Toronto Raptors Fanclub

So with the Garnett to Boston deal I have been listening to all the experts on how they are immediately a top 3 team and have to contend with the Eastern powers for dominance.I decided to pick up the Raptors cause for a moment and drop the following e-mail to PTI...I wonder if it will get on the air :club:
Thanks Jadaki...I appreciate the love for the 416 :D
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall seeing the Raps doing anything interesting this offseason, how much better do you think the Raps are gonna be?
Another year will equal Bosh even better (works too hard for that not to be true), Ford playing more under control (I hope) and Bargnani much, much better (vast improvement over the course of his first season that will continue now that he's not weighed down by an appendix). No big deals, but time is definitely on the Raptors side compared to other top east teams.Do they win the east this year? Probably not, I think they need more playoff seasoning, but I think they have a chance to make some noise.
Another year will equal Bosh even better (works too hard for that not to be true), Ford playing more under control (I hope) and Bargnani much, much better (vast improvement over the course of his first season that will continue now that he's not weighed down by an appendix). No big deals, but time is definitely on the Raptors side compared to other top east teams.Do they win the east this year? Probably not, I think they need more playoff seasoning, but I think they have a chance to make some noise.
Great post from a newbie...welcome!

I just got back from Europe and I was contemplating starting the 2.0 thread but I can't keep up with fleung. Toronto is a young team and young teams don't need rehauling every season especially when coming off a 47 win season. That being said I don't expect that kind of year this time around. Swirsky's going on that it'll be a 50 win season but the NBA is going to be a lot better this year and he's always overreacted when it comes to the Raps. They're still soft and there's glaring problems at C if Bargnani doesn't learn the North American delicacy of the bicep curl and push up. His skill will improve in my mind without question. If you ever look at his Benetton-Treviso highlights you see what he's capable of down low. But he has to put on weight to be successful in the front court in the NBA. Bosh put on 30 pounds and he's still a little soft at the 4 let alone the 5. Toronto has one single game on National TV in the US for the first time since Vinsanity. Which is nice for the Americans with families in the States like Bosh, Ford, Parker, Mitchell etc. They deserve that much.The fact that the second game of the season, Toronto vs. Boston, on a sunday, isn't going to be on ABC should put to bed any thoughts that the Raptors are respected in any way, shape or form in the American market. It practically sells itself and Garnett Jr. vs Garnet was always so exciting. There's no reason not to show it, other than Canadian teams are kryptonite in the States. Maybe it'll be on CBC and the fans in Europe/Upstate NY/Washington can get to watch it. I'm pretty sure you can pick up CBC there.This post is messy but I'll make more sense in a few weeks. :club:

I just got back from Europe and I was contemplating starting the 2.0 thread but I can't keep up with fleung. Toronto is a young team and young teams don't need rehauling every season especially when coming off a 47 win season. That being said I don't expect that kind of year this time around. Swirsky's going on that it'll be a 50 win season but the NBA is going to be a lot better this year and he's always overreacted when it comes to the Raps. They're still soft and there's glaring problems at C if Bargnani doesn't learn the North American delicacy of the bicep curl and push up. His skill will improve in my mind without question. If you ever look at his Benetton-Treviso highlights you see what he's capable of down low. But he has to put on weight to be successful in the front court in the NBA. Bosh put on 30 pounds and he's still a little soft at the 4 let alone the 5. Toronto has one single game on National TV in the US for the first time since Vinsanity. Which is nice for the Americans with families in the States like Bosh, Ford, Parker, Mitchell etc. They deserve that much.The fact that the second game of the season, Toronto vs. Boston, on a sunday, isn't going to be on ABC should put to bed any thoughts that the Raptors are respected in any way, shape or form in the American market. It practically sells itself and Garnett Jr. vs Garnet was always so exciting. There's no reason not to show it, other than Canadian teams are kryptonite in the States. Maybe it'll be on CBC and the fans in Europe/Upstate NY/Washington can get to watch it. I'm pretty sure you can pick up CBC there.This post is messy but I'll make more sense in a few weeks. :club:
Hey buddy, WELCOME BACK!! I was wondering where you were.In response to the size issue with Bargnani. If you see recent pix of him you'll know that he's gained some serious muscle in the off season. If I had to make a guess I'd say somewhere around 20 LBS. It's a significant change in his look.

Thanks for the welcoming fleung.My big 3 concerns for the upcoming season1) Will Bosh stay healthy?2) Can Bargnani defend starting centers?3) How many games will I be able to see from the UK?

Thanks for the welcoming fleung.My big 3 concerns for the upcoming season1) Will Bosh stay healthy?2) Can Bargnani defend starting centers?3) How many games will I be able to see from the UK?
1 - Yes2 - How many good centers does he really have to guard?3 - No idea, GL with that sir.
2 - How many good centers does he really have to guard?
Curry and Randolph, Shaq after he gets back from his customary injury... hmm. Not a whole lot of other ones but even players of Bogut's calibre can back you down if you're underweight. the Raptors will have at least 3 players on the floor at any time that can shoot threes. with all 5 at any time good from 15 to 20 feet. Its just a matter of Bosh and Bargnani moving inside every now and again.Thinking about that just there makes me a little more excited for this season. On paper they just seem so hard to defend. I wish Parker and Garbajosa were 26.
  • 2 weeks later...

"Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh withdrew from U.S. basketball training camp Wednesday because of a left foot injury." - grr. Same problem that slowed him down last year :club: My worry with Bargnani is not so much that he gets torched for big points but that he is over-matched in terms of size/experience and gets saddled with quick fouls. On the plus side I don't think many centers will like trying to guard him.

plantar fasciitis isn't a big deal. Sam Mitchell didn't want him playing in USA basketball this year because he had so much taken out of him last year. Not to mention he was pulling industrial minutes near the end of the season.It won't be that big of a deal, but I'm real happy with him being out of the USA Team. I think we'll notice a difference in his energy level at the beginning of the season. Bargnani didn't have any problems with fouls last year, but that's probably because he wasn't playing starting minutes and he was playing a very awkward position that doesn't really exist in basketball. I noticed a lot of "in the way" defense.If he's expected to guard centers a lot of the time, he might be a foul magnet considering he doesn't have the strength to keep people out.Here's hoping otherwise.

I was a raptors fan when vince carter was there. Then i was a nets fan... hes a dunking master

I was a raptors fan when vince carter was there. Then i was a nets fan... hes a dunking master
If you ever mention that whining little bitch in this thread again, other than to curse/insult/laugh at him, I will personally go to Manhattan and castrate you with a rusty pair of pliers.
If you ever mention that whining little bitch in this thread again, other than to curse/insult/laugh at him, I will personally go to Manhattan and castrate you with a rusty pair of pliers.
why don't you tell him how you really feel? :club:
See below...
Thank you for saving me the trouble...Now, I don't knwo much about basketball, but I will watch the Raps quite a bit, as I have done over the past fwe years. One thing I've liked abuot the development of this group of players is the flexibility and depth they have. I think they can field a variety of line ups to give them edges in different ways. This is probably standard in the NBA now, so I'm not telling you true fans anything you don't already know, but I can see them hitting a 50 win season this year if they can beat the injury bug. They were severely hampered last year, if I'm not mistaken, including Garbo going down with a broken leg.Go Raps!
Now, I don't knwo much about basketball, but I will watch the Raps quite a bit, as I have done over the past fwe years. One thing I've liked abuot the development of this group of players is the flexibility and depth they have. I think they can field a variety of line ups to give them edges in different ways.
A lot of teams try to do, few are as deep as the Raptors are. The Raps and Pistons would get my vote as the two deepest teams in the East right now.
A lot of teams try to do, few are as deep as the Raptors are. The Raps and Pistons would get my vote as the two deepest teams in the East right now.
WOW...I can't believe you just said that. you love me, you REALLY love me!! :club:

they definitely have more depth than every team in the Atlantic and most teams in the East. 50 wins just seems a lot more difficult than last year. Who knows the ceiling on Boston this year, the Nets will in all likelihood be healthier than last season and the Knicks are looking a little better as well.With a young team growth is important and that's all we should hope for. As for the Carter thing, don't mind them addaminsane. Its an almost perfunctory hate at this point :club:

they definitely have more depth than every team in the Atlantic and most teams in the East. 50 wins just seems a lot more difficult than last year. Who knows the ceiling on Boston this year, the Nets will in all likelihood be healthier than last season and the Knicks are looking a little better as well.With a young team growth is important and that's all we should hope for. As for the Carter thing, don't mind them addaminsane. Its an almost perfunctory hate at this point :club:
now THAT'S the perfect way to describe Carter...perfunctory hate. man, you should send that into TSN or something.
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope this move doesn't blow-up in Garbo's face. Jorge Garbajosa to Join Spanish National TeamSeptember 2, 2007The Toronto Raptors confirmed Sunday that Jorge Garbajosa has been given consent to play in the European Championships 2007 as the Spanish Basketball Federation has successfully obtained adequate insurance with regard to his left leg/ankle injury.“Although our medical staff has advised Jorge that another surgery is the best option toward a full and complete recovery, he has chosen to pursue a non-surgical path back to the basketball floor,” said Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “Jorge is aware of and understands all of the inherent risks of competing at this time and maintains his desire to move forward accordingly.“The Spanish Federation has displayed great commitment to Jorge by securing an insurance policy supporting his decision and allowing him to play for Spain in the European Championships as well as for the Toronto Raptors at the start of the upcoming NBA season.”

Damn, I should've known better but I tried to buy 4 tickets for the December 16 game vs. the Celtics. Of course it's sold out!I'd just deal with it except it's a birthday gift for 2 really good friends. Anybody have options that don't require me to sell my first born?

Damn, I should've known better but I tried to buy 4 tickets for the December 16 game vs. the Celtics. Of course it's sold out!I'd just deal with it except it's a birthday gift for 2 really good friends. Anybody have options that don't require me to sell my first born?
Scalpers have been known to give discounts, but only if you give really good head.

I bought a third of a pair of Raptor's Season Tickets last week. In the first row of the Upper Bowl. I used to have Season's Seats right next to these but I gave them up a couple years ago when I was having trouble finding others who wanted to take some of the games.I don't know which games I'm going to yet as we haven't done our draft for the games. I have one preseason and 14 regular season. I pick 2nd, 5th, 8th etc for my choice of games.I think the front row in the upper bowl are the best seats for the non-rich. $80 per pair face value, nobody in your way in front of you and extra leg room.

I bought a third of a pair of Raptor's Season Tickets last week. In the first row of the Upper Bowl. I used to have Season's Seats right next to these but I gave them up a couple years ago when I was having trouble finding others who wanted to take some of the games.I don't know which games I'm going to yet as we haven't done our draft for the games. I have one preseason and 14 regular season. I pick 2nd, 5th, 8th etc for my choice of games.I think the front row in the upper bowl are the best seats for the non-rich. $80 per pair face value, nobody in your way in front of you and extra leg room.
Bob as always i would be interested in a couple of games...If all your games arent accounted for...
  • 3 weeks later...

It sucks being a Raptor fan whose hometowns are both just slightly out of "weekend trip" reach from where the Raptors play. I was hoping to get to see them in Spain for EuroLive but that's not going to happen. Screw you guys :club: