Playing With Pros Live, Wsop One Time?

Me and a couple of my friends are turning 21 within the next 6 months, in time for the next WSOP. I'm definitely not rolled to play in any of the events, but it's definitely an experience I'd be willing to pay for, on top of air fair and hotels It'd just be another expenditure for a great vacation. I know the lower buyin events ($1500) are probably least likely to attract the high rollers, but that's probably all I could afford. I was wondering, how many of you who played in any of the WSOP events actually got to play with, or talk to, any of the high profile pros? Any good stories about doing something along these lines would be appreciated too. Oh and if you think the wsop is overrated and there's a cheaper way to possible get in a game with one of the greats let me know!

Good question. I'd be interested to see some feedback from those who played in the non-Main Events. I am planning on entering one or two of these in next year's WSOP just for the experience. I am much more of a Cash game player - I am sure the tourney guys are going to welcome my dead money.

if your going to play a 1500 event, hope you make it deep and then maybe you might get to play with some of them, but probably not. The low buy in events dont get too much action from the big names especially if there is another tourney that afternoon with a bigger buy in. I played one this summer event 15 or something. It was a 1500 buy in. I saw Freddy Deeb and that was it. There was a good amount of them in it, from what the chip counts said, but hell I was only there for 2 hours anyways.

Maybe I'm missing something, but playing with players that are decidedly better than you are isn't a very good reason to go outside your roll. Spend the money on a hotel upgrade and hang around the Rio for a couple afternoons, you'll get all the pro exposure you can handle.

I say if you want to, go for it.I am not a poker pro with a bankroll, far from it. However, I do want to go out and play in a WSOP event, and I will in the next 2-3 years. I'll look at it as a vacation, spend $3000 total or so, and come back after a week. Maybe get lucky. Its all about the experience. I don't think you'll get a lot of pros unless you pick a small buy in game like HORSE, SHOE, or OMAHA. Good luck, may see you at my table.

if your going to play a 1500 event, hope you make it deep and then maybe you might get to play with some of them, but probably not. The low buy in events dont get too much action from the big names especially if there is another tourney that afternoon with a bigger buy in. I played one this summer event 15 or something. It was a 1500 buy in. I saw Freddy Deeb and that was it. There was a good amount of them in it, from what the chip counts said, but hell I was only there for 2 hours anyways.
I also played event 15, and also only lasted two hours, but I only played because I won my way in through one of those Tilt bracelet race satellites. I would definitely try to satellite in before spending an amount out of your bankroll. These are tough tourney's to get through and your odds of sitting with a pro are not good. There were no pro's at my table, but David Williams sat to my left at the table next to me, and Erik Seidel was a couple tables away. My friend who was also in the event had the Eskimo at his table. Obviously it would have been nice to make the final table and play with Hellmuth...maybe next year.

HeyLike Ajs said....if u wanna rub elbows with the best poker players....simply go to the Rio and hang out....won't cost a dime and u will see literally everyone.As far as pro's go...I played Event 49 $1500 NL. I had Joe Awada and Beth Shak at my very 1st table...Kathy Liebert was also at my table early. I also played w/ Chad Brown, Greg Mueller, and a host of internet kids I had heard of. In some ways I am the WORST person to ask since, I played WELL OUT OF MY ROLL when I went to the WSOP this year. However...as it all turned out...I can hardly complain since it literally helped change my life.Now...if u just want "experience" playing great players. Simply play a smaller field $100+ mtt online. (Like a $22r, or one of the $100+ on Tilt....usually under 200 runners...75+ of which are studs) You will run into as much competition as u can handle. For a MUCH cheaper price.Hope that helped and it sounds like my blog may be of interest to u. I basically "lived" the dream u speak of.