33 In Sb Multi-way Pot

This hand came up in the 1st level of a €20 freezout, so no real reads on players.Blinds were 25/50, starting stacks were 2500, I had ca. 2650 and 3h3s in SB,UTG raises to 250, with 2500 totalPlayer in mid position calls, with 3300 total,button calls, with 2200 total,I call, figuring there is plenty of value with 3 other players, and we are deep stacked enough that it's worth it to try and flop a set despite being oop.Flop comes pretty close to perfect Js 4c 3d,As there are no real draws out there that could call a 5X pre-flop I check,UTG insta-shoves for 2250Player in mid position calls pretty quicklyButton folds,It's round to me and I call after about 15 seconds,UTG shows AdAsMid-Posit shows 5h6dTurn: 4dRiver: BlankUTG jumps out of his seat and starts gesticulating wildly about how bad I played calling 225 more with 33 from the sb,Having discussed this hand with a friend, He didn't like the play of calling oop for 225 more, despite there being 3 other players in the pot, He also hated checking the set with 3 players left to act behind,Discounting the results obv. Do you think this is a fold pre-flop? And with no reads on the players Would you lead out on flop?

The check on the flop is alright, you might as well let the preflop raiser do the betting here. The call preflop is probably -ev, 2,5:1 isn't enough to call just for set value (in one of the recent posts here, simo 8-ball made an argument about that, I don't remember the exact number), but it's at worst a marginal mistake in my opinion.And btw. that sounds like a really awful donkament, and the AA guy is a complete idiot - you shouldn't take anything he says seriously. His push was much, much worse than your preflop call (and even worse than the call by the 56 guy)

This is a trivially easy preflop call. First of all, you are getting ridiculous implied odds with that many players who are that deep. I am always always always going to try and see a flop if both me and my opponent have at least 10x what he raised in our remaining stacks. Second, you are closing the betting (at least that's what it sounds like from your description). Third, small pairs are the easiest hands in the game to play post flop.Easy and very routine play, and it played out perfectly for you. NH, and tell the other guy that it's not wise to yap when you don't know what you're talking about.On the flop, I like the check here since it's not a very scary board. With more potential draws or more high cards, I'd lead and hope to get raised. But the checkraise works fine on this board.

lol our aces friend must have read Kill Phil!

Here's an update on the world for you.Everyone thinks they know everything about poker, and thinks that everyone else is an idiot, myself included. People are going to call you out on your plays. Don't let it get to you. Most people are morons, so don't pay attention to them.

Definately an easy call pf. You're getting something like 3-1 immediate odds and you're going to get a lot of action if you hit against these donks. To break even you only need to make an average of about 900 more when you hit the set (guesstimate based on 7.5-1 to hit the set and me being to lazy to count the pot). A large fraction of the time you will double or even triple up when you hit.

Well, the rule (from a 2p2 thread that I can't recall right now) says that in order to set-mine with a pocket pair, you have to keep your investment between 2 and 5 percent of your total stack. You put in 10%, so according to the rule it's a mistake. Personally I would have folded. The size of the raise screams 88-JJ or AK, and I would think that I HAVE to hit a 3 to stay in the hand after the flop. That combined with having to put in 10% of my stack and being OOP makes me fold. I don't think it's a huge mistake to call, though. You're not THAT far off in terms of stack percentage, and the number of players in the pot increases your odds of stacking someone if you hit your set. Also live tourneys generally have pretty crappy strucures, so I don't mind a little extra gambling to try to get some chips.

2+2 article on implied odds as mentioned by YBravohttp://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat...part=1&vc=1ETA: Quick summary via BKice via Pokerhaus forums..."as the article says, you flop a set 1 out of every 8.5 times. so if you take a guy's stack EVERY TIME (you know he has AA only and you know he is going all in on the flop no matter what) then you need 7.5:1 implied+express odds (say a guy raises to 100 with 650 behind). obviously this is a situation that you are never going to find yourself (even if you know a guy has a monster, some of the time it is going to be AK and he's only going to stack off when he hits an ace or king, so you have to hit your 2 outer AND have an ace or king flop)i basically use the 2-5 rule in cash games and the 2-7 rule in cash games: to call with a small PP ONLY TO SET MINE you want to call between 2%-5% (or 2%-7% in tourneys) of your stack (never more) based on how likely you think your opponent will stack off. if you assign a range of 1-10 with 10 being he will stack off on virtually any flop you STILL want to cap your range at 5%)"

The rule you two cite is certainly valid, but it only applies to heads up situations with a low pair against a higher pair. This is completely different. We have three other opponents in the pot, giving us enough implied odds if we hit our set.

The rule you two cite is certainly valid, but it only applies to heads up situations with a low pair against a higher pair. This is completely different. We have three other opponents in the pot, giving us enough implied odds if we hit our set.
math plz :club: