So Ive decided to make the jump to nl. Primarily been a shorthanded limit donkey and from advice from some friends am going to give nl a genuine shot. I do play alot of nl tournies so not a complete nl donk even though I realize there are inherit differences between cash games and tournaments. I figure to split my time, at least in the beginning, about 50/50 nl/fl to see how i like nl and hopefully at least maintain my winrate through the learning curve. Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I stick with one or the other? Any advice as to the big differences between the two games would be nice.Also any advice would be greatly appreciated such as where to play, what limits to start at, what books to read etc. I've got pokertracker/acehud up and running and am going through some tutorials to gain some knowlege with these programs but any help in this regard would also be appreciated.Lastly, any other advice on what other programs to help me get going would be nice. Right now Im trying to find some good autohot key programs to run so some reccommendations would help.

I'm not much of a limit player, but I think these are some differences:

1. Don't try the free card play. Opening the betting often means you have to commit your whole stack or fold.
  2. Don't concern yourself too much with attacking and defending blinds.
  3. Sometimes you have to give up on a nice draw.
  4. Keep track of your opponents' stack sizes, so that you know who is pot-committed, who can reopen the betting, etc.

Are you going to play 6-max online? I'm not really sure what book to recommend in that case. Otherwise, Ciaffone & Reuben's Pot-limit and No-limit Poker.

I'm not much of a limit player, but I think these are some differences:
  1. Don't try the free card play. Opening the betting often means you have to commit your whole stack or fold.
  2. Don't concern yourself too much with attacking and defending blinds.
  3. Sometimes you have to give up on a nice draw.
  4. Keep track of your opponents' stack sizes, so that you know who is pot-committed, who can reopen the betting, etc.

Are you going to play 6-max online? I'm not really sure what book to recommend in that case. Otherwise, Ciaffone & Reuben's Pot-limit and No-limit Poker.

Wow. Not having given the issue much thought before, this all sounds pretty good.
I love the free card play in NL... mehNL is great because you can make tons of little mistakes just don't make big ones and you will be ok.
i thought it was the other way around?i virtually NEVER play limit (i know, "one trick pony" & shyt... watevr sue me) but i know in NL, you can be patient & play perfectly for 6 hours straight, make one wrong decision /mistake & loose everything in front of you... that's impossible in limit....
i thought it was the other way around?i virtually NEVER play limit (i know, "one trick pony" & shyt... watevr sue me) but i know in NL, you can be patient & play perfectly for 6 hours straight, make one wrong decision /mistake & loose everything in front of you... that's impossible in limit....
The idea is that limit is about making a bunch of small decisions, each of roughly the same weight, and getting most of them right for your edge.In no limit, you can make many mistakes in small pots but if you play the bigger pots perfectly than you can "make up" for your previous mistakes in a way that you can't in limit (which is why good LAG players can be betting, betting, betting with junk in small pots but in a big pot they always seem to have a hand).So, to incredibly oversimplify, no limit is about not making that one wrong decision that loses all of your chips, and limit is about treating each decision equally.
make one wrong decision /mistake & loose everything in front of you... that's impossible in limit....
if you lose everything in front of you, that qualifies as a big mistake IMHO.
The idea is that limit is about making a bunch of small decisions, each of roughly the same weight, and getting most of them right for your edge.In no limit, you can make many mistakes in small pots but if you play the bigger pots perfectly than you can "make up" for your previous mistakes in a way that you can't in limit (which is why good LAG players can be betting, betting, betting with junk in small pots but in a big pot they always seem to have a hand).So, to incredibly oversimplify, no limit is about not making that one wrong decision that loses all of your chips, and limit is about treating each decision equally.
never looked @ it like that before.....i c what he's talking about now...