Villain is 44/20/1.50/28 I don't like betting the flop, as I think I get check/raised check/called there too often. But looking back betting the turn might not be a horrible idea. Anyways, as played?Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $2/$45 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $650.35CO: $368Hero: $378SB: $691.80BB: $348.70Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 8 :) A :) UTG folds, CO calls, Hero raises to $18, 2 folds, CO raises to $36, Hero calls.Flop: Q :D 5 :D 5 :D ($78, 2 players)CO checks, Hero checks.Turn: 2 :) ($78, 2 players)CO checks, Hero checks.River: A :D ($78, 2 players) :club:CO bets $48, Hero ???

Call the river.

I'm so confused. The CO smooth-called then reraised preflop? I've seen UTG and UTG+1 try this all the time with hands like AA, AK, KK, but never the cutoff! Was there a high probability that either you or the blinds were going to raise here? Perhaps there was a maniac in the BB for example?One hand that makes on all streets is QQ... but that is *only* if the CO likes to be a trappy player, *and* thinks you're aggressive. I just don't like the overbet when the ace shows up on the river, given the interest in the hand up to that point. You played the hand like a big ace, so he should *expect* you to like the river... Of course, this is just me suffering from "monsters in the closet" syndrome....I'm so confused, I either read this as total air, or trips or better.EDIT: I missed the villain's stats on the first read-through. With those stats, I am leaning *heavily* towards the villain having nothing. I think this villain would let you know a *lot* sooner if he had a big hand like QQ or 5x.

with those stats and the subsequent action, it's more likely that villain attempted a re-steal from the CO and temporarily gave up, as opposed to having trapped with a big pair. i think we find air or low PP (attempting to bluff you off what it thinks could be 88-JJ) often enough to make this +EV getting ~2.75-1.i think i like a bet on the turn. if villain did attempt a re-steal, low-mid PP and better Ax's would be likely candidates, and obviously the river is not bringing us TP very often. assuming villain isn't a donk, a delayed continuation bet (as opposed to a flop continuation bet) is harder for villain to call or c/r given the circumstances.

I'm obviously not thrilled calling the river (and I think we agree that we should've probably bet the turn), but as I told you privately, I think we should call. We won't necessarily win very frequently, but we will develop a good read for exactly what shade of donkey we're playing against.