest problem with this (other than screwing over your own fans who paid good money to see the team forfeit in the second half) is that this storyline of 'was resting the players the right thing to do' will loom over everything Colts related going forward. Like a stinky cloud. If you don't rest your players, it only becomes a media circus if someone crucial gets hurt. If you rest the players, you guarantee your team will be answering questions about this strategy and hearing stories about this strategy right up until the divisional playoff round.And if they get bounced in the divisional round.....oh boy.

I also don't think resting a few of your players for a quarter and a half accomplishes anything.Oh, and I heard Ron Jaworski say, "Nobody remembers the Patriots went 16-0 because they don't have a ring." Really Jaws? Really? Nobody remembers that?
The quarter and a half did accomplish something. It allowed the Colts to lose the game so that management didn't have to make this move next week in Buffalo with the Colts at 15-0. You think the backlash is bad now? It would have been significantly worse next week.I wish they played it out, but a strategy is a strategy. And Polian is still the best GM in the league, so all the fans that are calling for his head need to quit it. Hopefully, when his son Chris takes over, this strategy will be laid to rest. Of course, Peyton won't be around, so the whole issue will probably be moot.As for Ron Jaworski's comment, I think he meant that no one celebrates the Patriot's 16-0 regular season because they lost the Super Bowl. I hope that's what he meant.

I must be in the minority who thinks it's not a big deal. If the Colts had announced the Thursday before that they were gonna rest all the starters in the 2nd half, I really don't think there'd be near the outrage there is right now. Not that it's even close to being the same thing, but I'm pretty okay with the Packers starting 4-4 if they make the Super Bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
One a scale of 1 to Manning, how much would losing Freeney hurt the Colts against the Saints?
I would say 2.5 to 3.5, but possibly higher.