Best Firewall/anti-virus Software?

Which one(s) would you suggest to protect the computer you are playing poker on? Can i download these and pay with visa or should i go to a tech shop and buy the software?

I ponied up for a Norton suite (Internet Security) which has a firewall, site fraud protection, e-mail filter, etc. Not sure how great it is, because I still get spam e-mail, but I do have quite a bit of confidence about the security integrity of my comp. Also, I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro, but I have to reinstall, as I just switched boxes. I also use Spyhunter for adware and cookie stuff.I don't think any single product will cater to all your needs, so I'd go with a couple of different progs that you can config to your specific needs.

Virus--Trend Micro Internet SecurityFirewall--If you're using a router you don't need oneSpyware--Ad-AwareSpam--Mailfrontier DesktopBTW, Norton sucks balls.

Firewall--If you're using a router you don't need one
Excuse my ignorance but what is a router? I have adsl connection if that's relevant.

Best antivirus software is AVG. Download for free at free.grisoft.comBest firewall is comodo. Not sure of where to download it. Google it.Both of these are free. Designed by hackers for stopping hackers.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a router? I have adsl connection if that's relevant.
A separate box that your dsl modem would plug into allowing you to share your internet connection with more than one computer. Some dsl modems have a router built in. If you have a wireless connection, you most likely have a router. Most inexpensive routers will have a stateful packet inspection firewall built in these days, better than any software firewall. Even if the router didn't have a spi firewall built in, it effectively hides your computer from the internet. Malicious programs see the router instead of the PC. It is worth having even if you never plan on having more than one PC and they are rediculously easy to set up. Otherwise, the built-in windows firewall is sufficient or Trend Micro package has a firewall as well.
Best antivirus software is AVG. Download for free at free.grisoft.comBest firewall is comodo. Not sure of where to download it. Google it.Both of these are free. Designed by hackers for stopping hackers.
I may be mistanken but i dont think AVG is free anymore, i know they have a subcription that you pay for which means, whatever they give for free these days is probably some trial product, or a "full version" that sucks. BUt that doesn't take away from the product it's great.
A separate box that your dsl modem would plug into allowing you to share your internet connection with more than one computer. Some dsl modems have a router built in. If you have a wireless connection, you most likely have a router. Most inexpensive routers will have a stateful packet inspection firewall built in these days, better than any software firewall. Even if the router didn't have a spi firewall built in, it effectively hides your computer from the internet. Malicious programs see the router instead of the PC. It is worth having even if you never plan on having more than one PC and they are rediculously easy to set up. Otherwise, the built-in windows firewall is sufficient or Trend Micro package has a firewall as well.
Yeah i think i have one of those plugged in the phone socket on the wall. There are two places on it one says "phone" which i plug the phone cable and the other one says "internet" which i plug the adsl cable in. I didn't know they were that effective for security i thought they were just to seperate phone and internet lines. Thanks.
Yeah i think i have one of those plugged in the phone socket on the wall. There are two places on it one says "phone" which i plug the phone cable and the other one says "internet" which i plug the adsl cable in. I didn't know they were that effective for security i thought they were just to seperate phone and internet lines. Thanks.
That's not a router, that's just the way your internet service provider installed the connection in your home.
I think you're probably talking about a dsl filter. Not the same thing.

Not read what everyone has said, but I use AVG for anti virus as it takes up minimal system resources (unlike mcafee and norton!) and it is FREEEEEEEEEEEE!For firewall I use windows built in firewall.

I've not had any issues with Norton, but it's good to hear about the issues users are having. It will only help when things go bad, if they ever do...

I'm an ex IT guy.You should have a hardware firewall, standard on all routers now a days.AVG still has a free version.Norton and Mcafee suck, they are system hogs.Kaspersky or Trend Micro in that order ainec.Mark

I'm an ex IT guy.You should have a hardware firewall, standard on all routers now a days.AVG still has a free version.Norton and Mcafee suck, they are system hogs.Kaspersky or Trend Micro in that order ainec.Mark
Should i format my pc and reinstall windows before buying those programs or is running avg enough to clean it?

qy & i have avast for antivirus, spybot & adaware for those dang pesky cookies & what notavg is good if you can get it....they keep changing their mind if their going to keep it up or not

qy & i have avast for antivirus, spybot & adaware for those dang pesky cookies & what notavg is good if you can get it....they keep changing their mind if their going to keep it up or not
I actually downloaded version 7.5.476 and i am running the test right now.

McAfee and norton are horrid products. They keep your system safe enough, but they kill the speed of your computer. It's already been said before, but look into Kaspersky Security Suite, best consumer grade protection you can get... Trend micro is goot too, as well as Computer Associates ISS (when the program works)...Just say no to Norton/Mcafee

Anti Virus - AVGfirewall - routerspyware - adaware and spybotrandom cleaners - crapcleaner and CleanuPData removal - CBL data shredder and BC wipe

pctools.com check em out they have killer antispy/adware program for 25 a year.its called spyware doctor and there registry mechanic is also worth the $25 i was stupid and downloaded bearshare for the music swap and that has the P2P platform that made my computer slow to a crawl. loaded the registry mechanic and it was as good as new after i ran the registry tool. need ram check out memorystock.com they also have greast prices on memory. bought a 512 kingston stick for my junky dell for $65 and put the 256k beside it man what a differance that makes in speed.go to download.com and they have links to all the programs you'll need and you can research them also