7-7 In A 45 Man Sng

Blinds 50-1009-handedViallian ~ 6000 (UTG) He is TAG, but c-bets every pot he plays. He is selective pre-flop, but will c-bet flop regardless.Hero ~ 3400 (OTB) I've played really tight so far, won a big pot early to get to 3000, and have chopped my way up 3400.Hero dealt 7 :club: -7 :D .UTG raises to 300, all fold to Hero OTB, Hero calls hoping to flop a set against a big stack.Flop: (Pot: 700)A :D -K :) -2 :D Villian checks, Hero checks.Turn: (Pot: 700)7 :D Villian checks, Hero bets 400, Villian calls. River: (Pot: 1500)9 :) Villian bets 400. Hero ___ ?Should we flat call or raise?
Putting someone like this on AA or KK when you have a set would be an INSANE read. With your stack size and the money in the middle, and the fact that it feels like AK makes me say PUSH!. You haven't played with the man long enough to talk you out of pushing. Also, your odds of cashing / winning go up immensely if you double up here. He could really have any ace and be thinking that he's slow playing you. People are not computers. Just because is c bets a lot doesnt mean he's c betting a solid hand here. This is an easy push.
Putting someone like this on AA or KK when you have a set would be an INSANE read. With your stack size and the money in the middle, and the fact that it feels like AK makes me say PUSH!. You haven't played with the man long enough to talk you out of pushing. Also, your odds of cashing / winning go up immensely if you double up here. He could really have any ace and be thinking that he's slow playing you. People are not computers. Just because is c bets a lot doesnt mean he's c betting a solid hand here. This is an easy push.
If you wont go broke here, then you shouldn't be playing poker.
This pot dropped me to 2300 which I turned into 67,500 by the end of the tourney.
You may want to take that back... :-/I don't hate going with your read here. So what if you happen to lose some value... if you play ABC always do the obvious move, well, I truly believe you won't be more successful at poker than the majority of players. NH sir, way to stick w/ your read.

Hands like this (where they are based on rediculous read based thinking) shouldn't be posted on the forum. There's no way that the correct LONG TERM play here is to flat call. Against this player, this time, maybe (or if that's the case, why not fold?) you made the right laydown, but with the little amount of information in any poker forum post, there's no way anyone can have the same read or tell you to flat call here.

Hands like this (where they are based on rediculous read based thinking) shouldn't be posted on the forum. There's no way that the correct LONG TERM play here is to flat call. Against this player, this time, maybe (or if that's the case, why not fold?) you made the right laydown, but with the little amount of information in any poker forum post, there's no way anyone can have the same read or tell you to flat call here.
I agree... I'm stupid. :icon_frown:I just couldn't help posting it... its the kinda hand that gets your blood flowing... [when you see the K-K]
Does anyone else find his check on the flop, check on the turn, smooth call on the turn, and tiny bet on the end just the LEAST bit suspcious???
Not at all. You may be behind, but the odds of that are low. So stick to this advice:
Does anyone else find his check on the flop, check on the turn, smooth call on the turn, and tiny bet on the end just the LEAST bit suspcious???
I do.Now putting sick reads aside, let's do some math. Assuming we put villain on only KK+ and AK+, we are a 60/40 favorite on the river.1) Simply calling has an ev = +9042) Pushing, and always getting called has an ev = +1,470The question is, does Villain ever fold AK to a push (i.e. only called by AA and KK)? If Villain folds as little as 8% of the time, the ev is the same as calling the river.If we give OP the benefit of the doubt on his read, it makes it even closer...
(i.e. only called by AA and KK)?
22 calls a shove too, and assuming he played KK this way when he flopped a set, 22 fits the way this villain would play as well.
22 calls a shove too, and assuming he played KK this way when he flopped a set, 22 fits the way this villain would play as well.
True, but he's not raising UTG with 2-2. Period.
True, but he's not raising UTG with 2-2. Period.
Cause I'm not villain. But I've done this before, granted I don't raise with small pairs all the time, but every once in awhile I will.

in the long term your flat call was really, really bad...you are going to get paid enough worse hands

Although I do agree this is a bad attempt at a brag post I do however agree with OP that this is a very interesting hand.I've played in situations like this myself and have made calls, but mostly, I've gone broke. I agree that in the long term, this probably isn't a +EV play, but there is a chapter in Barry Greenstein's book that I also like: Don't justify bad calls with math.What truly defines a great player is his ability to adapt to ANY given situation. I even remember DN writing something along the lines of: "If you don't ever throw pocket kings away before the flop you ain't trying hard enough".And now what OP was looking for in the first place: Nice call! :club:

Here's what I see.. the OP made a horrible flat-call in the 1-in-million-chance that his opponent held KK or AA. Now he's bragging about it. The problem is, even in this specific situation, it's a horrible call. It's a push. Instantly. See the AA or KK and say "good hand" and walk away.THE POINT HERE: YOU MADE YOUR HAND AND DIDN'T ATTEMPT TO GET BEST VALUE OUT OF IT.It was just as likely that the opponent had AK or was (heaven forbid) making a bluff at the pot, trying to use his table image.If this opponent has been following up his bets EVERY TIME, he would have no reason NOT to do it with KK, and hope that someone has an A in his hand and gets fed up with his betting every flop. For the opponent, betting was actually the better play to begin with.The sad thing is it turns out the OP made a "good" call... and now he is convinced he made a great play, etc. etc. and he'll be "proud" to continue laying down sets on un-flushed and un-coordinated boards.Hindsight is 20/20 but don't let your hindsight cloud your future vision.I wonder if the OP would fold QQ on a Q99 board, thinking the opponent had 99?!?!?

Here's what I see.. the OP made a horrible flat-call in the 1-in-million-chance that his opponent held KK or AA. Now he's bragging about it. The problem is, even in this specific situation, it's a horrible call. It's a push. Instantly. See the AA or KK and say "good hand" and walk away.THE POINT HERE: YOU MADE YOUR HAND AND DIDN'T ATTEMPT TO GET BEST VALUE OUT OF IT.It was just as likely that the opponent had AK or was (heaven forbid) making a bluff at the pot, trying to use his table image.If this opponent has been following up his bets EVERY TIME, he would have no reason NOT to do it with KK, and hope that someone has an A in his hand and gets fed up with his betting every flop. For the opponent, betting was actually the better play to begin with.The sad thing is it turns out the OP made a "good" call... and now he is convinced he made a great play, etc. etc. and he'll be "proud" to continue laying down sets on un-flushed and un-coordinated boards.Hindsight is 20/20 but don't let your hindsight cloud your future vision.I wonder if the OP would fold QQ on a Q99 board, thinking the opponent had 99?!?!?
Probably... I mean he HAS to have 9-9, right?swI will totally agree that this hand is totally read dependant and therefore should not be in an online forum discussion. Looking back at it know, I posted this in a bias state of mind. Looking at it from a simple, "I've got 7-7, here's the board, here's the action, what should I do?" standpoint, it is def. a raise. BUT, to say that always moving in is right (especially in this spot, with my read on an opponent I've played with many times) and flat calling is always dumb is ridiculous because of situations like this. This isn't a 1-1,000,000 shot either, it happens all the time (set over set). Again, I apoligize for posting something that is read dependant.